Bafang M500 and M600 motors

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
About the durability - i have done around 1000km on M500 with M600 controller (1.1kW peak) and everything was perfectly fine till i crashed last month and then damaged nylon gear and mid-gear with clutch (and got spare set from Czech).

In my opinion the 'new m500 gear' is fairy tale, because it would require also a new stator to match. I never heard and never saw a new M500 stator, and my M500 is rather from the mid-end of M500 production, not from the beginning.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Guys, I doubt they have changed rotor or gearing. On new M500 is new bootloader, so you just wont flash older firmwares.

But I can be mistaken, did not open new M500.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Thats pity the Bafang cant provide basic spare parts.

This nylon gear is not even a spare part, its maintenance part, like an air filter in car.
It will break soon or later.

What would people do with broken M500? Or better say, what would bicycle shops do with that motors?
Or will be Bafang swapping them for M510 for free? ;)

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
Do you use the throttle with the M500? How many watts does it provide for you? Mine only provides 280W :(

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Thanks Dado!!!! Silly me!!! 😄😄
I just installed the throttle... Was not aware that the pas level affect also the throttle power....

Thanks!
Unfortunately M500 and M600 throttle worked according PAS. That was such a stupid idea from Bafang.

M510 v8.1 or 10.1 I discovered max speed on throttle is hardcoded to 32kmh

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Guys, my M600 suddenly switched off and is effectively dead, checked all the wiring connectors and wiring loom for continuity, replaced like for like both on buttons and display all to what it would appear no faults. Checked the internal fuse and that checks out with max volts reducing to 3.5 volts when the on off switch is pressed. Seems powered up.

Taken the controller out expecting to see water ingress or a board fault but no suspected areas for a fault.

Anything else to look for before I order another controller ?

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Does the led on controller turn on when you press power button? And then goes to blinking after boot up?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Thanks, not something I have checked, I'll reconnect the controller and have a look. What position on the board is the LED ?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Mmmm no LED light. All the wiring loom seems OK as in continuity ( except 1 pin which I'm presuming is the 6V light, my loom hasn't a light output ) and I have a new DZ41 display, new buttons but not the DPC242 display to test with.

OK how can I test the connector betwen the loom and motor, without a strip down of the entire motor ?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Another question. When testing off the bike, as in motor, wiring loom, display on the bench, do you also need to have the speed sensor connected ? Its the one thing I haven't yet taken off the bike.

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Another question. When testing off the bike, as in motor, wiring loom, display on the bench, do you also need to have the speed sensor connected ? Its the one thing I haven't yet taken off the bike.
If only to test it no need connect the speed sensor, when testing on walk mode it just show error 21 after the motor turn for a while.

boom boom

Oct 20, 2023
pattaya
If you wont see LED turn on, I would check/replace cables, connectors, buttons.

Hy dado i can see that you know very well about bafang i m facing to a problem that the m600 won t turn on .I got a new motor underwarranty .
So i replace with new motor and bike work good now . So i try to fix the broken one .
I order new controler . Not working .
I order new pcb and cable . Not working .
So i unplug torque sensor and motor and i get the green light flashing .
When i plug the torque sensor the green light stop flashing .
What this green light mean and can i start the display without torque sensor plug ?
thank s for you re help

IMG20231228194954.jpg IMG20231228201523_01.jpg

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Hello.

Green blinking light means controller had boot up successfully and no error. (form new controllers they have removed this LED - saved 0.01 USD :)
Yes, you can unplug torque sensor, but it wont help u, will be giving u error. Is strange it is not booting up with torque connected. Could be some shortage at torque sensor. If only wrong voltage output from torque it should give you error, but should be able to power on.

Do u have Besst? If you plug torque sensor, are you able to read motor over Besst? Let us know what voltage from torque is Besst reading.

I would try new torque sensor...

boom boom

Oct 20, 2023
pattaya
Hello.

Green blinking light means controller had boot up successfully and no error. (form new controllers they have removed this LED - saved 0.01 USD :)
Yes, you can unplug torque sensor, but it wont help u, will be giving u error. Is strange it is not booting up with torque connected. Could be some shortage at torque sensor. If only wrong voltage output from torque it should give you error, but should be able to power on.

Do u have Besst? If you plug torque sensor, are you able to read motor over Besst? Let us know what voltage from torque is Besst reading.

I would try new torque sensor...
Thx so even with torque sensor disconnected the screen should turn on if i understand .

yes i do have besst but besst not reconise it as the motor can t turn on .
I don t want buy a torque sensor new if the problem is from something else .

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Yes, also without TS.
You said u have changed everything, right? So only sensor is missing. ;)

Try connect to Best without torque sensor connected and let us know.

marcelmmx

Jan 31, 2024
Slovakia
Hey everyone. I hope there will be someone who can point me in the right direction - I am looking for a firmware for my M500 (currently CRX10NC3615i142017.7). The firmware should have a very weak support on setting 1 (like 50 to 100W) and gradually increase it from there. And, of course, it should not blow up the motor at higher settings. Do any of you use or know of such a firmware?

marcelmmx

Jan 31, 2024
Slovakia
Yes, me and with it 17A FW.
Hi, I saw you are using a FW I was planning to install on my motor. My question is: how many Watts do you get on Level 1 support? I am looking for a firmware, that offers a very low Level 1 and 2 support - around 50-100W, not the crazy 390W I'm getting now. Also, have you, maybe, seen other firmware for M500, with this type of setup? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vikino1

Oct 14, 2021
Slovakia Topoľčany
I was running it and it's like this: 1.2 approx. 300w 3.4 approx. 400w 5.6 approx. 600w 7,8,9 over 700w In the photo, st.1 is about 300w, it is difficult to take pictures with a mobile phone in hand.

1706783732129.jpg

marcelmmx

Jan 31, 2024
Slovakia
I was running it and it's like this: 1.2 approx. 300w 3.4 approx. 400w 5.6 approx. 600w 7,8,9 over 700w In the photo, st.1 is about 300w, it is difficult to take pictures with a mobile phone in hand.

300W as the lowest support - that is just ridiculous - the bike basically rides itself - so its either be driven around or turn off the motor and do all the work yourself. If I knew this was the case I would not have bought a bike with this motor. And there is apparently no way to change it either.

vikino1

Oct 14, 2021
Slovakia Topoľčany
But you know it's the peak, with increasing speed the assistance decreases. I'm guessing you're not pushing it all the time. And you also have gears, I have no problem with that.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
It depends what you looking for. Bafang is famous for higher power and less pedalling - we all get lazy from this motor. ;)
You can still update to M510 FC2.0. All is compatible and it is a good motor - you can finally set controller parameters: power levels, acceleration, support level, rpms, startup angle.

marcelmmx

Jan 31, 2024
Slovakia

Btw., how is your power consumption after swapping to the 17A firmware?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles