Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Brendog78

Jun 12, 2019
Australia
So what sort of k's are you guys getting out of your Kenevo? I got 46km on the trails with 940m and today did some street riding and got 101km with 1200m on a single pack.

I have to say I'm impressed

20190716_120347.jpg

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yeah similar stats here. 40 to 50 km in off road situations and 100 to 120 km on flat single track/asphalt. That’s with settings at eco 30/100, trail 50/100 and turbo 100/100.

Just started playing with dropping down the power multiplier in mission control and already getting more range. Downside is I have to work harder.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I used to have a tracking sheet for my mileage/vert, but then I got lazy :) But from extrapolation I could get about 30mi and 5kft vert with my settings. Vert is the big killer in battery for me.

I run 15/20%; 25/50%; 45/60%

My mods in rough order of prioritization:
1) Tires - 2.6 Maxxis Exo+ DHF/DHR (have a 2.5 Assegai to try as well). Liking the 2.6 specialized eliminator black diamond in the rear. Feels more nimble and aggressive. The 2.8 Butchers weren't terrible (other than paper thin and flat prone), but they didn't do as great at speed. With inserts (Rimpact for me), I have pretty much eliminated flats as well with this setup.

2) Fork mods - DSD Runt + Push HC97. Biggest change for me to help with diving and fork feel/composure in the steep and rough sections. Small bump was already great IMO.

3a) Progressive MRP spring for the Ohlins. Helped with bottom out quite a bit. This bike feels pretty linear and has a coil. Bottom outs happen

3b ) Dropper Post - PNW 170mm (now they have a 200mm!). I didn't like the Wu

3c) Sunrace cassette. Been fairly reliable since I destroyed the stock (heavy) NX cassette.

4a) Santa Cruz Reserves 37mm - great feeling rims. I did have an issue which they warrantied a new rear wheel no questions asked. The issue was spokes would keep coming loose and no amount of truing and tightening would completely stop it. The lifetime warranty is awesome.

4b) WTB Volt saddle. Didn't get along with the stock seat.

5) Carbon bars (Nukeproof 800mm ~ $90) and Rev Grips. I have run revs grips on my last few bikes. I think it takes the edge of arm pump and helps with grip.

6) Lizard skins chainstay protector. I couldn't stand the rattle!

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I ride to work and back twice a week on my 2018 Kenevo, using BLevo.
My ride to work is 60% dirt road/semi paved road - more or less on the level. and 40% techy rough climbing / descending singletracks.
For my rides to work - my settings are:
Eco 27%. Trail 45%. Turbo 65%
About 90% of my ride is in eco.
Another 9% I use trail, for short bursts.
And I use the turbo for one verry short steep climb. ( About 30 sec.)
My ride each way is about 18km with about 325m climb, and uses exactly one third of my battery.
So when I get home I've used 66% of my battery to ride about 36km with about 650m! Climbing. ( I don't charge my battery at work)
These stats are verry consistent.
So to extrapolate from that...
A full battery should give me roughly....
54km with almost a 1000m climbing! Ideally to a fully drained battery
Verry! Impressive, for a heavy aggressive style bike like this, IMHO
Tim.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You probably need to ask. They had lots of different weight springs when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Bikerson

Jul 8, 2019
Basque Country
I ride to work and back twice a week on my 2018 Kenevo, using BLevo.
My ride to work is 60% dirt road/semi paved road - more or less on the level. and 40% techy rough climbing / descending singletracks.
For my rides to work - my settings are:
Eco 27%. Trail 45%. Turbo 65%
About 90% of my ride is in eco.
Another 9% I use trail, for short bursts.
And I use the turbo for one verry short steep climb. ( About 30 sec.)
My ride each way is about 18km with about 325m climb, and uses exactly one third of my battery.
So when I get home I've used 66% of my battery to ride about 36km with about 650m! Climbing. ( I don't charge my battery at work)
These stats are verry consistent.
So to extrapolate from that...
A full battery should give me roughly....
54km with almost a 1000m climbing! Ideally to a fully drained battery
Verry! Impressive, for a heavy aggressive style bike like this, IMHO
Tim.
Hi @Tim69, your extrapolation is quite good. The best ride I have done to my 2019 Kenevo Comp was 56,58km with 2.143m climbing with Eco 15/30, Trail 30/60 and Turbo 50/100. I arrived home with the last two leds blinking in red.
If you would like to see the track is on my wikiloc profile etxanio77

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
so i went to my LBS on the weekend and they have my Kenevo listed for less than the price i traded it for. im very tempted to scoop it back up and just have 2 emtbs. Levo and Kenevo.

VERY TEMPTED!!!

He'll yeah!
Go for it!!???
Tim

Reactions: ASV

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Hi @Tim69, your extrapolation is quite good. The best ride I have done to my 2019 Kenevo Comp was 56,58km with 2.143m climbing with Eco 15/30, Trail 30/60 and Turbo 50/100. I arrived home with the last two leds blinking in red.
If you would like to see the track is on my wikiloc profile etxanio77
Nice!!!
It gives me the courage to try a dide like that too!?
Tim

Kenevo Jim

Jul 28, 2019
Amersham
Hi, Im looking for some help with Mission Control on my Kenevo Expert. Ive done a search but can't seem to pin point an answer.

Basically on mission control I can't choose individual power settings for each mode (eco, trail, turbo) I can only adjust the level off assistance individually. Its strange because my friend has the Kenevo comp and he can change everything individually. Anyone heard of this before or know how to get it sorted.

Thanks in advance,

Jim.

Girdermonkey

Jul 13, 2019
Hereford
Can anyone tell me if a cane creek valt 650x2.25 stroke coil is ok for a 2019 kenevo comp running a fox van rc shock?
Total stroke of the cane creek is 69mm and total stroke of the shock is 63mm unfortunately I'm not that clued up on it.

If it's no good the only other option from tftuned is an ohlins at double the price :(

Kenevo Jim

Jul 28, 2019
Amersham
Can anyone tell me if a cane creek valt 650x2.25 stroke coil is ok for a 2019 kenevo comp running a fox van rc shock?
Total stroke of the cane creek is 69mm and total stroke of the shock is 63mm unfortunately I'm not that clued up on it.

If it's no good the only other option from tftuned is an ohlins at double the price :(

Not sure if that would fit but I got my spring for my Kenevo from Berkshire Cycles. Give Chris a call there he’s very helpful and they have a large selection of springs available at competitive prices. Will be wayyy cheaper than an Ohlins spring (y)

DisasterHamster

Aug 6, 2019
Finland
Hi all!
I received my new Kenevo expert last week and it's really an awesome bike. However, I'm having a bit of a problem connecting the bike to Mission control and was hoping maybe someone had some insight on what to do.

The problem is my Mission control can't find my bike, it just won't show up in the list. I've tried all the usual methods like restarting my bike, phone and the app. I have the location services and my Bluetooth on and I really have no idea what more could I do..

I've emailed Spesh but they haven't replied yet. Is there a way to maybe reset the battery? I've come to a conclusion that maybe the bluetooth unit of my bike is dead, as even third party apps designed to see every bluetooth device won't find the bike..

Thank you already,
Niko

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Hi all!
I received my new Kenevo expert last week and it's really an awesome bike. However, I'm having a bit of a problem connecting the bike to Mission control and was hoping maybe someone had some insight on what to do.

The problem is my Mission control can't find my bike, it just won't show up in the list. I've tried all the usual methods like restarting my bike, phone and the app. I have the location services and my Bluetooth on and I really have no idea what more could I do..

I've emailed Spesh but they haven't replied yet. Is there a way to maybe reset the battery? I've come to a conclusion that maybe the bluetooth unit of my bike is dead, as even third party apps designed to see every bluetooth device won't find the bike..

Thank you already,
Niko

Hmm are you using iOS or Android?

Have you tried a factory reset?
Kenevo factory reset.png

My next recommendation would be to delete all other Bluetooth pairings. Also reason I asked if you were using iOS or Android is - if you're using Android, can you try with an iPhone & vice versa. If all that fails then I think safe to assume it's the bluetooth module on the bike.

Last edited:

DisasterHamster

Aug 6, 2019
Finland
Hmm are you using iOS or Android?

Have you tried a factory reset? View attachment 16774

My next recommendation would be to delete all other Bluetooth pairings. Also reason I asked if you were using iOS or Android is - if you're using Android, can you try with an iPhone & vice versa. If all that fails then I think safe to assume it's the bluetooth module on the bike.

I tried the Levo factory reset and it doesn't seem to work. Is there a way to do factory reset on a -19 Kenevo?

I'm on Android and don't have an Iphone to try. However, I tried connecting my Garmin Fenix 5 and even that doesn't recognize my bike.. I think it uses Ant+ instead of bluetooth.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Hi, Im looking for some help with Mission Control on my Kenevo Expert. Ive done a search but can't seem to pin point an answer.

Basically on mission control I can't choose individual power settings for each mode (eco, trail, turbo) I can only adjust the level off assistance individually. Its strange because my friend has the Kenevo comp and he can change everything individually. Anyone heard of this before or know how to get it sorted.

Thanks in advance,

Jim.

Hi @Kenevo Jim - it sounds like your battery needs a FW update. Ideally take your whole bike to the retailer and ask them to check for firmware updates.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hi Kenevo Experts ... I've just read through all 19 pages and my question has been asked previously, but that was over a year ago and peoples opinions and experiences might be different now.

So, I'm new to this lark.. Bought a Decathlon hub motored st-500 at christmas so I could keep up with the Mrs on horseback. It was unreliable so bought a hardtail shimano e8000 bike. Which I love riding, but then discovered "downhill" trails when out plodding on my own .. So I now spend more time (most) on those (normally on the floor, rather than on the bike). It's become apparent that my hardtail really isn't designed for what I'm trying to do (having just ridden out with two decent riders) - it's more an OAP fire road trundler. The geometry isn't good and the wheel base is very short, another reason why I spend more time than I should doing superman impressions over the bars.

So it's time to change. I was completely set on a Thok Mig, but ironically they seem to be on holiday so I've started to look about.

You can presently pick up a Kenevo Expert for similar money .. so I'm wondering .. is this stupid .. ???? Would this actually suit me better in the long term. My HT weighs over 22kg's so the Kenevo's not much more. Would it still climb as fast ? (I'm sad and like to try and climb fast too) Is the bike too much for a newby incompetent or would it actually help me out (this was the previous conclusion when asked at the start of the thread).

I know, ideally I'd go and ride all these bikes, but it's not an option, so I'm relying on the virtual world of the internet and hopefully educated opinions .. :)

Edit : I should also add in so I'm not wasting everyones times going in circles .. I'm 70kg's and 5'10 (178). On the official sizing that puts me at the end of Medium and the start of Large .. I'm edging to Large, but those with experience might have a better idea .. think I might need to change the spring too for my punyness ...

Edit 2 : OK... I was wasting everyones time with edit 1 .. :) Must of had information overload on the first read through as the same question and sizes has been asked about 3 times .. so I think the Large !

Last edited:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’m same height and weight and I own a 19 Expert.
The Kenevo is a beast, downhill, uphill, sideways which ever way you point it.
It climbs as well as any other bike and goes down much better imo.
Only downsides will be the hubs and maybe brakes (if you start to hit DH stuff)
Stock tires aren’t they greatest but they got me through a year.
I’ve built a new wheel set, 550lb spring and also put a 29 Lyrik ultimate up front and it’s an absolute Weapon!
I doubt you would be disappointed!

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’m same height and weight and I own a 19 Expert.
Hi Christian, Thanks for the feedback. 1950km's ! :)
What size did you opt for ? I've read a few bits about the brakes, but I think compared to what I have they'll be an improvement for the moment.. The tyres I can change, so that's not the end of the world and you don't seem to be alone in your opinion there ! I take it the hubs collapse ? Seem to remember reading something about that on a levo ? In theory then I should be ok with the stock spring to start with.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I went for a medium but like you said we’re on the edge of both sizes. I only find it a slight issue on the steep stuff but that’s probably more me being lazy and not getting on the back. I think either way it wouldn’t make too much of a difference.

As for the hubs, just rubbish, I broke the first one after 6 months, the second one 3 months later and then they finally replaced it with a Dt Swiss inner.
I ended up buying some Chris King hubs and I absolutely love them. Angry little things!

As for the brakes, I’ve had no real problems but I do think they could do with bigger discs.
I mean don’t get me wrong they stop fine but there have been a few times that they weren’t pulling me up in time. Admittedly most times is when coming fast off big jumps and landing off the track when wet/muddy so maybe I am just asking too much.
Still I want bigger brakes just in case. Couldn’t hurt?

In all seriousness though, I love my bike. With every issue it’s had it has still given me many miles of absolutely trail smashing fun. I have always been gravity focused and hated climbing and now I look for hills to climb. Anything, anywhere, the Kenevo will eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner and even dessert.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles