Levo Gen 3 Official Specialized Gen 3 2022 Levo Megathread!

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Specialized retail website has been down all day. I thinking they might be dropping some new models. My LBS has a new Model 2023 Levo Carbon which is basically the same as the Levo Alloy but with Carbon frame. Same 500wh battery as the base Levo but for $6,799. Wondering who thinks this is a pretty good deal? Also, what are experience with running a 500wh battery? Is it feasible to carry a spare 500wh battery? Does anyone do this?

SD_Levo

Jul 21, 2022
San Diego, CA
Specialized retail website has been down all day. I thinking they might be dropping some new models. My LBS has a new Model 2023 Levo Carbon which is basically the same as the Levo Alloy but with Carbon frame. Same 500wh battery as the base Levo but for $6,799. Wondering who thinks this is a pretty good deal? Also, what are experience with running a 500wh battery? Is it feasible to carry a spare 500wh battery? Does anyone do this?

That would be intriguing. I have a '22 Alloy base with the 500wh battery and had zero complaints about range. Most my rides were all turbo in the 20-25mi range. 180lbs and I beat the s^&* out of this bike. I ended rides with plenty of range left. I found a weight weeny with an s-works that wanted to trade for his 700wh battery so I've been rocking the 700wh battery for a couple months now just because it was nearly free. Honestly...I feel like for my use case I'm just dragging around another 1.8lbs of battery for no reason. The carbon + 500 would be a sweet combo for $6,799 IMO

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
Yup, the Specialized site is back up and the new “Turbo Levo” just dropped. Carbon frame 500wh $6800.

they also pulled the Enduro. Update likely coming soon.

Last edited:

ruppia

Dec 14, 2020
Italy
Salve a tutti! Chissà se è normale che la mia Fox X2 stia per entrare in servizio per la quarta volta! Non ne posso più! Ho avuto più problemi con questo shock che con qualsiasi altro View attachment 94605

There is some post regards this topic, i had the same problem in the past end change it with a coil shock

Of course you must ask for assistance and use warranty if you have

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Don't suppose anyone's replaced the bearings on a gen 3 yet?

The lower chainstay bearings that sit next to the motor (the 2 larger bearings in the entire set). How do I press them out with the internal routing pipes being in the way? It's a motor out job but can't get the bearing removal plates to sit flush because of the routing pipes.

If you've done it you'll know what I mean

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Just out of curiosity, I weighed a friend's new Turbo Levo Expert carbon, in size S3, with original tires, and no-puncture liquid, one tire insert in the rear "andreani supermousse" weighing 180 grams and the saint spd m821 pedals weighing 550 grams , on the scale marks 23.50 kg .

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
Hey guys, figured I'd ask my noob Qs here instead of making a separate thread: can I switch the front wheel to a 27.5, and what would happen if I do? I heard more pedal strikes - seems like I'd lose ~ [2" from front diameter assuming tire is roughly same kind], divided by [2 assuming BB is roughly halfway between front and rear axles (but really it's closer to the rear axle)] - so lose less than 1" in BB height.

But aside from that?

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hey guys, figured I'd ask my noob Qs here instead of making a separate thread: can I switch the front wheel to a 27.5, and what would happen if I do? I heard more pedal strikes - seems like I'd lose ~ [2" from front diameter assuming tire is roughly same kind], divided by [2 assuming BB is roughly halfway between front and rear axles (but really it's closer to the rear axle)] - so lose less than 1" in BB height.

But aside from that?
why? I understand that we are never happy, there is someone who has mounted a pair of 29 wheels, on a mullet bike, someone else with the 29er, wants to make it mullet, you are the first that I feel that he wants the 27.5 wheel also in front ... .

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
why? I understand that we are never happy, there is someone who has mounted a pair of 29 wheels, on a mullet bike, someone else with the 29er, wants to make it mullet, you are the first that I feel that he wants the 27.5 wheel also in front ... .
Dunno. I'm short, I like 27.5. I also tend to ride bikes smaller than sizing suggestions. I'm barely 5'8 and riding an S2. 29 feels huge especially with those fat tires. Wondering how much better it would feel. I love my Cube 27.5 small hardtail. Just wondering if there would be other problems.

Also what measurements would I need to know if the front wheel off my hardtail would fit on the Levo? I guess the rotor might be a problem...

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Dunno. I'm short, I like 27.5. I also tend to ride bikes smaller than sizing suggestions. I'm barely 5'8 and riding an S2. 29 feels huge especially with those fat tires. Wondering how much better it would feel. I love my Cube 27.5 small hardtail. Just wondering if there would be other problems.

Also what measurements would I need to know if the front wheel off my hardtail would fit on the Levo? I guess the rotor might be a problem...
I have had bikes and e-bikes, with all formats, I am 165 cm ( 5'5 ) and I have always used small bikes and I consider the mullet format, for me, the best, for the stability and safety of the 29 front wheel accompanied by the handling of the 27.5 rear wheel that allows you to spin faster than a 29 rear wheel, my TL is S2 size.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William

I’m 5’6 with the S2 also, it feels pretty damn good to me. Is this your first time with a 29er wheel? It does take a little getting used to, they feel odd at first.This is my first mullet bike and now I’m trying to see if it’s feasible to make my SB130 a mullet too.

turbolego

Aug 5, 2022
Chico
Ya know what guys, I just did a fast night ride up and down the local rock garden and I really can't complain. I love this thing. I recently got a commuter style ebike and was transiently considering selling this, but there's no way - I've never experienced a bike so forgiving on rocky terrain. (Also never had a 29er or a full suspension...) It reminds me of the time I owned a dirtbike - a CRF250L. Cushy ride on terrain that I would otherwise feel I have no business riding on.

So forget I said anything about changing out the front. That is no longer an itch I need to scratch... for now. Though I think if I was 5'5 I'd probably have gone to an S1!

On the other hand, this 20 mph restriction is really bumming me out. I'll have to order a planet3 derestrictor. It's no fun bumping up against that limit on the few flowy parts we have.

The other thing I realized today is that I was focusing too much on limiting how much support I am using, so much so that it wasn't as fun. I work a lot harder when I'm having fun, so today I just did the whole ride on turbo, and ended up putting a lot more in than I do when I'm trying to limit it to Eco. Also, it seems silly to me that eco is by default limited to 35% peak power. I changed the settings so that Eco is 25% support and trail is 50% support, but peak power is always 100%. That way, there is an incentive to work hard to get to max power. Thoughts?

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
I’m looking to buy a 2022 Comp Alloy Cobalt blue, do any owners know if BLEvo works with (to remove speed restrictor) if not how east is this bike to detest EICR and what do I need?
I think the cobalt blue alloy has the TCU1(No LCD) so not sure if that helps.

Also the new 2023 Carbon is basically the same price and the Alloy Comp, it had TCU2 (LCD) is this easy to derestrict?

What’s the last possible bike I can de restrict simply using the BLEvo app with no external extras?
Thanks

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I’m pretty sure Blevo does not derestrict the speed limit of the Levo regardless of model. You need the Levociraptor for that. Then you need the basic non LCD TCU to use Blevo Smart functions. If you don’t want Blevo power programming and only want data collection and or display features you can use it with the Mastermind TCU. Pretty sure the Levociraptor works with the Mastermind but you just won’t get the Blevo Smart Power/HR features.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
I’m looking to buy a 2022 Comp Alloy Cobalt blue, do any owners know if BLEvo works with (to remove speed restrictor) if not how east is this bike to detest EICR and what do I need?
Go for BikeSpeed RS - Shows the Real Speed and distance in TCU or App - Others shows incorrect speed and range.

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
Fairly certain you need Levociraptor with any 2022 but BLEvo will work with the Comp Alloy because it has the TCU computer versus the new Mastermind. I had a Comp Alloy a few months ago and had BLEvo working with Levociraptor and it worked.
Good to know, thanks for that.
I also noticed they are listing a new 2023 Carbon Levo for £6250 which is actually cheaper than the 2022 Comp Alloy? Any ideas which would be the better buy?

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
I’m pretty sure Blevo does not derestrict the speed limit of the Levo regardless of model. You need the Levociraptor for that. Then you need the basic non LCD TCU to use Blevo Smart functions. If you don’t want Blevo power programming and only want data collection and or display features you can use it with the Mastermind TCU. Pretty sure the Levociraptor works with the Mastermind but you just won’t get the Blevo Smart Power/HR features.
It de-restricts the 2018 models straight from the app with no extras required, just wondering when exactly BLEvo stopped doing that or if the 2018s are unicorns in that respect, which it looks like they are.
Is there a concensus on what de restrictor is best for the 2022s?

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
Go for BikeSpeed RS - Shows the Real Speed and distance in TCU or App - Others shows incorrect speed and range.
Thanks,
I’ll have a look at levociraptor and BikeSpeed, do you recommend bike speed over levociraptor and if so, why?

IronScott

Oct 19, 2021
NW Arkansas
Good to know, thanks for that.
I also noticed they are listing a new 2023 Carbon Levo for £6250 which is actually cheaper than the 2022 Comp Alloy? Any ideas which would be the better buy?

I sold my Comp Alloy because the size felt too small and just looked at this new one. I think in the right situation it’s a good buy but for me I need the larger battery, which is $1,300 USD. That puts it just $900 below the Comp Carbon, which gives you a much better parts package plus the Mastermind computer. So, for me it wasn’t a great buy but in the right situation it’s pretty decent, especially if you want to do a custom build since the frame is the same as the S-Works (I think).

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
I sold my Comp Alloy because the size felt too small and just looked at this new one. I think in the right situation it’s a good buy but for me I need the larger battery, which is $1,300 USD. That puts it just $900 below the Comp Carbon, which gives you a much better parts package plus the Mastermind computer. So, for me it wasn’t a great buy but in the right situation it’s pretty decent, especially if you want to do a custom build since the frame is the same as the S-Works (I think).

Yea I completely understand, may as well jump to the comp Carbon if the difference in price isn’t much and you lose the larger battery.
I’ve never upgraded my bike as I feel the 2018 range were priced perfectly, since then I just haven’t liked the pricing and the gaps in spec/price and performance.

I’ll have a look at the comp Carbon and see what prices I can find, have you seen any good deals on it?

IronScott

Oct 19, 2021
NW Arkansas
Yea I completely understand, may as well jump to the comp Carbon if the difference in price isn’t much and you lose the larger battery.
I’ve never upgraded my bike as I feel the 2018 range were priced perfectly, since then I just haven’t liked the pricing and the gaps in spec/price and performance.

I’ll have a look at the comp Carbon and see what prices I can find, have you seen any good deals on it?

None that I’ve seen. My dealer had two in my size and a few others and Specialized shows inventory on the website. They are easy to get here in the US so I can’t see them being discounted anytime soon, except maybe some one-off dealer deals. Having had both alloy and carbon comp models I will say that the 4+ pound weight difference and the Mastermind unit make the carbon a much better buy for me personally.

The weight may not be very noticeable for pure riding but it is for just moving the bike around by hand whenever needed.

I really like the Mastermind a lot more than the TCU. I tried BLEvo with the alloy and just didn’t really get on with it. If it was more customizable on iPhones perhaps I would’ve liked it better.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
No idea about 2018’s.
also only researched the Levociraptor. One reported feature of the Levociraptor is significantly increased response time for support to kick in when needed. This combined with the Blevo Smart power is reportedly very slick. Even on Mastermind equipped bikes this is reportedly a nice improvement. I say reportedly because I have not tested a Levociraptor bike.
The new Levo Carbon is pretty compelling at that price point. Especially if you compare it to the SW Frameset. If you sold the whole stock kit which is pretty weak and built it up custom it would be a fair bit less than if you did so with the SW frame as a base. (Only difference in frames is the shock and alloy cranks at about 100g more weight which is nothing on an ebike)
Also, for me anyways it comes with the Base TCU which works with Blevo. Blevo is such a game changer that I would not consider any bike that doesn’t have that functionality. So if I got an Mastermind frame I’d downgrade the TCU to get it. If Blevo or something similar worked on other ebike motors I’d probably be riding the much cheaper and very well equipped YT Decoy right now.

Frank_Denmark

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Dec 17, 2018
Denmark
Thanks,
I’ll have a look at levociraptor and BikeSpeed, do you recommend bike speed over levociraptor and if so, why?
Bike Speed shows real speed, distance and range.
You can get your own private code to engage the system
It's can be set to always start as derestricted when bike has been turned off
Remember to only use it on your private land...

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I have the new 2023 Turbo Levo Carbon on order. Hoping to find someone who wants to swap my 500wh battery for a 700wh battery. If not it will probably be in the for sale forum soon.

whwv

Dec 29, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Motor failed on my gen 3 levo pro last Saturday. It’s under warranty, Specialized was quick to authorize the repair, and LBS should have it ready by Tuesday. I was hoping the motor reliability issues were fixed but guess not. About 3800 miles and 850,000’ of climbing on it.

At least the repair has gone very smooth and hopefully new motor will be a bit more resilient.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Well shucks, 2022 levo S Works was working beautifully until now, six months in use, but the X2 fox shock will no longer hold air. I have read of this happening to others. Didn't think it would happen to me weighing only 155 pounds fully kitted out, but I do ride aggressively. Still disappointed. Immediately ordered a cheap temporary shock so I can keep riding when it gets sent in for warranty work. How common is this? Others have said it is due to the design of the frame which flexes at the shock attachment points. Wondering if this is common knowledge?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Well shucks, 2022 levo S Works was working beautifully until now, six months in use, but the X2 fox shock will no longer hold air. I have read of this happening to others. Didn't think it would happen to me weighing only 155 pounds fully kitted out, but I do ride aggressively. Still disappointed. Immediately ordered a cheap temporary shock so I can keep riding when it gets sent in for warranty work. How common is this? Others have said it is due to the design of the frame which flexes at the shock attachment points. Wondering if this is common knowledge?
I don’t think it’s the frame at all, it’s just the 2021+ Fox X2. I blew one up on my SB150 after about a month of riding, blew another one up on my new SB130 and the one on my Levo is already making a weird noise with 53 miles on it. I had the older version on a few other bikes without issues including my old SB130.

whwv

Dec 29, 2021
Bay Area, CA

Yes, fairly common. Mine lasted 6 months. Swapped to a coil (11-6) and it’s so much better. No issues now.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles