Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Anyone fitted a DVO Jade X to a KenSL?

Just so we're clear, the correct answer is not "just fit a 150 OneUp post"... :ROFLMAO:
Yes...FYI it's for sale as I have another shock
Jade X.jpg

Last edited:

Andres_Mora

Oct 28, 2021
US
A little guide for those that are looking to get every mm of dropper post length/clearance.

In order of impact/importance:

1. Get a oneup dropper post, it's always the answer ;)
2. AT YOUR OWN RISK - Use a 31.6 diameter dropper instead of 34.9. This lets you get past the reamed seat tube safety limit and bottom out on the cable/bottom of post. If you sit on your seat with seatpost clamp lose you can theoretically BREAK YOUR FRAME.
3. Look for a low stack saddle. SQ Lab and Nukeproof horizon are good for this.
4. Shorter cranks
5. If you still need another 5mm, change the end cap on cable housing at bottom of seatpost with a plastic one cut in half, will let you smoosh cable down that tiny bit further vs a full length metal one. Cable housing will be bent/mangled but still work fine =P.

With these modifications I was able to fit a 150mm one up on my s3 for my ~28" inseam. ~65mm clamp to rails.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
A little guide for those that are looking to get every mm of dropper post length/clearance.

In order of impact/importance:

1. Get a oneup dropper post, it's always the answer ;)
2. AT YOUR OWN RISK - Use a 31.6 diameter dropper instead of 34.9. This lets you get past the reamed seat tube safety limit and bottom out on the cable/bottom of post. If you sit on your seat with seatpost clamp lose you can theoretically BREAK YOUR FRAME.
3. Look for a low stack saddle. SQ Lab and Nukeproof horizon are good for this.
4. Shorter cranks
5. If you still need another 5mm, change the end cap on cable housing at bottom of seatpost with a plastic one cut in half, will let you smoosh cable down that tiny bit further vs a full length metal one. Cable housing will be bent/mangled but still work fine =P.

With these modifications I was able to fit a 150mm one up on my s3 for my ~28" inseam. ~65mm clamp to rails.
How much more mm do u think u gain using a 31.6 post? Do u know the insertion max on a s4? Appreciate your post!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I like gen1 and 3 (y) Now if they will make a gen3 with big power that would be my next purchase
I’ve loved them all to be honest. The Gen 1 is my original one and is still going strong!
Gen 2 was definitely an upgrade on the dh stuff and Gen 3 is just fun everywhere. Sure it doesn’t have the power of the ff but it feels more like a real bike but me with big legs! It also eats up gravity like a pro!

I got 25.4km and 700m vert with 70% battery left (range extender + main starts at 150%) so just over half usage. Thats full turbo 100/100, bike weight at 20.5kg, me at 77kg.
I love this bike!

They would only have to bump the power up 10nm if they did. As it is its climbs fine on anything steep, there are just a few times I have desired that extra boost to get up a rock face or a super steep pinch climb, otherwise I haven’t really missed the power. I have ridden a ff once since owning sl’s and definitely didn’t miss that extra weight.

North Shore Taxi

Nov 3, 2021
Austria
When you put Turbo mode setting 80/100 feels neary the same but saves you extra percentage of watthours. On a 150% battery this can do extra 300m vertclimb.
Also dont forget to change the front chainring to 30 teeth for extrasavings👍, the serial 32 is a pain.

Last edited:

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA
I’ve loved them all to be honest. The Gen 1 is my original one and is still going strong!
Gen 2 was definitely an upgrade on the dh stuff and Gen 3 is just fun everywhere. Sure it doesn’t have the power of the ff but it feels more like a real bike but me with big legs! It also eats up gravity like a pro!

I got 25.4km and 700m vert with 70% battery left (range extender + main starts at 150%) so just over half usage. Thats full turbo 100/100, bike weight at 20.5kg, me at 77kg.
I love this bike!

They would only have to bump the power up 10nm if they did. As it is its climbs fine on anything steep, there are just a few times I have desired that extra boost to get up a rock face or a super steep pinch climb, otherwise I haven’t really missed the power. I have ridden a ff once since owning sl’s and definitely didn’t miss that extra weight.
Being 65 years young I need a little more than 30 Nm :unsure:

Andres_Mora

Oct 28, 2021
US
How much more mm do u think u gain using a 31.6 post? Do u know the insertion max on a s4? Appreciate your post!
Didn't check before and after unfortunately but you might be able to figure it out with my final rail to collar measurement w/ the 150mm one-up.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Still waiting for my comp model to get delivered. Plans to swap brakes to Shimano saints. Does the kenevo sl have full length cable housing guides internally, or do I need to use a straighted coat hanger as a guide?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Well your in luck as it has 35nm 🤣

Have you ridden an SL yet? It not you may be surprised with it’s power.
I would be nice though to have a little extra in reserve. I am still hopeful Specialized are holding back for a future update.
@Doomanic has the body of a 65 year old and the mind of a 95 year old and he seems to like the ones he's ridden so far, or he thinks he did.

Dfriz

Mar 16, 2018
USA
Well your in luck as it has 35nm 🤣

Have you ridden an SL yet? It not you may be surprised with it’s power.
I would be nice though to have a little extra in reserve. I am still hopeful Specialized are holding back for a future update.
My Bad no substitute for more power

Reactions: CjP

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
So, as the dhx2 won't fit our KSLs.. Anyone tried the Öhlins TTX(22M) Coil @230x65?

I can‘t confirm this. Just tried my DHX2 MY2021 on my S4 frame without the spring. No interferences. Everything seems to work just fine. It’s a 230x65 shock. I hope it‘ll work with the spring as well. Reaching HSR knob will be PITA, though.

Picture at full compression.

IMG_0343.jpg

Last edited:

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
X2 factory 230x65 MY 2022 fits my S4 frame as well. Weight difference to DHX2 MY 2021 with 550 SLS spring approximately 250 g.
Cool. Still waiting for my s4. Called my local bike shop it was getting delivered too and found out when they were assembling it they found excessive play in the bottom bracket and need to do a warranty claim on it. Real bummed as I've yet to even see my bike and it's already having issues. They had no idea how long the warranty process would take either.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Quick update:

I know there is a zillion variables when it comes to "bike balance" (terrain, %grade, suspension setup, preferences, riding position, etc), but I find it fairly typical that I will use a lot more travel in the rear vs the front (see: o-rings - this trail is fairly rough, a couple of med jump, rock rolls and generally steep-ish). Sag is appropriate as are my compression and rebound settings. I have one volume spacer in the X2 and stock tokens in the 38. I just find that the X2 doesn't have as much support or "reactive-ness" that I would prefer.

I could add more air to the rear, but I like the sensitivity especially given the steeper, rougher terrain I usually find myself in. I tend to ride this bike fairly aggressively with weight over the front - so the rear is lighter and needs that off the top suppleness. Same would apply to adding more LSC in my scenarios. Front end has great mid-strokes, but I rarely use all of the travel. I think I did once at the bike park where I overshot a drop. It was pretty violent and had me missing the HBO on my mezzer in that instance.

I could add another volume spacer, but I think that may exacerbate what I am experiencing to some extent other than more bottom out support.

Keep in mind I would say that overall suspension performance is like 8.5-9/10 on the front and 8/10 on the rear. Pretty darn good, but I am getting comfortable enough to know where there could be improvements. This is probably just a monologue to myself to buy a coil lol. Curious what others are finding

IMG_9543.JPG

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Quick update:

I know there is a zillion variables when it comes to "bike balance" (terrain, %grade, suspension setup, preferences, riding position, etc), but I find it fairly typical that I will use a lot more travel in the rear vs the front (see: o-rings - this trail is fairly rough, a couple of med jump, rock rolls and generally steep-ish). Sag is appropriate as are my compression and rebound settings. I have one volume spacer in the X2 and stock tokens in the 38. I just find that the X2 doesn't have as much support or "reactive-ness" that I would prefer.

I could add more air to the rear, but I like the sensitivity especially given the steeper, rougher terrain I usually find myself in. I tend to ride this bike fairly aggressively with weight over the front - so the rear is lighter and needs that off the top suppleness. Same would apply to adding more LSC in my scenarios. Front end has great mid-strokes, but I rarely use all of the travel. I think I did once at the bike park where I overshot a drop. It was pretty violent and had me missing the HBO on my mezzer in that instance.

I could add another volume spacer, but I think that may exacerbate what I am experiencing to some extent other than more bottom out support.

Keep in mind I would say that overall suspension performance is like 8.5-9/10 on the front and 8/10 on the rear. Pretty darn good, but I am getting comfortable enough to know where there could be improvements. This is probably just a monologue to myself to buy a coil lol. Curious what others are finding

View attachment 75804
What I would do...remove the X2 and sell.

If wanting to stay with an air shock get the Ohlins TTX2 air. This shock is much more reactive yet much more controlled than the X2. I got to the same point with the X2 where I needed/wanted more support but when I added air I lost way too much compliance...when I reduced the pressure the mid stroke was soggy and unsupportive. The HSC in the X2 Performance is also out of whack. The Ohlins gave me exactly what the Fox could not.

Or go to a coil. Prior to trying the Ohlins this would be my default. Now after fitting the Ohlins (it takes a bit of tinkering getting it set up well btw) the coil is much less of a need/desire. In saying that I do have two coils for my KSL. The DVO Jade X is a good, simple coil and with the progressive spring works well (minimal damping in it so relies on spring a lot). I find the damping to be a little mismatched so it can be set up well for bigger stuff which makes the smaller stuff rougher or set up great for the smaller stuff but becomes a little lively on the bigger stuff. Not a huge compromise but it is noticeable.

My other coil is the Push 11.6. Beautiful to look at but this has had issues from day one..if ridden aggressively it felt rough and erratic basically. It has potential to be great but there are issues with this shock that could be better and out of the box and right now I would not recommend it. To try and rectify this shock it is getting opened up and modified to function better. I'll report back when it is finished.

I would be curious to try a Kitsuma coil in the KSL (if it fits) as it has such a huge range of adjustment so getting to a close to ideal tune is more likely. That would be my worry with EXT as in my experience what they think is ideal can be a little left field.

My fork now has a Luftkappe in it with no tokens. I did have the Smashpot but it was too heavy plus that liner I believe is adding friction that can be felt through the hands on long days so I went back to full air and haven't looked back. I'm up to about 107psi @ 88kg and the fork feels great (a Fox fork feeling great....who knew!). Dialing it in is tricky getting the HSR/LSR balance right. Every damper seems to produce different results (according to Dougal @ Shockcraft in NZ) so he has set mine up on a dyno and even had to manufacture parts to get my damper to function within a useable range. Bushing burnished. Now I can't really complain about this fork at all. Holds up in its stroke super well on steeps but is still compliant enough to generate bulk grip. No hand pain so far on anything. No CSU creaking yet either.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
What I would do...remove the X2 and sell.

If wanting to stay with an air shock get the Ohlins TTX2 air. This shock is much more reactive yet much more controlled than the X2. I got to the same point with the X2 where I needed/wanted more support but when I added air I lost way too much compliance...when I reduced the pressure the mid stroke was soggy and unsupportive. The HSC in the X2 Performance is also out of whack. The Ohlins gave me exactly what the Fox could not.

Or go to a coil. Prior to trying the Ohlins this would be my default. Now after fitting the Ohlins (it takes a bit of tinkering getting it set up well btw) the coil is much less of a need/desire. In saying that I do have two coils for my KSL. The DVO Jade X is a good, simple coil and with the progressive spring works well (minimal damping in it so relies on spring a lot). I find the damping to be a little mismatched so it can be set up well for bigger stuff which makes the smaller stuff rougher or set up great for the smaller stuff but becomes a little lively on the bigger stuff. Not a huge compromise but it is noticeable.

My other coil is the Push 11.6. Beautiful to look at but this has had issues from day one..if ridden aggressively it felt rough and erratic basically. It has potential to be great but there are issues with this shock that could be better and out of the box and right now I would not recommend it. To try and rectify this shock it is getting opened up and modified to function better. I'll report back when it is finished.

I would be curious to try a Kitsuma coil in the KSL (if it fits) as it has such a huge range of adjustment so getting to a close to ideal tune is more likely. That would be my worry with EXT as in my experience what they think is ideal can be a little left field.

My fork now has a Luftkappe in it with no tokens. I did have the Smashpot but it was too heavy plus that liner I believe is adding friction that can be felt through the hands on long days so I went back to full air and haven't looked back. I'm up to about 107psi @ 88kg and the fork feels great (a Fox fork feeling great....who knew!). Dialing it in is tricky getting the HSR/LSR balance right. Every damper seems to produce different results (according to Dougal @ Shockcraft in NZ) so he has set mine up on a dyno and even had to manufacture parts to get my damper to function within a useable range. Bushing burnished. Now I can't really complain about this fork at all. Holds up in its stroke super well on steeps but is still compliant enough to generate bulk grip. No hand pain so far on anything. No CSU creaking yet either.
Nice feedback. Yeah the Ohlins is on the list for sure. I want to hear some results from the folks running the E-Storia to see if they have improved some of the minor issues that EXT has been known for - primarily, not as sensitive as other coils in certain setups.

Push is off the list atm until I hear of better reports.

@ebikerider If you don't mind me asking, what type of terrain are you generally riding?

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Nice feedback. Yeah the Ohlins is on the list for sure. I want to hear some results from the folks running the E-Storia to see if they have improved some of the minor issues that EXT has been known for - primarily, not as sensitive as other coils in certain setups.

Push is off the list atm until I hear of better reports.

@ebikerider If you don't mind me asking, what type of terrain are you generally riding?
My general go to trails (winch and plummet style) are steep with a combination of loose rock, chunky rock gardens and hardpack with steep ruts into catch berms. Here I'll run the LSC on the fork closed. Fork needs to have a good midstroke to allow the rear to grip but still be able to have enough compliance left for the rock hits braking into corners.

We have a had a bit of rain recently and quite a few new trails pop up so I've also been loving the loam for a change. So much grip instead of blowing dust clouds thru corners but this isn't the norm in Aus.

Other trails are generally hardpack with plenty of rock of varying size and shape. Good opportunity to keep it pinned here and the trail can generate quite a bit of chatter so having well set up and balanced suspension here is critical or you get bounced off line at speed.

roQer

Jun 29, 2019
Ludwigshafen am Rhein
First time with the after market X2 230x65 MY 2022 on my KSL Comp frame. Great improvement over the shitty stock Performance X shock.
Is working pretty well on the bike. Actually I don’t feel the urgency to switch over to coil. Bike feels pretty poppy and responsive. Had DHX2 on my Decoy and like the feel of X2 on KSL better. One day I might try the DHX2 on KSL, although as with Enduro I think the suspension kinematic suits an air shock better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles