Ahhhhhhh the creaking is driving me mad

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Any help greatly appreciated. I have a 2018 carbon expert that this year has developed a creak when it gets dirty. As soon as I ride through any moisture or dirt the creaks starts and won’t stop until the bike has been washed. It creaks whenever a diary amount of pressure is applied to the left pedal. I removed the motor and greased every bolt in sight and re torqued them and nothing helps only washing. Anyone else had a similar issue or found a fix or clue as to what might creak like this?

Thanks in advance

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I’ve pressed on the crank arm eliminating the pedals and still creaks took all the screws out of the side covers and still there took shock off re torqued and still there. Took all motor bolts out and lubed and lock threaded torqued still there. Lifted the front end off the ground and it still creaks lol

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I’ve pressed on the crank arm eliminating the pedals and still creaks took all the screws out of the side covers and still there took shock off re torqued and still there. Took all motor bolts out and lubed and lock threaded torqued still there. Lifted the front end off the ground and it still creaks lol
I've had the same issue on my kenevo...? .. was sure it was about to fall apart! Every time I rode thrue some wet muddy much it would start making horrible creaks!
Finbaly realized it was from the chain!! Oil the chain..and it goes away! That's why cleaning it helps you! It cleans the grit off the chain.
That's my experience.
Tim

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I've had the same issue on my kenevo...? .. was sure it was about to fall apart! Every time I rode thrue some wet muddy much it would start making horrible creaks!
Finbaly realized it was from the chain!! Oil the chain..and it goes away! That's why cleaning it helps you! It cleans the grit off the chain.
That's my experience.
Tim

I had a look at the rear wheel found the xd driver had backed out, shop had just put a new cassette on for me, still creaks. I’ll try the chain lubing as it is a new chain and I did clean and lube it when I washed it, I’ll let you know. I’m using wet lube so would of hoped that it would stay lubed after a couple of puddles.

Thanks and fingers crossed, just thought not sure if it is the chain as it doesn’t change with motor assistance so probably rider side of the power train.

Last edited:

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
I had a look at the rear wheel found the xd driver had backed out, shop had just put a new cassette on for me, still creaks. I’ll try the chain lubing as it is a new chain and I did clean and lube it when I washed it, I’ll let you know. I’m using wet lube so would of hoped that it would stay lubed after a couple of puddles.

Thanks,
I've never, had this kind of chain noise on any other bike either! So it totally surprised me.
But - it's a first time for me riding a 1x12 chainset.. and first time on an Ebike ( after years of MTBing..) and the load on the chain on an Ebike is crazzyyyyy!
So...just saying.
Tim

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I had one driving me nuts. Turned out to be the derailleur hanger and derailleur. Squirted a little lube in there and problem solved.
Try lubing the thru axle too

Good luck!

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Sorry to hear - if the above ideas don't resolve the issue then advise the retailer to try this for you. On MY18 Carbon Levos the motor can contact the aluminum sub-frame after the main motor mount nuts are properly torqued. There is no need to replace any parts - an adhesive mastic rubber or mylar patch is all that is needed - applied to the point of contact, which locates the motor away from the sub-frame while the motor mount hardware is re-torqued, best in a cross-pattern.

1554880517967.png

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Checked and lubed chain and retorqued the motor bolts again nothing seems to be working yet. I have a question regarding greasing crank arms do you grease the splines or the threads or both? I’ve only lubed the splines on the crank nothing on the threads.

Thanks in advance

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Checked and lubed chain and retorqued the motor bolts again nothing seems to be working yet. I have a question regarding greasing crank arms do you grease the splines or the threads or both? I’ve only lubed the splines on the crank nothing on the threads.

Thanks in advance
Threads as well

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Actually just another thought - when I was chasing a squeak a little while ago the LBS told me that they have a crazy number if creaks that turn out to be the shifter cable housing where it meets the deraileur? Weird I know

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Check the chain guide - I had an almost identical problem on my Vitus, different bike but sounds very similar - turned out the chain guide had been knocked out of position and when applying pressure to the RH crank it was causing this noise, as the chain when under load was hitting/rubbing it

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Sorry to hear - if the above ideas don't resolve the issue then advise the retailer to try this for you. On MY18 Carbon Levos the motor can contact the aluminum sub-frame after the main motor mount nuts are properly torqued. There is no need to replace any parts - an adhesive mastic rubber or mylar patch is all that is needed - applied to the point of contact, which locates the motor away from the sub-frame while the motor mount hardware is re-torqued, best in a cross-pattern.

View attachment 12820

I can’t see any contact any other suggestions please?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Checked the chain guide not the issue I think I will have to provide a prize for the person that guesses correctly lol here’s a short video. Thanks for the help everyone.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Checked the chain guide not the issue I think I will have to provide a prize for the person that guesses correctly lol here’s a short video. Thanks for the help everyone.
Rear brake was held on for the video but noise is exactly the same when riding

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles