Levo SL Gen 1 Official Levo SL Thread

fj80psi

Apr 30, 2020
Redding Ca
Hello! New Member here. Currently own FF 18 Carbon Levo 45.5 Lbs. I listed my Iron Horse Sunday WC and my 15 Carbon Stumpy FS yesterday and ordered a Comp Carbon SL to build. I am excited to build something cool but, most of the factory parts will be replaced. Sad that the Levo can be ordered now as just a Frameset and not the SL. Read all 48 Pages here over the past few days. Just want to thank everyone in advance for sharing your experience and knowlege. I ride with a group of 6 FF Levos and I'm wanting to push my fitness and fun factor with this Bike. This will be a Mullet build. I was advised to use a 44mm fork if I went 160mm. Can anyone say if this is the way to go. I ride in Nor Cal. This will be my everything bike and will do CC trails as well as local Jump Trails. I am at the limits of my Lyrik with Charger upgrade on the Levo so, I am open to suggestions.

dasurpha

May 9, 2020
Helsinki
Is the lead identical, just longer? If so seems a pretty neat solution and a bit more flexibility. If the end housing is different and a looser connection to the bike then not so much.
AFAIK it is otherwise identical. The locking is tight, I see this could be beneficial if the battery moves up&down in the cage there is no pull on the connector. The potential negative side is that the cord could put some pressure on the cover if the battery moves.

dasurpha

May 9, 2020
Helsinki
Neither is here. And the local resellers don’t have it, nor my regular German sites. In the UK they seem to have some.

Haha, I was too fast. Checked the item description...

9B15F8DB-0BC4-4236-82F6-FBF3C4C1E4FB.jpeg

Rich the gasman

E*POWAH Master
May 4, 2019
North east
So who’s gone from a FF levo to the SL and have no regrets. I’m in the market to get an eeb again, watched so many videos, read so many forums and I’m down to a levo, levo SL or a cube stereo is my choices available. I had a levo expert, we had a love hate relationship, which ended up more hate due to reliability issues.

i always wanted a more playful e bike, but the question is will I miss the power. I have a mega tower for uplift days and bike parks and full on enduro, so having a more trail bike myb better suited.

for those that bought, did you buy the range extender as well?

cheers.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
So who’s gone from a FF levo to the SL and have no regrets. I’m in the market to get an eeb again, watched so many videos, read so many forums and I’m down to a levo, levo SL or a cube stereo is my choices available. I had a levo expert, we had a love hate relationship, which ended up more hate due to reliability issues.

i always wanted a more playful e bike, but the question is will I miss the power. I have a mega tower for uplift days and bike parks and full on enduro, so having a more trail bike myb better suited.

cheers.

After three ff levos I now have SL cc.
All I can say it is the best bike I ever had.

The ff had too much power for me as I am guite a good fit person and like to push myself.
When riding ff it was more like just spinning legs and motor pushed you forward.

With SL you need to push with your legs, but you still get a good assist.
That 35nm is still quite a lot.

Last edited:

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I run my tyres at 19psi front and 23 rear. Is this going to make a big improvement?

Totally - everyone will recommend what they have. Weights are a factor for me - I’ve spent a lot of money changing things and getting the weight down (whilst trying not to lose performance).

I agree with this completely. I bought a £230 saddle to shave off 100g, and an XX1 cassette to replace my GX saving another 100g. Adding an extra 300g+ for a coil (on top of the weight of a decent air shock) seems counter productive... however I do want performance over weight!
The Fox DPS weighs next to nothing, so even a decent air shock is going to add 150-200g. I’m not sure I want to increase my total weight 500g+ from where it is now.

I get that... the general consensus is that a coil will give me better performance / feeling. What I really want to know is what sort of improvement would I get with a top of the range air shock over the basic DPS.
If a coil was perfect (100%), would a good air shock give me 90%?!

I’m looking to make the problem I have with the rear shock better, whilst potentially compromising with the weight.
If a Öhlins TTX air or RS Deluxe Ultimate air would give me ‘as near as’ a coil, but saving 300g+, then I’d go for that. As long as I can feel a decent improvement, then I’ll be happy.
I’ve never ridden a coil, so I won’t have anything to compare it to - other than its much better than the DPS was!

I can get the RS for about £450 and the Öhlins is £780.

I assume I’d be looking at a 210 x 52.5 - which is always classed as a Stumpjumper 27.5 fitting?
You absolutely will notice a difference, the Float DPS is a pretty basic shock, especially if you have the performance version (as a pose to the factory model). A Super-Deluxe or TTXair will be as close to a coil as you'll get, and I'd add the Float X2 to that list too (though fitment is tight in these frames, the performance is about the best of the lot). A Cane Creek DBair IL would be good too, and lighter than the other shocks mentioned.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
You absolutely will notice a difference, the Float DPS is a pretty basic shock, especially if you have the performance version (as a pose to the factory model). A Super-Deluxe or TTXair will be as close to a coil as you'll get, and I'd add the Float X2 to that list too (though fitment is tight in these frames, the performance is about the best of the lot). A Cane Creek DBair IL would be good too, and lighter than the other shocks mentioned.

Yes, it’s the performance version I have. It seems pretty low spec.
I’ve never really got on with Fox shocks, and find them awkward to set up.
The Cane Creek DBair IL was mentioned a couple of posts ago - as a tuner recommended the air / coil version as their 2 alternatives. I thought if I’m upgrading, I should get one with a piggyback reservoir?

The Super Deluxe is almost half the price of the TTX air - am I getting twice the shock for the extra money, or is the RS just as good?

I’ve an XL frame, so should manage to fit any of the piggyback shocks and still fit a range extender.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
The Cane Creek DBair IL was mentioned a couple of posts ago - as a tuner recommended the air / coil version as their 2 alternatives. I thought if I’m upgrading, I should get one with a piggyback reservoir?

The Super Deluxe is almost half the price of the TTX air - am I getting twice the shock for the extra money, or is the RS just as good?

I’ve an XL frame, so should manage to fit any of the piggyback shocks and still fit a range extender.
My frame is a large and it fits the extender with Rocksox super deluxe coil .. but im doing away with coil and getting the Cane Creak DBair IL shock .. as im going to be having to buy different springs rates as losing body weight along with riding its just not worth it .. i will put the coil back on my stumpy for now until i decide what to do with it . might just sell it .

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I run my tyres at 19psi front and 23 rear. Is this going to make a big improvement?

I assume I’d be looking at a 210 x 52.5 - which is always classed as a Stumpjumper 27.5 fitting?

You should be able to drop a few more PSI without it being too low. The good inserts (cushcore probably being the most well known) have almost a dampening effect within the tire. It feels more than just dropping air pressure IMO. Plus you get better sidewall support, and if you pinch flat - this helps. It's just something to try if you are having small bump woes. Definitely have bought into the "wheel suspension" marketing claim after trying the CC XC.

210x52.5mm is stock. You can run a 210x55m with the stock link, but i would check fitment on the chainstay if there is any touching from the link.

Another shock that I have been eyeing with good reviews is the Manitou Mara Pro. I think it will fit with an XL with a range extender. Less well known, but it's had pretty good review, and I am wowed with the Mezzer up front.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California

cheers.

no regret here. You notice the power difference on climbs for sure, but I feel like it makes it up on flats with better motor engagement/disengagement at the cut-off as well as on the downs.

In the end, I think it depends on what you are after with an ebike vs. your normal mtb. If you want something that's closer in feel, but has the extra boost - SL make sense. If you want something that rides and feels more distinct - go with the full fat.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
You should be able to drop a few more PSI without it being too low. The good inserts (cushcore probably being the most well known) have almost a dampening effect within the tire. It feels more than just dropping air pressure IMO. Plus you get better sidewall support, and if you pinch flat - this helps. It's just something to try if you are having small bump woes. Definitely have bought into the "wheel suspension" marketing claim after trying the CC XC.

210x52.5mm is stock. You can run a 210x55m with the stock link, but i would check fitment on the chainstay if there is any touching from the link.

Another shock that I have been eyeing with good reviews is the Manitou Mara Pro. I think it will fit with an XL with a range extender. Less well known, but it's had pretty good review, and I am wowed with the Mezzer up front.
I run a Super deluxe ultimate coil 210x55 .. but changing it for now to a air cane creak DB IL .

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria

The ff had too much power for me as I am guite a good fit person and like to push myself.
When riding ff it was more like just spinning legs and motor pushed you forward.

All said.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor

Having ridden Ohlins coils in the past, I would say that no, you won't be getting a shock that's twice as good just because it costs twice as much.

Regarding piggybacks, why do you think you need a piggyback? If you are doing long descents, I'm talking alpine descents of a thousand+ feet in one go, then you will need the piggyback to combat excessive heat build up. However, if you are just riding down your local trails, at 5 minutes each time, then you don't need one and are just wasting money and incurring an unnecessary weight penalty.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Having ridden Ohlins coils in the past, I would say that no, you won't be getting a shock that's twice as good just because it costs twice as much.

Regarding piggybacks, why do you think you need a piggyback? If you are doing long descents, I'm talking alpine descents of a thousand+ feet in one go, then you will need the piggyback to combat excessive heat build up. However, if you are just riding down your local trails, at 5 minutes each time, then you don't need one and are just wasting money and incurring an unnecessary weight penalty.

Ok - that rules the Öhlins out, as it’s £780 vs £460 for the Super Deluxe Ultimate.

I spent a lot of time last night reading about the advantages of a piggyback. Heat was one, but I also read that they offer better small bump sensitivity too.
I read a huge article about putting a MegNeg into a Super Deluxe, and how it made it feel like a coil.

I’m tempted to go with the Super Deluxe, knowing I have the option of the MegNeg to make it better for about £70 if I feel I need more.

Will have a look and do a bit of research on the Manitou Mara Pro, as I’ve never heard of it - and it doesn’t come up in any of the ‘best rear MTB shock’ searches.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Ok - that rules the Öhlins out, as it’s £780 vs £460 for the Super Deluxe Ultimate.

I spent a lot of time last night reading about the advantages of a piggyback. Heat was one, but I also read that they offer better small bump sensitivity too.
I read a huge article about putting a MegNeg into a Super Deluxe, and how it made it feel like a coil.

I’m tempted to go with the Super Deluxe, knowing I have the option of the MegNeg to make it better for about £70 if I feel I need more.

Will have a look and do a bit of research on the Manitou Mara Pro, as I’ve never heard of it - and it doesn’t come up in any of the ‘best rear MTB shock’ searches.
I have a Super Deluxe with a Meg Neg, and a Super Deluxe Coil, and the Meg Neg doesn't make the air shock feel like a coil shock as you still have the initial resistance to the stroke that all air shocks have, however what it does do is give a lot more mid stroke support, whilst giving a more bottomless travel feel like the coil, so it kind of sits in the middle between the two in terms of feel.

Essentially what it does is keep you in the mid stroke more (which is really the "prime" operating range of the shock), and you dont blow through the travel as much - this gives a similar plushness feel to a coil shock and also IMO keeps the rear wheel tracking the ground better, but also retains the reactiveness and poppyness of the air shock.

I found with the Meg Neg fitted vs without on the Super Deluxe, that the bike was a lot more reactive, and easier to pump in and out of turns and jumps as the back end was more supportive, whilst maintaining a plush feel thought the travel - previously to get the back end to be as supportive as I would have liked, I had to pump up the shock pressure, at the expense of grip and ride comfort, or loose reactiveness by going with a lower air pressure to get a compliant ride.

I really like the Meg Neg, but if you dont know what you are doing with regards to rear suspension, it has a lot of set up options and just as easy to bugger up your bike as make it better, so I had mine installed and set up by Surrey Hills Suspension, who did a great job.

Personally if I had a Levo SL and was mainly doing general trail riding, I would also consider a Deluxe with the Meg Neg, as the can can also be fitted to them.

Last edited:

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford

A mate of mine installed a MegNeg on his bossnut, and said the small bump performance made a massive differance. Some bikes dont like the upgrade tho - might be worth seeing if someone has done it on a levo. Also that the larger can does clear the frame.

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
No

Air shock will never be like coil shock.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands

Where are you Getting the super deluxe from for £460 ?

I’ve got the ultimate coil version and want to change to air . Really considering the cane cream air dB IL .

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have a Super Deluxe with a Meg Neg, and a Super Deluxe Coil, and the Meg Neg doesn't make the air shock feel like a coil shock as you still have the initial resistance to the stroke that all air shocks have, however what it does do is give a lot more mid stroke support, whilst giving a more bottomless travel feel like the coil, so it kind of sits in the middle between the two in terms of feel.

Essentially what it does is keep you in the mid stroke more (which is really the "prime" operating range of the shock), and you dont blow through the travel as much - this gives a similar plushness feel to a coil shock and also IMO keeps the rear wheel tracking the ground better, but also retains the reactiveness and poppyness of the air shock.

I found with the Meg Neg fitted vs without on the Super Deluxe, that the bike was a lot more reactive, and easier to pump in and out of turns and jumps as the back end was more supportive, whilst maintaining a plush feel thought the travel - previously to get the back end to be as supportive as I would have liked, I had to pump up the shock pressure, at the expense of grip and ride comfort, or loose reactiveness by going with a lower air pressure to get a compliant ride.

I really like the Meg Neg, but if you dont know what you are doing with regards to rear suspension, it has a lot of set up options and just as easy to bugger up your bike as make it better, so I had mine installed and set up by Surrey Hills Suspension, who did a great job.

Personally if I had a Levo SL and was mainly doing general trail riding, I would also consider a Deluxe with the Meg Neg, as the can can also be fitted to them.

Sounds exactly what I’m after to be honest.
Better rear wheel tracking whilst maintaining the pop.

I’m definitely no suspension wizard, and I don’t have a local tuning company - but I assume I could give one my details and what I’m riding - and have it done by sending the shock to them?
I use a ShockWiz for a start, and then twiddle a little as I see fit! ShockWiz seems to do a pretty good job of getting what I want though.

If a shock is labelled as Stumpjumper 27.5, is that it’s fitment or current tune? The only ones I can find in 210 x 52.5 are Stumpjumper 27.5 ones.

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida

Can you compare sl power levels to regular Levo? I rode a regular Levo and found the trail setting to be plenty for anything I do. Is turbo on the sl close to trail on the regular Levo?

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Can you compare sl power levels to regular Levo? I rode a regular Levo and found the trail setting to be plenty for anything I do. Is turbo on the sl close to trail on the regular Levo?
I would say a tiny bit more .. it all depends on how the mission control is set up . Im a big guy (ex power lifter) and I’ve lost about 2kg off the bike and all I can say is it’s like a normal very light XC bike with a good push in the back . Feels
Like your 2 friends in front is pulling you rather than a moped pulling you on a full fat Levo .
I took a risk and sold my Kenevo expert 19 before trying a SL .. soon as I seen it I new it was for me . But I did ride my road bike (7kg) and stumpy for a couple of weeks before I got the SL so getting the SL felt like a turbo bike if that make sense . If you’ve never had a full fat e-bike then it’s a win win .

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I am going to sound like I work for them after talking about it so much, but really it's just a good product :)

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 11.01.32 AM.png

Look at the leverage ratio change. For same sag, you are a bit more small bump compliance (less force to initiate movement). If you want, you can even run a bit more sag given the bottom out is more supported. For my setup, I tend to run 15-20 PSI more in the stock DPS than I did stock. It's immediately noticeable how the small bump and traction improved. "Coil-like" is apt, but like others have said, it's not as supple exactly. Midstroke "pop" is much greater in my apples to orange comparison (SL vs. 2019 Kenevo with coil), but that is more due to bike leverage ratio, weight, etc than shock type.

The only downside that I have found is that there is a bit of bob on the open setting on smooth roads. However, that translates to a bit more traction on rough stuff. In trail setting, I can't discern bob at all. Plus, on an ebike - it's really not that big of a downside.

1589997720718.jpeg

1589997722910.jpeg

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I am going to sound like I work for them after talking about it so much, but really it's just a good product :)

View attachment 31638

Look at the leverage ratio change. For same sag, you are a bit more small bump compliance (less force to initiate movement). If you want, you can even run a bit more sag given the bottom out is more supported. For my setup, I tend to run 15-20 PSI more in the stock DPS than I did stock. It's immediately noticeable how the small bump and traction improved. "Coil-like" is apt, but like others have said, it's not as supple exactly. Midstroke "pop" is much greater in my apples to orange comparison (SL vs. 2019 Kenevo with coil), but that is more due to bike leverage ratio, weight, etc than shock type.

The only downside that I have found is that there is a bit of bob on the open setting on smooth roads. However, that translates to a bit more traction on rough stuff. In trail setting, I can't discern bob at all. Plus, on an ebike - it's really not that big of a downside.
Do you know if they can/will ship to the UK?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles