Kenevo SL Official 2022 Kenevo SL (KSL) Megathread!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Finished my KSL build on Sunday and took it out for a few brief rides around the neighborhood. I ran into two issues I wonder if anyone else has encountered and solved:

1) Headset cover stays stationary instead of rotating with the fork. This causes the lower spacers to grind against the stem as you steer. Everything is installed exactly as the manual depicts. Flipping the cover upside down fixed the issue, but it seems ridiculous and probably isn't the best solution for minimizing dust ingress over time. Specialized Rider Care wasn't happy and asked me to take it to a dealer.

2) On my fourth or fifth ride, the bike started making constant noise from the crank area whenever I pedal with the motor off. It's usually a high-pitched whine but sometimes shifts to a mid-pitch howl. The sound immediately stops whenever the power comes on. I can see that the spider rotates around a motor-driven shaft, and that shaft stays still when the power is off. I'm sure the sound is coming from some kind of rubbing in the interface between these two parts. This being an SL bike and all, there are a lot of times and places where there's just no need to turn on the power at all. I haven't had the chance to pull the spider yet since I couldn't figure out how to remove the retaining ring straight away. I'm having the dealer look at it since it's already in for the headset cover issue, but they're already trying to give me the excuse that that's normal. I called BS on that since it was perfectly quiet for the first few rides. Has anyone found a suitable lubricant to keep it quiet?
My bike is whisper quiet when I ride with the motor off, something is definitely wrong. Do not take their bullshit excuse.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
Finished my KSL build on Sunday and took it out for a few brief rides around the neighborhood. I ran into two issues I wonder if anyone else has encountered and solved:

1) Headset cover stays stationary instead of rotating with the fork. This causes the lower spacers to grind against the stem as you steer. Everything is installed exactly as the manual depicts. Flipping the cover upside down fixed the issue, but it seems ridiculous and probably isn't the best solution for minimizing dust ingress over time. Specialized Rider Care wasn't happy and asked me to take it to a dealer.

2) On my fourth or fifth ride, the bike started making constant noise from the crank area whenever I pedal with the motor off. It's usually a high-pitched whine but sometimes shifts to a mid-pitch howl. The sound immediately stops whenever the power comes on. I can see that the spider rotates around a motor-driven shaft, and that shaft stays still when the power is off. I'm sure the sound is coming from some kind of rubbing in the interface between these two parts. This being an SL bike and all, there are a lot of times and places where there's just no need to turn on the power at all. I haven't had the chance to pull the spider yet since I couldn't figure out how to remove the retaining ring straight away. I'm having the dealer look at it since it's already in for the headset cover issue, but they're already trying to give me the excuse that that's normal. I called BS on that since it was perfectly quiet for the first few rides. Has anyone found a suitable lubricant to keep it quiet?
I had this problem when I first put my bike together. There is a thin metal washer that comes in the box of parts included with the bike. I found If I didn’t install the washer under the headset cap, the cap tightens against the top of the head tube. This washer lifted the cap just enough to stop the binding. The same washer was included with my Stumpjumper Evo, but I did not need to use it on that bike. Hopefully this helps solve your problem.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I had this problem when I first put my bike together. There is a thin metal washer that comes in the box of parts included with the bike. I found If I didn’t install the washer under the headset cap, the cap tightens against the top of the head tube. This washer lifted the cap just enough to stop the binding. The same washer was included with my Stumpjumper Evo, but I did not need to use it on that bike. Hopefully this helps solve your problem.
I know the washer you're talking about. It wasn't in the documentation and I don't remember having a headset that used one of those before, so I hadn't used it. However, when I was trying to sort things out on Friday I had the same thought and gave it a test-fit. It seemed promising enough, but the cover still wasn't turning, so I took it back out. I didn't actually compress the headset like I was getting ready to ride it, so either the washer will work by adding compression or something else is going on.
Hope you get it sorted. Sounds like a crap dealer just like my local, avoid anything you can attitude.
My previous brand dealer was fabulous
I figure I'd get better treatment from an actual branded Specialized store (we have one in Santa Monica and another in Costa Mesa) than a typical dealer, but they're close to a 2 hour round trip, so it's hard to justify.

Last edited:

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Has anyone tested fitment for the Fox 8x30mm roller bearing kit for the front shock eyelet? My calipers are measuring the mounting width at ~29.6mm.
I ordered a rwr roller bearing for my too shock eyelet in that size....no issues on the fit and I can feel the improvement in the ride.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Just bought a Kenevo SL Expert to go with my Levo Carbon Expert Gen 2 - just took delivery yesterday and took it out today, but disappointed as my motor shaft / crank shaft has 3mm+ of play in it that knocks with side loading. LBS will warranty it but a new motor will take another week!

When I got my ksl comp in October it had some play in the cranks. Little less than yours I think. Shop checked with spec and they said it was within there tolerances and said no need to do a warranty claim.

soso79

Feb 19, 2021
Germany
shoulder has been broken for 15 weeks and will take a while.. so use the time wisely and rebuild the bike
696110A4-681B-462A-BA25-CDFD11357DB5.jpeg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Has anyone tested fitment for the Fox 8x30mm roller bearing kit for the front shock eyelet? My calipers are measuring the mounting width at ~29.6mm.
What's the advantage of fitting the roller bearing?

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
What's the advantage of fitting the roller bearing?
That front eyelet undergoes a lot of rotation on each compression/extension of the shock, and a bearing has less friction than the stock DU bushing, especially when breaking away from a static position, or changing direction of rotation.

I've fitted an RWC needle bearing kit (same idea) to my Transition Spur, and off the bike, it made a very noticeable improvement in off-the-top breakaway stiction, as well as when changing directions from compression to extension. On the bike, it felt like replacing old gritty pivot bearings with new ones. Similarly, I also have an Enduro, and cleaning/replacing the bearings at the trunnion mount up front absolutely makes a noticeable difference from when they're dirty.

I actually went ahead and ordered a 30mm RWC kit for the KSL here as well, since I already have the tools for it. For anyone who's wondering, the manual states that the shock hardware is 20mm wide, but that's incorrect. I just had the shock out last night and measured the mount width at 30.00mm on the dot with my digital calipers.

North Shore Taxi

Nov 3, 2021
Austria
That sideways play in the motor axle on the video is a warranty case. Had exactly the same on my KSL Expert after 450km and it gets replaced with a complete new motor last week from my dealer.

Spoiler: Stillforsale👍

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
Anybody has a Picture of a OneUp Dropper V2 (150mm) on a Kenevo SL (S3)? I'm getting bored by that stock dropper that stands out about 6cm on my Bike.. I'm 178cm (5'10) and need the 150mm for the uphills but always have the saddle in my butt on the downhills..

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
Anybody has a Picture of a OneUp Dropper V2 (150mm) on a Kenevo SL (S3)? I'm getting bored by that stock dropper that stands out about 6cm on my Bike.. I'm 178cm (5'10) and need the 150mm for the uphills but always have the saddle in my butt on the downhills..
I'm 5'6" with a OneUp on an S3. I have it set to 140mm, and it's right at the perfect height for me with the cable bottomed out. Note that I could shove it down a bit further, but the cable would start to kink.

If your legs are at least 10mm longer than mine, you should be good with a 150.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What are you hoping to achieve by swapping one 150 dropper for another? If the saddle is in the right position for pedaling it''ll be in the same position when dropped as the stock dropper. The only way it will be lower is if you are intending on slamming the dropper in the frame before every descent.

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
I'm 5'6" with a OneUp on an S3. I have it set to 140mm, and it's right at the perfect height for me with the cable bottomed out. Note that I could shove it down a bit further, but the cable would start to kink.

If your legs are at least 10mm longer than mine, you should be good with a 150.

About how much does the dropper stand out of the seat tube? The stock one is about 6cm bottomed out on mine. Is the OneUp lower? Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
What are you hoping to achieve by swapping one 150 dropper for another? If the saddle is in the right position for pedaling it''ll be in the same position when dropped as the stock dropper. The only way it will be lower is if you are intending on slamming the dropper in the frame before every descent.

Yeah, my mistake. I'd need a 180mm OneUp or so.. Maybe 210mm.. If 150mm is right now and the OneUp could be lowered more into the seat tube I'd need all that lowering on top to the 150mm..

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
About how much does the dropper stand out of the seat tube? The stock one is about 6cm bottomed out on mine. Is the OneUp lower? Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.
I don't get it. If both post are same lenght, then both are equally out of the seat tube. You should buy a longer dropper post, allowing you to get it deep inside the saddle tube.

Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
Sorry for my english. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Not all 150mm droppers have the same dimensions. Some can be pished further inside the seat tube. I'm looking for a dropper that gets further inside than my stock 150mm. But I'd like to keep the saddle as close to the height it is now when using the full 150mm travel.
So I'd need something physically impossible: a dropper with more travel that still goes further inside the seat tube. Is that working with a OneUp V2? I read it is the smallest in overall Dimension and goes lower out of the way..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The OneUp has the lowest stack height of any dropper but it can't magically make 150mm drop more than the stock dropper. You will be able to get the dropped post lower in the frame than the stock dropper so the seat will be further out of the way but it will not be at the correct height for pedaling when extended.
I had the same concerns as you but I've got used to the stock dropper pretty quickly.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Hey, I asked about this just on previous page and based on my rudimentary mathematics, you need about 83-84cm long legs (33" inseam) to utilize fully inserted 180mm OneUp v2 dropper on S3 (but same on S2 and probably S4 as well).
The insertion depth is simply pathetic.. my wife's Levo SL Medium can fully utilize 180mm OneUp v2 and my wife has only 80cm long legs...

Mind you, you can make OneUp into 170/160 with insert.

Since I have just 82cm /32" inseam I decided to just keep 150mm and mount the Aenomaly SwitchGrade to get that 2cm of "functional" drop from tilt-back. Just didn't get to it yet since I think I'll have to faffle with cable to switch the Manic to OneUp and I don't have patience for that these days.

When I first got on Kenevo SL I was surprised why I felt so annoyed with 150mm dropper when I was fine with 150 on my YT Capra.
And it's the shorter cranks! 165mm vs formerly 175mm makes the saddle 1cm higher overall in both positions, effectively making it feel like 140 on my former bike.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021
Central Switzerland
Hey, I asked about this just on previous page and based on my rudimentary mathematics, you need about 83-84cm long legs (33" inseam) to utilize fully inserted 180mm OneUp v2 dropper on S3 (but same on S2 and probably S4 as well).
The insertion depth is simply pathetic.. my wife's Levo SL Medium can fully utilize 180mm OneUp v2 and my wife has only 80cm long legs...

Mind you, you can make OneUp into 170/160 with insert.

Since I have just 82cm /32" inseam I decided to just keep 150mm and mount the Aenomaly SwitchGrade to get that 2cm of "functional" drop from tilt-back. Just didn't get to it yet since I think I'll have to faffle with cable to switch the Manic to OneUp and I don't have patience for that these days.

When I first got on Kenevo SL I was surprised why I felt so annoyed with 150mm dropper when I was fine with 150 on my YT Capra.
And it's the shorter cranks! 165mm vs formerly 175mm makes the saddle 1cm higher overall in both positions, effectively making it feel like 140 on my former bike.
Thanks for your help. My legs are about 84-85cm.. So I could give the 180mm a try.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles