Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Build

joel.nz

Apr 15, 2023
Wellington NZ
Hey folks

I went down the path of buying the 9.5 because the Matt Black looks soo awesome.
Working through a few upgrades from stock:

Completed:
Stans Flow rims w/ DHRII/Assegai tyres w/ HOPE Pro 4 hubs
Fox 38 Factory fork -160mm travel
SRAM XG-1299 and XX1 chain, w/ 30T chainring
SRAM GX Eagle AXS
DYEDBRO protector

To do in next few months:
Hope Tech 4 V4 brakes, braided, and rotors
Rear shock either Fox or Rockshox
TQ Control box and AXS hardwire cable

Bike is amazing, even for me @ 100kg. I have had the TQ LCD screen replaced twice under warranty! First at 1 month, then at 6 months with the V02 LCD.

IMG_0731.JPG

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Hey folks

I went down the path of buying the 9.5 because the Matt Black looks soo awesome.

Completed:
SRAM GX Eagle AXS
DYEDBRO protector

Bike is amazing, even for me @ 100kg. I have had the TQ LCD screen replaced twice under warranty! First at 1 month, then at 6 months with the V02 LCD.

View attachment 112179
what went wrong with the LCD?
How would one identify v1 vs v2?

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hey folks

Completed:
SRAM GX Eagle AXS
DYEDBRO protector

View attachment 112179
whats the different with the V1 lcd and V2 lcd? Can you post some pics of the v2 lcd?

joel.nz

Apr 15, 2023
Wellington NZ
That's a great question - the bike shop said they replaced it with version 2 - and that they have had no issues with the latest version but have had several with the first.

I assumed the code 'V02' on the back was version two but I cant find any information on the internet. I will check the back of my new display and let you know.

The first fault I had was the display wouldn't turn on, even when plugged in. The LEDs on the battery showed as 100% full. It did have a few comms errors when on the diag machine, so they replaced the LCD under warranty. (from another shop floor bike)

The second fault 5 months later caused the bike to turn off and display fault code 0416 on the display. Turning off then on would reset fault for 10 or so minutes then the bike would power off again. When I got it back home and charged it, it seemed to be fine, except the display wouldn't turn off (it would turn off then turn on straight away by itself).
The diagnostic machine showed the fault code, so they replaced the LCD with a version 2 (which I am now going to check and somewhat doubting based on my quick internet search).

Hope this helps.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
I'm pretty sure only the Trek Fuel EXe and the Trek Domane+ have the V02 display. The other brands such as BMC, Scott, etc with the TQ motor has the V01 display.

LEFT V01 vs V02 on RIGHT.

1682370608406.png

Minerve

Apr 25, 2023
Switzerland
Hi.
No, the left screen does not exist on the Fuel Exe.
To recognize a V01 from a V02, you just have to look at the cable outlet.

V01:
01.png

V02 :
02.png

Minerve

Apr 25, 2023
Switzerland
Humm... Ok, I see better, sorry... then you may be right because your left version above is used by the new Rotwild.
But the V01 doesn't exist for the Fuel EXE, so when the guys say they put together a V02... it's not a new, more reliable or stronger version, it's just the screen version that matches the Fuel EXE.

Rotwild_R.X275_Review-Test_E-MTB_WEB-0834-1536x1025.jpg

Last edited:

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Almost finished mine:
L-size ex- e 9.5
Ohlins rxf 36m2 on front
Ohlins ttx22m2
Sram GX AXS
Bikeyoke dropper post 185mm
Deathgrip grips
DMR Vault pedals
Garbaruk casette
Dt swiss 240 + Stans ztr flow ex3
WTB tires Vigiliante 2.3 rear and Verdict 2.5 on front + Pepi’s inserts
Hope Tech4 V4 brakes with Hope brake discs
Protection film from Highfivestyling (Polish brand)

Just waiting for handlebar and sattle to have my dream bike, and need to test suspension to figure out what coil will work best
IMG_5172.jpg

Last edited:

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Hi all. Looking at the Trek website I noticed the weight difference between the 9.5 and 9.9 is about 2.5Kg. That's quite a lot given the frame/motor/battery/[fork]/tyres are the same for both builds.

General question for the 9.5 upgraders thread: where is the weight difference coming from? Lots of small savings I guess, but presumably there are some components that make a significant difference - which are these? Wheels, cassette, bars...?

I'm not about to get obsessive about weight saving, but i will end up changing a few more bits, so would be good to know which ones help to shed some bulk as I do that.

Thanks

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi all. Looking at the Trek website I noticed the weight difference between the 9.5 and 9.9 is about 2.5Kg. That's quite a lot given the frame/motor/battery/[fork]/tyres are the same for both builds.

General question for the 9.5 upgraders thread: where is the weight difference coming from? Lots of small savings I guess, but presumably there are some components that make a significant difference - which are these? Wheels, cassette, bars...?

I'm not about to get obsessive about weight saving, but i will end up changing a few more bits, so would be good to know which ones help to shed some bulk as I do that.

Thanks

The extra weight is in almost every other component really , but some of the worst offenders are

- the wheels - probably 500g heavier, maybe more
- the forks - probably 500g heavier
-the cassette - probably 300g heavier

There there are the saddle, bars, cranks.

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy

Thanks
Hi,
further up I described my build starting from a 9.5 and at the end I ended up at 17,9 kg (pedals included). A part from the frame and the cranks I changed everything.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
The extra weight is in almost every other component really , but some of the worst offenders are

- the wheels - probably 500g heavier, maybe more
- the forks - probably 500g heavier
-the cassette - probably 300g heavier

There there are the saddle, bars, cranks.
Is that 500g per wheel do you think?

Only ~200g difference between the forks, according to google.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
Hi,
further up I described my build starting from a 9.5 and at the end I ended up at 17,9 kg (pedals included). A part from the frame and the cranks I changed everything.
Interesting. Looks like you've got the original cranks? I don't suppose you saved a bunch on suspension (shock with piggy back slightly heavier?). So mainly you've shed weight from wheels, (tyres?), bars, drivetrain?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Is that 500g per wheel do you think?

Only ~200g difference between the forks, according to google.
I suspect 500g in total across both wheels, but I havent weighed them so maybe its actually more. I do know they are seriously heavy, the rear is very heavy, they're also very weak and the hub is terrible.

I thought lyrics were about 1800g, but its seems they are ~2000g.

My stock 9.5 in size large weighed 19.9kg without pedals, its now 19kg without pedals. I've changed pretty much everything except for the frame,motor ,cranks and seatpost, but I'm not prioritising a lightweight build over other things, I went for fitness for purpose for my riding as a priority, so some parts I fitted are actually heavier than what I took off, like the rear tyre, the fox 36 ebike forks etc.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich

Thanks

Wheels are super heavy, beefy rotors (I had 2.3mm TRP in mine), calipers are also heavier, dropper post as well, suntur casette also is not light, cockpit (alu vs. integrated carbon)

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
Interesting. Looks like you've got the original cranks? I don't suppose you saved a bunch on suspension (shock with piggy back slightly heavier?). So mainly you've shed weight from wheels, (tyres?), bars, drivetrain?
...and brakes. Cranks and chainring are original. Main is wheels (Acros carbon rims and mullet set up), I probably lost nearly 1 kg there, tyres probably nothing because I am on Maxxis Minion DHR/DHF in Exe+. 300gr on Drivetrain, 300 on supensions, a few on brakes, stem and bar. And at the end you find 2 kg...

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I am on a 9.5 and changed every part, except the chain ring. I am running mullet with 160 fork. I can run this 2 ways as I have parts for both.

Originally the bike was built with a Float X2, carbon 160 mm cranks and trail casing tires. The bike weighed 18.86 kg (41.5 lbs), ready to ride. I changed the cranks to aluminum 155 mm, enduro casing tires, and a coil shock on the rear. In this configuration, the EXe is 19.4 kg (42.75 lbs). I like the bike better with this setup and do not notice the additional weight.

All these weights are as advertised and about what I expected given this is a large frame and Trek does not weigh them with pedals.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Hi,
I don't get how you get it so light.
I also started out with a 9.5 and changed everything. With xmc 1200 wheels same shock and similar fork, carbon bar and XT cassette I end up with 19.2kg. Stock tyres.
So where does the 1.1kg come from?
I think either my weight or your weight is somehow broken.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I also started out with a 9.5 and changed everything. With xmc 1200 wheels same shock and similar fork, carbon bar and XT cassette I end up with 19.2kg. Stock tyres.
I think your scales are overreading probably - mine weighs about the same as yours except I have heavier wheels (dt swiss hx1501), heavier fork (2020 fox 36 ebike fork), and heavier tyres (maxxis DD on the rear)

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
19.2 is nearly the original weight of a 9.5...I have a mid size, and I think I gaind already 700gr just on the wheels. Another 300 on the drivetrain and 300 on fork and shock. 2-300 (if not more on the brakes). I also changed the dropper post and the saddle (selle italia flite). Adding all this with some very light pedals (my Syntace number nine weigh only 280 gr.) Syntace bar and stem, I gained those 2 kg to get from 19.9 to 17.9.

Bradleybourbon

Jul 3, 2023
Fairfield, CA
Started my 9.5 build last week. Stealing parts from my Santa Cruz Megatower and Hightower before I sell them.
Upgrades so far:
Invisaframe with color decals
Industry Nine Enduro 310C with Hydra Hubs
Schwalbe Eddy Current Front Super Trail 29 X 2.6 Tire
Schwalbe Eddy Current Rear Super Gravity 29 X 2.6 Tire
SRAM GX AXS (will be changed later)
SRAM Reverb AXS Dropper (Cane creek 31.6 to 34.9 seatpost shim)
Fox 36 with Push ACS3 150mm (will be changed later)
Raceface SixC Carbon Handlebar (will be changed later)
Industry Nine A35 Stem
Ergon GE1 Grips
Shimano XT-8120 4 Piston Front and Rear Brakes
Shimano XT Ice Tech Rotors (203 Front and Rear)
XTR SPD Pedals
ENVE Carbon Bottle Cage
Industry Nine Matchstix thru-axle

Currently installing the TQ Smart Box and AXS Adapter Cable. I need to talk to someone at a Trek to figure out what part I need to connect to the derailleur. Plus I need a firmware update once I plug in the the Smart Box so just a heads up for anyone wanting to do this.
Ergon E-Mountain Core Prime Saddle (delivering this week)

Future Upgrades:
Range Extender (I need to back order it but I already purchased the cable and mount)
Push 11-6 (should release in the next few weeks according to Darren)
Push Fork (product name unknown)
SRAM Transmission (waiting on Wolftooth to make a 34 tooth direct mount chainring or able to purchase the spider)
TyreWiz
Cushcore E-BIKE Inserts (August)
Crank Arms and handlebar (undecided)

I only have have one ride in so far but I was impressed and excited making the transition from analog to digital.

70926246832__6FB3E9D8-9C18-4217-85E0-72BACAAB42B2.jpeg 70926891970__067D4361-B733-47F9-929C-E2778656A901.jpeg 70926955921__C0F71459-4A57-4354-98FB-CA9F00E0483E.jpeg 70942905201__B1B03B75-D160-4999-97C1-D622ACC6DB8E.jpeg

Last edited:

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia
Realised I never posted my build in the 9.5 thread!
I picked mine up as they were heavily discounted here in Australia in June and the dealer near work had a Large in matte black - the best colour IMO.
I moved over the wheels, saddle, forks and cockpit from my Banshee Prime and installed a set of TRP G-Spec DHR brakes I got for a bargain and a Yep Joystick lever.
It rides really well, but I need to work on my cadence to get the most out of it!

Future upgrades are maybe a new saddle and rear shock at some point. Other than that, I'm really happy with it!

1689302974476.png

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
K-edge do them too, I also have a knock-off AliExpress one on my hardtail that cost about 10AUD posted that does the job

Yes, although I find the K-edge versions are overpriced and don't have the higher "kink" which allows you to fit them above a positive rise stem.

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia
Yes, although I find the K-edge versions are overpriced and don't have the higher "kink" which allows you to fit them above a positive rise stem.
They do a Boost mount too, and yes agree they are a bit pricey!

This is what I have on my hardtail:

Where do you ride @Nugget ? I normally hit up Kalamunda on a weekend

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles