Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
FWIW, it's good to see continuous development from Spesh and some of the other brands. For Spesh that's now 3 motor/battery/electronics/sw variants in 4 years I think? I like that level of investment, it shows me that the tech is developing quickly and moving towards what I want in my next bike (I'm a long termer, bikes owned for 5+ years). Probably is frustrating for those who upgrade yearly - I'd like to thank them for their contribution (y) Agree that the reliability issues are a concern, but I think Spesh have stepped up with that and acknowledged them.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I have searched high and low!! will the battery on the new bike fit the previous generation? so I can still use my bike for years to come.
Could of scrolled through 17 pages but I get bored real quick
I mention this in my video, which I had to re-upload due to an error. I haven't tested this, but my contact says you have to swap the plastic bits at the bottom of the battery to make a battery from the previous Levo work in the new one.

Starts at 06:25

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Explain to me why everyone is losing their minds about a $500 US price increase in the SWorks level bikes? I didn't see 500 comments on the price of the previous generation being $14,500 US., but maybe I just missed them. The SWorks has gone from $14.5K to $15K and you are getting a more expensive rear shock, improved TCU and updated motor.

For people saying you can get the same bike for less money from other companies, really? Show me another company that has spent as much on R&D as Specialized? Santa Cruz? Nope, bolted up a standard Shimano setup. Trek? Nope, off the shelf stuff. YT? That is a joke right? EVERY other bike company is just using the same motor/battery setups from the same two or three companies. There is a significant difference in power delivery and efficiency with the Brose/Spec setup vs Shimano and others. Just yesterday one of my friends got 8K of vertical from a single charge on the 700 wHr Specialized setup. The most we have seen from a 630 wHr Shimano setup is 4K.

For the people saying that the new Levo is similar to the previous gen, it is not. The new geometry makes the bike ride completely different. I have a Stumpjumper Evo and swapped my previous gen Levo for a Kenevo specifically because the bikes rode so differently. The new setup brings the Levo solidly to the front of the pack in geometry/flexibility and even the suspension kinematics are improved.

I get that the aluminum bikes are not available yet so early adopters are going to be paying big money. Current supply chain problems suck. I am sure that Specialized would love to have the full model range available today to take advantage of the hype cycle. Unfortunately parts are simply not available, but I have no doubt that the lower priced bikes are coming and they will be just as amazing when they are released. For now we should be excited that companies continue to push the envelope of performance and flexibility by releasing new stuff.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Any independent youtuber that already tested the bike vs gen2 and gen2 Kenevo? I always hear that this is game changer, revolution, totally new bike - but come on this is not a revolution. It's the same motor/batt/kinematics with a Kenevo like frame. If you own a gen2 Kenevo would it be really noticable when you switch? As for hardware why they make new TCU backward compatible and not willing to sell it separately?
There haven been any game changing bike in the full fat segment IMO for a few years now, we have seen improve aesthetics and integration, but in terms of how a bike rides nothing that moves the game on outside of the lightweight market, but the bikes are still fundamentally the same weight, and similar power out in the real world to ride around on.

The Orbea Rise is for me the most game changing bike that has been launched in the last few years, because it has enough power for someone to consider it over a full fat, but also weighs significantly less and and up to date geometry that you will really notice it being easier to ride than a full fat EMTB, and far more like a regular bike to throw around. I think its a glimpse into the way most EMTB's will be in a few years.

I think the Rise is a bike anyone would enjoy, whereas the Levo SL, whilst a great bike, isn't for everyone.

What the Gen 3 Levo represents is an exceptional execution of the current available technology, in a great package, but like pretty much all the current crop of bikes how it handles on the trail is still about the geometry, weight placement and components.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Back to some positives, at least they have finally made a bike that on paper is a trail ripper. For me the Levo has always been a great bike in terms of pushing the integration/aesthetic/tech etc, but never been on point geometry wise for me personally , I have been wanting them to make a Levo SL with Stumpy Evo geometry for years, so hopefully the changes here are indicative of what might be coming with the next SL.

I have always though a lot fo people have bought a Levo because its a Levo over it maybe being the best bike for them, you only have to look at the modification people do to them on here to see that, but this is a bike that ready to rip out the box.

This is the first Levo I have looked at and think yeah I fancy a bit of that, previously I have admired the concept of them but never though of it as being anything I would actually buy.

I think the burly trail bike spec is perfect for UK riding, and the new Levo nails that

HeatproofGenie

Jul 23, 2018
CO, USA
Explain to me why everyone is losing their minds about a $500 US price increase in the SWorks level bikes? I didn't see 500 comments on the price of the previous generation being $14,500 US., but maybe I just missed them. The SWorks has gone from $14.5K to $15K and you are getting a more expensive rear shock, improved TCU and updated motor.

For people saying you can get the same bike for less money from other companies, really? Show me another company that has spent as much on R&D as Specialized? Santa Cruz? Nope, bolted up a standard Shimano setup. Trek? Nope, off the shelf stuff. YT? That is a joke right? EVERY other bike company is just using the same motor/battery setups from the same two or three companies. There is a significant difference in power delivery and efficiency with the Brose/Spec setup vs Shimano and others. Just yesterday one of my friends got 8K of vertical from a single charge on the 700 wHr Specialized setup. The most we have seen from a 630 wHr Shimano setup is 4K.

For the people saying that the new Levo is similar to the previous gen, it is not. The new geometry makes the bike ride completely different. I have a Stumpjumper Evo and swapped my previous gen Levo for a Kenevo specifically because the bikes rode so differently. The new setup brings the Levo solidly to the front of the pack in geometry/flexibility and even the suspension kinematics are improved.

I get that the aluminum bikes are not available yet so early adopters are going to be paying big money. Current supply chain problems suck. I am sure that Specialized would love to have the full model range available today to take advantage of the hype cycle. Unfortunately parts are simply not available, but I have no doubt that the lower priced bikes are coming and they will be just as amazing when they are released. For now we should be excited that companies continue to push the envelope of performance and flexibility by releasing new stuff.

Good post. Also the data point on only getting 4k of climbing out of a 630wh Shimano setup and meanwhile someone else getting 8k vert out of a 700wh Specialized setup is why Specialized is king of emtbs. I like my Commencal but it just doesn't have the capacity or efficiency to satisfy how much I want to ride. Also as another '21 Stumpjumper Evo owner I would definitely fancy having a emtb version. Frame only at 6500 (no idea if that is US or UK price, I don't see the frame only price anywhere) might really be the way to go.

I don't have too much of a problem with companies wanting to use third party drive systems. From accounts of people and what I've read Bosch is close but still doesn't quite have the efficiency and sadly Shimano is nowhere close.

bushkila

Mar 10, 2020
Europe
Specialized Levo Expert Carbon 2022 Price: 9300 Euro
Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29'' 27.5'' E-Bike günstig kaufen Maroon.png

EMTF_Se29LEVE_96421-32-il.jpg

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Back to some positives, at least they have finally made a bike that on paper is a trail ripper. For me the Levo has always been a great bike in terms of pushing the integration/aesthetic/tech etc, but never been on point geometry wise for me personally , I have been wanting them to make a Levo SL with Stumpy Evo geometry for years, so hopefully the changes here are indicative of what might be coming with the next SL.

I have always though a lot fo people have bought a Levo because its a Levo over it maybe being the best bike for them, you only have to look at the modification people do to them on here to see that, but this is a bike that ready to rip out the box.

This is the first Levo I have looked at and think yeah I fancy a bit of that, previously I have admired the concept of them but never though of it as being anything I would actually buy.

I think the burly trail bike spec is perfect for UK riding, and the new Levo nails that

This is a fair point! I bought the levo as this was my first full sus mtb/emtb and I think it’s considered a ‘safe’ do it all ok option....

I was sold on the looks, integration and 700 battery as a solid all rounder.

now I’ve done a fair bit more riding I’ve been looking at bigger travel more enduro types bikes....

this new model with the adjustable set up, swings me back to the levo if I’m honest cos I love my bike already

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
What do you mean by 'tippy forward"? This bike is slacker, which should allow you to keep your weight back.
So, it’s best described in the MBR vid at 11:30.

Now, I know, I know, it’s MBR and the reasons for this ‘feeling’ are multiple and mitigation is partly in the rider’s gift. But, they describe what I found. It’s not a massive issue and for my 2020 Gen 2, I sized up to XL following a demo on the L which helped.
Also, the flexibility offered by the options in the Gen 3 new linkage (and its offsettable steerer) offer a way to moderate this.
So, I was just asking.
SoundS like the answer maybe they’ve solved this. After all it’s longer and the relationship between seat angle, reach and rear chain-stay suggest that’s likely.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
Anybody know what that is? cable exit port? I am asking because I was thinking of getting a lupine C14 rear light and have a hard time figuring out how I would go about wiring it on my "old" 2020

1111.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are a number of design cues which may inspire gen 2 Levo owners.....or at least those that run their bikes with all original kit, to copy some of Gen3 differences. I know the frame design is new so there is a limit.

I was amazed how much difference fitting a higher quality 160mm fork made to my Levo.......I also raised the front end with a riser bar and an additional stem spacer....that may be personal fit but it certainly helped centre me more on the bike.
So now they have gone mullet
used the smaller offset fork ...not changing my Lyric Ultimate to achieve that!!
used a better quality rear shock but more importantly moved to medium tune ( same as Whyte??) I have medium tune DPS.
Lower bb ...even lower if you want ( same as Whyte?)......going mullet would do that.
Shorter chainstays..............OK can't do much about that!
Better charger port design ( there are DIY solutions/done already!))
Newer multi function TCU which is apparently waterproof.....backward compatible?? Not interested anyway!!

So in summary.......I may try a mullet set up just to get more manoeuvrability. c£350 for wheel and tyre is doable.

For steep gnarly descents I will opt to use my Whyte e180 RS so the Levo would always be for more moderate trails.

Would I buy the Gen3? I like the newer geometry and all the reports I have seen suggest it makes the bike feel lighter and more playful. I am not interested in carbon on an MTB but could be interested in an ally Comp version assuming they release one...maybe, depending on the spec but I have 2 years motor warranty left on my 2019 Comp and so not any time soon.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
There are a number of design cues which may inspire gen 2 Levo owners.....or at least those that run their bikes with all original kit, to copy some of Gen3 differences. I know the frame design is new so there is a limit.

I was amazed how much difference fitting a higher quality 160mm fork made to my Levo.......I also raised the front end with a riser bar and an additional stem spacer....that may be personal fit but it certainly helped centre me more on the bike.
So now they have gone mullet
used the smaller offset fork ...not changing my Lyric Ultimate to achieve that!!
used a better quality rear shock but more importantly moved to medium tune ( same as Whyte??) I have medium tune DPS.
Lower bb ...even lower if you want ( same as Whyte?)......going mullet would do that.
Shorter chainstays..............OK can't do much about that!
Better charger port design ( there are DIY solutions/done already!))
Newer multi function TCU which is apparently waterproof.....backward compatible?? Not interested anyway!!

So in summary.......I may try a mullet set up just to get more manoeuvrability. c£350 for wheel and tyre is doable.

For steep gnarly descents I will opt to use my Whyte e180 RS so the Levo would always be for more moderate trails.

Would I buy the Gen3? I like the newer geometry and all the reports I have seen suggest it makes the bike feel lighter and more playful. I am not interested in carbon on an MTB but could be interested in an ally Comp version assuming they release one...maybe, depending on the spec but I have 2 years motor warranty left on my 2019 Comp and so not any time soon.

Other than shortening the chainstay I got close for a few squid less .
2019 base model ; Mullet with 27.5 34 mm ID rim so 2.6 tyres fit better . Shigura brakes with 203 disc , Bearing Man upgrade to 2020 motor , Ohlins suspension 160 coil fork , TTX coil shock , 12 speed with 36 Tth front chain ring , Ergon seat . Assegai F & R , Planet 3 .
If I want ride info I have BLEVO and a smart watch .

Total custom . And it`s sitting in my lounge room right now .

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Has new wider belt and waterproofing differences.
Chain stays aren’t actually that short. At 442mm they are 12mm shorter than the outgoing model and 5mm shorter than the 29er Rail. I would have expected them to be around 435 as a 27.5.

12 mm ? Doesn`t sound like much eh ?
But it can be significant . Difference between dif gen BOSCH motors and their relative chain stay lengths can def be perceived on the trail .
Newer Gen ; Front wheel bounced off features on climbs . Easier to wash out the front end if not getting your head fwd over the bars .

I noticed a big difference when climbing after I put the 27.5 on my 2019 Levo .
I had to move the seat forward and lean my head towards the stem a lot more to climb sections that I could ride more upright prev .

The new model has a longer front centre and a steeper seat tube so thus compensating .

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
Went of a ride with by buddy on his new 2022 Sworks, I was riding my 2020 S works with 160mm and AXS drivetrain.

2022 Sworks handles much better than my 2020.
The motor was smooth and seems to have a little more power.
Battery usage on 2022 was about the same as my 2020. 2020 battery fits 2022.
Brakes on 2022 are better, stronger then my 2020. Note I did switch to Swissstop e 29 pads on my codes, I like them a lot.

Things I didn't like, compared to mine. The seat looks cheap, it might have been a production supply issue but it looks cheap.
Brake rotors could have been two piece, 220mm. It will be an upgrade when I get a 2022.

Overall my buddy is an intermediate rider, the bike made my buddy a faster and more control rider. Seemed like a different rider in the corners and downhill.

Our ride was 23 miles, 3353feet of climbing, moving time was 1.56 hours. 3 bars remained on my bike.

Note: Neither of us have an relationship with Specialized. We just like mountain bikes.

In the view picture, there is a camel, zebra, llamas, horses and other animals. East Bay, CA
2022 bill's sworks.jpg
camel and horses.jpg

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Went of a ride with by buddy on his new 2022 Sworks, I was riding my 2020 S works with 160mm and AXS drivetrain.

2022 Sworks handles much better than my 2020.
The motor was smooth and seems to have a little more power.
Battery usage on 2022 was about the same as my 2020. 2020 battery fits 2022.
Brakes on 2022 are better, stronger then my 2020. Note I did switch to Swissstop e 29 pads on my codes, I like them a lot.

Things I didn't like, compared to mine. The seat looks cheap, it might have been a production supply issue but it looks cheap.
Brake rotors could have been two piece, 220mm. It will be an upgrade when I get a 2022.

Overall my buddy is an intermediate rider, the bike made my buddy a faster and more control rider. Seemed like a different rider in the corners and downhill.

Our ride was 23 miles, 3353feet of climbing, moving time was 1.56 hours. 3 bars remained on my bike.

Note: Neither of us have an relationship with Specialized. We just like mountain bikes.

In the view picture, there is a camel, zebra, llamas, horses and other animals. East Bay, CA View attachment 56665 View attachment 56666

I saw that pic last night .
It`s a good comparison . STA was what stood out to me , followed by the front triangle .
Thanks for sharing that .

Bearman

Sep 17, 2020
Trondheim, Norway
To be fair to Rob he did a very in depth video with Berkshire cycles last year where they went into all the issues with the Brose, what can be done to try and avoid them and sort them.

He also had one of the main guys from Specilized on the live stream a while back and they went into the motor issues too with them, and Brose motor issues are regular topics on the Live Stream.

Yes that is true, to be fair. I did see it when it aired, and was hopefull that my motor isssues would be a thing of the past. But since then I have had 3 motors fails. Hence, it seems to me that the issues have not been resolved. Its seems to me the issue is with the belt or gog related, as the motor makes a craking sound, that sounds like a cog being forced against something, perhaps the belt. You wont notice it when pedaling on flat surface with little force on the pedals, but as soon you start going up a hill and pedal harder, you can clearly hear it over the motor.
I have tried several times to contact Specialized to ask about the issues, but have had no meaningfull answers back. I currently waiting for a new motor, which I hope will not fail.
Its a shame, because I love the bike. Its a beauty to ride. But with the motor issues not going away, I fear for endless motor swaps, and the devaluation of second hand value.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yes that is true, to be fair. I did see it when it aired, and was hopefull that my motor isssues would be a thing of the past. But since then I have had 3 motors fails. Hence, it seems to me that the issues have not been resolved. Its seems to me the issue is with the belt or gog related, as the motor makes a craking sound, that sounds like a cog being forced against something, perhaps the belt. You wont notice it when pedaling on flat surface with little force on the pedals, but as soon you start going up a hill and pedal harder, you can clearly hear it over the motor.
I have tried several times to contact Specialized to ask about the issues, but have had no meaningfull answers back. I currently waiting for a new motor, which I hope will not fail.
Its a shame, because I love the bike. Its a beauty to ride. But with the motor issues not going away, I fear for endless motor swaps, and the devaluation of second hand value.

Yes it will be interesting to see if early adopters of the Gen 3 have issues. The nightmares friends of mine have had with previous Specilized EMTB’s would mean I would never pull the trigger on one before they have been out in customers hands for a while and really tested.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
But since then I have had 3 motors fails. Hence, it seems to me that the issues have not been resolved.
You seem to be part of the Superhero group who have multiple motor failures. I'm surprised they've not tried to work out exactly what happens in these cases. If they could find the pattern in these cases, they should be able to address it which should in turn make the motors bullet proof for everyone. I've always wanted to do a thread to try and work it out but have always been too lazy ? Low cadence in high power modes causing excessive heat is often a big cause ? Obviously you just ride your bike and enjoy it, you're not a high speed mobile rock bouncing laboratory, so you wouldn't identify if you do anything different to other owners ?

@Specialized Rider Care Could you sign up selected members of the Superhero group into some kind of long term lab rat test project ?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Low cadence in high power modes causing excessive heat is often a big cause ?
I’m a superhero! Yay!

Sadly no more, mine went back for full refund. I had 3 new motors, x3 TCU’s, x3 Looms and everything was replaced at least once, except the battery.

I agree, a ‘study’ would be interesting. In fact, whilst this is just a guess, obviously, I bet Spec have tried all that. They have all the data form these bikes after all. For example from my story.

Concerning the rider’s contribution, here’s my story and you’ll have to be the judge of my honesty:—

After the first issue, I followed Berkshire Bike’s advice as seen in Rob Rides Vid with them in 2019. And because this has been my practice for over a decade, I only ever washed it gently with a soft brush and bucket, no MukOff or anything, no fast jet from a hose, no pressure washer. Every time I took it in for new bits to fix it, I asked about signs of water and mud etc and was told that there was nothing unusual from other e-bike’s they serviced (all manufacturers). I rode the correct (high) cadence for no better reason than the Brose just helps you along the trail better that way. The LBS said there was no software record of overheating. I never ‘pushed’ the bike to its torque limits because I didnt have to — in part because I don’t ride radical trails up or down, in part because I‘m fit and in part due to mission control settings. I weigh 82KG and have a BMI of 24 -- I’m tall.

The truth is I didn’t want it to keep breaking — such a pain — and I was more than happy to keep to all the ’advice’ if that meant I’d get more time riding and less time pushing it back home to be left at the LBS.

But, whilst we’d quite properly never see the results, I do hope the 2.2 has benefited from such an analysis. Perhaps there’s going to be more advice in the user manual ?

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.

View attachment 56665

Really helpful pic, thanks ?

Those MT7’s:-

FYI, I upgraded the Codes on my 2020 expert to MT5’s with single finger levers plus the two part 220 Magura e-disks front and back. Only upgrade from stock. I didn’t go for the MT7’s as short of money, but my LBS said that they felt the callipers were indistinguishable for most riders and that whilst the reservoir/handle combination is a composite on the MT5, they hadn’t seen any problems with damage.

Definately much more progression and the stopping power much better. My new ride (the Levo has gone) has the Codes on a 220 disk and they’re still not as progressive as the MT5’s and have less stopping power in my hands on this same sized rotor and that’s on stickier rubber too. Changing over to my MT5’s ASAP (I kept them).

I wonder if the lower specified Gen 3’s will have MT5’s? If so, I feels that’d bee a good thing.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
Just out of interest, can you fit a 29" rear wheel, or is it 27.5" only?

was just thinking, I already have a 29" DTSwiss HXC 1200 wheelset and a fresh Shimano drivetrain.. if I purchased the frame, I'd only need to buy brakes (£300?), fork(£1200?) dropper(£300?) and some minor bits which should total way less than £10k

Last edited:

Roger20

Mar 6, 2020
West Yorkshire UK
To feed @Zimmerframe's need to understand the multiple motor failure rate experienced by some, whilst others had no problems:-

I have no doubt Specialized's ability to understand the issue fully a lot earlier were hampered by the fact that warranty motor returns were dealt with by Brose rather than Specialized. I think it is feasible that there was mis-diagnosis by LBS in some cases. It also seems likely that warranty return motors were recycled when Brose fixed the symptom ( e.g broken or damaged belt) rather than the cause or causes. Hence repeat failures.

We can only guess at what went on behind the scenes but I would guess a major review was initiated...........a review possibly reinforced by Specialized's decision to use a different motor for the SL launch developed with Mahle.
The resultant revisions included new seals, uprated sprag bearings and an uprated belt...........water ingress and sprag bearing failures being the root cause of most issues I reckon. It also included a software update said to remove power spikes that were potentially damaging to the motor albeit not noticeable to the rider. That sounds like a partial concession to Brose by Specialized to me!

With the additional protection for the charger plug and an IP rated TCU, added to the motor upgrades, it does sound to me like previous problems have been resolved. Time will tell of course.
Mike - do you know for sure that new and replacement motors have new seals? I think @Bearing Man said that until he gets into a recent 2.1 motor he doesn't know that for sure. It would be good to get some unequivocal information on that. Without the internal mod he does to seal the motor from external water ingress, rather than the internal sprag clutch just sealing to prevent grease escaping, these motors will always be vulnerable to water migrating along the crankshaft and eventually finding its way into the motor. That's why the two 'X' ring seals he puts on the crank behind the the crank arms are so important as a first line defence

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles