Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Build

Keith3007

Jan 7, 2023
Glasgow
Hello

Purchased 9.5 in October for frame, battery and motor. Had all custom parts ready so converted bike straight away and been using since. Two small changes to do this week in Title seat-post clamp and Intend headset.

Thoughts on bike - Great handling and fun, can't fault once all bolts tightened properly.

TQ motor - Enough power but would like a bit more 10% of the time, you deff need to work harder, knew this would be the case when buying but willing to trade for the silence. Previous bikes had Shimano EP8/EP8 RS and Bosch Gen 4 but would not go back, motor whine not end of world but going downhill...

Range - Could be better will probably get extender for big days out in Alps etc...summertime.

Cheers

IMG-5811.jpg
IMG-5818.jpg

Last edited:

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
I did more less the same: I ordered a 9.5 because I was just interested in the frame and my updates are as follows:
- Rock Shox Lyrik Ultimate Charger 3 RC2 in 150 mm
- Rock Shox super deluxe Ultimate RC2
- Syntace Vector Carbon Bar and headset
- Full Sram X01 Eagle drivetrain with maybe a small 30T chainring from Raceface or Garbaruk (this will be decided after the first rides if 30T really needed or if I stay with 32T)
- Acros Enduro Carbon rims mullet with Maxxis DHR 2.4 and DHF 2.5
- Kind Shock Lev Integra 200mm dropper post with Selle Italia Flite saddle
- Trickstuff direttissima brakes (I will move them from my actual Liteville 301 MK12)
- Syntace pedals number 9 Titan (also from my existing bike)

So I end up with the same price as a 9.8XT but with the components as I want them and an expected weight of below 18 kg.
Bike is expected to come in the next 2 weeks so by end of march I will show you the final result and givve you my feedback on the riding impressions.

Cheers
Thomas

speed300

Dec 2, 2022
Phoenix, AZ, USA
I went this route as well because I wanted the matte color you could only get on the 9.5 and I wanted a specific config.

Heads up that if you start getting an annoying creaking from the bottom bracket area it could be one of either the TSB for re-torquing the motor mounts OR (as in my case) there is a specific sized bushing for the Fox Float X2 that wasn't installed when I switched out the Rock Shox. This leaves flex in the crankset that is the source of the creaking.
  • Fox 36 Factory Grip 2 160mm
  • Fox Float X2 factory shock
  • XT 4-pot brakes and rotors
  • XT drive train
  • One-up Carbon 35mm bar
  • Race Face 60mm stem for a little extra reach
  • Atlas pedals and some fat grips
  • i9 355 carbon wheels, hydra hubs, and maxxis dissector rubber
1677005880783.png

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
Your bike looks nice...how does it ride?
Thank you for the alert, but as far as I am staying with Rock Shox hopefully this is not going to happen.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I ordered a 9.5 in the blue. I hope it looks good.

I'll be putting on a Mezzer Pro set to 160mm and a 65mm stroke float X performance I got for almost free and will make the hack to turn it into a float x performance elite.
203mm rotors, xt cassette, xt derailleur, slx shifter, 35mm stem with oneup bar, SLX brakes and a 210mm oneup dropper, DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon mullet wheels and flip the chip to high and I should be set.
Can't wait for the bike to arrive, parts are ready. Most of the parts I already have, so all in all not an expensive build.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I ordered a 9.5 in the blue. I hope it looks good.

I'll be putting on a Mezzer Pro set to 160mm and a 65mm stroke float X performance I got for almost free and will make the hack to turn it into a float x performance elite.
203mm rotors, xt cassette, xt derailleur, slx shifter, 35mm stem with oneup bar, SLX brakes and a 210mm oneup dropper, DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon mullet wheels and flip the chip to high and I should be set.
Can't wait for the bike to arrive, parts are ready. Most of the parts I already have, so all in all not an expensive build.
My husband recently got the blue 9.5. It looks great in person and the folks at our LBS thought the color was beautiful too.

The 9.5 model has 2 nice colors. :)

Love this 9.5 thread by the way… giving me many ideas. Maybe too many, lol.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
My husband recently got the blue 9.5. It looks great in person and the folks at our LBS thought the color was beautiful too.

The 9.5 model has 2 nice colors. :)

Love this 9.5 thread by the way… giving me many ideas. Maybe too many, lol.
So you fancy the Fuel EX-e 9.5 in "Matte Dnister Black" I guess? ;)

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
So you fancy the Fuel EX-e 9.5 in "Matte Dnister Black" I guess? ;)

I do like black as much as I like blue. But I picked the Deep Smoke color for mine. (I likely will be keeping mine stock, but have already started suggesting upgrades to my husband for his. :LOL: )

tolmie35

Jul 29, 2021
Glasgow
Hello

Purchased 9.5 in October for frame, battery and motor. Had all custom parts ready so converted bike straight away and been using since. Two small changes to do this week in Title seat-post clamp and Intend headset.

Thoughts on bike - Great handling and fun, can't fault once all bolts tightened properly.

TQ motor - Enough power but would like a bit more 10% of the time, you deff need to work harder, knew this would be the case when buying but willing to trade for the silence. Previous bikes had Shimano EP8/EP8 RS and Bosch Gen 4 but would not go back, motor whine not end of world but going downhill...

Range - Could be better will probably get extender for big days out in Alps etc...summertime.

Cheers

View attachment 104234 View attachment 104326

Hi there, just seen you are glasgow like myself, is that photo from the Braes?

Thanks

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I'm far from done but I have a broken thumb so working on the bike is hard. Took the bike for a short ride today though.
IMG_3778.jpg

The cables are a birds nest, the dropper is very short, the brake handles will be swapped to shimano, the shock will be swapped, new saddle, new grips, new shifter and different bottle cage coming up.
But so far so good.

visionone

Feb 23, 2023
Houston
I'm far from done but I have a broken thumb so working on the bike is hard. Took the bike for a short ride today though.
View attachment 108314

The cables are a birds nest, the dropper is very short, the brake handles will be swapped to shimano, the shock will be swapped, new saddle, new grips, new shifter and different bottle cage coming up.
But so far so good.
can you tell me what fender that is?

Samo

Mar 17, 2023
Australia
Love this thread..

Picked up a 9.5 myself. Was on sale and much cheaper than the other models.

I intend to upgrade parts. Trying to source some ideas on what too first, what would make the most impact to the riding.

Does anyone have any advice on where they would suggest the first upgrades should occur?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Suspension and wheels make the biggest difference. The stock wheels on 9.5 are extremely heavy and are supposed to be quite soft too. The suspension is a no brainer, the MoCo damper on the stock fork is quite bad.
You can run the stock calipers and just swap the levers with shimano ones. That's what I did. Quite a cheap upgrade and very much worth it.
Drivetrain you can look at when you wear it out, but I'd recommend getting a xtr chain as they hold up better and reduce wear on the rest of the drivetrain.
In my opinion the tires are surprisingly good.
My bike is almost done now. I am just missing the LSC rebound upgrade for the shock from fox and a spacer for the shock to make it 62.5mm stroke. I hope it will arrive soon.
IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3831.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg

Last edited:

Samo

Mar 17, 2023
Australia
Great advice thanks

Was definitely thinking suspension and wheels first.

Perhaps a fox 36 160mm up front. Potentially leaving the stock rear.

And then some lighter wheels.

Will check out brake levers. Good tips.

I definitely thought the drive train felt clunky on my first ride... Comparing to my sram eagle on my old 2017 analogue bike (canyon spectral).

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I did also change the drivetrain on mine since I had it laying around and the cassette didn't fit my microspline wheels. The sunrace cassette is also very heavy so if you are going to switch wheels anyway maybe it's a good place to get a slightly lighter build and better shifting. The deore trigger and derailleur are quite good even though they are cheap I think.
I was considering leaving the rear as well but got a great offer on a used float x so I thought why the hell not although I would have liked a mara pro instead.
The cables were a total mess when I first got the bike, but in a sense it was good that the cables were so hilariously long becuase it meant I could trim the perfectly to my liking after I installed a 210mm dropper.

I opened up the display and wrapped a bit of foam around the cables with a zip tie near the headset to prevent them from rattling. I ended up reducing the amount of foam after taking this picture but you get the idea.
IMG_3776.jpg

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I started with a 9.5 and then changed the following, i had a lot of this stuff either spare or on other bikes, so didnt cost much to do.

- dt swiss hx1501 wheelset - taken off another bike. the stock wheels are very heavy and very weak, these dtswiss wheels are not light, but are very strong, and are still a lot lighter than stock.
- XT cassette - the stock sunrace cassette is seriously heavy
- AXS gears - the stock derailluer is shimano xt which is great, but I had AXS that I could take off another bike so why not
- Magura Mt7 brakes - stock 9.5 brakes are awful - if on a budget just upgrading the levers to deore levers would be a significant upgrade. Had to buy these.
- Fox 36 factory 160mm fork - taken off another bike. The stock RS gold 35 is awful.
- Super deluxe ultimate shock - had to buy this. The stock deluxe select+ is actually ok though IMO, it feels a bit spiky over successive rapid bumps, but not bad at all really, but may as well do things properly.
- One up carbon bars and renthal stem - stock bars are too narrow for me
- Fabric saddle
- Maxxis Assegai Exo+ tyre on the front, DHR II double down on the rear.

The main things to fix on the standard 9.5 is the front suspension, the brakes and the wheels, in that order (IMO)

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
- Magura Mt7 brakes - stock 9.5 brakes are awful - if on a budget just upgrading the levers to deore levers would be a significant upgrade. Had to buy these.
good post but IMO if you are going to buy levers go with SLX not deore since the SLX have the tool free adjuster and are just as good as the XT and XTR in all aspects that matters. The bite point adjuster does not work on any shimano lever so one might as well pretend it isn't there, making the SLX lever king of value.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Some good ideas here. I got my 9.5 a couple of weeks ago. I picked up a Lyrik on eBay for a good price and got the bike shop to fit that before I picked it up. I've no idea how good/bad the 35 Gold fork is, but I am able to sell it on eBay as new and unused. @Samo you might want to swap yours out and sell it while it's still unmarked.

Mine came with TRP brakes which are plenty powerful but I don't like the feel. F*ckin noisy too. Hadn't thought about only upgrading the levers - good suggestion.

Wheels I guess I'll do when I decide whether to run it mullet (feels good as a full 29er I think) and find a bargain.

The Select+ shock is ok, but think I may go for a coil eventually.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Mine came with TRP brakes which are plenty powerful but I don't like the feel. F*ckin noisy too. Hadn't thought about only upgrading the levers - good suggestion.
Mine came with some truly awful shimano brakes, cant remember what model they were but they had 4 pot calipers (which I think are probably ok), the main issue was the levers, they were some awful shimano 'trekking' levers that need 2 fingers to operate, I understand from various people that just replacing these levers with deore/slx levers is a massive improvement, but I never tried it, I just swapped the whole lot for magura mt7.

I had heard good things about the TRP brakes (and was hoping my bike would come with those) - so maybe you dont need to swap the brakes out at all?

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
... maybe you dont need to swap the brakes out at all?
Maybe. Like I said, plenty of stopping power, but the feel/modulation isn't as good as the SRAM/Shimano brakes on my other bikes. Reckon I'll try some SLX/XT levers though, could be a good way to save some money.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Love this thread..

Picked up a 9.5 myself. Was on sale and much cheaper than the other models.

I intend to upgrade parts. Trying to source some ideas on what too first, what would make the most impact to the riding.

Does anyone have any advice on where they would suggest the first upgrades should occur?

would say that the tires are the first thing you need to upgrade, I didn't like the ones that were on the original

Samo

Mar 17, 2023
Australia
All great tips.. Thanks!

I think Australian 9.5 (where I am) might have different components to elsewhere... This is what I have.

FrameOCLV Mountain Carbon, removable battery, internal routing, alloy rocker link, 34.9 mm seat tube, upper chain guide mount, 55 mm chainline, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, UDH, 140 mm travel
ForkRockShox 35 Gold RL, DebonAir spring, Motion Control damper, lockout, tapered steerer, 44 mm offset, Boost110, 15 mm Maxle Stealth, 150 mm travel
ShockRockShox Deluxe Select+ RT, 205 mm x 60 mm
Wheels
expand_less
Hub frontBontrager sealed bearing, alloy axle, 6-bolt, Boost110, 15 mm thru axle
Hub rearBontrager alloy, sealed bearing, alloy axle, 6-bolt, Shimano MicroSpline freehub, Boost148, 12 mm thru axle
Skewer rearBontrager Switch thru-axle, removable lever
RimAlex MD35, tubeless compatible, 32-hole, 35 mm width, Presta valve
TyreBontrager XR5 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29x2.50"
Tyre partBontrager TLR sealant, 180 ml/6 oz
Rim stripBontrager TLR
Drivetrain
expand_less
ShifterShimano Deore M6100, 12-speed
Rear derailleurShimano Deore M6100, long cage
CrankE*thirteen E*spec Plus, 165 mm length
Crank armE*thirteen E*spec Plus, 170 mm length
ChainringE*thirteen E*spec, 32T alloy ring, 55 mm chainline
CassetteShimano Deore M6100, 10-51, 12-speed
ChainShimano Deore M6100, 12-speed
Max. chainring sizeMax: 34T Min: 30T
Components
expand_less
SaddleBontrager Arvada, steel rails, 138 mm width
*SeatpostSize: S
TranzX JD-YSI-22PLQ, 100 mm travel, internal routing, 34.9 mm, 346 mm length
Size: M
TranzX JD-YSI-22PLQ, 150 mm travel, internal routing, 34.9 mm, 454 mm length
Size: L, XL
TranzX JD-YSI-22PLQ, 170 mm travel, internal routing, 34.9 mm, 497 mm length
HandlebarBontrager Rhythm Comp, alloy, 31.8 mm, 15 mm rise, 750 mm width
GripsBontrager XR Trail Comp, nylon lock-on
StemBontrager alloy, 31.8 mm, Blendr-compatible, 7-degree, 50 mm length
BrakeShimano 4-piston hydraulic disc, MT4100 lever, MT420 calliper
Brake rotorShimano RT66, 6-bolt, 203 mm

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
All great tips.. Thanks!

I think Australian 9.5 (where I am) might have different components to elsewhere... This is what I have.

FrameOCLV Mountain Carbon, removable battery, internal routing, alloy rocker link, 34.9 mm seat tube, upper chain guide mount, 55 mm chainline, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, UDH, 140 mm travel
ForkRockShox 35 Gold RL, DebonAir spring, Motion Control damper, lockout, tapered steerer, 44 mm offset, Boost110, 15 mm Maxle Stealth, 150 mm travel
ShockRockShox Deluxe Select+ RT, 205 mm x 60 mm
Wheels
expand_less
Hub frontBontrager sealed bearing, alloy axle, 6-bolt, Boost110, 15 mm thru axle
Hub rearBontrager alloy, sealed bearing, alloy axle, 6-bolt, Shimano MicroSpline freehub, Boost148, 12 mm thru axle
Skewer rearBontrager Switch thru-axle, removable lever
RimAlex MD35, tubeless compatible, 32-hole, 35 mm width, Presta valve
TyreBontrager XR5 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29x2.50"
Tyre partBontrager TLR sealant, 180 ml/6 oz
Rim stripBontrager TLR
Drivetrain
expand_less
ShifterShimano Deore M6100, 12-speed
Rear derailleurShimano Deore M6100, long cage
CrankE*thirteen E*spec Plus, 165 mm length
Crank armE*thirteen E*spec Plus, 170 mm length
ChainringE*thirteen E*spec, 32T alloy ring, 55 mm chainline
CassetteShimano Deore M6100, 10-51, 12-speed
ChainShimano Deore M6100, 12-speed
Max. chainring sizeMax: 34T Min: 30T
Components
expand_less
SaddleBontrager Arvada, steel rails, 138 mm width
*SeatpostSize: S
TranzX JD-YSI-22PLQ, 100 mm travel, internal routing, 34.9 mm, 346 mm length
Size: M
TranzX JD-YSI-22PLQ, 150 mm travel, internal routing, 34.9 mm, 454 mm length
Size: L, XL
TranzX JD-YSI-22PLQ, 170 mm travel, internal routing, 34.9 mm, 497 mm length
HandlebarBontrager Rhythm Comp, alloy, 31.8 mm, 15 mm rise, 750 mm width
GripsBontrager XR Trail Comp, nylon lock-on
StemBontrager alloy, 31.8 mm, Blendr-compatible, 7-degree, 50 mm length
BrakeShimano 4-piston hydraulic disc, MT4100 lever, MT420 calliper
Brake rotorShimano RT66, 6-bolt, 203 mm
I’m in Canada, this is what’s on my husband’s 9.5 as well. So Deore cassette and brakes too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles