Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Austin Thomas

Mar 17, 2021
UK
Collection Day... and its first charge...

A8C5AA72-84AF-42F6-A343-76F7B3E027DF.jpeg
DC14BCF8-0C90-4D55-817D-CDCB7F94F057.jpeg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
How? What am I missing? They've finally caught up in the geometry stakes, and it's about time.
Spesh have always lead the way with integration, so that's not new.
Mullet/MX. Bin dun.
Flip Chip. Bin Dun.

Apart from the marketing budget, what makes this bike so special?

Here’s my take:
  • 22KG - class leading weight despite Fox 38 / X2 shock
  • 700Wh battery - 10% more than Bosch / Shimano etc
  • Cleanest integration on the market
  • Smoothest motor with 90Nm
  • Quietest motor both up and down
  • 64.5 head angle 442 chainstay
  • Progressive geometry
  • Very very good ride
  • Decent leverage curve and frame
  • Mullet
  • Adjustable Geometry, headset cup and Chainstay
  • Bright, legible and useful display, neatly integrated
  • 6 sizes with reach upto 532mm
  • Decent app with usable features
  • Over the air updates
  • Rapid development from app team - consistently being update
  • Good support network (shop dependent) and active support from @Specialized Rider Care on places like this forum
As far as I can see nothing out there that wraps up all that stuff into a single package.

yes there are bikes with similar geo. I really like my Trek Rail, but there is no app, the display is crap, the integration isn’t the best, the motor rattles on descents etc etc.

Specialized are going for the total package. And the price reflects that.

Negatives - the price. Is it worth all the cash? That’s for the buyer to decide.

8143782D-8A7B-4A8F-97D4-3738FB19C392.jpeg

Stayrudee

Feb 12, 2020
Poland
I guess after all that comments it is clear that many of the gen2 owners are not going to upgrade as the change is not really that big. Not like gen2 was. People were buying Spesh as it was really revolutionary and the extra price tag was worth it. New gen brings nothing new to motor, batt, weight, power etc. It is not bad, just not so much better than competition. I've owned 7 Spesh bikes, was upgrading every new gen but this time I'll skip. My Kenevo rides great and in some way I feel happy that it is not going to be outdated any time soon. But let's go back to gen3. I am really interested in the batt motor housing durability. I crashed that parts several times, is it any better now?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Carbon frame is all the rage and I understand the appeal, however, is the new Levo also coming in alu-alloy?

For an ordinary rider — rather than a sponsored competitor — isn’t it wiser and safer to get an alu-alloy frame?

Carbon is very cool, but if you abuse it might fracture and you will not know it, until one day it snaps into a dozen of sharp blades.

Pro/sponsored riders fall less and need every ounce to win. The better riders get a new frame every season. So, they might never see the carbon failure.

However, many of us enthusiasts that fall now and then and keep bikes for few seasons, are more at risk of fracturing the carbon frame and the fractures are very hard to see on a carbon finish. And if you buy it painted glossy pink, you can’t enjoy the carbon texture anyway.

Does anybody know how to set a poll?
Would be good to see what you lust for vs what would you actually buy.

I for one, admire the carbon, but for my own use I will buy alu-alloy bike frame.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Carbon frame is all the rage and I understand the appeal, however, is the new Levo also coming in alu-alloy?
I was wondering the same. They've invested a lot in all new new frame sizes in carbon. Is this because the whole range will be carbon, or do they just know from previous sales/enquiries that they can re-coup the mould investments on the carbon only models enough to expand the sizes offered.

If you did everything in carbon, your unit cost comes down and you don't have to invest in making the Aluminium frames and different stock/inventory/production lines.

We seem to have seen quite a few bikes in carbon only options lately.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I did the same with the OHLINS 210x 55 gives about 157 ish rear travel I believe
With an air shock maybe 4-5mm but a coil doesn’t compress all the way like an air shock does, so you’re not going to see a huge gain in travel by over stroking with a coil.
The TTX is just a good shock and the reliability has improved. The Cane Creek DB Kitsuma is a better shock that uses the same Öhlins tech and is much easier to tune.
If you want 158mm with the stock shock length the cascade components linkage is just the ticket, but don’t use it with an overstroked air shock on a S-Works

Doing either of these things will void the warranty
1D9BC31F-9A6C-4077-9AAB-FD73C82A1AC7.jpeg

52DCFCBE-80FB-432F-A2EE-37184F292563.jpeg

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
The Levo expert comes with SRAM code RS brakes, can't find these on their webpage, only the R and the RSC?
Anybody kwnows the difference between Code RS and Code R/RSC

Code RS brakes have the swing link, just not the pad contact dial. They are great brakes really and have all of the stopping power of Code RSC. Code R is slightly less powerful without the swing link.

I have the Code RS on my '21 Evo and they are just as good as RSCs I have on other bikes.

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA

That Expert spec looks quite good. Hopefully they do a full X01 drivetrain and not the usual shenanigans of X01 shifter and rear mech but GX cassette and chain. Not as big of a deal on emtb but the GX cassette is quite a lot heavier and that's unsprung weight.

I upgraded the GX cassette and chain on my '21 Evo Expert to X01 and would gladly pay the $100 more or so it would take to make it a full x01 drivetrain from the factory. I'd likely also upgrade the wheels on Expert but after that it wouldn't need much. Maybe a longer dropper. Cockpit is user preference.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
enjoy your gen 3s folks.

my gen 2 has 2 years + warranty so I'll stick with it.

one gen 3 feature I don't like is the screen. simplicity of display (which I turn to stealth mode) is one reason I bought the Levo over competitors at the time. less is more.

Billyc

Jun 21, 2020
Chichester
I think we can get one thing said, ITS A LOT OF MONEY!! There, I said it for everyone!

But the bike is sick.

Moderator Edit :

Bike relevant information.

Size Guide :

View attachment 56900

Specs :

View attachment 56901

Info :

BB Height Low , Chainstay 447, BB Height 342-348 (size dependant/headset cup dependant)
BB Height High , Chainstay 441, BB Height 349-354 (size dependant/headset cup dependant)

Max Seat post insertion S1-210, S2-220, S3-240, S4-255, S5-275, S6-295

Seat Tube 34.9mm shimmed to 30.9.

Rear shock Custom Float X2
Part number: 979-63-010
Short ID: D9MP
Description: 2021, FLOAT X2, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Specialized, Levo F1, 210, 55, CL002, JCR010, Rezi CM, SBC S08 Dream Silver Satin/SBC W03 Metallic White, Neutral Logo, N/M

Battery : M2 700wh battery with new Gen3 "bash guard" housing the aqua (© Zim) door - sold complete as the M3.

Mastermind TCU V1. Configuration and problem solving :

More info from @knut7 Youtube : EMTB Videos & Gen3 Review :

View attachment 56899

Frameset Only : £6500. The frame comes with:
  • 2.2 Brose Motor​
  • 700wh Battery​
  • Handlebar Controller​
  • Mastermind TCU​
  • Float X2 shock and​
  • CRANK SET, PRAXIX,​
  • 160MM CARBON ARMS ,​
  • BCD 104MM SPIDER,​
  • AND A SRAM CR EAGLE 34T CHAINRING​

Obviously, as with everything it’s subjective opinion but from your perspective having ridden both bikes would you buy this or the top spec Trek Rail 9? I have a 2020 Spec Turbo Levo Expert and just took delivery of a YT Decoy Elite. Thinking of selling the Spec and buying the new S-Works or the Trek, wondered what you would do in my shoes?

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
@Rob Rides EMTB,

Does the 2022 also have a better rear cover than the 2020 to keep crud out of the rear?

How much rear tire clearance?

I converted my 2020 Comp and 2021 SL to mullet+ (3.0 tires, both with 160 mm forks)...there is plenty of rear tire clearance.

So I’m wondering if a 27.5 x 2.8 can be squeezed in back of the 2022...

Thanks for the great review.

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
I’m also curious about this. The calculator works for psi but the rebound and compression section doesn’t work. @Specialized Rider Care is this going to get fixed?
Try these, all values set back from fully closed position.
High speed compression 6 clicks
Low speed 9
Low speed rebound 6
High speed rebound 4
Source, Marshall Mullen

Citylad77

Mar 13, 2021
Midlands
Around the 22 minute mark. The 2.2 motor is the same internals as the latest 2021 2.1 motor. Sounds like it is a branding exercise to say they have fixed all the issues of the 2.1 so now called it 2.2 as they are confident all issues are fixed.
Yes I noticed that. To be fair though I did over 3k miles in my 21 MY S Works and had zero motor problems, if anything it go smoother as the miles went on. So may be they did fix it with the latest Gen 2 bikes.

Sheer Thrill

Mar 28, 2021
USA
Greeting Everyone!

I have a quick question. It appears that the New Levo features a brand new Eliminator Tire which is nowhere to be found online. Just look, it's an Eliminator in Grid Trail casing with the new T7 compound which is not available anywhere yet. Is anyone aware or knows if these will be shortly announced? Thanks!

josg

Mar 27, 2021
Belgie
Ordered the expert, only thing I would like to change are the wheels, like to have carbon wheels.
What would be a good upgrade? Saw the weight difference between the roval traverse alloy and carbon is only 7O grams.

Last edited:

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Ordered the expert, only thing I would like to schange are the wheels, like to have carbon wheels.
What would be a good upgrade? Saw the weight difference between the roval traverse alloy and carbon is only 7O grams.

Very interesting point, @josg

I like the idea of carbon wheels, but I think these work much better on road bikes with tiny tyres.

Practically, I am continuously scouting for the largest, grippiest tyres, with hard foam inserts and tubes for good measure. Like on my motorcycles, I always liked a fat rear tyre.
As a result, my rear wheel is sort of a flywheel, and saving 70 gram is a joke.

However, if I was a Pro with minions changing my tubeless tyres for every race condition, I would go carbon!

sometimesjoe

Mar 17, 2021
SF Bay Area, Ca
That Expert spec looks quite good. Hopefully they do a full X01 drivetrain and not the usual shenanigans of X01 shifter and rear mech but GX cassette and chain. Not as big of a deal on emtb but the GX cassette is quite a lot heavier and that's unsprung weight.

I upgraded the GX cassette and chain on my '21 Evo Expert to X01 and would gladly pay the $100 more or so it would take to make it a full x01 drivetrain from the factory. I'd likely also upgrade the wheels on Expert but after that it wouldn't need much. Maybe a longer dropper. Cockpit is user preference.

I put in an order for the Expert and I'm with you. It's X01 for everything but chain and cassette. Sram XG-1275 cassette and GX chain is what is listed. Wheels I'll leave and beat up before replacing them with something else.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
That's one hell of a Visiframe installation ! Did you do that or sit back and drink Coffee whilst Chris from Berkshire cleaned you bike and did it for you ?
Well now I have a workshop I gotta be able to at least apply stickies to bikes ?

Wrap is stunning - was part of the alien concept by the producers of the launch movie - Sabretooth Pictures and artwork designed by Shredders Digest and produced by Ride Wrap for the Levo Gen 3 launch video.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have kits in S1-S5
Link to Rob's thread to claim your Alien Wrap.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles