Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

bepcav82

Aug 8, 2021
Italy
Yeah I am aware of that calculator. Nothing like real world experience though. For example that EXT calculator had me on a spring that was 50-75lbs lighter than I needed on another bike.
Strange ... I've always found it very accurate, even with other shocks. :confused:
EXT during the purchase ask you a lot of data and provides the shock with customized tuning. My experience with them has been very positive.

bepcav82

Aug 8, 2021
Italy
Yeah I am aware of that calculator. Nothing like real world experience though. For example that EXT calculator had me on a spring that was 50-75lbs lighter than I needed on another bike.
One question... for spring mono mounting hardware, is possible to use the harware of the original Fox?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I think I just turned my enduro into an XC/trail bike! Big fan of Butcher tires here, which I know get mixed reviews, but they hook up amazing for me, however, I wanted to see if I could shed some weight and try to change up the riding experience.

Fast forward: I installed a set of DT Swiss 30's (XM1501 alloys) with Maxxis tires. I've only run Maxxis and DT Swiss wheels so I know them pretty well and run these wheels on another bike. Again, I think Butchers offer better traction and comfort, but let's parking lot that for now. :geek:

Here's my experience after two rides on them.

1. Holy crap do they flow!
  2. Significant improvement in agility - thru switchbacks, downhill transitions, etc.
  3. Did I mention they flow!
  4. They do feel stiffer, but also offer more of a precision feel (I'm guessing more of a carbon like feel).
  5. Wheelset combined weight saving is only in the 100g range.
  6. Not nearly as planted as Butchers with less overal traction - need to really stay on your game or you'll end up in the brush.
  7. Climbing traction in tight, slow, technical uphills was far worse - lots of wheelspin, which I never get on my Butcher rear.
  8. Quick transitions at speed going DH was a breeze....Floated more than feeling planted like on stock wheels.
  9. Got thru rock gardens easier with less hangup and could carry more speed/flow.
  10. Flowed thru turns much easier and with more speed I came into some turns hot on many occassions.
  11. Lap times are clearly better.
  12. DH was good prior, but now it's like floating DH with the caveot that traction and planted performace was quite a bit diminished.
  13. I'm assuming performance I'm feeling is mostly attributed to the tires, not the rims, considering stock Roval wheels and DT Swiss are both 30mm inner. I guess the hubs are a bit better and somewhat lighter, maybe this is helping too.
  14. The SL now simply has a more playful and agile feel to it.
In summary, a pleasant surprise to say the least. It makes my SL feel more XC/Trail like now. For me, yes, the performance improvements were nice and the bike simply feels more agile, but I did miss the planted feeling and traction of the stock tires at times. I guess it's always a tradeoff in life, but thought I'd share my story.

View attachment 69440

View attachment 69442

View attachment 69441

View attachment 69439
interesting that you find that combo with the assegai more “xc”. Ironically , I just had my first ride back on the stock tires and rims albeit with tannus inserts.

I had been riding my carbon wheels with my more trail oriented tires for the majority of my rides, but they were getting a little long in the tooth especiallyon the side knobs.

the butches have immense grip for my dry and dusty trails. they also feel more “damped “ , but that could be because of the tannus inserts vs thr cushcore xc on my carbons.

gojng to be hitting mammoth next week which is rough and very loose. So the deeper tread will be appreciated

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
interesting that you find that combo with the assegai more “xc”. Ironically , I just had my first ride back on the stock tires and rims albeit with tannus inserts.

I had been riding my carbon wheels with my more trail oriented tires for the majority of my rides, but they were getting a little long in the tooth especiallyon the side knobs.

the butches have immense grip for my dry and dusty trails. they also feel more “damped “ , but that could be because of the tannus inserts vs thr cushcore xc on my carbons.

gojng to be hitting mammoth next week which is rough and very loose. So the deeper tread will be appreciated

Yep, Butcher tires have increadible grip in dry Socal.. They intentionally make them more damped with their compound, so you absolutely are feeling that. They absorb well. For DH at Mammouth, I would only recomend running Butchers to be honest. Those suckers can plow DH!

For me at least, Maxxis's roll better, but Butcher's feel more planted, damp better, and have better traction.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Yep, Butcher tires have increadible grip in dry Socal.. They intentionally make them more damped with their compound, so you absolutely are feeling that. They absorb well. For DH at Mammouth, I would only recomend running Butchers to be honest. Those suckers can plow DH!

For me at least, Maxxis's roll better, but Butcher's feel more planted, damp better, and have better traction.
Is the DHR a 2.3 or 2.4?

My rear DH34 Michelin is starting to look a little worse for wear so I'll be looking at tyres again soon. It's dry and dusty where i am most of the time so I might even try the Butchers but with a cushcore in the rear after the feedback from you guys re the tyres.

The DH22 Michelin on the front is I think the best front tyre I have ever used. The grip is astounding. How it hangs on when others are getting squirrelly is taking a bit of getting used too! I can just attack and it just goes round almost anything.

The DH34 rear is a bit of an anchor...even on the KSL. It provides great braking and cornering grip but I think there are cheaper, lighter and less expensive options out there for similar performance. DHRII, DHF, Pinner are close to as good as a rear.

I rode a friends Nomad the other day and he had an Assegai front and a (worn) DHF on the rear and how easily that rolled compared to the Michelins was dramatic! It made me want to change my rear tyre immediately lol

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Is the DHR a 2.3 or 2.4?

My rear DH34 Michelin is starting to look a little worse for wear so I'll be looking at tyres again soon. It's dry and dusty where i am most of the time so I might even try the Butchers but with a cushcore in the rear after the feedback from you guys re the tyres.

The DH22 Michelin on the front is I think the best front tyre I have ever used. The grip is astounding. How it hangs on when others are getting squirrelly is taking a bit of getting used too! I can just attack and it just goes round almost anything.

The DH34 rear is a bit of an anchor...even on the KSL. It provides great braking and cornering grip but I think there are cheaper, lighter and less expensive options out there for similar performance. DHRII, DHF, Pinner are close to as good as a rear.

I rode a friends Nomad the other day and he had an Assegai front and a (worn) DHF on the rear and how easily that rolled compared to the Michelins was dramatic! It made me want to change my rear tyre immediately lol
another tire to through into the mix is Versus. That’s what I was running for about 300 miles until I swapped to the butcher in the rear. Rolls really fast for the tread shape, corner grips is great, and has been very durable. The butcher has the edge on traction in loose, but it’s much slower feeling.

I probably will get another one after I go through the butcher

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Is the DHR a 2.3 or 2.4?

By all ride reports, the Maxxis tires seem to get high marks for rolling resistance. Like you, this was/is also my experience, but I think the best solution depends on what terrain you ride most. I really like the roll of Maxxis, but also miss the traction and damped feeling of the T9/T7 combo. And some don't like Butcher's period. :unsure:

Basically, I can't decide what I prefer more...They both offer a lot. Just different ends of the spectrum.

Last edited:

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
By all ride reports, the Maxxis tires seem to get high marks for rolling resistance. Like you, this was/is also my experience, but I think the best solution depends on what terrain you ride most. I really like the roll of Maxxis, but also miss the traction and damped feeling of the T9/T7 combo. And some don't like Butcher's period. :unsure:

Basically, I can't decide what I prefer.

Which is why it’s great to have choices - as personally the Specialized tyres on the KSL I rode basically ruined the experience for me.I can’t think of a single reason why I would run them over my standard Assegai Maxx Grip & DHR2 MaxxTerra combo.

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Which is why it’s great to have choices - as personally the Specialized tyres on the KSL I rode basically ruined the experience for me.I can’t think of a single reason why I would run them over my standard Assegai Maxx Grip & DHR2 MaxxTerra combo.

Out of curiously only, what pressures do you generally run in your tires?

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
Is the DHR a 2.3 or 2.4?

2.5 front/2.4 rear.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
It's good news that EXT story fits!
Unfortunately in my case I have to buy it new. For the small price difference I prefer to buy e-storia because it is optimized for e-bikes.
If I was going to buy a new shock I would do the e storia as well. It’s probably incremental improvements over the storia but they are definitely welcome based on what I can see.

that being said I am going to most likely swap my current shock over as it probably the most cost effective route

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I've done about 200kms of riding on the KSL and without a doubt this has been my favourite bike so far. The way the bike just disappears beneath me when riding is testament to how well it is all working together.

I'm 185cm on a S4 with a 40mm stem with 12 degree backsweep bars and the reach feels great. Currently in high chainstay and the neutral head angle and the bike feels incredibly balanced. Front end never needs to be loaded hugely for grip, my normal riding position seems to suit the front/rear grip balance well. This has reduced fatigue for me so I'm able to keep riding fast for longer.

Jumping on this bike is predictable and I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable in the air on a bike (I'm not a huge sendy jumper but I'm happy to spend a couple of seconds in the air lol). I must be in a real sweet spot in regards to sizing and this is contributing to the increased confidence.

The Code RS brakes are still on there. I thought they wouldn't last as I really like the Dominions but with a change of pads (MTX red front, gold rear currently) and a good bleed I have to say they are fine and they can stay on if they remain consistent and reliable.

GX AXS drivetrain is pretty flawless.

Onyx fork has been ridiculously good. I'm a serial fork swapper but the Onyx has remained fitted with a Mezzer and the 38 gathering dust. Supportive, stiff with great damping and sensitivity.

I'm also using Fasst bars so I'm sure these are contributing to assisting the front end feel, taking the edge off sharp edges and vibration too.

Jade coil has also been excellent. Very occasionally I get a twang from the rear end on a single sharp edge hit that may mean a little less HSC would be ideal but really I'm nitpicking. Grip for days.

I did pull the air can off the OEM X2 and it had no spacers fitted so I have purchased them and I will at some stage take all the available options to the trail and have a play on different set ups.

The 160 cranks have also been great. I've had zero pedal strikes since fitting them and have found there to be no negatives to them at all. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

On the flip side....my OEM seat creaked like crazy and it got replaced under warranty. The motor rattles a little when not pedaling but only noticeable going slowly over chatter or bumbling along. Other than that the bike is completely silent as I have Onyx hubs too.
Motor is a little whiny but I can forgive that as it is such a good bike!

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I've done about 200kms of riding on the KSL and without a doubt this has been my favourite bike so far. The way the bike just disappears beneath me when riding is testament to how well it is all working together.

I'm 185cm on a S4 with a 40mm stem with 12 degree backsweep bars and the reach feels great. Currently in high chainstay and the neutral head angle and the bike feels incredibly balanced. Front end never needs to be loaded hugely for grip, my normal riding position seems to suit the front/rear grip balance well. This has reduced fatigue for me so I'm able to keep riding fast for longer.

Jumping on this bike is predictable and I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable in the air on a bike (I'm not a huge sendy jumper but I'm happy to spend a couple of seconds in the air lol). I must be in a real sweet spot in regards to sizing and this is contributing to the increased confidence.

The Code RS brakes are still on there. I thought they wouldn't last as I really like the Dominions but with a change of pads (MTX red front, gold rear currently) and a good bleed I have to say they are fine and they can stay on if they remain consistent and reliable.

GX AXS drivetrain is pretty flawless.

Onyx fork has been ridiculously good. I'm a serial fork swapper but the Onyx has remained fitted with a Mezzer and the 38 gathering dust. Supportive, stiff with great damping and sensitivity.

I'm also using Fasst bars so I'm sure these are contributing to assisting the front end feel, taking the edge off sharp edges and vibration too.

Jade coil has also been excellent. Very occasionally I get a twang from the rear end on a single sharp edge hit that may mean a little less HSC would be ideal but really I'm nitpicking. Grip for days.

I did pull the air can off the OEM X2 and it had no spacers fitted so I have purchased them and I will at some stage take all the available options to the trail and have a play on different set ups.

The 160 cranks have also been great. I've had zero pedal strikes since fitting them and have found there to be no negatives to them at all. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

On the flip side....my OEM seat creaked like crazy and it got replaced under warranty. The motor rattles a little when not pedaling but only noticeable going slowly over chatter or bumbling along. Other than that the bike is completely silent as I have Onyx hubs too.
Motor is a little whiny but I can forgive that as it is such a good bike!

did you try the bike without the fasst bars to have any comparison notes? Those bars really intrigued me, but it’s a steep $ and weight cost to try out .

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
did you try the bike without the fasst bars to have any comparison notes? Those bars really intrigued me, but it’s a steep $ and weight cost to try out .
I tried them on another bike back to back with a set of one up carbon bars and there is definitely less chatter felt thru the bars. Bigger single sharp hits are lessened also. I now prefer the 12 degree sweep too.

In relation to weight the Fasst carbon bars and I9 stem were 100gms heavier than the Specialized supplied bar and stem.

Price, yeah they are exxy. Would I buy again knowing what I know now? Yes.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I tried them on another bike back to back with a set of one up carbon bars and there is definitely less chatter felt thru the bars. Bigger single sharp hits are lessened also. I now prefer the 12 degree sweep too.

In relation to weight the Fasst carbon bars and I9 stem were 100gms heavier than the Specialized supplied bar and stem.

Price, yeah they are exxy. Would I buy again knowing what I know now? Yes.
Thanks for the feedback! I will keep them on the “potential” list. They are definitely intriguing.

are they noticeable when you are pumping, pushing, etc? Or is that something you learn to ignore after a ride or two ?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Thanks for the feedback! I will keep them on the “potential” list. They are definitely intriguing.

are they noticeable when you are pumping, pushing, etc? Or is that something you learn to ignore after a ride or two ?
I think I noticed them on the first drop to flat as I was really focused on them but from that I haven't felt them moving. I have the red/hard polymers in there. Steering feel hasn't been reduced and I haven't felt any detriment to handling.

It took longer to get used to the increased bar sweep more than anything.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
another tire to through into the mix is Versus. That’s what I was running for about 300 miles until I swapped to the butcher in the rear. Rolls really fast for the tread shape, corner grips is great, and has been very durable. The butcher has the edge on traction in loose, but it’s much slower feeling.

I probably will get another one after I go through the butcher
I just checked out the Versus tyres...1.5kg a tyre is up there.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Rode today on mixed trails about 24 km, 450m vertical, 98% Eco mode. Battery was eaten 28%. So it's about 1.2W per km (1.166).
In theory, you can reach about 80 km on a full charge, depending on the altitude difference

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I agree this questions, because I have had all the Kenovo generations. This SL version with Fox 38 and X2 can take bigger hits and smoother than earlier generations. Better suspension kinematics
100% eats the previous Generations. In all areas bar climbing. Above the 25km cutout on flat to small inclines it also leaves them for dust. I ride with a Gen 1 and Gen 2 and yeah no problem.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Super hard to get a Kenevo SL in Australia at the moment, I had to order one from @Christian 's hometown.
Custom build, I *can not wait* for it to be delivered.

D8FF2466-20E0-47AE-BF06-C9F171C5D0B9.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles