Levo SL Gen 1 2020 Specialized Levo SL alloy custom build thread

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
Thought I’d put up a start to finish build thread on my Levo SL.
For those that don’t know I built up an alloy Levo (three actually for MB Cyclery in Haslemere, have a look at their instagram for pics) in the same Raw brushed alloy finish/process so when the SL was released I knew A. I’d have one and B. It would be an alloy one and finished to match.
Apart from the ‘shiny’ factor in that I think alloy looks better than carbon I also believe (other than maybe a few grams) in reality from a ‘seat of your pants’ point of view the ride on an alloy eBike is near identical to a carbon.
I’ll freely admit, this is not the cheapest or most cost effective way to build a bike.....but it’s different and unique and more importantly I enjoy the process.

Lets start with 2020 Levo SL alloy comp. Take a perfectly good bike and strip it to bear frame??‍♂️

56D5B918-2325-42D1-94FE-6EB5375C5043.jpeg

A5454930-2C68-41E5-8B01-0A410BB59E21.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
For those that don’t know I built up an alloy Levo (three actually for MB Cyclery in Haslemere, have a look at their instagram for pics) in the same Raw brushed alloy finish/process so when the SL was released I knew A. I’d have one and B. It would be an alloy one and finished to match.
Apart from the ‘shiny’ factor in that I think alloy looks better than carbon I also believe (other than maybe a few grams) in reality from a ‘seat of your pants’ point of view the ride on an alloy eBike is near identical to a carbon.
I’ll freely admit, this is not the cheapest or most cost effective way to build a bike.....but it’s different and unique and more importantly I enjoy the process.

Lets start with 2020 Levo SL alloy comp. Take a perfectly good bike and strip it to bear frame??‍♂️

View attachment 25946

View attachment 25947
Do us a favour will ya?
Weigh the stripped frame (both stays and front triangle) before and after paint stripping/polishing.
I've stripped and polished a few frames in my time and am just interested in the weights and weight savings [/nerding]

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
This should be interesting.....appreciate you posting the process.

I'm also curious of the paint weight....is the factory finish paint or powder?

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
what are the two holes in the underside of the down tube for?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey

View attachment 25946

View attachment 25947
Damn, without a doubt those are the smokingest EMTB's I have seen to date, baby I like it raw!

MB Cyclery (@mbcyclery) • Instagram photos and videos

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 10.20.13.png

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 10.20.27.png

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 10.20.38.png

Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 10.21.01.png

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Do us a favour will ya?
Weigh the stripped frame (both stays and front triangle) before and after paint stripping/polishing.
I've stripped and polished a few frames in my time and am just interested in the weights and weight savings [/nerding]

I’m going to guess around 100g but we will see.

helivate

Feb 5, 2020
Utah USA
Do you have plans to upgrade the fork?
I'm eventually wanting to upgrade to a lyrik I think, but leaning towards a 150 still even though I would love a 160 to slacken the bike a little. (because I've seen several mention it's not recommended to go to 160)
Also thinking of doing a coil for a bit to see how it feels.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'm eventually wanting to upgrade to a lyrik I think, but leaning towards a 150 still even though I would love a 160 to slacken the bike a little. (because I've seen several mention it's not recommended to go to 160)
How tall are you? I found it pretty twitchy on climbs with the 150. 160 and it’ll want to loop out way too much for taller riders.

helivate

Feb 5, 2020
Utah USA
How tall are you? I found it pretty twitchy on climbs with the 150. 160 and it’ll want to loop out way too much for taller riders.
6'1" on a large. So yeah, sticking with 150 sounds like it might be a good idea. Rob, do you know if the flip chip in low is 66deg or is it 65.5?

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey

Full built spec tbc but will be Full Gas raw.....sticking with air and 150 travel as agree with Rob on handling, I have 160 & coil on other Levo’s so might bang them on just to test, I’m sure Spech will have already done this.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
you're making a really good case for an alloy frame here mate. if you'd consider doing this as a paid service please let us know.

the bash guard on the Levo - did that require extra holes in the frame? (I bash my Levo BB a lot ... but it's carbon).

(& I can get over to Haslemere easy enough, not far away ...).

Blinkie

Jan 11, 2020
aberdeen
6'1" on a large. So yeah, sticking with 150 sounds like it might be a good idea. Rob, do you know if the flip chip in low is 66deg or is it 65.5?

Flip chip is 66/66.5 not 66/65.5 as reported in some places

The Specialized technical documents and geometry state 66 / 66.5 head tube angle. 66 degree being the Flipchip on the lower (default) position. I have attached the Levo SL user manual which refers to the flipchip starting page 23. I am unaware of where some testers have acquired this information, but I suspect it may be a typo.

I was told it was default set to the 66 lower setting

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
@73Steff while we wait for the paint off weight figures did you get a weight for the stock bike with no pedals? There’s other posts on here that claim a weight I find hard to believe!

helivate

Feb 5, 2020
Utah USA
@73Steff while we wait for the paint off weight figures did you get a weight for the stock bike with no pedals? There’s other posts on here that claim a weight I find hard to believe!
19.7kg with my OneUp Composite pedals. (Sorry, too lazy to take them off right now)
And tubes. But I’m installing cushcore, so that probably won’t change much for me.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
19.7kg with my OneUp Composite pedals. (Sorry, too lazy to take them off right now)
And tubes. But I’m installing cushcore, so that probably won’t change much for me.

Thanks mate. That’s what I thought it would be. What size is that?

Jpzeroday

Sep 16, 2018
Nevada
What was the frame only weight with paint?

Awaiting, Interested in the stripped frame only weight?

Would you happen to know the Carbon frame only weight?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles