Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL Expert - my build thread.

Pop Larkin

Jun 16, 2020
UK
I've been waiting until my baby was all done to make my first post... I think I'm finally there. I might add some oil slick decals and some more oil slick Ti bolts, but I'm not sure how much oil slick is too much. I am absolutely in love with this bike

Specialized Levo SL Expert Carbon - Size M

Enve M630 Wheels with i9 Hydra Hubs
SRAM XX1 AXS derailleur
SRAM XX1 10-50t cassette (Oil Slick)
SRAM XX1 chain (Oil Slick)
RockShox Reverb AXS 150 x 30.9mm dropper post
Fox Factory 34 Fork (2019 - Freebie from a friend who took it off his s-works)
Fox Factory DPx2 Rear Shock (2021)
Praxis M30 Carbon Cranks
ENVE M7 Carbon bar
ENVE 55mm Carbon stem
Shimano XTR M-9120 Brakes
Shimano front rotor is the XTR-RT-MT900 in 203mm, rear rotor is RT-EM810 (waiting on the RT-EM910 that is only available in EU it seems)
SDG X Sensus - RADAR FULL KEVLAR Seat
Sensus DISISDABOSS! Grips
Oneup Components Aluminum Flat Pedals - Oil Slick
Maxxis Assaegi DD 2.5 max grip front
Maxxis Dhr II 2.4 max grip rear
CushCore tire inserts and valves
Fifty Fifty Front Mud Guard
Added some Ti bolts to the stem, and rear shocks. Might add some to the brakes etc.

View attachment 41584

View attachment 41583

View attachment 41582
Good work-Have you weighed it?

slate104

Sep 13, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Good work-Have you weighed it?

Thank you. I was at 40.07 lbs last time I weighed it. That’s with AXS batteries, SWAT tool, and everything listed above. I‘ve made some small changes that I’m sure put me just under 40 lbs. now, but the Cush core inserts do add just over 1 lb.

A9743D92-2AAF-4E24-AA8C-22840D2E725B.jpeg

slate104

Sep 13, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
The cushcore are amazing over rock gardens!!! Quiets the tire noise as well. I’m pretty impressed by them. But honestly I only need them for the rock gardens.

Most of my local trails are quite rocky. I am absolutely in love with my bike and how it’s handling. Only waiting now to get my hands on a matching rear rotor from shimano that has the magnet. They have an RT-EM910 but it doesn’t seem to be available in the US and it is sold out everywhere in Europe.

CA_Surveyor

Jul 9, 2020
Nor Cal
On a medium frame with a 210/55 when the seat is all the way back and down the tire will hit it. I have to watch for this because my seat always slides back.

With the CC link and 55 on a medium frame you go down farther. If I were to bottom super hard hard the flex could slap my frames seat tube in to the rear triangle.
I’ll probably stick with the 52.5. Can anyone confirm that the RS Super Deluxe Ultimate fits with a range extender?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ll probably stick with the 52.5. Can anyone confirm that the RS Super Deluxe Ultimate fits with a range extender?
There’s a guy on the SL FB page with a Super Deluxe Ultimate on a Large frame. Fits with the RE if you move the slide the bottle cage to the bottom of the screw holes.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
33584AD0-CD8C-47AB-93B9-DA0D5E002416.jpeg

Finally, my 165mm carbon cranks are here. Original enquiry was made on the 17th February! I know they’ve been available in the US as an upgrade for a long time... but this is them just reached the UK!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
So why spend that kind of money for such minimal weight difference.

I wanted shorter cranks, and the Praxis Carbon ones are currently the ONLY aftermarket ones available for the Levo SL. The weight saved is a bonus really.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
It depends how much €€ per gram ?

83g for £280 isn’t actually that bad....

through other upgrades I’ve saved...
26g for £130 with carbon brake levers.
70g for £325 with the SRAM X01 cassette.
110g for £230 with the S-Works Phenom Saddle.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
@p3eps where are you in Scotland? I am really interested in the Levo SL but have only seen one in my region and not heard of any other XL's which is the size I would need!

Aberdeenshire. Don’t think I’ve seen another one out on the trails yet... although I haven’t seen many humans out riding since I got it!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The carbon rail on my Phenom S-Works saddle cracked. Took it back to my LBS, and after a couple of weeks, I have a warranty replacement in some nice retail packaging.
Top notch stuff from Spesh ??
1BE07E97-E47B-4DB5-A0CC-7B0D0B0A267A.jpeg

alexhalliow

Nov 5, 2020
Isle of Wight
My goal:

To get a bit of help in the climbs, so that I’m not so out of breath at the top that I don’t enjoy coming down! To get up technical climbs that I usually don’t have the legs for or carry the speed.
To be able to do some of the runs that I usually can only be bothered climbing once a couple of times.

I’m a relatively fit 42 year old, living in Scotland... with 2 children under 5.
I don’t get out on my bike as much as I’d like to, and when I do, it’s usually for a limited time. I thought an eMTB would help me get further in my allowed cycling time!

After about 18 months of pondering, I plunged into the Ebike world with a Trek Rail 9.9 in January. A monster of a bike with a powerful Bosch motor and a great selection of high end components. I wanted a bit of help on some of the climbs I struggle with... the easier I can go up, the more I can go down!
Although I thought the bike was awesome, it just felt like it offered me too much assist. On Eco it felt a bit heavy and sluggish, and eMTB felt a bit like I could conquer anything in 9th gear!

2 weeks later the Levo SL was announced... and sounded much more like what I was after from the start.
Thankfully there was a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, and I was able to test then swap the Rail for a Levo SL. If this bike had been available a few weeks before, this would have been my first choice.

So here I am...

My build has never been about weight... more about getting the components I want on the bike and making it better to ride. I could sacrifice performance for grams, but who wants a 16kg bike that feels like it’ll snap when you come charging down a rock garden?!

I was quite prepared to add weight to get the bike how I wanted it... but was quite intrigued by the differences between components. The general consensus is that Specialized has used lighter components to keep the weight down - so putting better parts on will put the weight up.
The Rail was 22.5kg ready to ride, so even at the stock weight of 17.88kg (No pedals and with tubes) it was a completely different beast.

I went with the SL Expert in XL thinking it was the sweet spot component wise. What I didn’t anticipate was that I would end up changing most of these anyway. I got a decent discount on the bike (15% off), but buying the Comp Carbon and upgrading it may have been a better option financially. I do prefer the finish of the paint job on the Expert though... and I guess when I sell the removed components, they may be worth more than the ones on the Comp Carbon.

Hey, I am in your same situation form before- I have a rail 9.9 AXS and am considering swapping to a Levo SL Expert Carbon. What are your thoughts in terms of comparable assistance- some have said its similar to the Turbo mode on the Bosch Performance CX, although these are two completely different bikes and the SL is lighter...

How have you found it from the handling point of view? I have found the rail very planted. I do a lot of general trail riding with some technical bits. Be good to get some feedback form you. How do you find the range etc?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles