Kenevo Gen1 Official 2020 Kenevo Owners Thread

GeordieKenevo

May 12, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Hey all took my new to me 2020 Kenevo out today and the Marzzochi Bomber Z1 forks felt really crap on rock gardens and general chunder unless I had the rebound about 19 clicks from fully closed at about the recommended 20% sag which is just over 100psi for my 100kg fully kitted up rider weight - does this sound normal?

Last edited:

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Forgive me if this has been asked before however what is the maximum insertion for a dropper the 2022 S3 Kenevo?

There is nothing on the Specialized website / manuals.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Max insertion is limited by the linkage bolts. They have a tab on them. If you need more room you can cut/grind off the tabs and get an extra 100mm. I cut off mine, the only problem would be if your post was long enough to slide all the way to the motor, but it would most likely just damage the cable at the bottom of the post.

dave_uk

Nov 15, 2021
uk - Staffordshire
Thought I would give an heads up on the rear cable and brake pipe wear mine has suffered:

Searching this thread I noticed there are several who have already "enjoyed" replacing the rear gear cable and brake pipe, plus the dropper cable, what a PITA. Not simple without removing the motor I see.

Decided I will replace all those while the motor is out.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
My local bike shop is telling me the full fat Kenevo is no longer in the 2024 lineup. No idea if this is true. Glad I got my 2023 expert when I did.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
A picture of my 2020 today at the bikepark, just because.
Wearing the 27.5 front wheel instead of the 29 for a change.
3+ years of ownership and still no desire to change it.

IMG_20231003_105718.jpg

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
Hello,
someone ever tried a Boxxer 29 with 180mm? The axle to crown is 582mm so its way closer then a Zeb 29 / 180mm.
I really like the mulllet setup on my Gen3 Levo and some shops here in Germany have good prices on the Kenevos.
Thank you ;-)

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Hello,
someone ever tried a Boxxer 29 with 180mm? The axle to crown is 582mm so its way closer then a Zeb 29 / 180mm.
I really like the mulllet setup on my Gen3 Levo and some shops here in Germany have good prices on the Kenevos.
Thank you ;-)
Yes common thing to do. Pushes the offset upto 56mm if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.
Worked fine for me.
IMG_20220906_113451__01.jpg

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
4 guys I ride with have mullet setups. 2 with boxxer, 1 zeb, 1 ohlins.

Don't forget the extra 20mm from the wheel/tire+ the 20mm ATC. 40mm total with 1.5-2 deg of HTA.

I'm running the 0 offset crowns to get the front end back and add weight to the front.

29er takes a lot of weight off the front and I would not recommend for an XL bike.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Thank you! Perhaps I will order an S4 Expert. I am 186cm with short torso.
What do you mean with 0 Offset crown?
The boxxer comes with 10mm crowns. On a 27.5 fork this gives a 46mm offset and with 29 lowers a 56mm offset.
0 offset crowns will reduce these numbers by 10mm. They will also reduce the already fairly poor steering lock on the kenevo due to the fat down tube.
I ultimately went to a fox40 which I feel is a better fork, plus with 18mm crowns which give a 52mm offset, allows a ton of steering lock.

Last edited:

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
Ok thank you.
Which Boxxer you had before the 40?
29 / 180mm 56 Offset?
The BB will increase by 10mm? Which setting do you run high/low?

I really liked the mullet setting on the Megawatt and now on my Levo.
Have you run both settings to compare 650b vs mullet? What was your favourite so far and why?

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Ok thank you.
Which Boxxer you had before the 40?
29 / 180mm 56 Offset?
I really liked the mullet setting on the Megawatt and now on my Levo.
Have you run both settings to compare 650b vs mullet? What was your favourite so far and why?
Yes that boxxer.
It's great whatever you do to be honest. 27.5 better at slow speed, more precise and manoeuvrable. Although I would bump the fork upto 200mm.
Mullet better for high speed, smoother and more confidence inspiring.

Is 56mm too much? I don't know, but my favourite bike had a fox49 with a 58mm offset.

My best setup was the fox 40 @200mm with a 52mm offset. The 40 feels so much better than the boxxer.
I just don't like single crown forks so wouldn't even consider one.

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Just wondering, You guys ever ride dirt bikes? They have a completely different feel through tech trails, there are a couple reasons. Aside from the power ,One is the extra weight, the other is the wheels and tires. I just put together some 27.5 plus wheels and tires, after a couple rides, I think you guys might want to try it. 2.8 Michelins on 40 mm iw rims fit fine. Sub 20 psi and some liners and the bike is unstoppable up and down.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Hey Kenevo owners,

Went for a ride (Kenevo 2020, newish 700wh battery and a replacement now done 800 mile motor) today, left home everything was fine, five miles later (its zero degrees out there) turned the bike off to go in the shop and came out n bike wouldn't turn back on again, for a good ten minutes? Removed battery, checked wasnt a water ingress issue, it wasnt all dry n looked fine, still no power, kept pushing the button and nothing, then on the long ride home after repeated trying, the fucker just came on again, second time its done this in six months...
Is there anything anyone knows of that might be causing this that needs addressing?

IMG_6508.JPG

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
@Dazzling1984 I would check the charging pins where the little plastic cover closes. My Levo was doing a similar thing, randomly turning off and then not turning on, then later it was fine. Turns out it was just a bent pin causing an intermittent short. Sorted and has been fine since.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
@Dazzling1984 I would check the charging pins where the little plastic cover closes. My Levo was doing a similar thing, randomly turning off and then not turning on, then later it was fine. Turns out it was just a bent pin causing an intermittent short. Sorted and has been fine since.
Okay, nice1, good call and thanks, i will take a closer look at the pins! Funny thing, it was running fine, then 5mins later when i came out of the shop it just refused to switch back on...riding back home and pressing the on/off switch and it just randomly comes back on, result! but kind of worrying as the day before i was miles from anywhere up a mountain where it might have been a more serious ball ache

Last edited:

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Your bike to old for the app? If so check that, I have read there are temperature safety settings on some of the bikes.
Ah, interesting! ive never used the mission control app, but im sure it does work...it has been hovering around zero on both occasions that its done this, so you might be right!!!

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
Hey Kenevo owners,

Went for a ride (Kenevo 2020, newish 700wh battery and a replacement now done 800 mile motor) today, left home everything was fine, five miles later (its zero degrees out there) turned the bike off to go in the shop and came out n bike wouldn't turn back on again, for a good ten minutes? Removed battery, checked wasnt a water ingress issue, it wasnt all dry n looked fine, still no power, kept pushing the button and nothing, then on the long ride home after repeated trying, the fucker just came on again, second time its done this in six months...
Is there anything anyone knows of that might be causing this that needs addressing?
Had similar issues. I needed to replace the battery motor cable as it was worn out. F*cking expensive for a cable but it's now working properly again.

Dazzling1984

Jul 29, 2023
UK
Had similar issues. I needed to replace the battery motor cable as it was worn out. F*cking expensive for a cable but it's now working properly again.
thanks for the tip man, yes it seems the only cheap stuff for ebikes is the air in the tyres...taking bike to Spesh for a hook up to the computer 2 see what that brings up...still under warranty so fingers crossed i can haggle a fix up...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles