Bafang M500/M600 Tuning & The BESST Tool

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
You need to follow the below manuals - it will help you to set up the BESST without the password.
You need to unplug the controller cable from display, connect it to besst and besst to display

Manuals:
Tnx

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Feel free to write if you will have troubles with set this up.
true with the password delivred by bafang i'm very limmited in functional use of BESSTtool. I have tried to follow the tuto
- install PYTON custom made => OK
- command prompt in admin => OK
- pip install simplejson =< OK
- edit (wordpad) “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts => Ok
- insert 127.0.0.1 test.api.besst.bafang-service.com => OK
But i can't register the modifcations, the file haven't right in write (window10) ? how i can do to open it in "administrator" who have the right to write ?
1650127841815.png

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
You can't edit it in that folder, but you can edit it elsewhere. Just move the file to your desktop, edit it and then move it back. This worked for me on Windows 10

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
You can't edit it in that folder, but you can edit it elsewhere. Just move the file to your desktop, edit it and then move it back. This worked for me on Windows 10
OK, i will try. I hate computer science. i purchase an object who i don't have any control.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Well done. thanks. i pass the step register file "hosts".
But i can't launch "Bafang.py ", where it is located ? i don't find it.

I notice also one thing, When i launch prompt in admin, i'm not located in the same repertory than in the tuto.
in tuto: C:\users\
me: C:\windows\system 32\

normal ?

mgx

Feb 18, 2021
Slovakia
Unzip attached loginbypass.zip into your working directory, f.e. C:\users. You should find loginbypass.py there.

Then run Windows from WIndows start menu with right mouse button click-> Windows Power SHell (admin)

In new opened window, navigate to your working directory using commands:

cd c:\
cd your_working directory f.e.
cd users
will show you
c:\users

there should you run your loginbypass.py with command loginbypass.py

or you can install TOTAL COMMANDER and have it with plain enter :).

if you have problems, let me know, i can make a short video for you.

Attachments

• loginbypass.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 243

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Unzip attached loginbypass.zip into your working directory, f.e. C:\users. You should find loginbypass.py there.

Then run Windows from WIndows start menu with right mouse button click-> Windows Power SHell (admin)

In new opened window, navigate to your working directory using commands:

cd c:\
cd your_working directory f.e.
cd users
will show you
c:\users

there should you run your loginbypass.py with command loginbypass.py

or you can install TOTAL COMMANDER and have it with plain enter :).

if you have problems, let me know, i can make a short video for you.

Thanks, clear, i will tried this afternoon. What is the discrepancy between oginbypass and total commander (i will not reduce protection of my computer ) ?

mgx

Feb 18, 2021
Slovakia
total commander is SHELL (like windows eplorer or norton commander). you definetly dont need to use it. its like Windows explorer (file commander). If you dont want it dont use it.

www.ghisler.com gives you idea about what is it. I am using it for >20 years, payed version, but shareware also works nice. your choice.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
I have a question regarding calibration. I saw some folks in youtube were calibrating the m600 after installing a different firmware. Today I have installed the 13a firmware but saw no such option. Could this be related to m500 or maybe to the besst version(1.2.18) I am using? Is Calibration really necessary after an update of firmware?

Generally I am a bit disappointed about the performance of the motor coming from Bosch previously. I was aware that the motor will be less , which I was OK with. The issue starts with offroad riding, when you have a sudden steep uphill the m500 just drops assist dramatically once your cadence starts to slow done meaning that a lot of steep inclines are now undoable which I could previously do with ease on Bosch. Does anybody have any idea on this? Should I perhaps consider m600 detuned to 15a?(I still need a range of 80+km )

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Theres no need to calibrate after firmware update.

I've never ridden an M500 or a Bosch motor but my M600 blazes up every hill I've so far thrown at it. Yes, you have to maintain cadence, but that's what gears are for - you'd have changed to a lower gear on an analog bike as you arrived at the incline, and an ebike is no different.

savas

Oct 16, 2018
sofia
I have a question regarding calibration. I saw some folks in youtube were calibrating the m600 after installing a different firmware. Today I have installed the 13a firmware but saw no such option. Could this be related to m500 or maybe to the besst version(1.2.18) I am using? Is Calibration really necessary after an update of firmware?

Generally I am a bit disappointed about the performance of the motor coming from Bosch previously. I was aware that the motor will be less , which I was OK with. The issue starts with offroad riding, when you have a sudden steep uphill the m500 just drops assist dramatically once your cadence starts to slow done meaning that a lot of steep inclines are now undoable which I could previously do with ease on Bosch. Does anybody have any idea on this? Should I perhaps consider m600 detuned to 15a?(I still need a range of 80+km )
Probably does not have a tuned firmware.With M600 i do not have a problem.How did gear it up front and back?

Puschtrale

Jan 19, 2021
Dobbiaco

With the 13A firmware your m500 should have more power then with the preinstalled firmware. Of course even with the 13A it is less powerfull then the Bosch motor but for me riding in the alps with steep uphills almost everything is rideable with the m500. Think you should try the new firmware. No need to recalibrate the motor.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Thanks for the advice! I have tried but still loses a lot of torque as soon as the cadence drops.

Another question - are you able to read the original dengfu battery using the BESSt tool?

I have a strong suspicion that my battery is faulty. It's been acting weird since day 1... Now it simply stopped working. I can power it on but as soon as apply pressure to the pedal the screen goes black and the whole system dies... Previously I was able to resolve this by taking it out and putting it back in, but now that stopped working. Before that it jumped from 70 to 0 a couple of times and needed about 10 minutes to recover. Also no read on Besst tool. I suspect this is a BMS issue, but I might be wrong... Any advice here?

mgx

Feb 18, 2021
Slovakia
Dengfu battery is not visible via BESST. Its probably because its not communicating via CANBUS its status, but this is only my theory.

Battery check is quite simple, you need to have some charging/discharging tool and check how its behave. ANother fix is to replacewith other battery. I generally recomend to check all connectors first and make sure, there is voltage in motor, this can be checked with motor cover down.

Have you cleaned bike with water?
If battery is under warranty, then ask for replacement. Now.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
I was riding in fairly dry conditions and I am sure that water ingress is not the issue. I also doubt the issue is in any of the connectors, but I will double check.

How to make a discharging device to check the battery?

How can you check if there's voltage in the motor?

How is your battery indicator working by the way? Does it show the remaining charge accurately or is the value jumping up and down?

mgx

Feb 18, 2021
Slovakia
Checking voltage is easy for any experienced electrical engineer. Simple way is to make Y-shaped "power cable" which you will plug between motor and battery with 2 anderson x60 connectors (one male, one female, 2x output to voltage meter.

Checking battery is different story. You need any battery tester/monitor, which work on 46-54v range. Usually RC-modelers have one. I have laboratory power source with such functionality.

TeoElFeo

Apr 13, 2022
Tallinn
Seems that the issue is within the battery itself - either a voltage disbalance or faulty BMS. I will have it checked by an expert soon, who will also be able to balance it out if need be.

In the meantime also considering to try m600 due to lack of performance from m500. I do use appropriate gears, but there are just some really steep punchy climbs it can't climb... So the question is such - how much kilometers of off-road riding can you squeeze out of the dengfu 840wh battery? Provided you ride it is economically as possible, no throttle, on a relatively technical terrain meaning you will be rarely exceeding 20-25kmh. Does the 15a firmware help to make it less hungry in pas1? I know it's difficult to calculate range, so I am just asking for an approximation...

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Never consider range as your method of working out how good your battery is. Weight on the saddle, terrain, amount of climb, speed and just how much you are wanting to put in that equation yourself, makes almost all of the “range “ appraisals I see here on these threads, as being almost meaningless.

The M600 is in comparison to other manufacturers pretty comparable, on a recent ride of some 50kms 1500m climb in 3hr 15min of moving time at a Welsh bike park where it’s all about winching yourself back to the top on both steep single track and some fire roads in level 3 - 5 of 9 levels, then putting the fear factor into your back pocket and launch yourself off the top, I used 640 Whs. The other 3 Bosch Gen 4 motored bikes I was with had 720Wh batteries, were all on level 1 or below, so pretty similar.

5 hrs of riding and a nice beer and pastie at the end, a great day had by all and never once did we mention range.

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
I greet all the participants, I need a little help to bypass the login to a besst program, I did like everything in the statement but that is why it still does not work, what could be the problem?

IMG_20220518_153325.jpg

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
I greet all the participants, I need a little help to bypass the login to a besst program, I did like everything in the statement but that is why it still does not work, what could be the problem?

View attachment 88322
You've almost certainly done it wrong. I do believe the entry required in the hosts file has changed with newer versions of BESST but this is documented here.

If I'm being really harsh, I'd suggest that people who struggle with bypassing the login should not be using the BESST app. There's a lot of potential for absolutely trashing your bike for, frankly, very little benefit if nothing goes wrong. So please, take your time and read everything really carefully and don't break your bike...they are really expensive.

Reactions: rtp

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
You've almost certainly done it wrong. I do believe the entry required in the hosts file has changed with newer versions of BESST but this is documented here.

If I'm being really harsh, I'd suggest that people who struggle with bypassing the login should not be using the BESST app. There's a lot of potential for absolutely trashing your bike for, frankly, very little benefit if nothing goes wrong. So please, take your time and read everything really carefully and don't break your bike...they are really expensive.

I used the latest patch presented in this thread, I am also using an older version 1.2.18, what am I doing wrong? Maybe I need to use the latest version of the program to work correctly? but I have heard that most works with version 1.2.18, and with it there is no problem

rtp

Nov 21, 2021
USA

View attachment 88322
Without digging into this (I haven't run this but am aware of the process and networking etc) - your background command line window seems to be resolving the bafang host externally instead of to your localhost... which is kind of the point of the 'bypass' to work..

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
Without digging into this (I haven't run this but am aware of the process and networking etc) - your background command line window seems to be resolving the bafang host externally instead of to your localhost... which is kind of the point of the 'bypass' to work..

What do you think I need to do to make it work properly? I'm a regular PC user but I don't understand much about programming.

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York

In other words, it looks like you probably haven't updated your hosts file correctly.
What do you think I need to do to make it work properly? I'm a regular PC user but I don't understand much about programming.
Triple check you've followed all the instructions, particularly those relating to the hosts file. I did write a really simple list, so check my post history to find it.

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
In other words, it looks like you probably haven't updated your hosts file correctly.

Triple check you've followed all the instructions, particularly those relating to the hosts file. I did write a really simple list, so check my post history to find it.

I took the last host file from your post above, but for some reason it doesn’t work for me either, maybe the problem is something else, I checked all the steps and redid it again, I don’t know what my mistake is, maybe I need to delete the old host file ( before change) since I left it

mgx

Feb 18, 2021
Slovakia
You are not following step by step plan, so concerns about your ability to flash are correct.

If on windows, enter into command line command cmd.exe, white window will open. there insert command

ping test.api.besst.bafang-service.com and share result

Or, i can fix it for you for 20 euro via paypall and one 10minutes remote session via teamviewer or zoom. I am charging 20 euro for bafang fw upgrade, so it will be the same. If yes, then private message, i will share my paypal details or SEPA bank account :).

bafang_hack.jpg

1652935700046.png

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
You are not following step by step plan, so concerns about your ability to flash are correct.

If on windows, enter into command line command cmd.exe, white window will open. there insert command

ping test.api.besst.bafang-service.com and share result

Or, i can fix it for you for 20 euro via paypall and one 10minutes remote session via teamviewer or zoom. I am charging 20 euro for bafang fw upgrade, so it will be the same. If yes, then private message, i will share my paypal details or SEPA bank account :).

View attachment 88392

View attachment 88393

I did as you said and this is what I got

IMG_20220519_180647.jpg

Djevgenii

May 18, 2022
Danish
More thanks to everyone for the help, I saw my mistake after my last post, I fixed everything and it worked😅, have a nice weekend everyone 😉

IMG_20220519_191027.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles