Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I don’t get the fidlock thing in general, what’s the big deal?

dirt-diggler

Oct 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I don’t get the fidlock thing in general, what’s the big deal?

I like my fidlock bottle, it doesn't fall off.

Next week I think I may end up using my range extender, so I thought it would be handy way of swapping between bottle and battery.

I guess the other option would be to ask what bottle fits nicely in the bottle cage that the range extenders sit in?

Apr 11, 2023
US
I like my fidlock bottle, it doesn't fall off.

Next week I think I may end up using my range extender, so I thought it would be handy way of swapping between bottle and battery.

I guess the other option would be to ask what bottle fits nicely in the bottle cage that the range extenders sit in?
Camelbak Podium 24oz works....

Jun 23, 2022
USA
Hello. Building up a KSL 2 soon from the frame up. A couple of things are standing out from the normal process of sourcing parts. The new 1.2 uses the SRAM DUB interface while new at the moment, I'm sure it will catch on as another common standard once the SRAM/Brose motor gets spec'd more across the brands.

For now, other than 5 Dev and the SRAM DUB for the 1.2 motor (which I could only get at 165mm length), what other 1.2 motor/SRAM DUB cranks options are out there to buy?

Thanks.

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
Done with my KSL2 build. Deeply in love with it, especially how the bike goes downhill now.
  • 180mm Fox 38
  • 230x65 EXT E-Storia
  • Setup: low / mid
  • Weight: 19,4kg (w/o pedals)
  • One Up V2 180mm
  • Wheels: NoTubes ZTR Flow MK4 w/ Dt Swiss 240s
  • S3
Biggest surprise to me: no issues with dropper post insertion depth at all! I was really worrying about it: studying all forums/threads about it, calculating seat heights, ordering 3 different seat posts, almost refraining from buying the frame. At the end it turned out to be an absolute non issue for my 5'10 with 34" inseam.

2024-03-17 16.26.23.jpg 2024-03-17 16.26.40.jpg 2024-03-17 16.26.47.jpg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Done with my KSL2 build. Deeply in love with it, especially how the bike goes downhill now.
  • 180mm Fox 38
  • 230x65 EXT E-Storia
  • Setup: low / mid
  • Weight: 19,4kg (w/o pedals)
  • One Up V2 180mm
  • Wheels: NoTubes ZTR Flow MK4 w/ Dt Swiss 240s
  • S3
Biggest surprise to me: no issues with dropper post insertion depth at all! I was really worrying about it: studying all forums/threads about it, calculating seat heights, ordering 3 different seat posts, almost refraining from buying the frame. At the end it turned out to be an absolute non issue for my 5'10 with 34" inseam.

View attachment 136647 View attachment 136648 View attachment 136649
Interesting how you are riding an S3 at 5'10" with an inseam of 34". I am guessing you have always ridden a medium? I am on an S3 at 5'8" with an inseam of 28". I find the saddle to at least a few inches too tall for going DH when its in its lowest possible position. I get too many kicks in the nuts even when using a 180mm OneUp dropper post.

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
Interesting how you are riding an S3 at 5'10" with an inseam of 34". I am guessing you have always ridden a medium? I am on an S3 at 5'8" with an inseam of 28". I find the saddle to at least a few inches too tall for going DH when its in its lowest possible position. I get too many kicks in the nuts even when using a 180mm OneUp dropper post.
Long legs, short torso definitely helps on the KSL. I am having almost the exact same seatpost height and lowest possible position as on my FF Kenevo (which has a better max insertion depth). But I can imagine that with shorter legs it's a challenge. The tips 1., 2. and 5. here from the forum helped me to get the max insertion out of it.

IMG_03F887D2E409-1.jpeg

sethimus

Dec 31, 2023
Switzerland
better: use the 30.9mm one like specialized does. the framekit even comes with a 34.9 to 30.9 reducer. i have also long legs and am able to use a 210mm on a s4 frame. and i still have a few mm left (which i will probably use to add an anomaly switchgrade at a later date). 155mm cranks help too… (at least when sitting, standing you lose 10mm+ drop)

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
180mm one up v2 31.6 on S3. could be slammed a few more millimeters more, but this would bend the cable housing quite a lot and seat height when fully extended would be too low for me.

IMG_4365.jpg

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
180mm one up v2 31.6 on S3. could be slammed a few more millimeters more, but this would bend the cable housing quite a lot and seat height when fully extended would be too low for me.

View attachment 136689
I think that coming from a DH bike where I was able to slam the seat so low that I was getting tire buzz on the saddle, it's the shock tunnel that kills the hope of using any dropper post of any significant length. A few mm will not help my nuts taking a beating when riding the steeps as 70mm is pretty high for the base post to stick out of the frame 🤷‍♂️.
This is one of the FEW complaints to an otherwise great bike!

*edited for typo

Last edited:

Geas

Jun 24, 2022
Austria
I think that coming from a DH bike where I was able to slam the seat so low that I was getting tire buzz on the saddle, it's the shock tunnel that kills the hope of using any dropper post of any significant length. A few mm will not help my nuts taking a beating when riding the steeps as 70mm is pretty high for the base post to stick out of the frame 🤷‍♂️.
This is one of the FEW complaints to an unwise great bike!
Yes, that's definitely a weak point of the frame design and shock position!

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
So what everyone thinking on the new KSL/new SL motor? 2+ years away?

The new Bosch lightweight motor definitely outclasses the SL motor, much more punchy, bigger battery, near silent, so Specilized is going to be relying on their name and frame design to compete until they come up with something better

MatCret

Jan 21, 2024
France, FarWest France
Hello. Building up a KSL 2 soon from the frame up. A couple of things are standing out from the normal process of sourcing parts. The new 1.2 uses the SRAM DUB interface while new at the moment, I'm sure it will catch on as another common standard once the SRAM/Brose motor gets spec'd more across the brands.

For now, other than 5 Dev and the SRAM DUB for the 1.2 motor (which I could only get at 165mm length), what other 1.2 motor/SRAM DUB cranks options are out there to buy?

Thanks.
Hello, some of us bought the cranks specced on the Kids Levo SL, same 1.2 motor, DUB interface but 155mm length. Ask the nearest Specialized dealer for order.

dirt-diggler

Oct 10, 2023
United Kingdom
I think it's all down to sizing for me, I just don't feel comfortable on the bike. It's a shame as it's the nicest bike I've ever owned.

No issues with the motor or delivery of power, that suits me well and I've managed to do some really good rides pushing towards 4000ft of climbing.

One of the main things I struggle with is not being able to slam the seat, I ride alot of the smaller bike parks you get in the UK and it's not confident inspiring on jumps (in my opinion)

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
I think it's all down to sizing for me, I just don't feel comfortable on the bike. It's a shame as it's the nicest bike I've ever owned.

No issues with the motor or delivery of power, that suits me well and I've managed to do some really good rides pushing towards 4000ft of climbing.

One of the main things I struggle with is not being able to slam the seat, I ride alot of the smaller bike parks you get in the UK and it's not confident inspiring on jumps (in my opinion)
That's fair. I got used to not slamming the post and using the one up gave me enough clearance to feel good. God speed brother. My you find better sends in the future.

Krgolob

Jul 15, 2019
Slovenia
I've had KSL2 on test the other day and It drain the battery really fast; too fast?
I have SL2 and I normally use 10-20% battery on my backyard trail. With new demo KSL2 I used 40% battery; it is the same battery and the same motor as on mine SL2. So I tested my SL2 again; everything maxed-out (turbo) and I used only 30% of battery. Same trail, 2 days apart, presumably stickier tires on SL2 (soft MagicMary/Hans Dampf). Uphill on gravel fire road felt easy with SL2, but slow and sluggish with KSL2. I weighted both and there was around half a kilo difference, so not that much (I expected more). Downhill was completely different story, but it is not relevant for battery consumption.

So why more than 30% difference in battery consumption? It can't be only bike geo?

Teoslav

Nov 4, 2023
Zagreb, Croatia
I've had KSL2 on test the other day and It drain the battery really fast; too fast?
I have SL2 and I normally use 10-20% battery on my backyard trail. With new demo KSL2 I used 40% battery; it is the same battery and the same motor as on mine SL2. So I tested my SL2 again; everything maxed-out (turbo) and I used only 30% of battery. Same trail, 2 days apart, presumably stickier tires on SL2 (soft MagicMary/Hans Dampf). Uphill on gravel fire road felt easy with SL2, but slow and sluggish with KSL2. I weighted both and there was around half a kilo difference, so not that much (I expected more). Downhill was completely different story, but it is not relevant for battery consumption.

So why more than 30% difference in battery consumption? It can't be only bike geo?
Maybe the demo bike has a lowered battery capacity? You can check in the specialized app

Krgolob

Jul 15, 2019
Slovenia
I doubt that, it was completely new demo KSL2 Comp bike from official Spec store. I was the first rider, had to enable full power in app (80=>100), didn't noticed anything else different from my SL2.
I'm not aware of any other battery capacity for 1.2 Mahle motor other than 320Wh.

Anyone else had experience with higher battery consumption on KSL compared to LevoSL? Or was this just one-off lemon bike/motor/battery?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Consumption between two SL2 motors should be broadly similar, assuming power settings, altitude gain and rider weight are consistent. It’s hard to assess over a single ride, as there are always day to day variations. I have seen some variance between software versions on other e-bikes (my ‘18 Kenevo has always been more thirsty than its sister bike that got a new motor and battery firmware update early on).

Olivier Clg

Nov 15, 2021
France
I doubt that, it was completely new demo KSL2 Comp bike from official Spec store. I was the first rider, had to enable full power in app (80=>100), didn't noticed anything else different from my SL2.
I'm not aware of any other battery capacity for 1.2 Mahle motor other than 320Wh.

Anyone else had experience with higher battery consumption on KSL compared to LevoSL? Or was this just one-off lemon bike/motor/battery?
Well, I own a LSL 1.2 and a KSL 1.1. I have swaped the Mahle 1.2 in my KSL : in my experience, with same 29 wheelset, same uphill trail, and same motor settings (Eco 25-40, Trail 50-60, Turbo 100-100), the consumption is the same on both bikes.

Apr 11, 2023
US
Well, I own a LSL 1.2 and a KSL 1.1. I have swaped the Mahle 1.2 in my KSL : in my experience, with same 29 wheelset, same uphill trail, and same motor settings (Eco 25-40, Trail 50-60, Turbo 100-100), the consumption is the same on both bikes.
So just to make sure, you get more power 35 vs 50 and battery usage is the same??? if that is the case, I gotta get a 1.2...

Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles