Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Moe Ped

Apr 19, 2020
Perth Australia
My LBS assured me that there will be no changes for the Pro for 2023 when I bought mine in November. Let's see, if there are some changes to the better, I will confront them and see what they would be willing to do for me.

But still, the S-Works just gets some new colors and what I saw so far the Expert got new colours, GX AXS and another dropper post. So if there will be changes to the Pro, I think they will be minimal.

according to a dealer here the pro now has x01 AXS but has gone up in price by $2,000 Aud, so may have other changes.

D

Deleted member 7401

Speci probably got a great deal on AXS stuff since nobody wants the current gen drivetrain and made some later than normal changes for Expert on up.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
according to a dealer here the pro now has x01 AXS but has gone up in price by $2,000 Aud, so may have other changes.
My LBS has a Pro on the floor labeled as a 2023, it’s the exact same bike as my 2022. It would make sense for them to put AXS on it though being the 23 expert has GX AXS.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
There might be something coming for the Pro, since today or yesterday, the outgoing S-Works and the Pro are for sale on European Specialized websites, the Pro is down from 12.500 to 10.000 Euros in all sizes - time to adress my LBS.
But no new Pro on the sites so far and they also removed the new S-Works, probably to boost sales of the old one.

On the other hand, old S-Works and actual Pro are not on sale on the US site, it is all very confusing at the moment. Spesh websites seem to be taken care of the local (regional) offices, so no consistency on the information flow at all.

Last edited:

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
True, one would think that a specialized brand like Specialized *lol* would have clear communications and public relations SOPs or at least some guidlines.

Last edited:

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
True, one would think that a specialized brand like Specialized *lol* would have clear communications and public relations SOPs or at least some guidlines.

Under the current circumstances there is little to no communication or guidelines to the LBS, even the ones owned by specialized.

Specialized seems to be a very top down run organization. Not uncommon in retail and certainly not during times of duress.

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
I expect a big company like Spesh to be top down, which makes their poor online communication strategy even harder to understand for me.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Never noticed this before ... no Clydesdales on the S-Works or Pro !

1676537655884.png

upperoso

Nov 5, 2022
USA
Never noticed this before ... no Clydesdales on the S-Works or Pro !

View attachment 106847
The wheels are poorly suited for a Clydesdale (I am one)! This applies to the full range of Turbo Levos.
Notes here per the Comp:

My rear wheel is being warrantied. Three months and two weeks old. Spun the ring gear (rotor, ratchet ring) inside the hub shell. A new hub is being provided. A credit to the shop is being made to disassemble the original wheel and build a new one on the new hub.

FWIW, I have a custom wheel now. DT Swiss Hybrid hub and rim. A lot of steel. Heavier. More and beefier spokes. The warranty is nice, but having to walk out from a ride is bad experience. One can use zip ties and fasten the cassette to some number of spokes. Highlights the challenges of being a Clydesdale and riding "enthusiastically" on technical terrain and steeps.

A good shop, IMHO, would provide an upgraded wheelset from the outset. It seems DT Swiss is on the hook for the wheelset and not Specialized (per my '22 Gen 3 Comp). The original rear wheel has pawls too. That's silly for a serious Clydesdale. Rarely works out. Again, the warranty is nice, but who really wants to push, pull and/or carry their bike for potentially miles and miles (or kms and kms)!?

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
The wheels are poorly suited for a Clydesdale (I am one)! This applies to the full range of Turbo Levos.
Notes here per the Comp:

My rear wheel is being warrantied. Three months and two weeks old. Spun the ring gear (rotor, ratchet ring) inside the hub shell. A new hub is being provided. A credit to the shop is being made to disassemble the original wheel and build a new one on the new hub.

FWIW, I have a custom wheel now. DT Swiss Hybrid hub and rim. A lot of steel. Heavier. More and beefier spokes. The warranty is nice, but having to walk out from a ride is bad experience. One can use zip ties and fasten the cassette to some number of spokes. Highlights the challenges of being a Clydesdale and riding "enthusiastically" on technical terrain and steeps.

A good shop, IMHO, would provide an upgraded wheelset from the outset. It seems DT Swiss is on the hook for the wheelset and not Specialized (per my '22 Gen 3 Comp). The original rear wheel has pawls too. That's silly for a serious Clydesdale. Rarely works out. Again, the warranty is nice, but who really wants to push, pull and/or carry their bike for potentially miles and miles (or kms and kms)!?
Stock wheels are not the best, especially the hubs. It gets better from the Pro version and above, the Carbon rims are matched with DT Swiss hubs which are quite good actually. I have zero complaints until now with the rims or hubs on my Pro. One of the many reasons I went for it were the weels.

But anyway, being heavy and shredding was always a problem, nothing lasts forever.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
But your coil shock will be heavier than an S works air shock.

Or have you taken all the parts off your s works frame and put them on a same sized alloy frame?

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
But your coil shock will be heavier than an S works air shock.

Or have you taken all the parts off your s works frame and put them on a same sized alloy frame?

1:1 comparison, Frame to Frame without Shock.

I was also a little shocked about the high weight difference because i heard from 700-800gr.
I had a Kenevo gen2 in the exact same parts configuration with the same weight as my Levo alloy now has :/

If the high weight of the Levo Alloy is also resulting in more robustness (same as Kenevo ?), and is not caused by beefier weldings/ cheaper production/ cheaper tubesets, then it's OK.

Best regards,

Chris

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
My S5 alloy frame is 3.3kg
Ok, that's 1,25Kg from your S5 Alloy to my S-Works Carbon S3.

Perhaps the S-Works is a lighter frame built than the other Carbon Comp/Expert Carbon frames ? Has anybody the weight of them or knows if there's a weight difference in the carbon-types ?

Best regards,

Chris

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William

Perhaps the S-Works is a lighter frame built than the other Carbon Comp/Expert Carbon frames ? Has anybody the weight of them or knows if there's a weight difference in the carbon-types ?

Best regards,

Chris
All the carbon levo models are the same. It’s not like on the enduro/stump jumper where the S-Works models get carbon linkages so they’re lighter.

tjl5709

Feb 20, 2023
Michigan
Well folks, after 50+ years of analog bikes, I'm going eMTBing. At 62, going uphill with my old stumpy pro was not cutting it. Reading the comments/reviews how the Levo was like a stumpy on steroids', I was intrigued. The current sale was just to hard to resist at least a look at the dealer, and after taking an alloy comp for a spin, I bit. I ordered an Expert.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay

Best regards,

Chris
You only notice the weight difference when hefting the bike in and out of the van or over the odd gate. 😂

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Going back in time a bit now, but these @73Steff threads of stripped bikes were cool, second one has a video of Levo (gen2) and Levo SL :

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
yeah, that SL looks fantastic. I hope my Levo will turn out like that.
I really like the decals he put on his frame, very subtle. My frame size is S5, so I'm going with black decals, I think the larger frame needs decals that are more visible.

Overkillit

Aug 23, 2022
Downingtown
Well folks, after 50+ years of analog bikes, I'm going eMTBing. At 62, going uphill with my old stumpy pro was not cutting it. Reading the comments/reviews how the Levo was like a stumpy on steroids', I was intrigued. The current sale was just to hard to resist at least a look at the dealer, and after taking an alloy comp for a spin, I bit. I ordered an Expert.
Congrats on the new bike - you are going to love the freedom of going from a custom setting that resembles your current bike (Eco on low) to going full power in a split second (two taps) when you want. Sometimes you just need a boost to get up that long hill that you've climbed many times that has just gotten old. I've had my Levo just over a year now and it still brings huge smiles to my face. I'm 55 and no longer need to take breaks to wait for my heartbeat to slow back down. I have my bike setup so I can keep a fairly persistent 140 rate and can go go go. It's a game-changer.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles