Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
F1FA1307-A400-4DE1-913F-C8EC2E2E37A6.jpeg

Richwales96

Apr 23, 2021
Wales
Ended up having to remove motor just to get the cable moving and see what was going on. Turned the actuator at the bottom of the seat post 90 deg in order to get a better line for the outer. What a ball ache - but at least it’s sorted.

Last edited:

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Either kit will work, the 104BCD kit will have a suboptimal 52mm chain line and the Brose kit will have a chainring with the correct 55m chain line but the cranks will have the wrong offset!

Levo cranks have a custom offset, so if you choose to use the SRAM cranks you will end up with a wider Q-Factor. I rode the SRAM cranks for a while and they were fine but ended up running Praxis cranks in conjunction with the SRAM direct mount chainring (included in the Brose kit).

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I’m gonna install AXS currently although I am very interested in SRAM Transmission as well. But, my reality is I like customizing with colorful themes, and currently there is now Transmission option with a rainbow cassette and chain 😂
Sad but true

Would definitely like to try it out though. For now I’ll have to “settle” on AXS

D

Deleted member 7401

Either kit will work, the 104BCD kit will have a suboptimal 52mm chain line and the Brose kit will have a chainring with the correct 55m chain line but the cranks will have the wrong offset!

Levo cranks have a custom offset, so if you choose to use the SRAM cranks you will end up with a wider Q-Factor. I rode the SRAM cranks for a while and they were fine but ended up running Praxis cranks in conjunction with the SRAM direct mount chainring (included in the Brose kit).

Ok. So the optimal setup is the Brose kit with a different set of cranks?

Stoneilove

Jan 27, 2023
England
This 54T looks like a good mod, how well is it lasting for people? See that DT are doing hubs of 24T for e-bikes because of the increased torque so just wondering if these aren’t going to be strong enough?
Got the 54t upgrade and have put nearly 200 miles on it, derestricted Levo and its running beautifully.
Main thing with the upgrade kit is stay away from the fakes on Ebay that will fail extremely quickly.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Ok. So the optimal setup is the Brose kit with a different set of cranks?
From my experience, running the direct mount chainring (included in Brose kit or available separately) in conjunction with Levo specific cranks (Praxis, Hope etc.) gives the best setup.

One annoying thing I have discovered is that if you use a 36T chainring (included as part of both the 104BCD and Brose kit) the chain length recommended by SRAM varies based on the BB height; 120 links for Low and 118 for High. A 34T chainring uses the same chain length of 118 links for both low and high.

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
I was told by my dealer that the 104bcd kit is the proper kit for the Levo per SRAM….and more information and clarification will be released soon. ??
So, any news regards 104bcd or Brose ? 52mm or 55mm ?

Now i'm with 104bcd 36T and cannot put chain guide..
Who mount 36T confirm that it cannot be fitted with chianguide ?

Last edited:

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
A 104bcd chainring is not offset, the spider (or a spacer) is used to achieve the desired offset. As standard, the Levo runs a 52mm chainline.

The manual calls out that the chain guide should be removed if a 36t chaining is used. There are some adapters available that allow you to run the chain guide with larger chainrings.

1680886893532.png

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
From my experience, running the direct mount chainring (included in Brose kit or available separately) in conjunction with Levo specific cranks (Praxis, Hope etc.) gives the best setup.

One annoying thing I have discovered is that if you use a 36T chainring (included as part of both the 104BCD and Brose kit) the chain length recommended by SRAM varies based on the BB height; 120 links for Low and 118 for High. A 34T chainring uses the same chain length of 118 links for both low and high.
I installed a 36T today, I was in a rush and saw your post so simply just cut my new chain to 120 links, everything seemed to work out OK in the stock position. I'll have to flip the chip and see if a 118 length is really needed. I would imagine you could get by with maybe playing with the B tension.

A 104bcd chainring is not offset, the spider (or a spacer) is used to achieve the desired offset. As standard, the Levo runs a 52mm chainline.

The manual calls out that the chain guide should be removed if a 36t chaining is used. There are some adapters available that allow you to run the chain guide with larger chainrings.
When I installed my 36T today I didn't remove the factory chain guide and I had zero issues. it's on a sliding rail, I simply slid it up as high as it would go, tightened it down, and it looks just fine with enough clearance that I'm not worried at all.
@ruppia I think you'll be just fine, worked for me with no special modifications

Henrik

Oct 25, 2022
Germany
Did my first "real" run in the dry woods yesterday. Levo is floating. It´s so awesome that you can mange 1600hm of climbing with the stock trail mode. Awesome bike.
The guys in front of or behind me are all in their middle 50th years. Yiha.

Last edited:

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Btw, here’s a couple quick pics showing the stock chain guide with a 36T chainring.

It’s not touching the chain at all but I’ll probably remove one of the spacers/washers to bring it a tad inwards towards the frame so it’s more centered.
IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
Maybe consider getting rid of the chain guide ?
I have done 2.200 miles without - combined with both 36T and 38t chainring
Never lost a chain 😎
haha yeah to be honest, on my other bikes with the clutch derailleurs and a narrow/wide chainring, I'm fairly certain a chain guide isn't needed.
But, it's also not in the way, it fits without issues, so I'll just leave it or now.

But yes, I completely agree, most likely not needed :)

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
What is the weight difference between the 700 and 500wh battery?
Around 700 grams. I run both in my Gen 3, 500wh battery makes a noticeable difference to the handling.

I've got a brand new spare 500wh battery if anyone is looking for one at a good price...

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
I just ordered this piece of art:
I really think will be a great benefit for ammo

Reactions: trx

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Around 700 grams. I run both in my Gen 3, 500wh battery makes a noticeable difference to the handling.

I've got a brand new spare 500wh battery if anyone is looking for one at a good price...
What is the change in handing that you notice? I have the opportunity to buy a 500wh battery but got cold feet when everything I read leant towards it not making much of a difference so I'm interested to hear.

trx

Dec 5, 2022
Milan
I just ordered this piece of art:
I really think will be a great benefit for ammo
Interested to see how it performs, I might buy one too, you bought just one right?

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
Hey,

I am very tempted by the Orbea Wild (2023) but this upgraded Levo Pro Gen 3 popped up recently and it’s got me interested.

Would anyone mind commenting if it’s a good deal? Link

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hey,

I am very tempted by the Orbea Wild (2023) but this upgraded Levo Pro Gen 3 popped up recently and it’s got me interested.

Would anyone mind commenting if it’s a good deal? Link

Definitely do some research, it’s showing 20 charge cycles on the battery but only 17 miles on the odometer. My bike has just under 180 miles and I’m only on 6 charge cycles.

thewanted

Apr 2, 2023
UK
Definitely do some research, it’s showing 20 charge cycles on the battery but only 17 miles on the odometer. My bike has just under 180 miles and I’m only on 6 charge cycles.

I assume that’s because the motor was replaced recently.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Possibly derestricted??
I'm sure when I got one of my new motors the ODO went back to zero , can't remember if the battery charge cycles went to zero 🤟

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles