2016/2017 Specialized Turbo Levo / Kenevo FAQ - Discussion - Info Thread

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I haven’t heard much mention of pre-18 bikes yet. Let’s start a thread. Upgrades, firmware, 3” tires, 29’rs, 150mm of travel? How are your high mileage levos holding up?

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I’ll start with a retrofit. It appears my LBC is going to be able to procure for me a handlebar switch from a 2018. I’d like to be able to change modes more easily. And, although I’ve heard it’s glitchy, the walk assist would be great. Part wont be in for at least another week, but I’ll post here with how it goes.

Ben-p

Sep 1, 2018
Grimsby
I have a 2016 levo but use the bluetooth garmin on mine and find that really good and with it being bluetooth its one less cable to look at

Neilvx

Jul 4, 2018
Hampshire
MY17 is going strong :)
hope brakes
carbon bars
29" wheels
Magic Mary tyres
X1 grip shift
XX1 rear derailleur
Hope headset and seat clamp

think that is it :)

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
My 2017 TL Expert is still going strong. I do have a battery indication issue but this does not effect the on trail performance. I currently use my Garmin to switch between modes but its not 100% reliable so may get a Garmin official unit if they are still available?

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I have a 2016 levo but use the bluetooth garmin on mine and find that really good and with it being bluetooth its one less cable to look at
I did not know that was an option. Do you use the garmin to navigate on the trails as well?

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
I did not know that was an option. Do you use the garmin to navigate on the trails as well?
I don't use any navigation on the routes I normally ride. The Garmin Edge 1000 does provide navigation if needed. The control over the Levo is from a application available at Connect IQ store
1547646728604.png

I

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
MY17 is going strong :)
hope brakes
carbon bars
29" wheels
Magic Mary tyres
X1 grip shift
XX1 rear derailleur
Hope headset and seat clamp

think that is it :)
how was the 29r swap? i have suspected it would take them just like they advertized the ‘18 would. i am getting a lot of pedal strikes, especially since taking off the 3’ purgatorys and putting a 2.6 hillbilly on the front and a 2.8 butcher on the back.

Neilvx

Jul 4, 2018
Hampshire
how was the 29r swap? i have suspected it would take them just like they advertized the ‘18 would. i am getting a lot of pedal strikes, especially since taking off the 3’ purgatorys and putting a 2.6 hillbilly on the front and a 2.8 butcher on the back.

Straight forward swap but running the 2.35 tyre I believe. It’s still a fat tyre :)

Joeri

May 13, 2018
Almere-stad, the netherlands
I drive my 2016 with a lot of fun but I doubt to exchange it for a 2019. I miss the remote control and with the baterij (460) would be allowed to go a bit longer.

some upgrades
Yari to Lyrik 150
fox to CC inline with bikeyoke
sram guides to magura MT7
hate the wheels and the headset broke severall bearings

Last edited:

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
My 2017 S-Works was for sale until I started riding my 2019 !! My 17 S-Works is extremely quiet and for me rides better in some areas than my new 29er !
that’s pretty great to hear! s-works is badass for sure, but the peeps on this forum sure seem to like their ‘18s and ‘19s... i love my 2017 expert so much, i dont care. im over the moon with it.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I drive my 2016 with a lot of fun but I doubt to exchange it for a 2019. I miss the remote control and with the baterij (460) would be allowed to go a bit longer.

some upgrades
Yari to Lyrik 150
fox to CC inline with bikeyoke
sram guides to magura MT7
hate the wheels and the headset broke severall bearings
what do you hate about the wheels?

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
It depends what sort of a riding day lays ahead. The 27.5 platform gives me more agility when trails get very tight and twisty. The 29s however roll better. Im going to try 29F with a 27.5R on my 2019.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
I’m happy to report that my LBS has ordered my handlebar switch and is going to do the install for me. They said I’ll need a firmware update to make it work, but i’ve got .23 in there now. i like that because it works well with BLEvo. We’ll see what happens. I’m going to ask them to see if it works without the update first. It will be sweet to be able to shift modes more easily and to have walk mode! I will repost as this progresses.

Ben-p

Sep 1, 2018
Grimsby
Can you ask you lbs if that switch would work on a 2016 levo while your there as i mite have it done so it doesnt look like ive got a bell on my levo lol cheers

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Can you ask you lbs if that switch would work on a 2016 levo while your there as i mite have it done so it doesnt look like ive got a bell on my levo lol cheers
i will ask. did you see the video i linked near the top of this thread? it’s a guy w a ‘16 s-works doing the switch. it’s where i got the idea.

Ben-p

Sep 1, 2018
Grimsby
Yer seee the vid and realised it says 16/17 levo just as i sent it cheers did your lbs source the parts u need for this or did you find them your self if u found them your self have you got a link so i can look at purchasing

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Yer seee the vid and realised it says 16/17 levo just as i sent it cheers did your lbs source the parts u need for this or did you find them your self if u found them your self have you got a link so i can look at purchasing
the mechanic at LBS emailed his specialized rep and told them that he had a 2017 levo owner who wanted to update / upgrade / retrofit a handlebar switch from a 2018 and would this work? specialized said yes, will work, the part is $120.00 and will require a firmware upgrade. so, all above board and from the factory. also, consistent with the video. but, i have heard stories of the switch being unavailable except for warranty work and new builds. so, i am cautiosly optimistic at this point.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
i’m stoked! i got my upgrade completed. my 2017 levo now has the handlebar switch - so i can change levels of assist while riding and i have walk mode. my lbs did it for me - total cost = 180$. switch is 120$ from specialized. 50$ for labor. did not require a firmware upgrade. im already on .23 - so blevo is working great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles