Power smashed through the roof

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
The crucial part being the ‘new’ 5.0.4 firmware is giving 20+ amps... glad to see Spesh reacting and resolving the issue of previous versions only being ~14-15 amps

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
777w

85220473-70FC-4965-86A2-93AB7158AD10.jpeg

kungdog

Feb 27, 2019
uk
What's the 'official' max power? I've twice seen 788 on mine, both times on quite flat, open trails.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
I’m 778 - or I was in my last ride.

Motor power Max: 778 W
- TRAIL: 644 W (09:17:26 - mi 0.79)
- TURBO: 778 W (09:29:50 - mi 6.07)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
What's the 'official' max power? I've twice seen 788 on mine, both times on quite flat, open trails.
The “Official” max power is only like 570 odd.
But the real max power on some bikes is 700+
This was my first ride after the update and only on 85% assistance, 100% peak power.
Be interested to see how much I can get out of it in the near future. I’ve gained 200+ watts after the update, and pretty happy with that. The bike also feels way more responsive, through the entire range. ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Just went out and maxed it out at 788w
It’s riding nicer than it ever has.
Now I just want 150mm out of the rear and 160mm our of the front and i’ll Be happy as.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK

The key here is that this particular version of 5.0.4 is giving 20+amps, (some) previous versions of 5.0.4 only gave ~14amps, a problem that Spesh have now rectified. Good LBS’s should have the new 5.0.4 (20amp) firmware and a simple update will allow you to realise the full power (this all applies to 2018 1.3 motors)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The key here is that this particular version of 5.0.4 is giving 20+amps, (some) previous versions of 5.0.4 only gave ~14amps, a problem that Spesh have now rectified. Good LBS’s should have the new 5.0.4 (20amp) firmware and a simple update will allow you to realise the full power (this all applies to 2018 1.3 motors)
Yeah true, as on the old 5.0.0 firmware I was getting only 571w and pulling 14.2 amps.
Now on the 5.0.4 firmware i’m getting 788w pulling 20.2 amps.
It appears to punch out 600w + for ages too.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
To help out here, here's a couple of pieces of relevant info from other threads: -

1) Latest FW for 1.2 motors is 5.4.0, for 1.3 motors is 5.0.4. We DID very recently find that when riders had their bikes updated at retailers, a tiny handful of them seemed to have an issue where the 1.3 motor returned an "update successful" result to the retailer whereas in fact the update had failed. Seems like this mainly happened with motor replacement scenarios. We're still working on the how, but the net result is that those motors defaulted to the Brose original FW - limited to a 15A max current instead of the 20A bespoke FW that Specialized use. To tell if your bike is affected, it will have a) felt dramatically under-powered after you had the update and b) you can check in the Mission Control App - Diagnose - Battery - Current (scroll to bottom), whilst riding if the current doesn't rise above 15A with a 1.3 motor (uphill may be easiest to test) in Turbo (100/100) you are affected. If it gets close to 20A you are not. The solution is to revisit your dealer and ask them to re-run the latest FW update on your motor, then re-test. (if they say that the motor FW is up to date, hence they cannot re-run it, explain that they need to go to the FW updater settings and select "Force Motor Update")

2) In terms of support, each e-Bike motor is slightly different. 100% on the slider means 4.1x rider power for 2019 Levo (2.1 motor), 3.8x for 2018 Levo (1.3 motor) and 3.2x for older Levo (1.2)

When you talk about motor power, bear in mind that two types of power regularly get confused when discussing e-bikes:

a) Electrical input power (battery power that the motor consumes)
b) Mechanical output power (motor power that is added to rider power at the crank)

Mission Control (+ all other apps using ANT data) measure the electrical input power to the motor (Battery Voltage x Current). This is what you see if you view the stats page whilst riding, 20 Amps x 36V is 720W maximum INPUT power, this sometimes may be higher when the battery is fully charged (closer to 40V).

Note this isn't the same as motor OUTPUT power - no motors are 100% efficient, hence peak power OUTPUT for Brose motors is approximately: - 1.2/520W, 1.3/550W, 2.1/560W. 2.1 is the most efficient so will deliver max motor output power using less electrical input power ;) as some of you are seeing. (This means less battery consumption for the same output power)

From Understanding Support vs Peak Power in Mission Control App v2.0 - EMTB Forums - more info here along with power vs cadence curves.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
To help out here, here's a couple of pieces of relevant info from other threads: -

1) Latest FW for 1.2 motors is 5.4.0, for 1.3 motors is 5.0.4. We DID very recently find that when riders had their bikes updated at retailers, a tiny handful of them seemed to have an issue where the 1.3 motor returned an "update successful" result to the retailer whereas in fact the update had failed. Seems like this mainly happened with motor replacement scenarios. We're still working on the how, but the net result is that those motors defaulted to the Brose original FW - limited to a 15A max current instead of the 20A bespoke FW that Specialized use. To tell if your bike is affected, it will have a) felt dramatically under-powered after you had the update and b) you can check in the Mission Control App - Diagnose - Battery - Current (scroll to bottom), whilst riding if the current doesn't rise above 15A with a 1.3 motor (uphill may be easiest to test) in Turbo (100/100) you are affected. If it gets close to 20A you are not. The solution is to revisit your dealer and ask them to re-run the latest FW update on your motor, then re-test.

2) In terms of support, each e-Bike motor is slightly different. 100% on the slider means 4.1x rider power for 2019 Levo (2.1 motor), 3.8x for 2018 Levo (1.3 motor) and 3.2x for older Levo (1.2)

When you talk about motor power, bear in mind that two types of power regularly get confused when discussing e-bikes:

b) Mechanical output power (motor power that is added to rider power at the crank)

Mission Control (+ all other apps using ANT data) measure the electrical input power to the motor (Battery Voltage x Current). This is what you see if you view the stats page whilst riding, 20 Amps x 36V is 720W maximum INPUT power, this sometimes may be higher when the battery is fully charged (closer to 40V).

Note this isn't the same as motor OUTPUT power - no motors are 100% efficient, hence peak power OUTPUT for Brose motors is approximately: - 1.2/520W, 1.3/550W, 2.1/560W. 2.1 is the most efficient so will deliver max motor output power using less electrical input power ;) as some of you are seeing. (This means less battery consumption for the same output power)

From Understanding Support vs Peak Power in Mission Control App v2.0 - EMTB Forums - more info here along with power vs cadence curves.

Thanks - very much appreciated and I’m glad it’s sorted. I suffered from the issue and am now benefiting from the fix, it’s nice to have my ‘old’ bike back ??

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest

1) Latest FW for 1.2 motors is 5.4.0, for 1.3 motors is 5.0.4. We DID very recently find that when riders had their bikes updated at retailers, a tiny handful of them seemed to have an issue where the 1.3 motor returned an "update successful" result to the retailer whereas in fact the update had failed. Seems like this mainly happened with motor replacement scenarios. We're still working on the how, but the net result is that those motors defaulted to the Brose original FW - limited to a 15A max current instead of the 20A bespoke FW that Specialized use. To tell if your bike is affected, it will have a) felt dramatically under-powered after you had the update and b) you can check in the Mission Control App - Diagnose - Battery - Current (scroll to bottom), whilst riding if the current doesn't rise above 15A with a 1.3 motor (uphill may be easiest to test) in Turbo (100/100) you are affected. If it gets close to 20A you are not. The solution is to revisit your dealer and ask them to re-run the latest FW update on your motor, then re-test.

Thanks very much! This helped me big times to understand the many different facts and assumptions out there :)

Jon Hill

Apr 7, 2019
Wiltshire, UK

1) Latest FW for 1.2 motors is 5.4.0, for 1.3 motors is 5.0.4. We DID very recently find that when riders had their bikes updated at retailers, a tiny handful of them seemed to have an issue where the 1.3 motor returned an "update successful" result to the retailer whereas in fact the update had failed. Seems like this mainly happened with motor replacement scenarios. We're still working on the how, but the net result is that those motors defaulted to the Brose original FW - limited to a 15A max current instead of the 20A bespoke FW that Specialized use. To tell if your bike is affected, it will have a) felt dramatically under-powered after you had the update and b) you can check in the Mission Control App - Diagnose - Battery - Current (scroll to bottom), whilst riding if the current doesn't rise above 15A with a 1.3 motor (uphill may be easiest to test) in Turbo (100/100) you are affected. If it gets close to 20A you are not. The solution is to revisit your dealer and ask them to re-run the latest FW update on your motor, then re-test. (if they say that the motor FW is up to date, hence they cannot re-run it, explain that they need to go to the FW updater settings and select "Force Motor Update")

Really good information, thanks.

What is the latest battery firmware (specifically for a 2018 Levo Turbo)?

When I use the old version of Mission Control it reports mine as 10.22.3
V2.0.8 of Mission Control reports A16.3

My friend’s identical 2018 bike is 2.17.1 (new ver of MC). We both have motor firmware 5.0.4 yet his bike feels noticeably stronger. If we use the same settings there’s no way I can keep up with him. His Eco at 20% feels like my Trail at 40%. Could the battery firmware be the reason?

I’ve booked mine in for an update, but I want to make sure I understand the versioning first, as it isn’t clear if I even have an older version.

Thanks in advance!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Really good information, thanks.

My friend’s identical 2018 bike is 2.17.1 (new ver of MC). We both have motor firmware 5.0.4 yet his bike feels noticeably stronger. If we use the same settings there’s no way I can keep up with him. His Eco at 20% feels like my Trail at 40%. Could the battery firmware be the reason?

I’ve booked mine in for an update, but I want to make sure I understand the versioning first, as it isn’t clear if I even have an older version.

Thanks in advance!
10.23 is the latest battery and 5.04 is the latest motor firmware.
You have the old battery firmware, and when updating will loose the ability to adjust the acceleration.Tell the truth, I don’t miss it at all. You’ll pick up much more benefits from the latest firmware imo.

Jon Hill

Apr 7, 2019
Wiltshire, UK
10.23 is the latest battery and 5.04 is the latest motor firmware.
You have the old battery firmware, and when updating will loose the ability to adjust the acceleration.Tell the truth, I don’t miss it at all. You’ll pick up much more benefits from the latest firmware imo.
Thanks, I was pretty sure that was the case. Any idea why v2 of MC displays the fw in a totally different format?

FWIW I don’t have the acceleration setting in my v1.x version of MC. I have read about it, but it must have been an even earlier version.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Thanks, I was pretty sure that was the case. Any idea why v2 of MC displays the fw in a totally different format?

FWIW I don’t have the acceleration setting in my v1.x version of MC. I have read about it, but it must have been an even earlier version.
At a guess Spesh threw a spanner in the works with the latest MC. Now basically no one knows what’s what ?‍♂️ Just a guess.

Last edited:

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018

Battery firmware X.22.3 in MC1.2 = X.16.3 in MC2.0 (replaced in August 2018)
Battery firmware X.23.1 in MC1.2 = X.17.1 in MC2.0 (Current version - required to enable infinite tune)

The reason for the difference between MC1.2 and 2.0 FW version numbers is that MC1.2 displays FW in decimal format and MC2.0 displays in hexidecimal. Completely understand that this is confusing - ultimately using MC2.0 (hexidecimal i.e X.17.1) is all that you need to trust.

@Jon Hill your bike will benefit from a battery update. However I strongly recommend that your retailer also forces a motor update. This will ensure that if your previous motor FW loaded incorrectly (read through this entire thread to understand the context) then this will be corrected.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles