Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Build

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
They do a Boost mount too, and yes agree they are a bit pricey!

This is what I have on my hardtail:

Where do you ride @Nugget ? I normally hit up Kalamunda on a weekend
Hey mate, I didn't realise you were based in Perth as well. Yep, Kalamunda Camel farm / Pickering Brook trails normally for me although I haven't been able to get out very much this winter as work/family commitments keep me grounded unfortunately.

When I'm able to get out, I find that the EX-e is great to keep up with my fitter non ebike riding buddies but I struggle and am not fit enough to keep up with my buddies on the Specialized Levos. Love my Ex-e but its difficult to ride with full fat ebikes!

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia
Hey mate, I didn't realise you were based in Perth as well. Yep, Kalamunda Camel farm / Pickering Brook trails normally for me although I haven't been able to get out very much this winter as work/family commitments keep me grounded unfortunately.

When I'm able to get out, I find that the EX-e is great to keep up with my fitter non ebike riding buddies but I struggle and am not fit enough to keep up with my buddies on the Specialized Levos. Love my Ex-e but its difficult to ride with full fat ebikes!
Yep, I'm this way! Normally ride Kalamunda, and have done Pickering Brook a few times. Not done the Camel Farm in a while, mainly as it sucked last time I went as it wasn't well signposted.
I know the feeling about riding time - I don't get out much at the minute between 3 kids and work! Hopefully when it gets lighter I can get out a bit more.

I ride with a mix of people - one guy has a Rail and another an EX-e too, and my brother in law is fit and rides his analogue bike but we all tend to stop and wait for each other thankfully - I'm grateful as I'm still normally at the back of the queue!

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
Yep, I'm this way! Normally ride Kalamunda, and have done Pickering Brook a few times. Not done the Camel Farm in a while, mainly as it sucked last time I went as it wasn't well signposted.
I know the feeling about riding time - I don't get out much at the minute between 3 kids and work! Hopefully when it gets lighter I can get out a bit more.

I ride with a mix of people - one guy has a Rail and another an EX-e too, and my brother in law is fit and rides his analogue bike but we all tend to stop and wait for each other thankfully - I'm grateful as I'm still normally at the back of the queue!
Amen brother! Fellow back o' the queue member as well!
Your build looks great. the wheels and front fork on our 9.5's are trash so like almost everyone on this thread, they were the first to go. Brakes and likely dropper post next items due for replacement! I put on some Code RSCs and I've picked up a One-up dropper but have yet to install it.
I see you've still got the RS inline Deluxe shock - I thought it was surprisingly ok but I picked up a Super Deluxe second hand and whacked a MegNeg air can on it - haven't ridden it yet though so I'll be testing it in the coming weeks.

And like everyone else... still waiting on the Range extender...

Bradleybourbon

Jul 3, 2023
Fairfield, CA
Cleaned up and ready for the 11-6 test ride this morning.

IMG_7598.jpeg

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia
Amen brother! Fellow back o' the queue member as well!
Your build looks great. the wheels and front fork on our 9.5's are trash so like almost everyone on this thread, they were the first to go. Brakes and likely dropper post next items due for replacement! I put on some Code RSCs and I've picked up a One-up dropper but have yet to install it.
I see you've still got the RS inline Deluxe shock - I thought it was surprisingly ok but I picked up a Super Deluxe second hand and whacked a MegNeg air can on it - haven't ridden it yet though so I'll be testing it in the coming weeks.

And like everyone else... still waiting on the Range extender...

I’ve not looked at a replacement shock yet, but it’s probably next on the list. Weighing 100kg I’m going to hit the limitations of the Deluxe pretty soon. I’m thinking about a Bomber Air for the simplicity or maybe a Super Deluxe with MegNeg if one comes up.
The dropper I’ll run until it dies. I could swap the OneUp from my Banshee (that was the donor bike for this) but I want to sell that complete so probably not worth it. Swapping the lever is enough for now.

Not got a range extender, but might be on the cards later in the year when the weather is better and I can get out earlier!

Bradleybourbon

Jul 3, 2023
Fairfield, CA
Thankyou - yours looks spectacular. Particularly the Push suspension you have installed/will install. I'd be interested in a review / impression of them once you've had them dialed in.
It comes dialed, I have the 11-6 on my Santa Cruz Megatower Gen 1 and Hightower Gen 1. I rode 24 miles today in Grass Valley, CA. 2600 feet of climbing and ended with 33% Battery. Third ride on the bike, I have had a busy few weeks since purchasing it. Notable difference from stock obviously but feels like an 11-6. Small bump compliance is amazing as expected. No pedal strikes which were an issue with the Rockshox although different location and will confirm before ordering the 160 vs 165 Raceface Era Cranks. Climbs well in trail and climb mode. Comparing it to the Megatower 11-6, that bike descends like a demon and wants to go really fast. Fuel Ex-e is not obviously as capable, although I was able to do almost double the amount of riding today that I normally do at this location. Right hand Grip breaking/malfunction ended the ride early unfortunately. I have a few more issues to solve before I can give a more detailed review analysis (Push ASC3 150mm isn’t operating normally since I swapped the setup from my Hightower.) Darren from Push recommended that I do a lower leg service, so I will before I ride it again. Going to a lower gauge spring helped but something still isn’t ”right“ with the small bump and anything small to medium hit/feature. My Megatower has the Grip 2 dampener which is night and day to me VS the Fit 4. When the Push Fork all this will be gone anyway so it will be a mute point. Rant over, love the 11-6, if you get a chance ride one on any bike and you will too.

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
It comes dialed, I have the 11-6 on my Santa Cruz Megatower Gen 1 and Hightower Gen 1. I rode 24 miles today in Grass Valley, CA. 2600 feet of climbing and ended with 33% Battery. Third ride on the bike, I have had a busy few weeks since purchasing it. Notable difference from stock obviously but feels like an 11-6. Small bump compliance is amazing as expected. No pedal strikes which were an issue with the Rockshox although different location and will confirm before ordering the 160 vs 165 Raceface Era Cranks. Climbs well in trail and climb mode. Comparing it to the Megatower 11-6, that bike descends like a demon and wants to go really fast. Fuel Ex-e is not obviously as capable, although I was able to do almost double the amount of riding today that I normally do at this location. Right hand Grip breaking/malfunction ended the ride early unfortunately. I have a few more issues to solve before I can give a more detailed review analysis (Push ASC3 150mm isn’t operating normally since I swapped the setup from my Hightower.) Darren from Push recommended that I do a lower leg service, so I will before I ride it again. Going to a lower gauge spring helped but something still isn’t ”right“ with the small bump and anything small to medium hit/feature. My Megatower has the Grip 2 dampener which is night and day to me VS the Fit 4. When the Push Fork all this will be gone anyway so it will be a mute point. Rant over, love the 11-6, if you get a chance ride one on any bike and you will too.

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes major pedal strike issue on my mullet’d 9.5 as well. I’m hoping the super deluxe with megneg will help and give me a bit more mid strike support but I may have to switch to 155mm cranks - I don’t think the Era comes in 155. I love reading about the Push products but I probably don’t have the talent and riding skills to fully exploit them!

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
I’ve not looked at a replacement shock yet, but it’s probably next on the list. Weighing 100kg I’m going to hit the limitations of the Deluxe pretty soon. I’m thinking about a Bomber Air for the simplicity or maybe a Super Deluxe with MegNeg if one comes up.
The dropper I’ll run until it dies. I could swap the OneUp from my Banshee (that was the donor bike for this) but I want to sell that complete so probably not worth it. Swapping the lever is enough for now.

Not got a range extender, but might be on the cards later in the year when the weather is better and I can get out earlier!

Yeah heard good things about the Marzochi air, simple and robust. I managed to pick up my Super Deluxe from a chap who upgraded his Specialized Enduro and from one ride without the MegNeg it already seemed more supportive and supple than the stock shock. We will see what the Megneg does. And yes, that stock dropper remote was horrid and has to go!
Hope to see you on the trails one day!

kart66

Sep 16, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Some really nice custom 9.5 builds on this thread. I think the 9.5 is the perfect platform to build from with your own tailored components. Here’s mine only just a day from rolling out the LBS:
-2019 Lyrik Ultimate 160mm from existing bike
-mullet setup with LB carbon wheels laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs, Cushcore in rear tire
- Maxxis Dissectors front and rear but maybe should have gone for Minion DHR2 at front
-Eagle AXS Gx rear mech and X01 cassette
-Code RSC brakes and HS2 rotors
-DMR Vaults
-Easton carbon bar 35mm with Oneup 50mm stem and Ergon grips
-Nukeproof saddle
- stock dropper post was surprisingly decent but replaced the rubbish dropper remote with a Wolftooth remote

Will ride this for a bit and maybe see about upgrading rear shock
View attachment 110500
What wrap did you put on the frame? Looks like great fit and I like how it looks more satin than the flat paint.

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
What wrap did you put on the frame? Looks like great fit and I like how it looks more satin than the flat paint.
I used the full tailored ridewrap for our ex-e's in satin finish - seemed to work best with the 9.5 dinister black.

nervesurgeon

Sep 19, 2023
Denver
Built up a 9.5 also recently. Took a bunch of stuff off of my old bike except the dropper, shock, and cranks which weren't compatible.

ridewrap matte
carbonfan wheels with Dt240s
sram XO1 AXS
oneup v2 dropper
wolftooth remote
fabric scoop saddle
renthal stem
chris king headset
oneup bar and grips
oneup EDC tool
fox 360 160mm
sram guide ultimate brakes
rockshox superdeluxe coil ultimate
oneup aluminum pedals
exe - 2.jpeg
exe - 1.jpeg

exe - 3.jpeg

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
To join the fun. I’ve ordered a 9.5 and will be upgrading as follows…..

Will be fitting (mostly transferring from the Levo)
Matte Ride Wrap
Zeb Ultimate 160mm Charger 3 RC2 W/ButterCup
I have bought a RS SD Select+ for £100 that came off a new EXe
AXS T-type transmission
AXS Dropper (170mm)
Hope tech 4 E4 brakes and rotors (silver)
Carbon bars (38mm rise)
Hope DH stem (50mm) (silver)
Carbon front rim on Hope 4 hub
DT Swiss EX511 rim built onto DT Swiss 350 hub
Big Betty 29x2.4 rear
Magic Mary 29x2.6 front

The shock as a bargain off PinkBike. I’ve had a SD Ultimate before but tended to leave the LSC and HSC iN the middle and not mess with them. Mine won’t have HBO, but I think that can be added at a later stage if needed?

Colakaka

Oct 3, 2023
Germany
Hey everyone,
just want to share my EXE 9.5 ("Big Blue Bike") for everyone interested (pls ingnore the mess in the background)

Frame: 9.5 Size M
Fork: Fox 38 Factory Kashima 170mm (added Costom Decals)
Shock: Fox X2 Factory 205x65 (so 152mm rear travel) (FlipChip in high and no clearance issue)
Breaks: XT 8120 4 Postion on 200mm Rotors
Rims: Aerycs E-MTB 29" Carbon
Tyre: MAXXIS DHF 2.5 (front) MAXXIS DHR 2.4 (rear)
Inserts: Cushore (front and rear)
Pedals: One Up Comp

Drivetrain, Cranks, Dopper, Bar, Grips are still stock. Drivetrain will be replaced one its worn down. Sattle some time this winter

And for everyone wondering:
Weight: 19,6 kg (with battery)

I use this as my only bike and do go into bikeparks about 1x or 2x per month (without battery). Therefore i wanted the heavy tires and inserts as well as the heavier piggy back shock. Could easily shave around 1 kg with lighter components there.
I absoluty LOVE the bike. Coming from a 2013 Canyon Torque with 26" wheels and short reach this is a ridiculous upgrade!

IMG_20230902_134910944.jpg IMG_20230924_170129284.jpg

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Hey everyone,
just want to share my EXE 9.5 ("Big Blue Bike") for everyone interested (pls ingnore the mess in the background)

Frame: 9.5 Size M
Fork: Fox 38 Factory Kashima 170mm (added Costom Decals)
Shock: Fox X2 Factory 205x65 (so 152mm rear travel) (FlipChip in high and no clearance issue)
Breaks: XT 8120 4 Postion on 200mm Rotors
Rims: Aerycs E-MTB 29" Carbon
Tyre: MAXXIS DHF 2.5 (front) MAXXIS DHR 2.4 (rear)
Inserts: Cushore (front and rear)
Pedals: One Up Comp

Drivetrain, Cranks, Dopper, Bar, Grips are still stock. Drivetrain will be replaced one its worn down. Sattle some time this winter

And for everyone wondering:
Weight: 19,6 kg (with battery)

I use this as my only bike and do go into bikeparks about 1x or 2x per month (without battery). Therefore i wanted the heavy tires and inserts as well as the heavier piggy back shock. Could easily shave around 1 kg with lighter components there.
I absoluty LOVE the bike. Coming from a 2013 Canyon Torque with 26" wheels and short reach this is a ridiculous upgrade!

View attachment 127186 View attachment 127187
Nice job. You might want to get yourself a new saddle on order, I did about 250KM on the stock Bontrager and I have no idea why I did that to myself, just painful!!

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I see plenty of riders upgrading to the float x2. Is this a progressive air spring? I thought the Float X2 was linear / downhill focused?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I see plenty of riders upgrading to the float x2. Is this a progressive air spring? I thought the Float X2 was linear / downhill focused?
depends how many volume spacers you put in it. Its pretty tunable, so can be linear or progressive depending on what you want.

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia
Nice job. You might want to get yourself a new saddle on order, I did about 250KM on the stock Bontrager and I have no idea why I did that to myself, just painful!!
I did one ride and swapped to a Spesh Phenom. Awful saddle.

I got mine for a steal and it's better than the Deluxe

Colakaka

Oct 3, 2023
Germany
Yes i know. I think i will go for an ergon enduro s/m. Have heard good feedback on that

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
IMG_4872.jpeg
IMG_4873.jpeg
IMG_4874.jpeg
IMG_4875.jpeg

19.2 kg
Zeb Uktimate
Rockshox Super Deluxe Select+
Bontrager Carbon from rim on Hope Pro4
DT Swiss EX511 29’r rear on Hope Pro 5
Hope Tech 155 cranks
Cranks Brothers Stamp pedals
Hope tech 4 E4 brakes, 220 front 180 rear
SRAM T type transmission
SRAM AXS 170 dropper
Bell Air saddle
138mm rise carbon bars
Hope Stem
Deathgrips
Schwalbe Tires
Big Betty Super Trail 2.4 rear
Magic Mary Super Trail 2.6 front
EDC steerer tube tools

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
View attachment 128279 View attachment 128280 View attachment 128281 View attachment 128282

19.2 kg
Zeb Uktimate
Hope Tech 155 cranks
SRAM T type transmission
SRAM AXS 170 dropper
Bell Air saddle
138mm rise carbon bars
Hope Stem
Deathgrips
Schwalbe Tires
EDC steerer tube tools
Nice build. Most importantly, how do you like the way it rides?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Not ridden it yet. I’m in the US for a week…….so will be next weekend before I ride it.

Teoslav

Nov 4, 2023
Zagreb, Croatia
I had ordered the Fuel EXE 9.8 GX AXS, but after the delivery date kept being pushed back, I decided on an existing 9.5.
I then invested the saved money in some nice parts:

-Öhlins RXF 38 and TTX2
-I9 Hubs with Lilienthal Rims
-Direttissima Brakes
-OneUp pedals and bar
-AXS derailleur
-ERA carbon cranks
View attachment 110188
View attachment 110138
The RXF surprised me very positively, very comfortable and yet good ground feedback.
Despite the large fork, the weight remains relatively low. 18.9 kg with pedals.

edit: smaller picture size
I am looking at the RaceFace ERA cranks as well. I have taken a look at the official RaceFace Website and it says that the eMTB specific cranks are compatible with the TQ50 and Bosch gen 4 equipped biked. But wherever I find the cranks to buy (online sites like bike24, or r2bikes) it says that it is only compatible with the bosch gen 4 motor. So I cant figure out are there 2 eMTB specific models or the one compatible with Bosch gen 4 works just fine with the TQ50.

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I am looking at the RaceFace ERA cranks as well. I have taken a look at the official RaceFace Website and it says that the eMTB specific cranks are compatible with the TQ50 and Bosch gen 4 equipped biked. But wherever I find the cranks to buy (online sites like bike24, or r2bikes) it says that it is only compatible with the bosch gen 4 motor. So I cant figure out are there 2 eMTB specific models or the one compatible with Bosch gen 4 works just fine with the TQ50.
There’s just the one model of ERA eMTB cranks that fit both Bosch and TQ motors. Not sure why the retailers are only citing the Bosch compatibility. I ordered mine directly from Raceface because I was also confused by the ambiguity on other sites. They fit the ex-e great.

6C821316-D13C-43BE-AE45-A1F8DEC45AB8.jpeg

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
View attachment 128279 View attachment 128280 View attachment 128281 View attachment 128282

19.2 kg
Zeb Uktimate
Hope Tech 155 cranks
SRAM T type transmission
SRAM AXS 170 dropper
Bell Air saddle
138mm rise carbon bars
Hope Stem
Deathgrips
Schwalbe Tires
EDC steerer tube tools
Love your bike, nice build.

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia

19.2 kg
Zeb Uktimate
Hope Tech 155 cranks
SRAM T type transmission
SRAM AXS 170 dropper
Bell Air saddle
138mm rise carbon bars
Hope Stem
Deathgrips
Schwalbe Tires
EDC steerer tube tools
Super nice, especially managing to get SRAM T type transmission on it. Can I ask how you managed the chainring? are you using the 104 BCD spider with a SRAM chainring?

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I'm using the TQ 104bcd spider and the Wolf Tooth T-type chain ring (had to order it from the US as there was no stock in the UK). I had to buy the bottom bracket tool, but was super easy to swap over.

Interesting note, the SRAM chain ring had no indication of crank arm position, so once the cranks were off, I had no reference as to where to put the new cranks on. So I've put them on and will let the motor sort itself out on the first ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles