Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I'm on Android and don't have an Iphone to try. However, I tried connecting my Garmin Fenix 5 and even that doesn't recognize my bike.. I think it uses Ant+ instead of bluetooth.
With Android you need to be on the Bluetooth settings screen in order to make your phone visible to other devices. Connect to your Kenevo there and once paired it will be visible to apps.

In list of available Bluetooth devices, I don't know what the Kenevo looks like. All I know is the '19 Levo device name begins with WSBC.....

Last edited:

DisasterHamster

Aug 6, 2019
Finland
With Android you need to be on the Bluetooth settings screen in order to make your phone visible to other devices. Connect to your Kenevo there and once paired it will be visible to apps.

In list of available Bluetooth devices, I don't know what the Kenevo looks like. All I know is the '19 Levo device name begins with WSBC.....

I've tried that too but the bike doesn't show up on the list. I even tried the Lightblue app that is supposed to see every bluetooth in range but no luck.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Dear Kenevists,

Ordered and waiting for mine, so have a few questions ... Some of which are already answered.

Standard Butchers - not good - change .

Brakes, could be better (but probably better than what I'm used to for now).

One issue seems to be crap in the back of the motor. We're a year on from some of the posts about this and the solutions, so wondering how people have managed and what worked/didn't.

@Donnie797 & @c4s2rs6 - you both installed the mudhugger front race, chopped, drilled and attached to the rear - how's this worked out over time.

@Mountain Dan - you siliconed the motor - did this stop water/dirt ingress

Or have there been other better solutions which I can't find anywhere ????

The other point seems to be pedal strikes. My HT has a low BB and suffered extensively so swapped to Miranda 150's which have pretty much solved that.(on a shimano). Is there a similar option which fits a Kenevo ? (sorry, I'm new to all the specialized/brose options).

Reactions: CjP

Brendog78

Jun 12, 2019
Australia
I got the Michelins and Cush Core all mounted up yesterday. Can't wait to test it out ?

Screenshot_20190809-063458_Gallery.jpg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Dear Kenevists,

Ordered and waiting for mine, so have a few questions ... Some of which are already answered.

One issue seems to be crap in the back of the motor. We're a year on from some of the posts about this and the solutions, so wondering how people have managed and what worked/didn't.

@Donnie797 & @c4s2rs6 - you both installed the mudhugger front race, chopped, drilled and attached to the rear - how's this worked out over time.

The other point seems to be pedal strikes. My HT has a low BB and suffered extensively so swapped to Miranda 150's which have pretty much solved that.(on a shimano). Is there a similar option which fits a Kenevo ? (sorry, I'm new to all the specialized/brose options).

I put the modified uni cycle 150mm cranks on mine and made a huge difference to pedal strikes. Basically non existent until I hit the extreme rocky stuff or massive lean on berms.

I have no coverage on the back so it gets pretty dirty but have had no issues as of yet. I also wash my bike with a Karcher bike pressure washer and the odd car pressure washer. Obviously I don’t aim for the hole but no issues yet.
I do how ever take off the covers now and then and clean out the dirt.
I have looked at putting an old tube in there so it stretches with the suspension travel. Just gotta get around to making something up.

Mountain Dan

Apr 24, 2018
Glencoe
Dear Kenevists,

The silicone treatment has worked a treat - it's still in there, and still keeping out the water and dirt. If I need to stip the engine out again - it'll just be a case of clean it up and put fresh silicone in - about as easy a fix as you can get.

re your other points - it's easy to slag off the brakes and replace them with more expensive versions - but I have found them to be absolutely perfect and they do the job very well. And that includes riding worldcup downhill tracks - so don't believe all the posts you read that slag them off

and the butcher tyres may not be the best out there, but I'm still using mine. I've had a couple of pinch punctures as the side walls are a little soft, but add a few psi in them and they're fine. no point in throwing away money by replacing immediately - change them for something different when they wear out.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Dear Kenevists,

See my post on hugger I made from car inner tyre. Quick, cheap, simple and effective. Completely stops water and crap getting into motor housing.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I ride to work and back twice a week on my 2018 Kenevo, using BLevo.
My ride to work is 60% dirt road/semi paved road - more or less on the level. and 40% techy rough climbing / descending singletracks.
For my rides to work - my settings are:
Eco 27%. Trail 45%. Turbo 65%
About 90% of my ride is in eco.
Another 9% I use trail, for short bursts.
And I use the turbo for one verry short steep climb. ( About 30 sec.)
My ride each way is about 18km with about 325m climb, and uses exactly one third of my battery.
So when I get home I've used 66% of my battery to ride about 36km with about 650m! Climbing. ( I don't charge my battery at work)
These stats are verry consistent.
So to extrapolate from that...
A full battery should give me roughly....
54km with almost a 1000m climbing! Ideally to a fully drained battery
Verry! Impressive, for a heavy aggressive style bike like this, IMHO
Tim.
The other day I did a ride which was 43k and 1350m of ascent, all in turbo (because I’m recovering from a full knee replacement) before battery got down to 5% (and automatically drops to eco). Not bad!

Motoxfreak

Oct 5, 2018
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks for the replys, I've always preferred smaller bikes so am heading in the medium direction (I think) I have the same concern as you, Icdavie with the reach being shorter, although I have had shorter reach bikes in the past. I'm not 100% sold on this longer is better thing.

The spring weight is a good shout, Anyone got any idea of a relativity cheap ohlins substitute spring?

Just got to get the Reign sold to help fund it now....
5'9" give or take and got the medium. Feels a little snug compared to the large Levo I just got off. also just purchased 3 Ohlins springs all different rates for different conditions or if I lose weight or gain. Make sure you get the one for the Kenevo as my LBS got me one for a stump jumper and it looks identical, but Ohlins reassured me it will not work on the Kenevo. Ohlins springs are about 95.00 straight from Ohlins. The ones for the Kenevo start with part number 18074.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Think the motor mud problem is the 2019 levo. The 2018/19 kenevo is fairly tough, in really nasty conditions the chain sucks onto the chainring and jams, and the motor is prone for damage if you take it wading a lot.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
if you take it wading a lot.

Horrible images of Dax in speedo's taking his beloved Kenevo for a play in the water on a summers day.

Ok, so whilst there are similarities, the muck/mud/water ingress problems into the back of the motor dont' happen on the Kenevo.. Basically it looks like the Kenevo is more - get it out of the box, ride the hell out of it. (and in my case probably swap the cranks as I will be pedal striking with my crapness - which looks like unicycles as the main option)

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I just took off the covers after a year of owning the bike and I have ridden in mud and water plenty of times.
The whole back of the motor was jammed of dirt but none of the electronics where touched. A little dusty but nothing concerning. I gave it a good blow out and good to go. Completely different design than the 19 Levo. Only like a 5- 10mm gap out back.
Kenevo was born to be wild!
I am going to make a rubber guard for it though as I don’t want to push it.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
These have suddenly hit my radar. I had always though specialized to be overpriced & poorly specc'ed & was set on a decoy next year.
I see the 2019 expert has dropped to about £4750. I appreciate a new one is about to drop, but this will be loads of money.
Geometry & spec looks good, its not far off my sc bronson 3.
I live a few miles away from berkshirecycles, who seem to be the chaps to buy from. BUT, they dont have any & are unlikely to be able to get any more in. The other option is to buy from evans, or maybe rutland or leisure lake if they price match.
Anyone bought from any of the above? I get the feeling the after sales support is going to be poor compared to berkshirecycles.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
These have suddenly hit my radar. I had always though specialized to be overpriced & poorly specc'ed & was set on a decoy next year.
I see the 2019 expert has dropped to about £4750. I appreciate a new one is about to drop, but this will be loads of money.
Geometry & spec looks good, its not far off my sc bronson 3.
I live a few miles away from berkshirecycles, who seem to be the chaps to buy from. BUT, they dont have any & are unlikely to be able to get any more in. The other option is to buy from evans, or maybe rutland or leisure lake if they price match.
Anyone bought from any of the above? I get the feeling the after sales support is going to be poor compared to berkshirecycles.

Not bought any from above as I'm in France.

There was a video yesterday of Harry Main buying one from leisure lakes I think it was.

I'd not even considered one because of price and the maybe "too much bike for a muppet" + I was fixed on buying another Shimano E8000 bike .. But saw this last week when looking for someone else and thought -- SOD IT !! :) and ordered one .. (the reduction was higher at the time) so it was a no brainer ! Free delivery to the UK I think. But still cheap for what it is in my mind !

Vélo Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert 2019 LordGun online bike store

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Haha yes it was mr mains video that spurred me into looking at these. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer & was ready to splash the cash today!

Ohh your link looks interesting, £4144 but not in black, thats a very good price for sure. Not heard of them before., has it turned up?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Haha yes it was mr mains video that spurred me into looking at these. I'm a bit of an impulse buyer & was ready to splash the cash today!

Ohh your link looks interesting, £4144 but not in black, thats a very good price for sure. Not heard of them before., has it turned up?

My last two bikes have been black and the black one does look serious ! :) But I don't mind the blue (or grey/red whatever it's called) .. It could be changed to some crazy red in the future like the one in the levo/kenevo offical rumours thread video a few pages ago.

I think I saw the black one on the specialized concept store web site ? :

Specialized 2019 Turbo Kenevo Expert

Same price leisure lakes have it listed for on-line.

I think it said 3/4 days prep and 3/5 days delivery with the free delivery option .. so hopefully Friday. Says "preparing" on the site .. I've almost used them before, but didn't .. they seem to have ok reviews on google and elsewhere.

My advice would be SPLASH SPLASH .. :) I felt so calm afterwards - ebike decision buying caries a lot of subconscious stress. Now I'm just excited.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Well I have ordered! The rutland code of save300 I noticed a few minutes ago swung it, dropping the price to £4,374.99 for the large black expert, which is exactly what I wanted & at a price that I think is very reasonable.
I expect I will rob some bits off my bronson, reserve wheels, hopefully 30mm will be wide enough & the saint brakes.
Delivery should be midweek.
Im sure the new one due in a few weeks/months will be ace, but I expect it will be 7k or so & I really dont want to spend that much.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
has it turned up?

Just arrived ! Sadly no time to do anything with the huge box at the moment ...

I think it's maybe new bike day for you too ????

Wonder if they accidentally put a 2020 bike in the box .. I think, according to Schrödinger's cat / Quantum mechanics and the entanglement theory .. as long as I don't open the box - I might have a 2020 Kenevo ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Lashings of armoured tape .. ?!?

K1.jpg

Things were looking up ...

K2.jpg

Bloody Schrödinger's cat ... it's a 2019 ..

K3.jpg

Might find sometime tonight for some assembly ..

Quick question, anyone have any good starter suspension settings for a size "L" with a 70kg rider ?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I wish I got mine in a box, spec done a shocking job of putting mine together. Add your own locktite to all the bolts! Trust me.
From memory I got 105psi in the front shock and I’m 74kgs. Rear shock I ended up with a 550lb spring. Go straight to tubeless and enjoy!
Welcome to the club!

Ps keep an eye on the rear axle bolt for the first few rides and check all linkage bolts every ride.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
You
I wish I got mine in a box, spec done a shocking job of putting mine together. Add your own locktite to all the bolts! Trust me.
From memory I got 105psi in the front shock and I’m 74kgs. Rear shock I ended up with a 550lb spring. Go straight to tubeless and enjoy!
Welcome to the club!

Ps keep an eye on the rear axle bolt for the first few rides and check all linkage bolts every ride.
You sound hugely oversprung for 74 kg. I was going to get a 550lb for my weight at about 97kg according to the spring chart.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Battery charged and pretty much together. Need to check it all over tomorrow. It powers up, connects to mission control .. seems to have a zombie walk mode if you press the down button the back wheel just turns on it's own forever .. is this for chain lubing or a pretty display mode ? :) Did a 20 meter ride just to make sure it works and it does .. The Kenevo has landed !

It certainly looks a beast ..
k4.jpg

Once question which I will regret asking for all eternity due to it's stupidity .... HOW do you tighten up the handlebar mode controller switch ?? it slid on, but I didn't notice anyway to secure it ?!?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles