Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
If I live in Japan, where can I order the SL 1.2 motor to put in it? I see here that those guys in England are doing it. Will those shops in England mail the new 1.2 motor to Japan? I might also ask a Specialized shop in Taiwan and see if I can get one from Taiwan. Is the installation pretty easy?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If I live in Japan, where can I order the SL 1.2 motor to put in it? I see here that those guys in England are doing it. Will those shops in England mail the new 1.2 motor to Japan? I might also ask a Specialized shop in Taiwan and see if I can get one from Taiwan. Is the installation pretty easy?
You can't just buy the motor. Everyone who's swapped has bought either a Levo SL 1.2 or the Hardtail (childrens) Levo SL 1.2 and swapped the motor over.

Installation is very easy, like about 30 minutes. But unless you want to buy a Levo SL and sell it off with your old motor, it's probably cheaper and easier to sell your KSL and buy the newer KSL with the 1.2 when it's available.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
You can't just buy the motor. Everyone who's swapped has bought either a Levo SL 1.2 or the Hardtail (childrens) Levo SL 1.2 and swapped the motor over.

Installation is very easy, like about 30 minutes. But unless you want to buy a Levo SL and sell it off with your old motor, it's probably cheaper and easier to sell your KSL and buy the newer KSL with the 1.2 when it's available.
Almost the same answer you gave to pretty much the same question 2 weeks ago! You have the patience of a saint 😂😂

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
It’s significantly quieter than the 1.1 and the power is also very noticeable. It’s not as quiet as the Trek TQ though but around the same as the noise as the fazua ride 60. A fiend I ride with has a Pivot Shuttle SL. Interestingly the bikes appear to be the same power so it looks like the 60nm is overrated and you don’t really get that 60nm
That review doesn’t make much sense and they seem to forget they are riding an SL as they almost compare going up a steep hill to full power, completely pointless.
Most reviewers don’t fully separate that though to be fair. Only MTBR Francois does it properly. It’s better, even up steep hills, than the 1.1 but certainly doesn’t drag you up. You still have to work as we know.
We all want different things and I got rid of my FF very quickly, hated it as so cumbersome. I then had the 1.1 Levo SL for 2 years. I loved that and although the noise didn’t really bother me the new one is refreshing. Motors generally make some noise and not something I need to hide when riding it over my Epic Evo. I hear lots of FF motors that are a a lot louder than mine when out and about.
The Mahle also seems to be about the most reliable so that’s a real positive. My mate has already had a new Fazua in his.

The only negative so far is the slight overrun noise you get with the 1.2. You can adapt your riding style to avoid it but probably shouldn’t have to. The Levo SL 1.1 didn’t have that noise but I believe the KSL did.

The orbea rise sits in the middle, a true 60nm but close to 19kg so not as nimble going down. I guess it comes down to what you need/want.
I have zero regrets about the new Levo SL and 1.2 motor and would buy it again tomorrow. It also draws 8.4a when I fully go for it so not sure what that equates to in real terms. A KSL with this motor will make a few people very happy if they want more poke and a quieter experience. The new SC Heckler SL also looks like a great bike, a bit heavier but has a big battery.

There seems to be a fair bit of variance from all of the electric motors, even the same model.

But I ride with a buddy on a new Levo SL and I'm on a Relay and I can hear his motor clearly 15' away over my motor that I'm sitting on top of. I've also ridden the HP TQ50. If I were to rate the TQ a 10 on the quiet scale, and the 1.2 a 1 as the loudest, I'd put the F60 about a 7 or 8. Quite close to the HP.

the F60 also has 34% more battery juice and this becomes obvious when you run the bikes next to each other. You really need the RE on the 1.2 to equal the range of the F60.

I don't say any of this to type bad about the 1.2, just giving honest impressions.

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
Has anyone retrofitted SRAM Transmission to their Kenevo SL? It's very difficult to find a suitable 94BCD chainring.

Garbaruk seems to be an option, but the shipping alone is nearly $32.
Burgtec do a 94 bcd chainring as well. Maybe you can get one of those locally

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
^Wrong chainline. It will work, just as the stock X-Sync 2 94BCD chainring does, but it is not optimal.

Srams website states OCT 2023 for the Transmission 94BCD X-Sync 2 chainring.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
Yes but again, wrong chainline for SRAM Transmission, which was the specifics to the question, not if it fits KSL. It fits KSL for SRAM EAGLE. Poster otherwise could have just bought stock X-Sync 2, which currently for KSL is also for SRAM EAGLE, and expected for SRAM Transmission sometime this month, if on time.

johned

Jul 30, 2022
UK
Yes but again, wrong chainline for SRAM Transmission, which was the specifics to the question, not if it fits KSL. It fits KSL for SRAM EAGLE. Poster otherwise could have just bought stock X-Sync 2, which currently for KSL is also for SRAM EAGLE, and expected for SRAM Transmission sometime this month, if on time.
Thanks mate,
I'd read up about Transmission but I missed the bit about different chainline 👍
MTB life is a constant learning experience :D

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
Hi,

I have an EXT Storia V3 with 65mm for sale. Shim for Kenevo SL and hasn't been driven since last service. Springs are 450 and 500.
original packaging everything present
650€ plus shipping

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Given what they will be worth in a few weeks when the KSL2 is announced I don’t think you did too badly. I’m just glad I’m not so desperate for the new motor that I’m prepared to take a hit Tyson Fury would be proud of!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
it's probably cheaper and easier to sell your KSL and buy the newer KSL with the 1.2 when it's available.

Given the prices Kenevo SL's are selling for now, you might actually be cheaper (although not easier) buying the kids SL and doing the mod. I imagine the Kenevo SL 1.2 will be around £8k for the Comp when they eventually announce it.
Just now you're getting a kids SL for £3500 RRP, and can get 10% off that if you have a friendly bike shop. KSL's were available at half price for a while - but it looks like Specialized are only selling KSL frames now. Must mean the 1.2 is just round the corner?

Looking at the Kids SL though - size wise, it'd be perfect for my 137cm 8 year old daughter (it's sized for 125-145cm according to Spesh site)... but it says in the UK a child can't legally ride an emtb until they're 14 years old. I can't imagine many 14 year olds being in that size bracket?!

I also wouldn't give an 8 year old an emtb anyway - they need to learn to use their legs!!!

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Folk aren’t suppose to derestrict either, but well, you know…

I’ve seen plenty of kids on FF eebs at FoD, my first thought is always “Damn! I wish my parents were dentists…” 😂
No way I'd be paying £3000+ for a bike for an 8 year old. She'd probably leave it lying outside the shop and someone would nick it! Lazy enough as it is... having a motor would encourage it!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I don't believe the 94BCD T-Type compatible chainring will change the chainline, a new spider would be required to give you a 55mm chainline. The updated chainring will simply have the updated tooth profile to make it compatible with a T-Type chain...

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
That Kid's SL bike is also weirdly designed in principle. Any kid riding it will be half the weight of average adult, so why did they kept the full 320W battery? The bike is nowhere "SL" weight enough for kids. Must still ride like absolute shit, they should have repurposed the 160W from Extender instead. Sorry for off-topic.
Heh selling KSL in general isn't easy, the bike just didn't sell enough to begin with. Specialized took big gamble by bringing it to market and I am so thankful they did, but looks like the market just wasn't there much for it yet. But it kickstarted the category (SL high-travel enduro/freeride rig) and that's always good thing.

R3Z3N

Mar 2, 2022
California
I don't believe the 94BCD T-Type compatible chainring will change the chainline, a new spider would be required to give you a 55mm chainline. The updated chainring will simply have the updated tooth profile to make it compatible with a T-Type chain...
True and true. Chainline is 3mm different (don't remember which way) but alas, the parts are not available
yet. However 3mm can be changed either via the spider or chainring depending on how it is mfgd.

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
Given what they will be worth in a few weeks when the KSL2 is announced I don’t think you did too badly.
That was basically my line of thinking towards the end. I was worried that once the new Kenevo SL's come out with the new 1.2 motor, it would even be harder to sell. I had it posted on an auction site, and it just was not getting any interest at $5,000, or even $4,000. I was getting offers from guys for $3,500. So I finally said fuck it, and sold it at the best offer I could get. It's not easy to re-sell these bikes in Japan, and the re-sale value really drops.

Apr 11, 2023
Japan
Why did you sell?
I bought a Kenevo SL in February, and then I bought a Levo in April. I like the Levo a lot more and stopped riding the Kenevo SL. So it has just been sitting there for the last several months collecting dust. So I decided to sell it, but I wanted to sell it before the new Kenevo SL is released with the new 1.2 motor, because it would be harder to sell after that.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
Given what they will be worth in a few weeks when the KSL2 is announced I don’t think you did too badly. I’m just glad I’m not so desperate for the new motor that I’m prepared to take a hit Tyson Fury would be proud of!
My Specialized dealer doesn´t know anything about this coming announcement. Maybe your dealer is much better informed than mine?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My Specialized dealer doesn´t know anything about this coming announcement. Maybe your dealer is much better informed than mine?
My local Specialized dealer didn’t know anything about the Levo SL 1.2… other than the photos, screenshots, and specs I kept sending them.

The Kenevo SL 1.2 must be due imminently since they’ve taken the original off their website. There were some leaked screenshots a while back.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
My local Specialized dealer didn’t know anything about the Levo SL 1.2… other than the photos, screenshots, and specs I kept sending them.

The Kenevo SL 1.2 must be due imminently since they’ve taken the original off their website. There were some leaked screenshots a while back.

All KSLs of the first generation are still on the US website and also on the European websites...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles