Levo Gen 2 2018 Specialized Levo and Kenevo Tech Service Retailer Manual, info thread and FAQ

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hiya, I've found some stuff during the past few months that might some in useful to many. I'll update keep this post updated with anything that I find that might be useful.

Levo / Kenevo Size Guide
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 11.54.14.png

I have a 460Wh battery, can I use the 504Wh battery?
Yes. All batteries are compatible with each other. Your Specialized dealer can order the battery from Specialized (98917-5622) or, with a bit of luck, even stock it.

Changing gear ratio with a different sized front chainring
The gearing on the Levo can be changed at the front of the crank between 32 and 36 teeth (original: 32 teeth). The bolt circle of the spider is 104 mm. For the motor, it does not matter which number of teeth are installed. It is important to always drive a loose cadence, see our practical tips . A smaller chainring than 32 Z is not buildable due to the bolt circle.

What is the weight of the 2018 Levo & Kenevo?
Carbon S-Works: 21.8KG
Carbon Expert: 22.4KG
Carbon Comp: 22.7KG
Alu Comp: 23.5KG
Kenevo: 24.5KG

Spring rates for Kenevo
The KENEVO uses a shock with 216mm installation length and 63mm stroke. Recommended 30% SAG, which corresponds to about 19mm based on the full stroke of 63mm.

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 12.10.41.png

Battery
Following the below tips will prolong the life of your battery.
  • It is recommended to store batteries at about 60% charge level and 10-20 ° C dry. Recharge batteries after 3 months of non-use. Specialized gives a 2-year warranty on all Turbo (Levo/Kenevo) batteries or that the battery still has at least 75% of the capacity after 300 charging cycles.
  • Charge time for the 504Wh: about 3h 30min. In 1 hour you can recharge about 30%
  • Charge the battery at room temperature
  • Store the battery at room temperature
  • Transport the battery in a car at below freezing temperatures
  • Turn off the battery before unplugging and charging
Cleaning
Wash the bike with the battery installed and with the harness plugged in. Since the connection is waterproof, washing the bike with the harness plugged in minimizes the chance of contamination in the contacts. Do not use a pressure washer! Regular low pressure garden hose is fine.

Recommended Service Intervals
Most riders cover more miles on an EMTB compared to regular bikes. Check the recommended service intervals:
  • Suspension air spring services: 1-3 per year
  • Suspension damper service: 1-2 per year
  • Chain replacement: 2-5 per year
  • Derailleur Hanger Alignment: monthly
  • Brake calliper clean and bleed: annually
  • Command Post basic service: 1-3 per year
  • Wheel tension and true check: monthly
  • Motor belt replacement: 9500 miles / 15000 km

Manuals

Attachments

• 2018 Turbo Levo Manual.pdf
    7.6 MB · Views: 12,136
  • Retailer Manual.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 8,016
Last edited:

E-Bruni

Sep 26, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi,
Only had my Kenevo a couple of weeks and have noticed that the yellow coating has started to crack on the öhlins spring. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
0A81C0FD-8311-4ECC-9D7D-995BC511FCC1.jpeg
6D8A4C36-9060-496E-A8CC-FAA479B402DC.jpeg

c4s2rs6

May 3, 2018
Aberdeen
Hi,
Only had my Kenevo a couple of weeks and have noticed that the yellow coating has started to crack on the öhlins spring. Has anyone else had this happen to them? View attachment 6130 View attachment 6131

Mine did that. All springs have coils are painted together at ends from new so bound to do this once they get some use. A bit annoying. Bugged me a bit too
IMG_2276.JPG

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I’ve had ohlins suspension on my road racing bikes for years paint never peeled on those Ohlins units.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Cassette and chainring replacement info needed:
I have a 2018 kenevo, just changed my first chain after about 900km.. and want to buy a new cassette and chainring, for when the next chain wears out.
My questions are -
A. What is the cassette model number? (Xg 1150??)
Does it use a XD driver? ( If so, not compatible with " box one" cassette's)
B. Would like to get a larger (34t) chainring, for more speed, but to keep my climbing ability would need a wider range cassette.. like a 11/46.
Where do you buy your chainrings/ cassette's online!? As the local LBS's here want a fortune for them..
Has anyone used this combo? Can you say where you got them,?
Thanks..
As I'm not sure if I need special components, as it's an Ebike... Or will standard cassette's work?
I know the chainring is not standard, as it's steel!? And not aluminum.
Any recommendations would be verry helpfully!! ?
Thanks
Tim

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
If smallest cog has 10 teeth, then it's an XD driver. The Expert 6Fattie came with SRAM XG-1175, 11-speed, 10-42t. Options? see other brand XD cassettes.

If smallest cog has 11 teeth, then it's a Shimano freehub body, which is compatible with many brands including "box one".

There are many online stores, try to buy local to you; online bicycle components.

It uses standard components. A quality aluminium (alloy typically 7075-T6) chainring will work just as well as steel, but will wear more quickly -- just replace at same time as chain, or flip to use reverse side of teeth and replace after second chain.

Edit: Warning: Front chainring exploded into bits

Last edited:

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
If smallest cog has 10 teeth, then it's an XD driver. The Expert 6Fattie came with SRAM XG-1175, 11-speed, 10-42t. Options? see other brand XD cassettes.

If smallest cog has 11 teeth, then it's a Shimano freehub body, which is compatible with many brands including "box one".

There are many online stores, try to buy local to you; online bicycle components.

It uses standard components. A quality aluminium (alloy typically 7075-T6) chainring will work just as well as steel, but will wear more quickly -- just replace at same time as chain, or flip to use reverse side of teeth and replace after second chain.

Thanks for the great info+ links!??????????
So if I understand right, my cassette is 11/42 so it's not! An XD driver, therefore I can get a box one ? Possibly a 11/46.. and get a 34t chainring! And all will be well! Great!
Thanks again!???

Sep 10, 2018
Pemberton
Please help. There appears to be a thin ,clear oily substance that has leaked out of the bottom of my motor casing on my 2018 Kenevo.
Any ideas on what this might be?
E5AC14F8-F14A-4589-899F-AB1B6B9ED79F.jpeg

Apr 12, 2020
Arizona, USA
Awesome info Rob! Thanks for posting. Question, the rear springs for the Kenovo are offered as “demo” for around $50, and a regular version that’s $100. What’s the difference?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles