Bafang M500 V2 vs Bosch Gen 4

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
its worth every single penny imo. Now M500 is up to 720W and M600 up to 1kW. Still difference, but not twice as it was.
Now M500 may be competetive to other 250W rated engines on the market.

Firmware update should be possible directly through the Bafang GO app for bluetooth display such as CP241 but the Bafang GO app is a piece of garbage and this functionality is just bugged - you cannot pick a file or push update - and its finally not working.

BootsDave

Feb 5, 2021
Aveyron, France
My BESST tool arrived today! I have to say it’s one complicated process, but eventually I got it working. Only managed a quick test, but I’m seeing 14amps compared to 11amps before. It definitely feels more powerful, more like the top level on my Yamaha PWX.
Full test to come in the next couple of days.
For those that only have a Mac, I installed Windows using Parallels Desktop.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
its worth every single penny imo. Now M500 is up to 720W and M600 up to 1kW. Still difference, but not twice as it was.
Now M500 may be competetive to other 250W rated engines on the market.

Firmware update should be possible directly through the Bafang GO app for bluetooth display such as CP241 but the Bafang GO app is a piece of garbage and this functionality is just bugged - you cannot pick a file or push update - and its finally not working.
Cant wait to test it! But it would be more interesting to me, if the derating behaviour with low battery is improved. That was my main complaint about the bike. Let‘s see. Once the tool arrived, I‘ll give it a try and keep You posted! Enjoy weekend!

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
probably if your system is 48v you could try with 14s battery or of 36v with 11s.This is my plan for the m600

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Thats ok - I saw appr 250 W below 35% and below 30% I remember 150+ W only. Feels like assist level 1 only, barely compensating the additional weight and rolling resistance of an ebike and really painful uphill..

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
probably if your system is 48v you could try with 14s battery or of 36v with 11s.This is my plan for the m600
14S works fine, I haven't yet run the battery down fully but at 520WH used ( the battery was still showing 52 volts ) from a 780WH battery, its still pushing out max power. To date I have been discharging the battery ever so slightly to just below 58 volts before fitting as I'm lead to beleive over 58 volts it will go into an error code ( on my battery I only loose 5W/hs so no loss to worry about ). The only downside to the 52volts is that when the battery is fully charged, the motor becomes a little too fiesty on initial ramp up. Also on full charge the minimum Watts on 1 of 9 levels is about 350W's ( sorry I can't be more precise but the darn screen size of the additional info is almost so small as to be useless on the CP241 screen ).

Other than those little niggles, its a very very good motor that is way more powerful than you really need.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
This is such a pain as without doubt, this has to be easiest way of updating the files, anybody out there conversant with writing Apps ?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
M500 is throttle capable, and i have the throttle for mine (you need to detach it in eu to keep full legal) but how great it is on climbing, you can push the throttle to max and engine is pushing power in meantime of your steps on pedals.

As far i know most of EU rated mid-engines with torque sensing have no even option for throttle.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
M500 is throttle capable, and i have the throttle for mine (you need to detach it in eu to keep full legal) but how great it is on climbing, you can push the throttle to max and engine is pushing power in meantime of your steps on pedals.

As far i know most of EU rated mid-engines with torque sensing have no even option for throttle.

An "start assist" device is legal in EU on e-bike. i have seen city bike with yamaha motor with an throttle, the only constraint is 6 km/h max.
I have mechanically bloqued throttle range for 6 km/h et it is the better walk assist mode of all motor in market.

BootsDave

Feb 5, 2021
Aveyron, France
I completed my first full test with CRX10NC4813i. Just over 60km, with 1500m of climb. I used level 5 of 5 for the whole ride. When the battery gets to 30% power is cut to around 500w, at 20% power is cut to 250w and at 10% power is cut to 200w. I just got down to 10% at the end of the ride.
It is definitely comparable to the power of my Yamaha PWX bike, but seems more cadence driven. The Yamaha responds more to torque on the pedals, with the Bafang I have to keep the cadence up to get maximum power.
Now i just need to find a really steep hill so I can do a true comparison ;-)

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I completed my first full test with CRX10NC4813i. Just over 60km, with 1500m of climb. I used level 5 of 5 for the whole ride. When the battery gets to 30% power is cut to around 500w, at 20% power is cut to 250w and at 10% power is cut to 200w. I just got down to 10% at the end of the ride.
It is definitely comparable to the power of my Yamaha PWX bike, but seems more cadence driven. The Yamaha responds more to torque on the pedals, with the Bafang I have to keep the cadence up to get maximum power.
Now i just need to find a really steep hill so I can do a true comparison ;-)
Thanks for the update! Sounds like a big improvement, compared to my 10A Firmware! Enjoy!

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
working as intended, and now run the besst (do not close the cmd with script).

next steps:
a. upload and pick file
b. after beeps - unplug the besst cable from bike. NOT usb from besst or laptop, but BESST connector to engine (single plug)
c. wait few seconds then connect and update will proceed automatically
d. click 'reset' after beep
View attachment 68879
Thanks again for Your help! My BT arrived a minute ago! Could You please quickly tell me how to connect the BT to the bike? Do I unplug both the display connectors and plug in the wire from the handle bar unit into BT, and the wire coming from the frame also into the BT? Thanks for Your adivce!

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Yes, this triangle plugs (are for CAN). We're waiting for your feedback @thaeber

after update procedure you may 'read' the name of firmwre and check its corresponding to CRX10NC4813i142015.8 version

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Yes, this triangle plugs (are for CAN). We're waiting for your feedback @thaeber

after update procedure you may 'read' the name of firmwre and check its corresponding to CRX10NC4813i142015.8 version
Completed! Everything worked fine, thanks guys! But now I‘m f***ed becaus my display to motor cable seems to have a defect. I get Error 30, when I slightly bend the cable closed to the display plug, it‘s working. It‘s looks like its not the connection to the display but the cabel itself. Any idea where to get an replacement?

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
I would look on aliexpress or write to Bafang, however - check the plug connection to the display - maybe its just not correctly plugged (i mean you need to push it to the end).

Kyokushin

Mar 28, 2021
Sol
Have no contact to sales but you may try here:

You may also look for a company who have Bafang engines in their bikes in Germany or EU.
This is Polish ebike company (they have nice bikes btw) and maybe they will have spare part.

And these two are from Czech:

I know its workaround but you may bend cable to position when it is working and keep it in this position by this, or silver-tape till you get new cable.

1629111962262.png

Beside of above - any electronic service should be able to fix the cable you have at now even if you will not be able to buy new.

Last edited:

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Have no contact to sales but you may try here:

You may also look for a company who have Bafang engines in their bikes in Germany or EU.
This is Polish ebike company (they have nice bikes btw) and maybe they will have spare part.

And these two are from Czech:

I know its workaround but you may bend cable to position when it is working and keep it in this position by this, or silver-tape till you get new cable.

View attachment 69118

Beside of above - any electronic service should be able to fix the cable you have at now even if you will not be able to buy new.
Thank You very much mate! I installed the zipp tie option already before You postetd it :) hope that works! I‘ll try to get replacement asap. Thanks for the contacts!!!

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco
Mates, i just updated firmware of my m500 with the help of @Kyokushin ☺. I just had the time to do a round in the garage and can only say that it feels GREAT ?????☺☺☺. Bike already now has much more torque and is sooo punchy now. Great firmware for this first small test and special thanks to all of you ✊.

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
Mates, i just updated firmware of my m500 with the help of @Kyokushin ☺. I just had the time to do a round in the garage and can only say that it feels GREAT ?????☺☺☺. Bike already now has much more torque and is sooo punchy now. Great firmware for this first small test and special thanks to all of you ✊.
I just returned from a longer test ride. The zip tie bugfix worked with no problems. 42 km and 1.300 hm accomplished!
This is the cheeb on steroids now! Much better then expected! I pushed the bike really hard and fast on this extended round, and retourned with 15 % battery left. Mode 2 is replacing Mode 3 within my preferred setting, supporting with up to appr. 375 Watt. Mode 3 up to 500W. Mode 4 up to 600+W, Mode 5 I saw up to 720 W peak. The bike performes best with higher cadence, perfectly matching my riding style with lots of support when needed, very very natural feeling. And most important: The derating behaviour is as described from @Kyokushin and @BootsDave. Below 30% still up to 500 W (feels like the the old firmware, fully charged), still 250 W below 20 %. I also changed the wheel diameter from 2274 to more realistic 2168 mm (preset value). Now the deviation to the track record on Relive is appr. 2%, and on the faster side (Display says 40.7 km / Relive says 41.5 km). Very nice. I‘m totally happy, and thanks again to all of You for Your support. And special thanks to @Kyokushin for his patiance and great support! And congrats to @Puschtrale and everyone for getting it done!

thaeber

Jan 26, 2021
Bruchsal, Germany
I don't know if this would be fine:
Thanks mate! If I dont get the original cable, I will buy this cable, cut it, do a soldering job and repair my cable. Highly appreciated. @Kyokushin forwardet a link to Tosa bikes, they allready replied and there is a chance I get the original replacement there. Thanks!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Great news guys, all we need is to now get the M600 assist levels sorted. Who did you contact Kyokshin as maybe its worth us getting in contact with them ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles