Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
You

You sound hugely oversprung for 74 kg. I was going to get a 550lb for my weight at about 97kg according to the spring chart.
This is what I initially thought too but I also factored in my kitted up weight (closer to 80kg plus the weight of the battery and motor.
It does feel stiffer than the stock spring but for some reason the performance feels way better. For me this setup has done wonders for my riding which I would say is on the more extreme side. I was going to try a 500lb spring but the bike is just so dialled in atm.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Battery charged and pretty much together. Need to check it all over tomorrow. It powers up, connects to mission control .. seems to have a zombie walk mode if you press the down button the back wheel just turns on it's own forever .. is this for chain lubing or a pretty display mode ? :) Did a 20 meter ride just to make sure it works and it does .. The Kenevo has landed !

It certainly looks a beast ..
View attachment 17109

Once question which I will regret asking for all eternity due to it's stupidity .... HOW do you tighten up the handlebar mode controller switch ?? it slid on, but I didn't notice anyway to secure it ?!?

First of all, ENJOY!!!!!
I know you will....
The mode switch has I tiny! I think ,1.5mm ( if I remember correctly) Allen grub screw underneath it, that tightens it up.. it's impossible to find! ?
Tim

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The mode switch has I tiny! I think ,1.5mm
and @Indigo & @Christian .. thanks. It was a tiny screw behind the switch. I'd seen the hole and tried various allen keys, but they were obviously all too large, so I'd assumed it was some other clever fastening technique !

So this isn't just a useless wasted post about my stupidity .. for anyone searching in the future:

Some levo and Kenevo Torque settings lbf &nm : (which are probably available on-line, but what the hell)

torque.jpg

Brendog78

Jun 12, 2019
Australia
I had my Kenevo setup for my GF last week to come riding with me, so the stock spring went back in, pressure in the fork lowered etc. Over the week temptation got the better of me and I took it for a spin. So low and slack it reminded me of my DH bike it gave me so much grip in the turns I was actually able to go faster in a lot of sections. I'm now thinking I might get a slightly lighter spring and run a little more sag in the future, shorter crank arms would definitly help with this as I was continually hitting my pedal on the ground.

20190811_083004.jpg

20190812_163458.jpg

Brendog78

Jun 12, 2019
Australia
I fitted up a set of Trickstuff pads today to see if they were better than stock. So far im impressed, bike pulls up way better giving me a lot more confidence with braking late in faster sections. I also took off the flats and ran clips for the first time on the Kenevo and felt way more comfortable on the rough stuff. I went out to some trails I haven't ridden in a while and was keen to see how the new michelin tyres would handle these trails.

With a lot of changes on the bike since my last ride it was crazy to see I was faster almost everywhere the bike is really starting to feel dialed. Just over 600km on the bike now and no major problems.?

20190819_152932.jpg

conman

Jun 1, 2019
Keswick
Apologies if this question has been answered already but can you reduce wheel circumference to get a few more mph on a 2019 Kenevo Comp using mission control or blevo apps?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Apologies if this question has been answered already but can you reduce wheel circumference to get a few more mph on a 2019 Kenevo Comp using mission control or blevo apps?
I was playing with mission control yesterday to try and find the motor amp view but couldn't find it. I think spec. Disabled changing the wheel size option. Installed blevo to see what that does and there was an option to change wheel size and change the speed limiter. Didn't have time to test anything though.

Brendog78

Jun 12, 2019
Australia
I had my best ride on the Kenevo today PB's on all but 2 segments. When I got back to the car I took the rear wheel off and the caset almost fell of. Thinking back at one point my rear brake was scraping and I had a few weird hard feeling gear changes. So that explains that.

I will take it back to the dealer tomorrow, they can asses it and see if the hub is ok, replace the bearings if it is. It is due for its first service anyway so timing worked out ok.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Second "proper ride" yesterday evening. It just eats up everything you throw at it - VERY confidence inspiring ! Rode with a guy on an s-works carbon enduro (acoustic). He's a machine and in training for a 175km race, on foot, with 10000m climb (reunion island grand raid), so it worked out quite well to push him keeping up with the Kenevo on the climbs (eco 20%).

I'm still curious if the brose motor is faster on climbs than the E8000. Did one short climb on Turbo yesterday on the way to meet up and took the KOM by 1 second. Generally I think it's slightly slower, but.... I'm not locking the front or rear suspension, so compared to a 120mm hardtail, I'm throwing a huge amount of energy away .. need to try with suspension locked really to give a closer comparison - In retrospect, if I managed to go 1 second faster on a heavier bike with the suspension open, it must be faster.

It's definitely faster and a lot safer on the downhills than a 120mm hardtail :) .. who would have thought !! :)

I think it might be a bit of a greedy battery gobbler. About 20k and 700m climbed. Mainly eco @ 20% with two climbs on turbo - used 46% battery. But again, It's a chunky monkey and if I keep throwing away energy with 180mm suspension eating up energy, what do I expect :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Lol chunky monkey is a perfect description for a Kenevo. That’s how I picture it going through the trails from a birds eye view.
I average 30 to 40 km, 400watts with 800m climbing. Mainly eco, trail with the odd turbo blast at the end once the back pain kicks in.

The Shimano feels quicker cause of how it kicks in but I think the Kenevo is still quicker. Also the gearing may be different?

In any case I love hearing other people’s Kenevo experiences.
I met this chick that had a sworks Levo and said she regretted selling her Kenevo.

I’m a full Kenevo whore!

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I just took off the covers after a year of owning the bike and I have ridden in mud and water plenty of times.
The whole back of the motor was jammed of dirt but none of the electronics where touched. A little dusty but nothing concerning. I gave it a good blow out and good to go. Completely different design than the 19 Levo. Only like a 5- 10mm gap out back.
Kenevo was born to be wild!
I am going to make a rubber guard for it though as I don’t want to push it.
I agree that mud ingress is much bigger problem with 2019 Levo and it seems an odd mistake for Spec to end up with a newer model with a design fault, although it might have been Brose’s fault a well. One would hope that the new Kenevo with the new motor will not have this issue. Nevertheless, I think making a cheap fix to stop mud and crap getting into motor housing is a good idea (see my post on how to do this). If nothing else, it makes cleaning that area much easier after a muddy ride. Water and electrics don’t mix well and full immersion or jet washes are a bigger no no than on ordinary bikes.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Yeah I did make a few different guards for it but then I got stupid ideas in my head. Maybe the hole is there for the engine to breathe and if I cover it it may heat up and break. I’m weird like that.
I figure if it ain’t broke don’t try fix it. That’s what a warranty’s for. Even once that’s gone, I can just buy another motor. No different with cars or anything else.
Nothing in this world is built to last anymore.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Shimano feels quicker cause of how it kicks in but I think the Kenevo is still quicker. Also the gearing may be different?

How's your head and VisIOn ?

It's probably not a very fair comparison straight out of the box. I've had months getting used to the E8000 and slowly getting faster on it, knowing the best cadence for the motor at different parts of the climbs, where to go steady and let the motor do more work, whilst you recharge for a second, and where to give it your all. In comparison I've no idea how the Kenevo motor reacts yet and my climb times reflect that. One climb I've not managed to get faster on for 2 months on the E8000, yet I matched the time on the Kenevo first time out. Other's I was 10 seconds slower and yesterday was my first Kenevo climb KOM - again on a climb I've been really struggling to get any faster on. Interestingly, it's certainly no harder to climb at any point than the E8000 hardtail - I did have some minor concerns after reading certain views that the geometry would make it more difficult, but so far it's incredible !

You Whore you !! :) My friend last night was saying he thought e-bikes were like a drug with their addictivness - the Kenevo's that and more ..

Need to look at old tube/mudguard/mudhugger to keep the rear a bit cleaner when I get a moment. Will definitely need a front guard before winter. 50 meters down a damp track the other day and my face looked like I'd been apple bobbing in a tank of mud.

The Shimano BOOST power definitely comes in more abruptly .. just BOOM !

The Kenevo feels like it ramps the TURBO power up exponentially, steady and then BOOM - like :

200px-Exp.svg.png

I met this chick that had a sworks Levo and said she regretted selling her Kenevo.

And you didn't offer her a ride ? :) I can see why people would get really connected to them. I want one .... Ohhh .. I've got one ! yeah !!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Heads good now but Docs says I most likely have a cracked rib or two. Can’t take deep breaths, sneeze or anything mildly physical so looks like Evy gets a rest for a couple weeks. Damn!
That’s what I get for riding another bike!

I’m glad your loving the Kenevo, I think they’re the best bike currently available.
So versatile, so much fun and just a weapon of a bike!
Wait until you set it up right, it will blow you away!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can’t take deep breaths, sneeze or anything mildly physical so looks like Evy gets a rest for a couple weeks. Damn!
Sounds like the correct basic symptoms ! I can't remember now if I worked out to breath out fully or in fully before sneezing .. I think it was breath out fully to stop it hurting. Same with coughing or laughing. I carried on riding with mine, just plodding though, it helps keep insanity at bay. Mine stopped clicking - when you moved in certain ways, after about two weeks - which tickled a bit ...... :) Stopped hurting after about 4-6 weeks. I was still working though which probably didn't help. Walking 5km's with a chainsaw the next day, to chop up the evil fallen tree I wiped out over probably didn't help either, but it made me feel better. :)

I’m glad your loving the Kenevo, I think they’re the best bike currently available.
So versatile, so much fun and just a weapon of a bike!

I think you might be a bit biased with your view point ...... but in this instance, I'm inclined to be biased and completely agree ! :)

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahaha It’s not my fault I chose the right bike first time.
I wanted a enduro/freeride mountian bike that could take me back up the hill. ✔️
I have a few crushed discs and twisted vertebrae’s so I needed as much travel as possible. ✔️
It had to be reliable (hence the mods)✔️
It had to be very pretty ✔️

That’s was my logic anyway. I’ll be honest though, before I bought this bike I had never spent more than $1500 on a bike as I was heavily into cars. I struggled to put the coin down for this Kenevo as it’s just a bike!
Who spends that much money on a two wheeled machine?
But I thought it has a motor and my brother was like you will love i!
Within the first hour of riding it in the hills I forgot how much I spent on it because it was irrelevant. It was one of the best feelings I have felt in a while.
I haven’t spend another cent on a car since and have developed a full on obsession with riding and I now not know any other life.

Right now is the first time a bike has brought me a little sadness and that’s only cause I can’t ride. Unlike you I am not going to push this injury. I have an exercise bike which I will use to keep my bike fitness, I have some more modifications coming next week so maybe this is a sign to hang her up until they come.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hahaha It’s not my fault I chose the right bike first time.
So now you're trying to blame someone else for your perfection ! :)

I think I've been through a similar thing to you but over an extended and then reduced time scale. Gave up the car thing quite a long time ago, it was a great way to dispose of vast amounts of money in order to make me feel better about life ... which it didn't. Becoming a French Peasant instead fixed that.

But the same as you at the start of the year, trying to convince myself to spend €1200 on a crappy bike with a €30 motor just didn't compute .. but went for it anyway. Then three months later spent €2800 on a less crappy bike with a much better motor, which my brain still could not comprehend the economics of. Five months later the Kenevo Expert at €4000 seemed like an absolute bargain in my now twisted economic view of the bike world ! :)

Sounds like some time off the bike is the sensible way to go ! In fairness I suspect your riding style/ability is more Rambo crossed with Die Hard with a splash of Terminator thrown in accompanied by a full orchestra. My style/ability is more My Little Pony accompanied by a single person playing a plastic triangle.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
FFS mine has arrived but has a fox van coil shock fitted instead of the ohlins.
EDIT in addition to being the comp shock (I didnt know that cheers Christian!) Its also covered in oil, so looks to be leaking.
Whhoooop happy new bike day :(

15664723718429206678806415181187.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles