Bafang M600 Service and Repair

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I'm starting this thread in anticipation of a series of videos I'm currently editing.

In accordance with the moderators request, this thread is strictly about the servicing & repairs of the Bafang M600 motor. And should not be mistaken for either the M500 and M510. Certain components for the M600 are specific to this motor including but not limited too,
20220926_164917.jpg

Main reduction gear
20220922_182656.jpg

and the controller.
received_1322276938307885.jpeg

In addition, more durable needle bearings are surfacing, which promises more reliability and longevity.
received_1082104502462676.jpeg

The grease used in particular areas within the motor and how much to apply, can also determine how long specific components last. So I'll do my utmost to carefully explain what grease in specific areas and where to source them from.
20220922_182646.jpg

In the meantime please don't hesitate to reach out to me on this thread.

I may start another thread, specific to the servicing and repair of the M620 (UART & CANBus and the differences internally between the two). So please bare with 👍🏿

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
I'm starting this thread in anticipation of a series of videos I'm currently editing.

In accordance with the moderators request, this thread is strictly about the servicing & repairs of the Bafang M600 motor. And should not be mistaken for either the M500 and M510. Certain components for the M600 are specific to this motor including but not limited too, View attachment 99016
Main reduction gear
View attachment 99017
and the controller. View attachment 99018
In addition, more durable needle bearings are surfacing, which promises more reliability and longevity.
View attachment 99019
The grease used in particular areas within the motor and how much to apply, can also determine how long specific components last. So I'll do my utmost to carefully explain what grease in specific areas and where to source them from.
View attachment 99020

I may start another thread, specific to the servicing and repair of the M620 (UART & CANBus and the differences internally between the two). So please bare with 👍🏿
Neko, My M600 controller suddenly dead. Already test with my friends controller motor can turn on. Is there anyway servising the controller without buy a new one?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Neko, My M600 controller suddenly dead. Already test with my friends controller motor can turn on. Is there anyway servising the controller without buy a new one?
Without looking at the motherboard and connectors, I couldn't say. I've swapped the white molex connectors out of one controller due to an alignment issue.
Kindly take clear pictures for inspection 👍🏿

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Apologies for the delay @temon10.

The controller's connectors and motherboard look clean. No signs of overeating through overvaulting etc.

Your phase wire cables dont seem damaged or kinked. And the pins in for the molex connectors look straight.

My guess is that a particular part of the controller has shorted out.

I know this is probably what you don't want to hear. But I'd simply buy a new controller and cut your losses with the old one.

I've heard that the Ludicrous controller is a better controller than the stock 👍🏿

Dean R

Jul 9, 2021
Chesterfield
Hi my controller connections have a fault, hope you can help.
With the controller loose on the side of the motor I can power up my bike. And tun it off.
But when I fasten the controller back to the side of the motor it won’t turn off or if it times out it wont turn on.
once I remove the screws from the controller it will power up again or after I have disturbed the wires.
so I’m guessing a loose connection on one of the three white plugs but no idea which one I should be looking at or how to diagnose which one it is.
Except the small one with two black wires looks a little suspect.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
i make a mistake during software download (i have disconnect the wire). result:
i can't switch on the motor
when i try to read controller info with BESST tool => empty.

Does soùebody have an solution ? i need to replace the controller ?

solved. i have removed the battery several minutes and after with BESST tool pro i could upload the software

Last edited:

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
i make a mistake during software download (i have disconnect the wire). result:
i can't switch on the motor
when i try to read controller info with BESST tool => empty.

Does soùebody have an solution ? i need to replace the controller ?

solved. i have removed the battery several minutes and after with BESST tool pro i could upload the software

When motor is "half bricked" you can not read motor over Besst. Then do the trick with force flash by typing CR into serial number and open any bin file for your motor. Then just connect to motor.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
thanks all. solved. simply by ignite the motor before connect BESST (with firmware previously upload on BESST).

priestc

Oct 6, 2023
United States
I have an ebike that uses the M600 motor. I've had it for about a year and have put about 1800 miles on it. Over time the motor has gotten louder and louder. It sounds like some part is just not lubricated enough or something. The sound is not consistent, there is a frequency to it. I've been meaning to disassemble to motor to see if I can see is anything that can be fixed, but doing that requires special tools that I don't have, so I've been putting it off.

Anyways, I was riding it a few weeks ago, and the motor just cut out. I tried pressing the power button on and off again, but nothing happened. The screen comes on, but there is just no torque in the motor. So I've parked that bike and order the tools needed to get it disassembled.

I bought this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.29.16451802Qj6snh&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

which allowed me to remove the ring holding on the chainring, but after that I have no idea what to do next to get into the motor. Is there a document somewhere the explains how to disassemble the motor?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Hi @priestc, if you've had the motor for less than 2years, it might be worth attempting to go through the warranty process and getting it serviced. However if it's difficult to go through the warranty process, you'll need to do the following.
20231009_200437.jpg

You'll first need to remove the controller which is located on the driveside (the side where the chainring spider is attached.
20231009_200427.jpg

Using a T10, undo the four screws which secure the controller in place.
20231009_201415.jpg

20231009_201616.jpg
20231009_201624.jpg
20231009_201631.jpg
20231009_201642.jpg

Before unplugging the controller, take a picture so you know which cable/connector connects where.
20231009_203003.jpg

You'll then need a T20, which will allow you to undo the remaining bolts which keep the motors two sides together.
20231009_200444.jpg
20231009_200448.jpg
20231009_200457.jpg
20231009_200513.jpg
20231009_200544.jpg
20231009_200444.jpg

All the T10 bolts and the T20 bolts are the same length. So don't worry if you put them all together. However, be sure to use the T20 bolts for the motor housing and the T10 bolts for the controller.
20231009_203615.jpg

Once all the T20 bolts have been removed, you'll need to pry the two half's away from each other.
DO NOT SIMPLY PRY SOMETHING LIKE A KNIFE OR TYRE LEAVER. Instead, gently tap the motor housing with a mallet and block of wood. You'll eventually see that the motor's two halves will start to come apart. Be sure not to damage the seal gasket, as you'll need to replace it if you do.
20231009_203623.jpg
20231009_203626.jpg

As you split the motor housing apart, you'll notice tabs which allow the motor casing to remain in line perpendicular to each side. So gently remove the drive side panel and you'll eventually be able to get to the guts of the motor.
20220922_182646.jpg

Let me know if you want me to walk you through anything specific👍🏿

Pav09990

May 16, 2021
Poland

In accordance with the moderators request, this thread is strictly about the servicing & repairs of the Bafang M600 motor. And should not be mistaken for either the M500 and M510. Certain components for the M600 are specific to this motor including but not limited too, View attachment 99016
Main reduction gear
View attachment 99017
and the controller. View attachment 99018
View attachment 99019
View attachment 99020

Hi Neeko do you have number for the bigger nidle bering please ?

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
Hey Neeko

I got a weird problem with my m600. I changed out my throttle to a twist throttle from the simpler rotating thumb throttle.

When I applied power to the twist throttle it fried the controller board.

I used a twist throttle with a correct bafang plug and just assumed it would be compatible.

Do you know of any reason why a different bafang plug throttle might fry a m600 controller board?

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Hey Neeko

I got a weird problem with my m600. I changed out my throttle to a twist throttle from the simpler rotating thumb throttle.

When I applied power to the twist throttle it fried the controller board.

I used a twist throttle with a correct bafang plug and just assumed it would be compatible.

Do you know of any reason why a different bafang plug throttle might fry a m600 controller board?
Bizarre!!!
I know that some Throttles don't have dead spot zones around the ring. Which allows them to initiate movement quicker than others. But the controller ultimately governs how much power can be applied.

It's possible that the controller was on the verge of failing regardless of the throttle swap. But I'll share your experiences to my community groups, to see whether others have encountered a similar problem👍🏿

vext

Aug 11, 2022
Los Angeles
Bizarre!!!
I know that some Throttles don't have dead spot zones around the ring. Which allows them to initiate movement quicker than others. But the controller ultimately governs how much power can be applied.

It's possible that the controller was on the verge of failing regardless of the throttle swap. But I'll share your experiences to my community groups, to see whether others have encountered a similar problem👍🏿
Thanks!

So I too thought it was just a nearly-bad controller but it fried another brand new one that I replaced. I got a third board 😤 and went back to the old throttle and it worked. SMH.

Now it COULD have been a firmware/throttle combination... as I was trying different firmwares or it could be a single bad (or incompatible?) twist throttle.

I guess it would be good to know what circumstances might cause this kind of throttle-related board failure. I'd like to use a twist throttle but I can't keep frying boards!!!!

(Alternatively, maybe you can point me to someone who can fix ((or teach me how to fix)) the two broken boards?)

Thanks again man.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles