Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I want to try some shorter cranks on my S3. Does anyone know if you can run any brand of crank, or do you need a specific brand? I would like try 155 but there are limited brands in this size.

Kenevieve

Sep 21, 2021
Perämettä
First ride in snow with KSL. It works quite well:):)
IMG_2954.jpg

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
Can anyone confirm that a 30t chain ring will work on a Kenevo SL? Or would the chain ride the rubber chain protector in the smallest cog? Asking for a friend ;)

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
If I remember right, you will find the information in the manual.
Usually, both of the sizes are listed in the manual but for some reason, just the max size was listed.

Edit: I looked again and it's listed there, 30-34t (I swear it wasn't there before.. 🧐 lol)

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Question for the folks who run in warmer climates: Does the KSL roll back the available power like the regular Levo SL on hot days with hard climbs?

Entertaining the thought of a KSL, but having an extra low power cap in southern California summers would be a bear.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Just picked up an S5 KSL frameset and going to order up an EXT E-Storia straight away. At 6’4 230lbs the X2 shocks just don’t have enough rebound damping up near the PSI limit.

-Do I need to include DU bushings (doubt it)?

-Do I need shock hardware or can I reuse the Fox stuff?

Thanks in advance. Amped to get this built.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Hi !

The many threads with cracked crankarms and the actual huck-testresult drove me to swap my carbon cranks from my Levo22 SW to Alloy.

I weighed the right crankarm. 165mm Alloy from Ken22 only weights 15gr. more than the 160mm from Lev22 :oops: (if same pedals have no weight tolerances)

So for me: No chance for carbon cranks !

View attachment 71727

View attachment 71728

Best regards,

Chris

Cane Creek really needs to tap into this market, but if they don’t call them E-eewings I’m out.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Question for the folks who run in warmer climates: Does the KSL roll back the available power like the regular Levo SL on hot days with hard climbs?

Entertaining the thought of a KSL, but having an extra low power cap in southern California summers would be a bear.
I’m in South Texas, so definitely hot in summer. I have not noticed any difference between hot and cool temps in power or battery usage.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Just picked up an S5 KSL frameset and going to order up an EXT E-Storia straight away. At 6’4 230lbs the X2 shocks just don’t have enough rebound damping up near the PSI limit.

I ordered an Ext for another bike that had an X2. I did not order bushings and hardware. It was a mistake. The Fox bushings/hardware were not compatible. As much as these shocks cost, I’d order the bushings/hardware so you know it’s right. Also, I would order that new 3D printed clicker adjustment tool that is on the website. I cut down a 10mm wrench. Carrying that and an Allen wrench in your pocket sucked.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I ordered an Ext for another bike that had an X2. I did not order bushings and hardware. It was a mistake. The Fox bushings/hardware were not compatible. As much as these shocks cost, I’d order the bushings/hardware so you know it’s right. Also, I would order that new 3D printed clicker adjustment tool that is on the website. I cut down a 10mm wrench. Carrying that and an Allen wrench in your pocket sucked.

Good info thank you!

I’ve got an Arma on my enduro that came with a DU bushing in the lower mount but I had to press it out to accommodate the Enduro’s flip chip. Apparently I used the wrong type of press tool and it scarred up the shock mount. Just trying to get my ducks in a row this time.

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA

I ordered my e-STORIA with the DU bushings and new mounting hardware. When it arrived, I removed my Fox Factory X2 and seen that it did not use any DU bushings so I just had to use my bushing tool to push them out. Also the mounting hardware sizes listed in the Specialized manual are incorrect so the new upper mounting hardware from EXT was the wrong size, I had to reuse the ones that came on my X2, it fits fine without a DU bushing in the upper eyelet. I hope this helps.

Also it's worth mentioning that the torque spec for the upper shock mounting bolt (5mm) is another thing that's incorrect in the manual, the proper torque is 12.7nm not 22.7

Andres_Mora

Oct 28, 2021
US
I passed over my fox hardware no problem. Did struggle getting lower eyelet to squeeze between the spacers. Seems like ext was fractionally wider and not rounded like the fox was. I sanded the spacers a tiny bit to get clearance.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I ordered my e-STORIA with the DU bushings and new mounting hardware. When it arrived, I removed my Fox Factory X2 and seen that it did not use any DU bushings so I just had to use my bushing tool to push them out. Also the mounting hardware sizes listed in the Specialized manual are incorrect so the new upper mounting hardware from EXT was the wrong size, I had to reuse the ones that came on my X2, it fits fine without a DU bushing in the upper eyelet. I hope this helps.

Also it's worth mentioning that the torque spec for the upper shock mounting bolt (5mm) is another thing that's incorrect in the manual, the proper torque is 12.7nm not 22.7
I can confirm this. I torqued as per the manual and snapped the bolt. Specialized stood behind it an sent me an entire linkage/shock bolt package for free. I know people like to rag on Specialized, but I have had nothing but positive results when dealing with them.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA

Sooo helpful man, thank you!

Yeah been combing through this forum and I spotted those posts about that incorrect torque value. Yikes. Thanks for the heads up though… I’d already forgotten:).

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I can confirm this. I torqued as per the manual and snapped the bolt. Specialized stood behind it an sent me an entire linkage/shock bolt package for free. I know people like to rag on Specialized, but I have had nothing but positive results when dealing with them.

Thats great that they stepped up. I had a loooong wait for a warranty enduro frame but it was the peak of covid shutdowns and spesh’s HQ was also smack dab in the middle of a wildfire here in CA. Good to hear things are improving.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
I passed over my fox hardware no problem. Did struggle getting lower eyelet to squeeze between the spacers. Seems like ext was fractionally wider and not rounded like the fox was. I sanded the spacers a tiny bit to get clearance.

This is SUPER helpful. So I’ll order with no DU bushings and no hardware kit and swap over the Fox stuff (with a little sandpaper massage). Thank you!

Andres_Mora

Oct 28, 2021
US
My KSL as it stands, happy to answer any questions. In retrospect I should have gone for the comp instead of expert but o well.

Changed fork and shock. I like a heavily damped ride and the fox stuff is on the extremely light side. Am much happier with the mezzer/Estoria setup for my prefferences. Springs ext sent are on soft side though so waiting on stiffer springs. 180mm from, 65mm stroke rear. Suspension ran stiff so bike rides like 150mm bike would with extra in reserve for big hits.

I like narrower (like the tire profile it gives) and compliant (160lb rider) rims so built up a set of Newmen SL XA 25mm internal with laser spokes. Running cushcore.

Also using horizon saddle which has a crazy low stack height with one up dropper which let me fit a 150mm w/ my short 28" inseam.

It's a great bike
20211129_120648~2.jpg
View attachment 77189

boylagz

Nov 13, 2021
jcgo1985
Initially wasn't too stoked on the bigbird yellow but it's slowly growing on me. Psyched on this. Changed some parts, need a 150 axs dropper, 170 just a tad long for a 30in inseam in an S3.

PXL_20211124_004604989.jpg

Question: Has anyone fitted a Kitsuma coil in an S3 or smaller frame? From the looks of the Kitsuma shock seems like its piggyback rez is longer than a Float X2 so I'm pretty doubtful itll fit. Just wanted to know if anyone's tried this shock in their ksl. Cheers.

Last edited:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
New frameset is in the throes of assembly. This one is a challenge for sure. They have packaged more into less space on this thing - amazing but a lot of work routing stuff.

God help me… am I going to need to pull the motor AND the battery just to run the rear brake line?! Spesh included a Dropper housing already routed but couldn’t be bothered with running something for the rear brake. Please shoot me LOL

EDIT: Routing the rear brake required pulling the motor, shock, and fork but not the battery as there is a wide-mouth carbon channel running just above the battery that you could BARELY get the hose into. Lawdy what a time sink but so far so good. Pics when she’s up and running.

Last edited:

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Ugh. Finally finished building up the frameset and turned ‘er on only to be met with an “update firmware - 15mph 🐢”.

Sounds like this is a dealer-only thing. Why TF did they let me walk out the door without doing this? Now I’ve got to burn another half-day driving back to the dealer.

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Update:

-dealer didn’t update firmware

-Screen says “motor error”

-Fox X2 shock is stuck down from factory

So much anticipation for this bike and such an incredibly shitty first experience. I’m sure it will eventually knock my socks off, but so far they are very much on (with garters).

In short, “Waaaaa waaaaaa waaaaa.”

i’m sure it’ll all get sorted.

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
My suspension guru (Ryan at Fluid Focus ) was going over my x2 today as it seems to have been slowly leaking air. He found a few things :

Rear pivot bolt had loosened (yes, it was torqued correctly when I last checked) Which caused a seal to deteriorate leading to the leak.

Unrelated apparently the rebound circuit is doing nothing. And the LSR adjustment doesn’t do anything. That will be investigated and hopefully corrected on Monday.

Moral of the story: for those underwhelmed with the stock performance x2, might not be functioning correctly. I will report back when I have time on the fixed setup

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
Update:

-dealer didn’t update firmware

-Screen says “motor error”

-Fox X2 shock is stuck down from factory

So much anticipation for this bike and such an incredibly shitty first experience. I’m sure it will eventually knock my socks off, but so far they are very much on (with garters).

In short, “Waaaaa waaaaaa waaaaa.”

i’m sure it’ll all get sorted.

So motor all sorted after a trip to the dealer. Apparently it needs a magnet on the rotor to function(?). Who knew… steep eeb learning curve ;).

Factory X2 functioning almost normally as well now. Rebound circuits slow things to a tortoise pace when set to the recommended 1 click (push it down and wait 30s for it to re-extend). Running more clicks makes it rideable. Hopefully it’ll work decently until the EXT shows up.

If anyone here in the 200+ lb club has recommendations for X2 settings I’d be stoked to hear what’s working for you. As it stands I’ve either got a lemon shock or the suspension recommendations on the specialized tuning app are pretty far off.

Here’s a crap pic of the beautiful problem child:

E2BDD829-DD9B-4410-9316-FEC6C94231FD.jpeg

Zeb, X2 Factory (E-Storia incoming), DHR-Evos, AXS, OneUp (210mm), Nobl TR41s / DT240s, Cushcore (rear only)

Can’t wait to ride it…

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
So motor all sorted after a trip to the dealer. Apparently it needs a magnet on the rotor to function(?). Who knew… steep eeb learning curve ;).

Factory X2 functioning almost normally as well now. Rebound circuits slow things to a tortoise pace when set to the recommended 1 click (push it down and wait 30s for it to re-extend). Running more clicks makes it rideable. Hopefully it’ll work decently until the EXT shows up.

If anyone here in the 200+ lb club has recommendations for X2 settings I’d be stoked to hear what’s working for you. As it stands I’ve either got a lemon shock or the suspension recommendations on the specialized tuning app are pretty far off.

Here’s a crap pic of the beautiful problem child:

View attachment 77383

Zeb, X2 Factory (E-Storia incoming), DHR-Evos, AXS, OneUp (210mm), Nobl TR41s / DT240s, Cushcore (rear only)

Can’t wait to ride it…

High price for S-Works sticker.
Buying Comp and swapping components the way to go IMO. Frames are the same.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
My suspension guru (Ryan at Fluid Focus ) was going over my x2 today as it seems to have been slowly leaking air. He found a few things :

Rear pivot bolt had loosened (yes, it was torqued correctly when I last checked) Which caused a seal to deteriorate leading to the leak.

Unrelated apparently the rebound circuit is doing nothing. And the LSR adjustment doesn’t do anything. That will be investigated and hopefully corrected on Monday.

Moral of the story: for those underwhelmed with the stock performance x2, might not be functioning correctly. I will report back when I have time on the fixed setup
Which pivot bolt?

Can you get Fox to warranty the shock and replace with a factory model? That would be the best fix imo to get as close as possible on a standard shock to a good tune (unless Ryan can modfy the elite model to function correctly with better LSC/HSC control).

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA
High price for S-Works sticker.
Buying Comp and swapping components the way to go IMO. Frames are the same.

Bunch of cheap parts to unload and no range extender. Pass. Could GAF about sworks. Wish they skipped the supergraphics but you get what you get.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles