Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Some geometry number comparing gen 2 Levo and gen 3 Levo. Set up in the steep position using the headset adjuster.

So it doesn’t need to be a slack / aggro trail bike if you don’t want it to be. Reach number in comparison to the nearest equivalent in sizing between the years.

2F3D99DD-C6CC-4CFD-936E-0F4E5DAEB3C1.jpeg

Ray_c_au

Mar 30, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Some geometry number comparing gen 2 Levo and gen 3 Levo. Set up in the steep position using the headset adjuster.

So it doesn’t need to be a slack / aggro trail bike if you don’t want it to be. Reach number in comparison to the nearest equivalent in sizing between the years.

View attachment 57205
Great chart Rob, can anyone comment how they went from a 2019 Large stumpjumper to a 2022 Levo ... what size did you end up with? The jump in reach of 32mm is a little hard to fathom even with the understanding of steeper seat angles etc..
‘The guideline suggests a S4 is the right size at 5’11” / 180cm but the reach just seems ‘a stretch’.... do I trust the chart?

I can’t try before I order (none in the country till maybe June onwards for the Sworks or pro models but after an expert) and need to place an order soon or risk not getting stock till much later in the year....

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
Great chart Rob, can anyone comment how they went from a 2019 Large stumpjumper to a 2022 Levo ... what size did you end up with? The jump in reach of 32mm is a little hard to fathom even with the understanding of steeper seat angles etc..
‘The guideline suggests a S4 is the right size at 5’11” / 180cm but the reach just seems ‘a stretch’.... do I trust the chart?

The good old ETT should be posted in geometry tables, so people would understand sizing a bit better. I went from XL Gen1 Levo to S5 2020 Kenevo. Reach increased 60mm. ETT increased 18mm, but I have a 18mm shorter stem on the Kenevo. So pedaling position is quite close to the old Levo. But Kenevo is all around better, and it's simply the best climbing bike ever and it corners really good because it's so well balanced.

Rostle32

Sep 26, 2018
Uk
This is a slide from a Specialized presentation explains supply issues and lead times on parts they are currently experiencing, from a pink bike article

View attachment 56809
WTF!! surely this creates an endless warranty scenario?? If parts are simply not available,
Does this mean that if your waiting for a warranty part that has, say a 300 day+ lead time, warranty surely has to be extended accordingly ?
Or is it! F@@@ @@F we carnt extend warranty as its not of our making ????

Frirish

Aug 19, 2020
Carlow, Ireland
WTF!! surely this creates an endless warranty scenario?? If parts are simply not available,
Does this mean that if your waiting for a warranty part that has, say a 300 day+ lead time, warranty surely has to be extended accordingly ?
Or is it! F@@@ @@F we carnt extend warranty as its not of our making ????
Well, i broke my shock at the weekend, went to the lbs today, they said it will be least a month before they can get a replacement ...

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Didn't the S-Works Levo weigh 2kg less a couple of years ago? Admittedly with the smaller 504Wh battery.
I currently have 2019, 2020, and 2022 sworks turbo levo. I weighted them the 2019 44.7 pounds, 2020 45.9 pounds, 2022 46.6 pounds. The bike have the same battery but have different tires.

neiloxford

Jul 8, 2020
UK
One of the recent reviews suggest the new levo is a bit twitchy ? Any thoughts on this from people who have ridden it ?

Also, I am not sure I like the ability to adjust the geometry. 2 potential issues.

1. Sounded good when I first heard it, but I wonder whether the reality is that I would find myself cycling along wondering if a different setting would be better. I find this a bit with suspension pressure and tyre pressure as it is without adding a 3rd dynamic. I want to ride my bike with somebody else having figured things like this for me. I am not a pro level rider that can feel subtle changes.

2. One could argue it future proofs the bike, but I am not convinced that the extreme settings would not benefit from other changes to seat tube angle or wheelbase length or some other adjusment to frame proportions. I can't think all 6 geometry settings are good settings. There must be compromises being made.

Hoping somebody points out why I am wrong with my 2 potential issues.

Last edited:

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
One of the recent reviews suggest the new levo is a bit twitchy ? Any thoughts on this from people who have ridden it ?

Also, I am not sure I like the ability to adjust the geometry. 2 potential issues.

1. Sounded good when I first heard it, but I wonder whether the reality is that I would find myself cycling along wondering if a different setting would be better. I find this a bit with suspension pressure and tyre pressure as it is without adding a 3rd dynamic. I want to ride my bike with somebody else having figured things like this for me. I am not a pro level rider that can feel subtle changes.

2. One could argue it future proofs the bike, but I am not convinced that the extreme settings would not benefit from other changes to seat tube angle or wheelbase length or some other adjusment to frame proportions. I can't think all 6 geometry settings are good settings. There must be compromises being made.

The stock setup is great going down, even better turning, however not has good climbing and the front end wants to come up on steep stuff. Still messing around with suspension and tire pressures. I did swap out the stock seat for the 2021 model in 155mm.

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
First thing I did was change the seat. As for geo settings I knew what settings I wanted before I collected the bike. After about 70 miles this week all I can say is this bike is amazing to ride it so fast and agile. I did over 10k miles on my last 2 SWorks levos this new one is a big step up , I doesn’t ride like a 22kg bike it’s so agile. The only point I am going to adjust for today’s ride is the high speed rebound on the front. They knocked it out the park with this one.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The stock setup is great going down, even better turning, however not has good climbing and the front end wants to come up on steep stuff. Still messing around with suspension and tire pressures. I did swap out the stock seat for the 2021 model in 155mm.
Strangely I find it a better climber than most of my test bikes I’ve had.

I can clear a steep loose section on my test loop where the only other bike I’ve successfully completed it on is the Flyon with the TQ 120 motor on extreme. Can’t even do it on my Trek Rail.

I think a lot is down to the low down torque of the Brose motor. It still churns out power (lots of it) at real low rpm on those steep climbs where you’re almost about to stall.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Strangely I find it a better climber than most of my test bikes I’ve had.
I think in the other threads and probably some of the cleaned posts, several people remarked that 99% of the people who bought this bike wouldn't be able to use it anywhere near it's capabilities.

If you flip that on it's head, does this mean that when the mainstream bikes arrive, or even the Expert, that 99% of people could end up with the near perfect bike in terms of it's and their capabilities ?

I know it's counter intuitive (bonkers...) have you considered temporarily down grading the shock and forks for a test ride to get an idea of how a more basic version might ride ? Though if it was me I'd say "Bugger that, I'm having too much fun riding this thing" ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Only thing I can think is that the Fox suspension may take a bit longer to dial in. This thing is absolutely planted ?
I've watched your two video's at the start of the thread a few times now and they look a bit like a promo video for what you'd want your ideal suspension to do ! Any setup tips ? I saw @Citylad77 had posted up Marshall Mullens recomended settings.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Here’s the full Expert specs. Coming this summer. Suspension is going to feel pretty identical, it’s the Performance elite stuff which is basically the same internals just without the Kashima coating.

2022 Gen 3 Specialized Turbo Levo Expert:

C5600E7A-DAD5-416A-AE4C-6D0BEE8DAF37.png

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France

You're not allowed to say that ;) :ROFLMAO:

It was in my joke things that people would complain about in the I can't afford a gen3 levo thread. ... :)

In theory you should be able to tell your bike shop what kind of rider you are and what kind of trails you ride. Obviously it's not 100% accurate translating how someone see's themselves into real life, but they should be able to set the bike up fairly well for you. Most people will probably just leave it in it's default settings. But for others, it will be nice to have the ability to change the geometry to fit with their style/type of riding.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I've watched your two video's at the start of the thread a few times now and they look a bit like a promo video for what you'd want your ideal suspension to do ! Any setup tips ?
Initially I just set sag, set rebound in the middle setting, LSC / HSC totally open and then tweak trailside from there. Doesn’t really help that much, I don’t even know what exact click settings they’re on to be honest but it feels good.

I do run the fork a little bit less in PSI than the recommended setting (maybe 5 under) as it’s not as soft on the initial travel as say the Zeb but that’s still in proper sag range and doesn’t fully bottom out.

The shock I added a bit more rebound damping to slow it down.

I think that sharing exact settings doesn’t really help that much as it’s so unique to rider and terrain - the best thing is to read that suspension thread that @Gary posted (I’ll link it here) then go out for a ride to test and work on one thing at a time (fork or shock) until satisfied ?

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
Have to agree with above we all like different things, I like the back end planted but the front a bit twitchy. I found that MMs settings for the rear shock about perfect, I knew how I wanted to frame set up like my last bikes . The biggest point for me is just how agile and comfortable this bike is. Think the front needs a bit less Psi and same on high speed rebound, then should be around perfect.

giumik

Mar 22, 2021
Italy
Strangely enough, both the Pro model and the Expert model have the same gear components, but chainrings with different tooth numbers. I would rule out that the engines have different specifications. :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles