My Lightcarbon LCE930 build with Bafang M820

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Hey guys,

Good news, today my frame was painted:
IMG20230718135415.jpg

1689670358604.jpeg

I have to pay the second half, and than it will be shipped.

Here, I will post any updates regarding the build.

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
I paid the order, and now I was told that we are waiting for the shipment of chainguids, that LC should recieve next week. They will test the fitment and if it will fit, they will add it to the shipment.

@brbr it does look good on picture, let's see how it is in person :D

@un..inc LC didn't mention anything regarding the rocker arm painting. I don't really mind. I will leave it as is.

I am not going to go for ligth weight build, but for the more burly one. It will be interesting to see the weight difference between ultra ligth builds with the diy batteries and this one.

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Chain guides should be back in stock next week, so there is small delay here.

But the good news is, that battery should be ready next week, whitch would be great! If this is true, I can expect whole bike to be assembled before the end of August, depending on the shipping time for the frame and the battery.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Chain guides should be back in stock next week, so there is small delay here.

But the good news is, that battery should be ready next week, whitch would be great! If this is true, I can expect whole bike to be assembled before the end of August, depending on the shipping time for the frame and the battery.
Wow! Bafang btf014? 😀

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
yes, 4 hole, 43W BT F014 battery. I hope that this information is correct 😃

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Don't know yet. Bike is not built yet. But I did order besst tool and plan to up the limit to 32 or 45 km/h.

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
FIrst impresions are very good. It is my first carbon frame, so I don't have any refference in this regard, but it looks sturdy and finish is good. I really like the paint.

Here are few detail shots of the frame. When I was ordering the fram, I wouldn't mind some more detailed photos, so someone migth find them useful:

20230810-IMG_2581.jpg
20230810-IMG_2602.jpg 20230810-IMG_2584.jpg 20230810-IMG_2599.jpg 20230810-IMG_2606.jpg 20230810-IMG_2588.jpg 20230810-IMG_2595.jpg 20230810-IMG_2585.jpg 20230810-IMG_2594.jpg 20230810-IMG_2593.jpg 20230810-IMG_2597.jpg 20230810-IMG_2587.jpg 20230810-IMG_2586.jpg

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Also frame is ligther that I expected. My painted size L, with seat clamp and without motor bolts is 2526g. Rear axle and derailure hanger would add additional 88g:

1691708937574.png

Few interior shots
Seat tube from below:
1691709036103.png

Down tube:
1691709111190.png

I would say, that it looks clean. :)

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
I ordered bafang batery, but I don't know when it will be available, sadly.. :(
At least this is the plan. Let's see..

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
I did preliminary shock install.

Super deluxe coil ultimate 2023 fits OK, no problems there.

Width of the trunion mount shock is 54mm. Width at the rocker arm, with the provided spacers is 55mm. IMO, this is a bit too big, because rocker arm is verry rigid, so even when bolts are tigthened to spec, the shock doesn't "bottom out" on the spaceres between the shock and rocker arm. Bolts actually bottom out in the shock, before spacers contact the shock.
To me it looks like the provided spacers are too thin, cca 0,5mm too thin each, and . Did any body else notice something like that? Any feedback? Does it make sense what I am saying?

Alignment between top and bottom mount looks acceptable imo, I would eyeball it to cca 0,4mm to one side (for refference, on the giant reign 2020, alignment is spot on) .

Why am I measuring this? Especialy trunion mounted shocks are very sensitive to missalignment, because they don't tolerate bending forces too well. (eg, can't really bend at the trunion mount, too stiff)

Peter A

Nov 6, 2021
Australia

Width of the trunion mount shock is 54mm. Width at the rocker arm, with the provided spacers is 55mm. IMO, this is a bit too big, because rocker arm is verry rigid, so even when bolts are tigthened to spec, the shock doesn't "bottom out" on the spaceres between the shock and rocker arm. Bolts actually bottom out in the shock, before spacers contact the shock.
To me it looks like the provided spacers are too thin, cca 0,5mm too thin each, and . Did any body else notice something like that? Any feedback? Does it make sense what I am saying?

Alignment between top and bottom mount looks acceptable imo, I would eyeball it to cca 0,4mm to one side (for refference, on the giant reign 2020, alignment is spot on) .

Why am I measuring this? Especialy trunion mounted shocks are very sensitive to missalignment, because they don't tolerate bending forces too well. (eg, can't really bend at the trunion mount, too stiff)
Perhaps a photo identifying the areas of concern would help some of us understand better, thanks for such detailed information

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France

I think there is no play on my side, I will double check but it looked good to me

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Regarding the alignment, when the bottom bolt is done:

On non drive side:
1691826677607.png

And on the drive side:

1691826529853.png

It is a little bit to one side, but probably less than half a mm from center. I think it is good.

Regarding the spacer length:
When I do tight only one top bolt (bottom also unbolted, to see the movement), this is the result:

The bolt is tight, but there is still a bit of play between the shock and the shock and the rocker arm. IMO, this indicates, that the spacers are a bit too narrow (considering I measured 45mm distance between the two) or (and?) bolts are a bit too long.

When you do both bolts, there is no play, because in a sense, shock is then suspended in the middle of the rocker arm, because rocker arm is very rigid.

As is, I don't think it is a big issue. Currently, I put few 10mm x 18mm x 0,1mm shims between the rocker arm and the shock, to take up the slack. I put more on the drive side, to help with the very slight misalignment, and shock is not pulled in the middle unnecessarily.

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Regarding the alignment, when the bottom bolt is done:

On non drive side:
View attachment 122360

And on the drive side:

View attachment 122359

It is a little bit to one side, but probably less than half a mm from center. I think it is good.

Regarding the spacer length:
When I do tight only one top bolt (bottom also unbolted, to see the movement), this is the result:

The bolt is tight, but there is still a bit of play between the shock and the shock and the rocker arm. IMO, this indicates, that the spacers are a bit too narrow (considering I measured 45mm distance between the two) or (and?) bolts are a bit too long.

When you do both bolts, there is no play, because in a sense, shock is then suspended in the middle of the rocker arm, because rocker arm is very rigid.

As is, I don't think it is a big issue. Currently, I put few 10mm x 18mm x 0,1mm shims between the rocker arm and the shock, to take up the slack. I put more on the drive side, to help with the very slight misalignment, and shock is not pulled in the middle unnecessarily.
On my side no issue, I have a small play but in the lower part, not the trunnion side, I may have to check for new bushings.

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
After some measurements,I decided to go with 210mm one up dropper. I probably won't be able to run it at 210mm, but hopefully at 190mm. Ligthcarbon really missed the mark here, imo. In size L, it looks like there is very small obstruction(few mm) in the seat tube at cca 22cm. After that insertion length could be cca 2-3cm longer.

On current bike I have 210mm, and really can't say that it is too much.

With that I also ordered some sort of foam for cable routing. After that, I will have everything (apart from the battery, of course..) so the build will commence.

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Preliminary test build is done:

20230821-IMG_2669.jpg

Weigth is 17.6kg. It is without a battery, pedals and tubeless, without tyre sealant.
With battery, pedals and sealant it should be cca 20.8kg. Considering, it has heavy alu wheels, heavy tyres, heavy drivetrain, and coil shock I think it is good. Certanly good enough for me. :D

Last edited:

dvng

May 21, 2021
Malaysia
Preliminary test build is done:

View attachment 123052

Weigth is 17.6kg. It is without a battery, pedaly and tubeless, without tyre sealant.
With battery, pedals and sealant it should be cca 20.8kg. Considering, it has heavy alu wheels, heavy tyres, heavy drivetrain, and coil shock I think it is good. Certanly good enough for me. :D
What is the shock length and stroke?

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
After some more tuning, I did my first (non-powered) ride today. I was just strolling around the neighborhood. Did some wheelies, bunny hops, and rode some stair sets. I must say, that it feels very similar to my giant reign 29, weight and geometry-wise. It is only good 1kg heavier. Geometry is very similar. Compared to the reign, the wheelbase is the same, head and seat angles are also very similar, only the front center/reach is slightly shorter on LCE930 (cca 10mm) and for a similar amount chainstay is longer. I believe I will prefer this, It should center me better on the bike.

It was also not very hard to pedal. The resistance from the motor is quite low. It felt very similar to my normal bike. I felt instantly comfortable on it.

The bike was also very quiet. Sadly, the motor was not... It was rattling. More here:

I also remembered, how much I prefer Shimano brakes to the Sram codes that I have on my reign...

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
Also frame is ligther that I expected. My painted size L, with seat clamp and without motor bolts is 2526g. Rear axle and derailure hanger would add additional 88g:

View attachment 122259

Few interior shots
Seat tube from below:
View attachment 122260

Down tube:
View attachment 122261

I would say, that it looks clean. :)
Nice build! Hope you get a battery soon!

I am thinking about a custom battery, I know the bafang battery is 63x53x450mm and i can measure from drawing, but when you have the motor off, could you measure the actual space inside the downtube?

clix

Jul 24, 2022
EU
Hey, tnx. I don't plan on dropping the motor right now, but it looks like @kaylee.s just received his frame, so he might be able to help you:

Don't forget to leave enough space for all the cables.

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
Hey, tnx. I don't plan on dropping the motor right now, but it looks like @kaylee.s just received his frame, so he might be able to help you:

Don't forget to leave enough space for all the cables.
Yes this is what I was thinking about. How much space there is in total. Safest would be to order frame first and measure, but if I order motor I need to decide voltage and that affects battery size.

Easiest of course would be just to order bafang battery, but that is not as fun.. 🤷‍♂️

TobyB

Aug 26, 2023
Seattle WA
I recently put in an order for a frame and motor. Could i ask which cassette you put on here? And how does it pedal with no motor? I have a 2021 Norco range VLT with an Ep8000 and it is quite draggy. Also did it come with the bottom shock bolt? I have ordered the shock and hardware for the bushings but i'm not sure if i need the bolt and if so which size. Thanks

kaylee.s

Jul 6, 2023
Redondo Beach, CA
I recently put in an order for a frame and motor. Could i ask which cassette you put on here? And how does it pedal with no motor? I have a 2021 Norco range VLT with an Ep8000 and it is quite draggy. Also did it come with the bottom shock bolt? I have ordered the shock and hardware for the bushings but i'm not sure if i need the bolt and if so which size. Thanks
Yes, mine came with the lower shock bolts

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles