Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

speed300

Dec 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I need the spider to be able to run the new TT Groupset, the chain doesn‘t work with the e13 chainring.
maybe there is someone who doesn't need the spider but would like a new chainring + a few euros extra.
so win win.
I want to run the TT groupset also, but wasn't sure what I need for the crankset/chainring to fit to the TQ motor... I'm still running the e13 cranks and chainring. Could you give me more info on what is this "spider" that is required to switch to the TT?

speed300

Dec 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I want to run the TT groupset also, but wasn't sure what I need for the crankset/chainring to fit to the TQ motor... I'm still running the e13 cranks and chainring. Could you give me more info on what is this "spider" that is required to switch to the TT?
Nevermind, I think I get it. The AXS variants have a spider that connects to the SRAM chainring while the Shimano variants have an integrated chainring that isn't compatible with TT. Not a part we can order?

macbeth89

Mar 27, 2023
Germany
Nevermind, I think I get it. The AXS variants have a spider that connects to the SRAM chainring while the Shimano variants have an integrated chainring that isn't compatible with TT. Not a part we can order?
Hi,
it is exactly like that.
I've been trying to order this part for 2 months. someone here in the forum wrote that he could order it from his dealer. In Germany, however, the part cannot be ordered, I am simply referred to the next instance.
Dealer says contact Trek, Trek says contact FSA. pretty annoying.
If you live in another country you might have more success.

Should be fine with the stock chainring- see NSMB reviews
I read through the report, it says the groupset can also work with an x-sync 2 chainring. e13's chainring has its own profile and according to the e13 website the 32T chainring only works with Shimano chains. Only from 34T it should also be compatible with SRAM. According to Treks specs, the 9.7 uses the 32T version.

Update:
I ordered the 34T chainring von e13 and i'm going to try if the chain works with this chainring.
I'll give you a feedback it it fits.

Last edited:

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
The 2023 SRAM Parts Catalog list a direct mount option for TQ. No need to source the spider. I guess now the challenge is sourcing the SRAM part. :eek:

It even has the correct 55mm chain line.

11.6218.064.000 CHAIN RING XX TQ DIRECT MOUNT 32T T-TYPE
11.6218.064.001 CHAIN RING XX TQ DIRECT MOUNT 34T T-TYPE

1680088286526.png

macbeth89

Mar 27, 2023
Germany
The 2023 SRAM Parts Catalog list a direct mount option for TQ. No need to source the spider. I guess now the challenge is sourcing the SRAM part. :eek:

View attachment 110362
Thanks for the info, at least something.

Last edited:

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California

View attachment 110362
Well look at that!

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
e13's chainring has its own profile and according to the e13 website the 32T chainring only works with Shimano chains. Only from 34T it should also be compatible with SRAM. According to Treks specs, the 9.7 uses the 32T version.
I can confirm the E13 32t works fine with both SRAM or Shimano 12spd chains (non flat-top).
Good luck and keep us posted!

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
My grind/rattle/flutter started exactly the same way. Very subtle and very infrequently. Overtime, over approximately 30 miles of riding, it has become more consistent and occurring more frequently. I can reproduce it now reliably by peddling just below the speed that the motor would theoretically be operating at. This can be done by coasting, , ( When the motor is not activated by any torque or strain through the crank ) and gradually increasing your pedal speed just enough to not produce any torque on the crank and it will make the sound reliably as long as you don’t put any torque on the crank which would turn the motor on. Actually it will be reproduced now by applying slight torque On the crank , but not enough to really get the motor to engage fully . This does not happen when the motor is turned completely off . ( ie When the control is powered off completely, or when the control is on but a long press of the lower speed, stops even eco )
I've noticed the same intermittent muted flutter when the motor is lightly engaged. It's not very loud but only noticeable because the motor is almost silent most of the time. I haven't paid much attention in the past as it doesn't seem to happen when you are pedaling harder. However I noticed it more frequently recently because I am injured and can only pedal lightly during my recovery.

I wonder if others have noticed this on their EXE's. and if so have you bother to do anything about it

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
Hi,
it is exactly like that.
I've been trying to order this part for 2 months. someone here in the forum wrote that he could order it from his dealer. In Germany, however, the part cannot be ordered, I am simply referred to the next instance.
Dealer says contact Trek, Trek says contact FSA. pretty annoying.
If you live in another country you might have more success.

I read through the report, it says the groupset can also work with an x-sync 2 chainring. e13's chainring has its own profile and according to the e13 website the 32T chainring only works with Shimano chains. Only from 34T it should also be compatible with SRAM. According to Treks specs, the 9.7 uses the 32T version.

Update:
I ordered the 34T chainring von e13 and i'm going to try if the chain works with this chainring.
I'll give you a feedback it it fits.
I have the E13 32T chainring (original on the 9.5) and I have put on the Sram
X01 Eagle with the Sram chain. Works without any problems ..

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I've noticed the same intermittent muted flutter when the motor is lightly engaged. It's not very loud but only noticeable because the motor is almost silent most of the time. I haven't paid much attention in the past as it doesn't seem to happen when you are pedaling harder. However I noticed it more frequently recently because I am injured and can only pedal lightly during my recovery.

I wonder if others have noticed this on their EXE's. and if so have you bother to do anything about it
Just a characteristic of the motor that I don't much think about anymore. If I do notice it I just pedal a touch harder and all is forgiven.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Has anyone had issues with the assist mode button on the handlebar no being less sensitive when changing assist levels? On my last two rides, it seemed the button would only change assist levels if I pushed the button in a certain spot. It was no like that before. I can live with it, but a little annoying.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa

I think as you recover and can use less assist, it will be a non-issue. You could mostly tune it out by using higher assist levels and turning down the pedal response. What you're feeling- it's like popping the clutch on a 50nm eBike!

In order to get max range, I have my settings tuned down so the assist wattage is nearly always lower than my pedaling wattage. With those settings it's very natural feeling and no stutter/flutter.

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
I think as you recover and can use less assist, it will be a non-issue. You could mostly tune it out by using higher assist levels and turning down the pedal response. What you're feeling- it's like popping the clutch on a 50nm eBike!

In order to get max range, I have my settings tuned down so the assist wattage is nearly always lower than my pedaling wattage. With those settings it's very natural feeling and no stutter/flutter.
Thanks ... I'll play with the settings and see how it affects it. It definitely was not as frequent when I was riding normally. I have probably about another couple months to recover from my tib fib fracture. I'm just happy to be able ride at this stage

macbeth89

Mar 27, 2023
Germany
I can confirm the E13 32t works fine with both SRAM or Shimano 12spd chains (non flat-top).
Good luck and keep us posted!
The ordered 34T e13 chainring arrived today. I don't see any difference compared to the new T-Type chainring, the chain fits perfectly and without play, but it doesn't jam either.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
The ordered 34T e13 chainring arrived today. I don't see any difference compared to the new T-Type chainring, the chain fits perfectly and without play, but it doesn't jam either.
Do you mean you are testing the E13 chainring with the new SRAM Eagle Transmission T-Type flat top chain and it works fine for you? Thanks.

macbeth89

Mar 27, 2023
Germany
Do you mean you are testing the E13 chainring with the new SRAM Eagle Transmission T-Type flat top chain and it works fine for you? Thanks.
Yes, but I haven't installed it yet.
So far I have only compared the fit of the chain on the two different chainrings, there is no difference in the fit between the SRAM T-Type and the e13 34T chainring.
I'll try it on the bike today, but I'm confident

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
I need the spider to be able to run the new TT Groupset, the chain doesn‘t work with the e13 chainring.
maybe there is someone who doesn't need the spider but would like a new chainring + a few euros extra.
so win win.
Something to keep in mind is that there is no 10-50 option for transmission. You'll be running a 32-52 combo on an ebike.

You could go with a 34 tooth ring, but I wonder how quick you'd hit the 20mph cutoff when you actually needed the 34-10.

While I'll always spend my money on suspension, brakes, and wheels over electronic shifting, I'd be interested to hear your experience once you start riding it.

macbeth89

Mar 27, 2023
Germany
Something to keep in mind is that there is no 10-50 option for transmission. You'll be running a 32-52 combo on an ebike.

You could go with a 34 tooth ring, but I wonder how quick you'd hit the 20mph cutoff when you actually needed the 34-10.

While I'll always spend my money on suspension, brakes, and wheels over electronic shifting, I'd be interested to hear your experience once you start riding it.
The Slx had a 10-51 ratio, so 10-52 is no big change. I don‘t think i‘m going to use the biggest cog that much with this bike.

My bike is almost fully customized, after the new transmisson there is only a custom tuned shock left on my list.

I‘m just done with the installation. Had no problems so far and it works fine on the bike stand. I‘m going to ride it tomorrow.

6F316B62-FA20-4771-9F80-15E6EEC72E43.jpeg 8891E24E-5074-4AD8-A310-04FDDE73B8F2.jpeg

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
Hi there, if anybody is interested in the Bontrager bar/stem combo (with or without the Bontrager tool) please contct me via pm. I´m coming from Germany (just to get an idea about the shipping method and costs).

speed300

Dec 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ, USA
The Slx had a 10-51 ratio, so 10-52 is no big change. I don‘t think i‘m going to use the biggest cog that much with this bike.

My bike is almost fully customized, after the new transmisson there is only a custom tuned shock left on my list.

I‘m just done with the installation. Had no problems so far and it works fine on the bike stand. I‘m going to ride it tomorrow.

View attachment 110581 View attachment 110582
Okay, you're making me want to run with this for now and just wait until the t-type specific direct mount chainring is available in the future. Gonna go buy a transmission now I guess!

ZillaG

Nov 15, 2022
Cary, NC USA
I have the E13 32T chainring (original on the 9.5) and I have put on the Sram
X01 Eagle with the Sram chain. Works without any problems ..
The current SRAM AXS Eagle derailleur works with the stock Shimano chain/cassette/chainring. However I believe this conversation is about the SRAM AXS Transmission, which is different for the current AXS version.

ZillaG

Nov 15, 2022
Cary, NC USA

View attachment 110581 View attachment 110582
Did you at least try the stock e13 32t chainring to see it did work with the SRAM TT parts? I was at a Trek dealership today and their "expert" mentioned it can work. Just curious.

Also which XD driver works with the Bonti hubs on a 9.7?

Zzzzz8

Dec 28, 2022
Morzine France
The new Rotwild R.x275 comes with a TQ motor. It has a boost function, 300 extra watts for 30 secs! I wonder if this might become an update on the Trek?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The new Rotwild R.x275 comes with a TQ motor. It has a boost function, 300 extra watts for 30 secs! I wonder if this might become an update on the Trek?
My understanding of the info for the rotwild is different to yours. I think that all the boost button does is temporarily put you in mode 3 (which has the power limit set to 300w) for 30 secs before reverting you back to whatever mode you were in before. I dont think it gives an additional 300w (600w in total) over the motors standard max output.

There is no handlebar remote to enable you to switch between modes 1,2 &3, you need to use the button on the display to switch modes, I think because the bike only has a 250wh battery they envisage that you will spend very little time in mode 3.

More info is here Release and First Ride: Rotwild R.X275 eMTB

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
Anyone else having issues with the Trek app and the display in the top tube being out of sync when it comes to showing the estimated range?

When I power up the bike it will show a certain distance range on the display. Once I connect the Trek app it causes the display range to go to zero. The app will also show zero for estimated range. I find I need to logout and back in a few times to get the app and display to sync and both show the same range. It's a bit annoying and has been happening since day one despite having the latest firmware and app updates.

TopUnit

Dec 4, 2022
Australia
So far I have only compared the fit of the chain on the two different chainrings, there is no difference in the fit between the SRAM T-Type and the e13 34T chainring.
I'll try it on the bike today, but I'm confident
How Did the ride go? E13 chainring OK?

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I’m surprising how just a 5mm change in stem length can make such a big difference. I’m an average proportioned 5’9” and at my girlfriends shop I rode both a medium and a large. The medium seemed to fit me the best. So, that’s what she got me in an 9.7. After putting a few rides on it, I felt that it was just a little too short. Like I wanted to move my ass back on the seat a little. It also seemed to turn really quick and on the steepest climbs in first gear, it was easy to wheelie. So, I replaced the 45mm stem with a 50mm i9 stem. It just solved all those problems for me. And now, it just feels perfect.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles