M820 Bafang - LIGHTCARBON LCE930 Frame (lightweight)

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
And it works well? Isn't there a problem with the Cut Off?
Battery 43V Cut off = 40.8V ( 3,4 V / cell)
Battery 36V Cut off = 34V (3.4V / cell)

Intuitively, I'd say that with a 36V you have an operating range that goes from 42V (Full charge) to 40V (Cutoff) and then it cuts off, right?

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa

Intuitively, I'd say that with a 36V you have an operating range that goes from 42V (Full charge) to 40V (Cutoff) and then it cuts off, right?
You need to have corresponding battery to your motor controller firmware. Firmware can be easily changed, battery not so easy.
Working range for li-ion cells is about 4.2-2.7V with most BMS. So 36V battery would be 27V to 42V.

If you like an extender and don’t want to build your own batteries, go for 36V or 48V. 43V seems to be Bafang specialty and finding an extender might be difficult.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US

All LION batteries with the M820 will cutoff after 80% used. Nothing to do with the voltage of the battery.
THe M820 comes in three different versions, 36v,43v,48v.
The firmware sets the cut-off for motors designed for different voltage.

Last edited:

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
You say that the engine behaves exactly the same whether it's powered by a 43V or a 36V battery?

That the cut-off is set to 80% on the batteries is one thing. That the bike operates identically, I doubt it.

What have you experienced on this side?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
There is no difference. Power is power. A 43v motor is not more "powerful" than a 36v motor. It is a myth.
The higher the voltage the lower the current required for a certain power level. That can allow a manufacturer to create a lighter motor with smaller conductors at the higher voltage. But that is the only difference and it is not clear if Bafang changes the size of the conductors for higher voltage motors. I doubt it.

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
There is no difference. Power is power. A 43v motor is not more "powerful" than a 36v motor. It is a myth.
The higher the voltage the lower the current required for a certain power level. That can allow a manufacturer to create a lighter motor with smaller conductors at the higher voltage. But that is the only difference and it is not clear if Bafang changes the size of the conductors for higher voltage motors. I doubt it.
Intuitively, I'd say that the nominal voltage and max current are hard-coded in the controller.

So if you take a 43V - 13A firmware -> 560 W
If you power it at 36V, the max current is alway 13A...
So your Pmax will be 36 x 13 = 468 W.
-> You lose 100W of nominal power on your motor... What do you think of this resonance? Wrong?

BESST_PIC.png

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
Intuitively, I'd say that the nominal voltage and max current are hard-coded in the controller.

So if you take a 43V - 13A firmware -> 560 W
If you power it at 36V, the max current is alway 13A...
So your Pmax will be 36 x 13 = 468 W.
-> You lose 100W of nominal power on your motor... What do you think of this resonance? Wrong?

View attachment 136745
Well, this is why the 36V firmwares have higher current than 43 and 48V. So the max power remains the same.

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
Well, this is why the 36V firmwares have higher current than 43 and 48V. So the max power remains the same.
You mean you're running 43V with a 43V battery and when you plug in the battery extender with 36V nominal you load a new firmware into the motor?

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
You mean you're running 43V with a 43V battery and when you plug in the battery extender with 36V nominal you load a new firmware into the motor?
No, even if that would work in theory, that is too complicated. You need to have same voltage on main battery, extender and firmware. Any one of the three options work.

Bafang have 360Wh 36V battery, if you use that it would be easy to find extender. I don't know if you can buy that via lightcarbon though.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
360w is 360 w. As noted with 43 it is 8.37 amps and with 36v it is 10amps. So the 43v could have smaller wires that would be lighter, slightly. That would be the advantage of the higher voltages but does Bafang actually change the gauge of the wires in the motors or batteries? For lowest cost I would guess no. But the max current is different for the two motors in question.

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
360w is 360 w. As noted with 43 it is 8.37 amps and with 36v it is 10amps. So the 43v could have smaller wires that would be lighter, slightly. That would be the advantage of the higher voltages but does Bafang actually change the gauge of the wires in the motors or batteries? For lowest cost I would guess no. But the max current is different for the two motors in question.
Once again... You don't take into account the maximum current programmed in your controller. But I have my answer thanks @Freda

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
You can't program in max current. You can only limit it by clamping it. These are controlled by a pulse train to the speed controller. The motor is going to pull what it pulls at a certain assist setting based on the resistance of the windings. The only thing the controller is programmed to do is limit the assist level after the voltage drops to a trigger level.

kaylee.s

Jul 6, 2023
Redondo Beach, CA
If anyone is interested in buying an LCE930 in the USA, I'm considering selling mine.

cwoodffr

Jan 4, 2024
Toronto
Had a shake out ride a week or so ago (snow came back since) but we went out and did 10km and where I would be stopping and waiting many times and cringing about my bad boyfriend trail choices, this time any time I looked over my shoulder she was right there! Going to be a great summer with this in the stable.

Short clip of her going up a steep rooty climb. This is the bottom of a G out that is much steeper than it looks...and she just charges up it.

sandnap

Dec 23, 2023
Herriman, UT USA
Had a shake out ride a week or so ago (snow came back since) but we went out and did 10km and where I would be stopping and waiting many times and cringing about my bad boyfriend trail choices, this time any time I looked over my shoulder she was right there! Going to be a great summer with this in the stable.

Short clip of her going up a steep rooty climb. This is the bottom of a G out that is much steeper than it looks...and she just charges up it.
Nice! I wish I could talk my wife into doing trails like that. She went over the bars once and that was the end of trail riding.

cwoodffr

Jan 4, 2024
Toronto
Nice! I wish I could talk my wife into doing trails like that. She went over the bars once and that was the end of trail riding.
I hear ya.....I have to find the balance to keep the fear down....and she has had a few OTB's but powers on. She is an extreme sport gal from a lifetime of kiteboarding and wakeboarding....but some bad on water accidents has made her more cautious. At 56 and the combo of techy plus hard exertion at the same time was a blocker so this should REALLY help.

Migli54

Jun 6, 2021
Swiss guy
You can't program in max current. You can only limit it by clamping it. These are controlled by a pulse train to the speed controller. The motor is going to pull what it pulls at a certain assist setting based on the resistance of the windings. The only thing the controller is programmed to do is limit the assist level after the voltage drops to a trigger level.
Ho my god

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles