Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Hi everyone. I have to admit that the levo gen3 is a total disappointment for me. I haven't even driven 200 km and the problems have already started. from the first ride, I noticed that the engine loses power at certain moments of pedaling. when the pressure on the pedal is relaxed a little, and the pedaling continues. there is sometimes a delay in power delivery. now it has already started to happen that when pedaling it loses power for a short time and moves on. I'm not too happy with this behavior of the engine from the very beginning. and immediately the bike for reclamation. it's horror!

Mina08

Aug 21, 2018
Sweden
Hi everyone. I have to admit that the levo gen3 is a total disappointment for me. I haven't even driven 200 km and the problems have already started. from the first ride, I noticed that the engine loses power at certain moments of pedaling. when the pressure on the pedal is relaxed a little, and the pedaling continues. there is sometimes a delay in power delivery. now it has already started to happen that when pedaling it loses power for a short time and moves on. I'm not too happy with this behavior of the engine from the very beginning. and immediately the bike for reclamation. it's horror!
Have you checked your tunning settings in the app?

Tyjay

Apr 27, 2020
Bedlington
Hi guys!

Need to remove The spider off my gen 3, I have removed the lock ring, to protect the axle when using the puller I originally bought a 32mm socket, but I'm pretty sure that is just resting on a part of the spider so it won’t move when tightened 🤷🏻‍♂️ Is where I’ve marked red in the image below where the socket need to rest when using the puller? (The blue is where the 32mm socket would sit for reference)

Thanks

View attachment 132193
Probably a little late but I didn’t and haven’t used a puller
i just put a long Allen key or screwdriver behind the arm of the crank at 12 o’clock with a cloth behind it on the frame to stop any scratches
then slowly lift it up then do the same at the 6 o’clock postion or the opposite crank arm again prizing upwards gently then back to the opposite side
spider comes of super easy
done this a few times and always works in under a minute just remember to alternate opposite sides When you feel it starting to move

hope this description makes sense

Stianthr

Jan 2, 2024
Norway
Probably a little late but I didn’t and haven’t used a puller
i just put a long Allen key or screwdriver behind the arm of the crank at 12 o’clock with a cloth behind it on the frame to stop any scratches
then slowly lift it up then do the same at the 6 o’clock postion or the opposite crank arm again prizing upwards gently then back to the opposite side
spider comes of super easy
done this a few times and always works in under a minute just remember to alternate opposite sides When you feel it starting to move

hope this description makes sense
I used a puller, but ill try your technique next time I need to get it off🤙🏻

brigcampbell

May 30, 2022
SoCal
That’s a decent ride. We might be neighbors. Lol. Was in similar area and finally saw a Mountain Lion for the first time Aug 19th. Only took video, no stills, so doesn’t show up on the relive. Let’s see if this works.

Actually, do videos work here? Nope, guess not, here’s a little screen shot View attachment 123748
Bad news

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
I never resolved it no. It annoyed me so much I barely ride the Levo now since about 6 months when I got an Enduro. Fact, I've kinda gone off e bikes since owning the Enduro.

I'm currently replacing all bearings on the levo as i write this. The cascade linkage has slipped a bearing and the big bearings near the motor and the 4 bearings at the end of the seat and chain stays were toast. Haven't ridden yet so no idea if it fixes it.

I spent a lot of time inspecting the chain stay and couldn't see a crack although I may have another look since Veli-Matti mentioned the crack before the bike goes back together.

My chain stay arms do flex slightly if you push them together but can't work out if that's normal. I didn't press too hard as I didn't want to crack them. But they definitely weren't solid.

Once I've managed to ride it I'll come back and update.

Edit..... yeah its looking pretty cracked. FWIW it flexes only on the right hand/derailleur side. The other side is pretty solid.

View attachment 131762 View attachment 131764 View attachment 131765 View attachment 131766

Had the chainstay replaced under warranty as well as the battery and motor and some other bits, which is a result because the motor was gritty and inconsistent and probably 4 months out of warranty.

Definitely sticking with the Spesh brand now, especially the concept franchises as my nearest store has been great. Quick ride down the street and the difference is stark, I've blamed the clevis design for the flex all this time and it's now almost solid.

Jorva 1983

May 10, 2022
Belgium
Did any of you get the battery door in warranty recently? Mine broke last week in the cold weather. Dealer told me no more warranty because it lasted 2 years…

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Gentlemen, I just found a broken spoke on back wheel 27.5. (Roval Traverse) on Gen3 Levo Expert.
Anyone know what length spoke they are?

DT SWISS COMPETITION RACE SPOKE​

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK
Had my levo 6 weeks or so now. So far had no real issues except I snapped a chain yesterday. I've been pretty conscious about being in the right gear and not shifting on hills etc but I snapped it right out of the start gate Aaron Gwin style yesterday.

Had to bodge it and lose a link because I had no speed links with me but it survived the rest of the day.

Is there any specific chain anyone would recommend as a replacement?

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Have you checked your tunning settings in the app?
I have been to 2 service centers, they say that everything is fine. although an error was read, a voltage drop in the light connector. they cleaned the contacts and sprayed contact spray. but, interruptions during pedaling still exist.
I don't know if this is normal for Specialized?
when I tried the settings in the application, I noticed that: when I increase the responsiveness to 80 or 100%, interruptions appear more often than when I set it to 20%.
has anyone had such problems?
maybe the problem is in the speed sensor, the magnet...
the interruptions occur when I reduce the pedaling power on a hill, but I still turn the pedals but more slowly, the engine runs. and at one point the engine seems to stop for half a second, maybe even less.
it doesn't happen all the time, occasionally.

BikingBad

Sep 6, 2022
USA
Gentlemen, I just found a broken spoke on back wheel 27.5. (Roval Traverse) on Gen3 Levo Expert.
Anyone know what length spoke they are?

DT SWISS COMPETITION RACE SPOKE​

Spoke to Spesh support. Full bike build wheel specs are different from Roval wheels sold separately so this info isn’t available on their website.

DT Swiss Competition Race spokes, DS and NDS
266mm j-bend spokes, Spesh part number is S204600009
Nipples - DT Swiss Pro Lock hex nipples

rikidc

Jun 5, 2023
Spain
I have been to 2 service centers, they say that everything is fine. although an error was read, a voltage drop in the light connector. they cleaned the contacts and sprayed contact spray. but, interruptions during pedaling still exist.
I don't know if this is normal for Specialized?
when I tried the settings in the application, I noticed that: when I increase the responsiveness to 80 or 100%, interruptions appear more often than when I set it to 20%.
has anyone had such problems?
maybe the problem is in the speed sensor, the magnet...
the interruptions occur when I reduce the pedaling power on a hill, but I still turn the pedals but more slowly, the engine runs. and at one point the engine seems to stop for half a second, maybe even less.
it doesn't happen all the time, occasionally.
I had same problems and had the speed sensor changed, but I still didn’t have time to test properly yet.

Other symptoms I had was difficulty to reach the 25kh/h limit unless trail tipping downhill, and motor cutting the power when rear wheel looses traction and spins the middle of a difficult climb, this was the most annoying…

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
I had same problems and had the speed sensor changed, but I still didn’t have time to test properly yet.

Other symptoms I had was difficulty to reach the 25kh/h limit unless trail tipping downhill, and motor cutting the power when rear wheel looses traction and spins the middle of a difficult climb, this was the most annoying…
very similar things happen.

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
both sound like torque sensor issues
I would prefer to sell the bike. it has 170 km! Today Specialized Eastern Europe also gave me an explanation. here is the email.

Hello,
Firstly We need to point out that service done everything they could. It is recommended to clean up the contacts to keep the system function fully.
Main issue is that We see only few errors on your bike and even close to each other so keep in mind that If errors keep showing in future, visit your local bike shop to check the bike again. But for this time We would recommend to use the bike as normal.
Thank you for reaching us and have a nice day

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would prefer to sell the bike. it has 170 km! Today Specialized Eastern Europe also gave me an explanation. here is the email.

Hello,
Firstly We need to point out that service done everything they could. It is recommended to clean up the contacts to keep the system function fully.
Main issue is that We see only few errors on your bike and even close to each other so keep in mind that If errors keep showing in future, visit your local bike shop to check the bike again. But for this time We would recommend to use the bike as normal.
no email

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
from hello, the following is an email!
Hello,

OK I found it....the original was white text on white background....invisible!!

So did either of the dealers you visited actualy ride the bike? I would have thought at the very least they would do a test ride and also reflash the firmware. Sounds like you need to find a good bike shop!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles