Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Build

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
I made the following changes to the oroginal 9.5:
- Rock Shox Lyrik Ultimate Charger 3 RC2 in 150 mm
- Rock Shox super deluxe Ultimate RC2
- Syntace Vector Carbon Bar and headset
- Full Sram X01 Eagle drivetrain with maybe a small 30T chainring from Raceface or Garbaruk (this will be decided after the first rides if 30T really needed or if I stay with 32T)
- Acros Enduro Carbon rims mullet with Maxxis DHR 2.4 and DHF 2.5
- Kind Shock Lev Integra 200mm dropper post with Selle Italia Flite saddle
- Trickstuff direttissima brakes (I will move them from my actual Liteville 301 MK12)
- Syntace pedals number 9 Titan (also from my existing bike)

Yesterday I had my first ride and it feels great. In eco (max 80W) and mid (max 150W) motor is practically silent, in max it can be heard but it is not annoying. I think in eco 1500-1800 meters elevation are possible. Went down on a S1/S2 trail and it felt great also down. Very smooth on the fast parts of the trail and enough adsorbing on the rough stuff.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Mine's still basically stock, apart from the 160mm Lyrik.
PXL_20230319_120651273.jpeg

Small niggles aside, I really like the way the bike rides. It's my first proper emtb and it does exactly what I hoped - smooth, quiet, great geometry, and rides like a (slightly heavy) regular bike. No range anxiety since I'm still used to an analogue bike and it's fine with the assist switched off.

Really gotta sort out that front brake cable...!

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Mine's still basically stock, apart from the 160mm Lyrik.
View attachment 109667

Small niggles aside, I really like the way the bike rides. It's my first proper emtb and it does exactly what I hoped - smooth, quiet, great geometry, and rides like a (slightly heavy) regular bike. No range anxiety since I'm still used to an analogue bike and it's fine with the assist switched off.

Really gotta sort out that front brake cable...!
My cables were like that too. Very satisfying to get the sorted.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Has anyone got any opinions on 150mm vs 160mm travel up front?
I dont think there is any downside to have 160mm in the front - especially if you can do it by just buying a new air spring for the fork rather than having to buy an entire fork.

Bullit

Jan 14, 2023
Germany
I had ordered the Fuel EXE 9.8 GX AXS, but after the delivery date kept being pushed back, I decided on an existing 9.5.
I then invested the saved money in some nice parts:

-Öhlins RXF 38 and TTX2
-I9 Hubs with Lilienthal Rims
-Direttissima Brakes
-OneUp pedals and bar
-AXS derailleur
-ERA carbon cranks
K1600_exe.JPG

View attachment DSC09134.jpg
The RXF surprised me very positively, very comfortable and yet good ground feedback.
Despite the large fork, the weight remains relatively low. 18.9 kg with pedals.

edit: smaller picture size

Last edited:

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
I had ordered the Fuel EXE 9.8 GX AXS, but after the delivery date kept being pushed back, I decided on an existing 9.5.

-Öhlins RXF 38 and TTX2
-Direttissima Brakes
-OneUp pedals and bar
-AXS derailleur
-ERA carbon cranks
View attachment 110138
The RXF surprised me very positively, very comfortable and yet good ground feedback.

Did you consider RXF36?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Here is my current build:

Build Kit:

- X01 AXS derailleur and shifter
- X01 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Nox Farlow; 27.5 rear wheel / 29 front wheel (gonna run it mullet)
- DT Swiss Competition Spokes
- Deity Bladerunner pedals
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- Deity Skywire 35 mm handlebars
- 5DEV 155 mm cranks
- Shimano XTR brakes
- Bike Yoke Revive dropper post, 160 mm
- Rck Shox Super Ultimate Deluxe coil shock w/ Sprindex coil
- Fox 36 Performance Elite 160 mm fork
- Specialized Power Arc Pro seat
- SRAM HS2 disc brake rotors - 200 mm
- Bridgestone Kryptotal RE 27.5 (rear tire); Kryptotal FR 29 (front tire)
- Lizard Skin Peatty lock-on grips
- Jagwire braided cables
- Trek Range Extender (should arrive in less than a month)

CF82D9E6-614F-4D56-8FFD-11EC43D2FE37.jpeg

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy

Build Kit:

- X01 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- 5DEV 155 mm cranks
- Shimano XTR brakes
- Jagwire braided cables

View attachment 110160
Just a quick question: how do you like the geometry with 160mm fork in combination with mullet? Is it not a too flat drive angle?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Just a quick question: how do you like the geometry with 160mm fork in combination with mullet? Is it not a too flat drive angle?
I really like this in mullet. This is my first mullet. It definitely makes it a little more agile and able to handle tight corners and switchbacks better. As an example, my Orbea Rise was 29”/29” with a shorter wheelbase. The mullet EXe still handles tight stuff better.

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
I
I really like this in mullet. This is my first mullet. It definitely makes it a little more agile and able to handle tight corners and switchbacks better. As an example, my Orbea Rise was 29”/29” with a shorter wheelbase. The mullet EXe still handles tight stuff better.
have been riding mullet alver the last 8 years (27.5/26) pedal bike nd I loved it. I made my 9.5 built also mullet, but I got a 150mm fork, therefore I asked how it feel because maybe I might choae to longer my fork with another air spring.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire

-Öhlins RXF 38 and TTX2
-Direttissima Brakes
-OneUp pedals and bar
-AXS derailleur
-ERA carbon cranks
View attachment 110188
View attachment 110138

edit: smaller picture size
Nice. How much travel do you have front/rear?

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire

Build Kit:

- X01 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- 5DEV 155 mm cranks
- Shimano XTR brakes
- Jagwire braided cables

View attachment 110160
How do you find it with the coil? Are you running a bit of additional stroke? Plenty of clearance with the smaller rear wheel I guess.

I have an old bike with coil suspension (2007 SX Trail II) and always loved the feel of the ride. Tempted to do the same as you.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
160 mm / 152 mm
I tried 65mm stroke for 152mm rear travel too but I got a bit scared looking at clearance on hard compressions,so I have ordered a 2.5mm spacer making it 146mm instead.
Balancing the 6mm extra travel vs potential issues with the rear triangle made the choice easy for me.
I urge you do release all air ( or use no spring and compress you frame completely) and the factor in a bit of flex too. I got scared. Maybe you are more brave than me :)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I tried 65mm stroke for 152mm rear travel too but I got a bit scared looking at clearance on hard compressions,so I have ordered a 2.5mm spacer making it 146mm instead.
Balancing the 6mm extra travel vs potential issues with the rear triangle made the choice easy for me.
I urge you do release all air ( or use no spring and compress you frame completely) and the factor in a bit of flex too. I got scared. Maybe you are more brave than me :)
Agree - I had a look at mine using a 65mm stroke shock from my other bike, and it looks too close for comfort - the bridge between the seat stays comes very close to the seat tube - all it would take is a bit of flex in the system somewhere and there would be a nasty crunching sound.

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
Agree - I had a look at mine using a 65mm stroke shock from my other bike, and it looks too close for comfort - the bridge between the seat stays comes very close to the seat tube - all it would take is a bit of flex in the system somewhere and there would be a nasty crunching sound.
But if you run it mullet - 27.5 at the rear then this should give enough space given the smaller diameter of the wheel, right?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
But if you run it mullet - 27.5 at the rear then this should give enough space given the smaller diameter of the wheel, right?
It might/should do if you run the bike in the mino link high position as this would move the seat stay bridge further away from the seat tube, but I didnt try this out. It has nothing to do with the wheel size as such , its the seat stay bridge that is the potential problem.

1679922192559.png

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
It might/should do if you run the bike in the mino link high position as this would move the seat stay bridge further away from the seat tube, but I didnt try this out. It has nothing to do with the wheel size as such , its the seat stay bridge that is the potential problem.

View attachment 110224
Yes, you are absolutely right - I forgot about this bridge. Thank you for the selfexplaining picture...

Bullit

Jan 14, 2023
Germany
Of course I had tested it beforehand. :)
I've been riding like this for 4 months now and have already had a few hard compressions where the full suspension travel was used. I'm sure it fits without a problem.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
How do you find it with the coil? Are you running a bit of additional stroke? Plenty of clearance with the smaller rear wheel I guess.

I have an old bike with coil suspension (2007 SX Trail II) and always loved the feel of the ride. Tempted to do the same as you.
I like it with the coil. I ran the Fox Float X2 for a bit before this coil. I definitely like the coil better. I did not over stroke the coil, I am at 140 mm rear travel.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I like it with the coil. I ran the Fox Float X2 for a bit before this coil. I definitely like the coil better. I did not over stroke the coil, I am at 140 mm rear travel.
I thought about coil but I'm worried about bottoming out all the time on such a relatively linier frame, or having to use a too hard spring making coil a bit pointless. Are you using a shock with HBO or maybe a progressive shock? Don't you have problems bottoming out when the frame only have 20% average progression?

Last edited:

Aloh92

Mar 28, 2023
Sweden
Hello! I was wondering if anyone can explain this to me. I just bought the 9.5 and intend to replace the fork to a Lyrik ultimate. I'm a noob when it comes to bike mechanics and never replaced a fork before. When I look at the specs the EXe has a 1.8 tapered headset at the bottom. I can't find a single fork with the 1.8 tapered steerer tube online so what am I missing? Is a normal 1.5 fork going to fit?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hello! I was wondering if anyone can explain this to me. I just bought the 9.5 and intend to replace the fork to a Lyrik ultimate. I'm a noob when it comes to bike mechanics and never replaced a fork before. When I look at the specs the EXe has a 1.8 tapered headset at the bottom. I can't find a single fork with the 1.8 tapered steerer tube online so what am I missing? Is a normal 1.5 fork going to fit?
exe just has a normal tapered steerer - any tapered steer fork will fit.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I don't think you can buy a new lyrik with the wrong steerer.
But if you have never done it before, make sure you have tools to peel off the headset bottom gear/stop and get it on the new fork (with proper tools preferably so you don't mess it up). You CAN make your own tools from plastic pipe or such but you need to get the right diameter.
You need to cut the steerer in length and you need to install a star nut.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles