Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Expert - my build thread.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Time to get some ENVE wheels man!
I’ve been thinking about it since I got the bike...

My issue is that they’ll cost ~£2000 and not really give me any better performance, and won’t be any lighter either. The do look nice though... and would definitely finish the bike off!

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
I
I’ve got a test ride thread out here somewhere that has details of my build in it - but here’s the info in an easier to read format rather than spanning over loads of posts...

My Bike:

Specialized Levo SL Expert - Size XL
What’s changed:

Full Invisiframe kit
SRAM XX1 AXS derailleur
SRAM XX1 cassette
RockShox Reverb AXS 170 x 34.9mm dropper post
RockShox Lyric Ultimate 160mm 51 offset fork
ENVE DH Carbon bar
ENVE 55mm Carbon stem
Magura MT7 brakes
Magura Storm HC Rotors (200mm + 180mm)
Magura Carbon levers
Specialized Phenom S-Works saddle
HT Components ANS-10 Supreme pedals
Ergon GE1 Evo Grips
Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 front tyre
Maxxis DHR II 29 x 2.3 rear tyre
Muc Off 45mm tubeless valves
Mudhugger FRX mudguard (trimmed) at rear
Some cosmetic changes - Magura purple rings for the brakes, some titanium iridescent screws dotted about... and iridescent headset spacers.

View attachment 30025 View attachment 30026
View attachment 30028
ve tried ordering an
I’ve got a test ride thread out here somewhere that has details of my build in it - but here’s the info in an easier to read format rather than spanning over loads of posts...

My Bike:

What’s changed:

Full Invisiframe kit
SRAM XX1 AXS derailleur
SRAM XX1 cassette
ENVE DH Carbon bar
ENVE 55mm Carbon stem
Magura MT7 brakes
Magura Carbon levers
Ergon GE1 Evo Grips
Some cosmetic changes - Magura purple rings for the brakes, some titanium iridescent screws dotted about... and iridescent headset spacers.

View attachment 30028

My Bike:

What’s changed:

Full Invisiframe kit
SRAM XX1 AXS derailleur
SRAM XX1 cassette
ENVE DH Carbon bar
ENVE 55mm Carbon stem
Magura MT7 brakes
Magura Carbon levers
Ergon GE1 Evo Grips

View attachment 30028
i’ve tried ordering the Full Invisiframe set for my 2021 turbo SL comp carbon but they don’t have the bikes set available How did you get one?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

I got this one. Back in February, the 2020 model was the only one!
As above - it’s the same frame on 20/21... so go with that. Any changes between 20/21 are components only.

Housenotes

Aug 20, 2020
Missouri
I th
Just order the kit for the 2020 comp in xl, frame is exactly the same
i thought the SL frame was different than the

I got this one. Back in February, the 2020 model was the only one!
As above - it’s the same frame on 20/21... so go with that. Any changes between 20/21 are components only.
I guess i forgot to mention that I have the Turbo SL COMP CARBON. My bad!

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
S

A

M

E

F

R

ITS THE same frame.

I've recently done a FF Levo 2020 and an SL 2020 both size large and the patterns are not the same. Pretty sure the chain stays on the SL are shorter too?

I had to take the rubber mud guard off with the SL kit. Didn't have to with the FF kit. Maybe they changed a few things in the month between purchases?

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Fitted the Super Deluxe Ultimate last Friday when I got home from work. Was due to go for a ride on Sunday, but did my back in playing golf on the Saturday! Properly ruined, and I lay in the fetal position all of Sunday / Monday as it was the only thing that eased the pain!!

The bike has sat with the shock on for over a week teasing me. Although my back is still not 100%, I thought I’d take the bike for a gentle ride today.

We’re back in Covid lockdown again (although it’s lifting at midnight today ?), so I couldn’t go too far anyway.
Some roads, some fire road type trails, and a little bit of single track. Nothing particularly wild, but I’m really pleased with the shock so far. I no longer feel like I’m riding a bucking bronco when riding over rooty and rocky paths!

Looking forward to getting it out on some ‘real’ trails... hopefully next weekend. By that time, I’ll hopefully have done my 2021 damper upgrade to the Lyric too.

As things stand, the only original parts of the bike are the frame, wheels and cranks... although the cranks will be changed as soon as the Praxis carbon are available in the UK. Due beginning of Sept apparently ?

View attachment 38704

View attachment 38705
Nice one on the ShockWiz placement - I was wondering the best place to put mine.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
How have you found the shock with the meg meg? Feel nice ?

I did my back in playing golf the day after I fitted it!! Only ridden this weekend, but love it so far.
I also fitted the 2021 Lyric damper and a new seal kit before this ride - so the bike felt completely different.

Much smoother, and the rear didn’t feel like a bucking bronco when going over roots / rocks whilst pedalling.
Really impressed with the small bump sensitivity. I’ve never ridden a coil, so I can’t compare - but it’s a massive improvement over the stock DPS.

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
How did you go about installing the AXS derailleur? Do you need to drop the motor to remove the cable housing?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
How did you go about installing the AXS derailleur? Do you need to drop the motor to remove the cable housing?

Just undo the cable at the derailleur end, and pull it through. It’s routed through the frame inside a lining - so pulls out in seconds.

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
Just undo the cable at the derailleur end, and pull it through. It’s routed through the frame inside a lining - so pulls out in seconds.
Sweet! Thank you @p3eps
I was worried about pulling the cable housing as I wasn't sure if I needed extra precautions/

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
Doing some maintenance. Threw on my 170mm fork. New cassette, pads, rotors. Just waiting on copper chain
DFD8AE95-2CBF-45B5-A761-678854EE250A.jpeg

slate104

Sep 13, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I've been waiting until my baby was all done to make my first post... I think I'm finally there. I might add some oil slick decals and some more oil slick Ti bolts, but I'm not sure how much oil slick is too much. I am absolutely in love with this bike

Specialized Levo SL Expert Carbon - Size M

Enve M630 Wheels with i9 Hydra Hubs
SRAM XX1 AXS derailleur
SRAM XX1 10-50t cassette (Oil Slick)
SRAM XX1 chain (Oil Slick)
RockShox Reverb AXS 150 x 30.9mm dropper post
Fox Factory 34 Fork (2019 - Freebie from a friend who took it off his s-works)
Fox Factory DPx2 Rear Shock (2021)
Praxis M30 Carbon Cranks
ENVE M7 Carbon bar
ENVE 55mm Carbon stem
Shimano XTR M-9120 Brakes
Shimano front rotor is the XTR-RT-MT900 in 203mm, rear rotor is RT-EM810 (waiting on the RT-EM910 that is only available in EU it seems)
SDG X Sensus - RADAR FULL KEVLAR Seat
Sensus DISISDABOSS! Grips
Oneup Components Aluminum Flat Pedals - Oil Slick
Maxxis Assaegi DD 2.5 max grip front
Maxxis Dhr II 2.4 max grip rear
CushCore tire inserts and valves
Fifty Fifty Front Mud Guard
Added some Ti bolts to the stem, and rear shocks. Might add some to the brakes etc.

IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

IMG_5284 2.jpg

Last edited:

slate104

Sep 13, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Doing some maintenance. Threw on my 170mm fork. New cassette, pads, rotors. Just waiting on copper chain

How do you like that fork on the bike? Which one exactly is it? I've been debating on whether to upgrade my fork or not. It's the only thing I didn't pay for, but my Factory 34 is probably fine for the riding I do.

rydeezie

Jul 26, 2020
san francisco, california
i'm a heavier rider and the 38 is perfect for my SL. it does add some weight to the bike but i don't care. still much lighter than my Kenevo. the 34 is not for me

Just installed the 170 from my other bike. Still need to try it out.

The 160mm 38 I had on performed great. I took it to downieville and northstar bike park several times. It handled the chunky stuff real well. Stiffer fork for sure. It was also great to jump with and was smoother than previous forks on the chattery stuff. all the adjustments are real good. I wheelie on steep technical terrain with the 160 so 170 will probably be worse. I will just have to approach it differently

I'm very happy with the 38. I've tried it on a levo, enduro and SL. also, the 2021 X2's are real good compared to previous years

CA_Surveyor

Jul 9, 2020
Nor Cal
I did my back in playing golf the day after I fitted it!! Only ridden this weekend, but love it so far.
I also fitted the 2021 Lyric damper and a new seal kit before this ride - so the bike felt completely different.

Much smoother, and the rear didn’t feel like a bucking bronco when going over roots / rocks whilst pedalling.
Really impressed with the small bump sensitivity. I’ve never ridden a coil, so I can’t compare - but it’s a massive improvement over the stock DPS.
P3eps - I hit you up on another thread before I saw this. I have the same Lyric setup and can’t believe how much more I like the bike, way better than the stock 34. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 210 x 55 Super Deluxe Ultimate. Any idea if it will fit a large? You still happy with it? Words of caution? Thanks!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
P3eps - I hit you up on another thread before I saw this. I have the same Lyric setup and can’t believe how much more I like the bike, way better than the stock 34. I’m about to pull the trigger on a 210 x 55 Super Deluxe Ultimate. Any idea if it will fit a large? You still happy with it? Words of caution? Thanks!

If you think the Lyric is a big improvement, then you’ll be amazed how much better the bike is with the SDU fitted.
I’m still amazed how different it is to the stock shock.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
i'm a heavier rider and the 38 is perfect for my SL. it does add some weight to the bike but i don't care. still much lighter than my Kenevo. the 34 is not for me

Just installed the 170 from my other bike. Still need to try it out.

The 160mm 38 I had on performed great. I took it to downieville and northstar bike park several times. It handled the chunky stuff real well. Stiffer fork for sure. It was also great to jump with and was smoother than previous forks on the chattery stuff. all the adjustments are real good. I wheelie on steep technical terrain with the 160 so 170 will probably be worse. I will just have to approach it differently

I'm very happy with the 38. I've tried it on a levo, enduro and SL. also, the 2021 X2's are real good compared to previous years

Nice build! What size/tune X2 did you put on your bike?

CA_Surveyor

Jul 9, 2020
Nor Cal
A few rookie questions:
-Looking at the RS super Deluxe Ultimate shock. If I’m not mistaken the stock shock is 52.5mm stroke. If I go 55mm how much travel will that add? I really like how Lyric 160 slackened the bike and don’t want to “undo” by raising the rear.
-On the RS super deluxe can I order a specific tune or do they all come the same?

Thanks!

CA_Surveyor

Jul 9, 2020
Nor Cal
A few rookie questions:
-Looking at the RS super Deluxe Ultimate shock. If I’m not mistaken the stock shock is 52.5mm stroke. If I go 55mm how much travel will that add? I really like how Lyric 160 slackened the bike and don’t want to “undo” by raising the rear.
-On the RS super deluxe can I order a specific tune or do they all come the same?

Thanks!
Thinking harder about the first question..... It would seem that as long as eye to eye is 210 the stroke should add travel without raising the bike. True???

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Thinking harder about the first question..... It would seem that as long as eye to eye is 210 the stroke should add travel without raising the bike. True???

DANGER DANGER! There's a reason bikes are designed around a specific shock stroke. Given the geometry of the rear suspension, a certain amount of stroke translates yes, into a certain amount of travel, but it isn't limitless. You run a very real risk of parts banging into each other, tires into frame, and suspension components in positions/loads they weren't designed for. It doesn't take much to get beyond the design limits of most FS bikes, since it's a perpetual battle between travel, wheel size, wheel base, and other factors, and the engineers tend to take it right to the edge. Also, it will generally lead to a lower bottom bracket since the same amount of sag percentage will lead to more effective BB drop (depends on the FS design of course).

Short version = you can't just get a longer stroke shock and assume it'll just give your more travel...and you could hurt yourself or your bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles