Kenevo Gen1 Official 2018/2019 Kenevo thread

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Got the Kenevo Friday and sold the Levo Saturday (2017). Dude texted within the hour after I let him demo it. I'll take it! I let him have the 29 wheelset I build and the 27.5s it came with. Said he wasn't going to run it but 29, appreciated the extras.
Anyway... on the Kenevo -WU post > first thing to go.
I wanted to like it but after the first ride it just didn't have enough drop. I'm 6'3" and the Large works great but man, that post. Even extended there was just something weird about it. I have a 170mm 34.9 I used to run on my Wreckoning that is spot on. Currently also trying out a 29 on front with a Magic Mary, we shall see how that fares.

Ohh nice! How much room is left between the "fork-stabilizer" and the tyre? And then is there still enough room to add a mudguard? Do you have pics?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This was on the Spesh stand at Sea otter, I usually like a murdered out bike, but this is pretty special, looks like a throwback paint job similar to the stumpy Jason McRoy used to ride

7794817A-67B9-4AAC-9A1D-A70667DCA2B7.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This was on the Spesh stand at Sea otter, I usually like a murdered out bike, but this is pretty special, looks like a throwback paint job similar to the stumpy Jason McRoy used to ride

View attachment 12967
Bit in this vid on this bike and another custom kenevo that belongs to Marshall Mullen from 10.30 on

Sparkieboy29

Mar 14, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi all new to ebike scene and enjoying so far I've bought a second hand 2016 levo, just could not bring myself to part with cash for a new one!...
My bike does not come with the buttons to control the settings on the bike and I see there are a few threads on retro fitting the switch, I'm having trouble sourcing one so any help would be greatly appreciated or any other way of controlling the settings I've also downloaded belevo but not yet set it up to the bike can this be used instead?
Cheers

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Hi all new to ebike scene and enjoying so far I've bought a second hand 2016 levo, just could not bring myself to part with cash for a new one!...
My bike does not come with the buttons to control the settings on the bike and I see there are a few threads on retro fitting the switch, I'm having trouble sourcing one so any help would be greatly appreciated or any other way of controlling the settings I've also downloaded belevo but not yet set it up to the bike can this be used instead?
Cheers

If you don't want to fit a remote on your handle bar, you can use the buttons on the battery indicator where you switch it on/off.
Blevo and Spezialized MissionControl both can change the settings, but while riding a trail i wouldn't recommend tapping buttons on your phone to change motor support. The apps are a nice & very useful addon but for riding i would totally recommend the small remote next to your grip.

Sparkieboy29

Mar 14, 2019
United Kingdom
Cheers

If you don't want to fit a remote on your handle bar, you can use the buttons on the battery indicator where you switch it on/off.
Blevo and Spezialized MissionControl both can change the settings, but while riding a trail i wouldn't recommend tapping buttons on your phone to change motor support. The apps are a nice & very useful addon but for riding i would totally recommend the small remote next to your grip.
So my next question any idea where I can purchase the toggle up/down switch from?
Cheers

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
Just bought a 2019 Kenevo.. awesome bike however it's already developed a creak from the BB area but more randomly, the motor behaves in a way where it feels like I'm intermittently dabbing on the brakes. Feels like the motor is struggling to decouple after the limiter. Anyone else had this? Cheers.

IMG_20190415_172929.jpg

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Just bought a 2019 Kenevo.. awesome bike however it's already developed a creak from the BB area but more randomly, the motor behaves in a way where it feels like I'm intermittently dabbing on the brakes. Feels like the motor is struggling to decouple after the limiter. Anyone else had this? Cheers.

View attachment 13018

Grats to the Kenevo, it's an amazing bike! :)

The creak is a known "problem" here in the forums and most probably just caused by the motor cover. Check this thread.

Sounds like you don't have the most actual software on your battery & motor. Check this thread for the correct most actual version numbers cause they do differ based on what mission control version you use to check them.

Never heard of the decoupling struggle before (the brose motor is decoupling better than all the others). Maybe it just feels like that to you cause you have to pedal a much heavier bike with probably more rolling resistance above a speed of 25km/h all by yourself when the assistance stops helping. Have you compared yours to another Kenevo/Levo (with same tyres).

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
Morning! Yes, I was out with my mate last night who has a Levo with the same Butcher tyres. It was nowhere near as bad. It was actually worse than the drag suffered with my old Bosch motor. Bit disappointed as the bike rides and looks the nuts.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Morning! Yes, I was out with my mate last night who has a Levo with the same Butcher tyres. It was nowhere near as bad. It was actually worse than the drag suffered with my old Bosch motor. Bit disappointed as the bike rides and looks the nuts.

Okay, then there has to be something wrong and you should bring it back to the lbs where they can compare it themselves if they don't believe you.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel

View attachment 13018
Try removing the limit! And see if it solves the problem.... Then you'll know.?
Install BLevo! And try it... Believe me!.. you'll never want to go back...
It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!
Tim

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
Try removing the limit! And see if it solves the problem.... Then you'll know.?
Install BLevo! And try it... Believe me!.. you'll never want to go back...
It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!
Tim

Cheers for the input. Would upping the speed limit give me the same problem, just at a higher speed?

c11dek

Apr 18, 2019
Falkirk
Try removing the limit!

What's the story with removing the speed limiter? just picked up my 2019 kenevo and need to do this if it's poss?

Sparkieboy29

Mar 14, 2019
United Kingdom
So my next question any idea where I can purchase the toggle up/down switch from?
Cheers

Specialized says (in it's german service-desk-forum) that retrofitting a 2018 remote is not possible on a 2016 Levo cause the holes for the cables are missing. They recommend using the "Specialized Wireless Levo Handlebar Remote Control".

That said, this video shows how to retrofit a remote to a 2016 Levo.
It seems some people drill a hole in the frame or just clip the cable on the underside of the bike and file a little out of the corner of the battery to create a wire way its just getting hold of a switch

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Try removing the limit!

What's the story with removing the speed limiter? just picked up my 2019 kenevo and need to do this if it's poss?

Yes it's possible, you can do it using the blevo app. It may void your warranty, up to you if you want to risk it.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Try removing the limit!

Yes, as Dax already replied, it's both possible and easy! By downloading the BLevo app from the app store, and Bam! You can set the limit to any speed you want! Plus you get tons of control over parameters and lots more info about your ride!
Yes it can void your warranty, just set your settings back to " normal" before taking it in for service.. easy.
Check out the BLevo forum page here on EMTB forums..for all the info.
Tim.

allank

Apr 18, 2019
denmark
Hi guys, new to this forum, but been following it for a while. I bought a Kenevo in january - and just love it :)

I am however wondering if any of you have a link to a bearing-chart ?

I cant find anything, and also need exploded view of the bike - how to disasemble everything etc. The manual that was enclosed is not what I am used to when working on motocross bikes :) . I found the spring-chart for the rear shock, and it transformed the bike completely when I got it for my weight of 100 kg

I have ridden 700 km on it now, and is on my 3 KMC-Echain ( changing when it gets to 0,5), expect to use these 3 chains to 0,75 and then change casette,front and chains again. but I actually thought I would get more out of it than possible 1200-1400 km ? Ride mostly in eco, but on lots of hills. Reason for looking for bearings allready, is that the rear-wheel bearings allready has a little movement.

If you guys have any good advise concerning special tools etc I need to have, pls let me know :)

best regards
Allan, Denmark

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
Just got my Kenevo after wanting something a bit more DH orientated over my Cube Stereo 160. The 2.8 Butchers felt a little vague so I've lobbed a set of Schwobble 2.6. Handling is greatly improved however I can hear the pedal strikes already!

IMG_20190418_192508.jpg

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I appear to have bought another Ebike! a new 2018 kenevo expert. Its sat in the shop for a while, new model coming out etc etc so after a little horse trading I collect it on Tuesday. It will be interesting to compare it to my Merida 160
Welcome to the Kenovo owners amazing world and enjoy

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Hi guys, new to this forum, but been following it for a while. I bought a Kenevo in january - and just love it :)

I have ridden 700 km on it now, and is on my 3 KMC-Echain ( changing when it gets to 0,5), expect to use these 3 chains to 0,75 and then change casette,front and chains again. but I actually thought I would get more out of it than possible 1200-1400 km ? Ride mostly in eco, but on lots of hills. Reason for looking for bearings allready, is that the rear-wheel bearings allready has a little movement.
best regards
Allan, Denmark
Same chain problems here. But our active LBS has found that this chain will last best SRAM PC X11. I run two of this, changing every 200 km or so.
But next time I'll change to Shimano cassette and chains.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I appear to have bought another Ebike! a new 2018 kenevo expert. Its sat in the shop for a while, new model coming out etc etc so after a little horse trading I collect it on Tuesday. It will be interesting to compare it to my Merida 160
Lucky you!!???
Enjoy! And let us know what you think..
Tim

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
Just got my Kenevo after wanting something a bit more DH orientated over my Cube Stereo 160. The 2.8 Butchers felt a little vague so I've lobbed a set of Schwobble 2.6. Handling is greatly improved however I can hear the pedal strikes already!

View attachment 13063
I suffer badly from pedal strikes with the Kenevo. I love the bike! But the pedal strikes drive me crazzy! Despite adjusting my technique.. been thrown off a couple of times..
I see no solution but to change to shorter cranks.. like the Miranda 152 or 160mm
Tim

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018

I am however wondering if any of you have a link to a bearing-chart ?

I cant find anything, and also need exploded view of the bike - how to disasemble everything etc. The manual that was enclosed is not what I am used to when working on motocross bikes :) . I found the spring-chart for the rear shock, and it transformed the bike completely when I got it for my weight of 100 kg

If you guys have any good advise concerning special tools etc I need to have, pls let me know :)

best regards
Allan, Denmark

Welcome to the family :)

No info on the bearings, but there are kenevo bearing kits to buy, maybe you can find some article numbers or infos in the shops.

3 Chains in 700km? I passed my 700km with the lovely Kenevo this month and i'm still on my first stock-chain which is not yet on 0,75 (but close to). Are you aggressively changing gears with power on the pedals?

Trumpet

Mar 2, 2019
Stamford lincs
I suffer badly from pedal strikes with the Kenevo. I love the bike! But the pedal strikes drive me crazzy! Despite adjusting my technique.. been thrown off a couple of times..
I see no solution but to change to shorter cranks.. like the Miranda 152 or 160mm
Tim

How is your rear shock set? I run mind in the middle setting, small amount of sag, and don't suffer with strikes at all mate.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
How is your rear shock set? I run mind in the middle setting, small amount of sag, and don't suffer with strikes at all mate.

I run the standard 30 percent sag, and climb in the middle setting ( that is usually where I get my pedal strikes, tight turny climbs) and fully open on downhill's.
The stock cranks mine came with are not even 170mm like I thought, but 165 mm.
Still I have to be verry carefull on my pedaling up rocks and on turns, not to get pedal strikes, my pedal timing has to be perfect! So many times I will speed up before an obstacle and stop pedaling just before and glide over it, loosing momentum just to not risk striking the pedals..
Of course this only works with small or short obstacles.. long Rocky climbs.. you have to pedal!
Or you stall...
Tim

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
Considering a Kenevo Comp fattie. The only concern I have is that even on MY 2019 bikes the engine is speced as 1.2E and battery at 460wh. I realise this bike is also much less money than a 2019 Levo.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Lucky you!!???
Enjoy! And let us know what you think..
Tim

I'm only 60k in but really enjoying it so far, quite different from the Merida

Newbie question that I can't find in the manual. I've adjusted the saddle moving it up and slightly back but can't see how to level it. I can pop back into the shop but figured I'd ask here first. Sorry if its dead easy and I'm missing the obvious but I've not used this type of dropper before

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles