Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Build

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I thought about coil but I'm worried about bottoming out all the time on such a relatively linier frame, or having to use a too hard spring making coil a bit pointless. Are you using a shock with HBO or maybe a progressive shock? Don't you have problems bottoming out when the frame only have 20% average progression?

no problems bottoming out. The coil feels plush through the stroke. The new Rockshox Super Ultimate Deluxe has a hydraulic bottom out on the coil. I am running the Sprindex coil, which is a little on the heavy side, but the spring rate is fully adjustable in 5 lb increments; you can adjust on the fly with only twisting a plastic piece at the bottom of the coil. This is great if you add a few pouds of water of something for a big ride, you can just dial up the spring rate a little. I was under the understanding the Sprindex coil was progressive, but someone else advised me it is digressive; I am not sure which it is, but I am happy with the setup.

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
Some really nice custom 9.5 builds on this thread. I think the 9.5 is the perfect platform to build from with your own tailored components. Here’s mine only just a day from rolling out the LBS:
-2019 Lyrik Ultimate 160mm from existing bike
-mullet setup with LB carbon wheels laced to DT Swiss 240 hubs, Cushcore in rear tire
- Maxxis Dissectors front and rear but maybe should have gone for Minion DHR2 at front
-Eagle AXS Gx rear mech and X01 cassette
-Code RSC brakes and HS2 rotors
-DMR Vaults
-Easton carbon bar 35mm with Oneup 50mm stem and Ergon grips
-Nukeproof saddle
- stock dropper post was surprisingly decent but replaced the rubbish dropper remote with a Wolftooth remote

Will ride this for a bit and maybe see about upgrading rear shock
EBC86C98-A95B-4D5F-9331-0E935FDCD352.jpeg

Last edited:

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
Picked up a 9.5 in matt black while they were $2k off but only had the opportunity to ride it a few times up and down the street before heading off on holidays. (Had a great time in Tasmania riding Derby, St Helens and Maydena as well as catching the Enduro World Cup) Have been busy since we returned with the following mods -
  • Invisiframe frame and fork protection
  • 160mm Zeb Ultimate (would have preferred a Lyrik but out of stock and Zeb was same price)
  • Super Deluxe Ulitmate shock with 65mm stroke (no clearance issues for anyone who's wondering)
  • Hope tech 4 E4 brakes with beefier rotors
  • Swapped the Deore derailleur and shifter for SLX (Only because I had a set in the cupboard! Would ideally like AXS but the existing works just fine. Will reconsider when it's replacement time)
  • Race Face fat grips
  • DHR/Assegai combo.
Stock wheels seem fine to me and prefer alloy for the trails I ride.

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
Picked up a 9.5 in matt black while they were $2k off but only had the opportunity to ride it a few times up and down the street before heading off on holidays. (Had a great time in Tasmania riding Derby, St Helens and Maydena as well as catching the Enduro World Cup) Have been busy since we returned with the following mods -
  • Invisiframe frame and fork protection
  • 160mm Zeb Ultimate (would have preferred a Lyrik but out of stock and Zeb was same price)
  • Super Deluxe Ulitmate shock with 65mm stroke (no clearance issues for anyone who's wondering)
  • Hope tech 4 E4 brakes with beefier rotors
  • Swapped the Deore derailleur and shifter for SLX (Only because I had a set in the cupboard! Would ideally like AXS but the existing works just fine. Will reconsider when it's replacement time)
  • Race Face fat grips
  • DHR/Assegai combo.
Stock wheels seem fine to me and prefer alloy for the trails I ride.
Update after covering q few k's.
Initially thought I'd made a mistake with the Zeb, it was the opposite of supple, however it's loosened up a bit and is now riding a treat. So quiet, good support on the steep stuff and the buttercups really do save on the arm pump.
In hindsight I think a 62.5 shock would be better than a 65. Been hard to get it feeling balanced front and rear. Think it's pretty good now or perhaps I've just gotten used to it!
Overall, loving it. So quiet, even when dropping through steep rocky sections. Weight was an issue at first but soon adapted. Doesn't seem as fast when riding it but the times say otherwise. Maybe because it's so quiet compared to my normal bike.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
So 3rd ride and now have the infamous loose hub already <sigh>. Has anybody discovered root cause or is it a straight warranty job? New wheels is on the list but not this soon!
warranty and hope for an upgrade. sell them as soon as you get them back if they don't.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
For comparison I weighted OEM wheels from 9.5 and compare with my rather heavy and bulletproof Stans ZTR flow ex3 with DT swiss 240, Galfer brake disc (223 on front), inner tubes (pepi’s) and WTB tires (vigiliante tought on rear and verdict light on front), and Garbaruk 10-52 cassette.

My 9.5 came with tubes (tubeless system delivered in box) and 2.3mm TPR disc brakes.

OEM front - 2584g
OEM REAR - 3551g

stans ex3 front - 2635g
Stans ex3 rear - 2971g

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
People with the 9.5 fuel exe - are you able to get full travel out of the shock?

with mine set at the correct sag (30%), I cant get anywhere near to using the full 60mm of stroke, I always have 8mm-10mm still showing. I've taken the air can apart and confirmed there are no volume spacers/tokens fitted.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Has anyone got any opinions on the need for a fox 36 'E' ready shock vs the standard?
"e-ready" huh?
Considering that all normal bikes parts are made with people between 50kg and 110kg in mind, I always though it was really funny how they managed to trick people into thinking they need special parts for a bike that is 6 kg heavier than a normal bike. Drivetrain is different though, but shocks forks and brakes are just a sales bullshit gimmick.

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
People with the 9.5 fuel exe - are you able to get full travel out of the shock?

with mine set at the correct sag (30%), I cant get anywhere near to using the full 60mm of stroke, I always have 8mm-10mm still showing. I've taken the air can apart and confirmed there are no volume spacers/tokens fitted.
Yeah I get full stroke, a bit too often actually, might look for something different in time.

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
"e-ready" huh?
Considering that all normal bikes parts are made with people between 50kg and 110kg in mind, I always though it was really funny how they managed to trick people into thinking they need special parts for a bike that is 6 kg heavier than a normal bike. Drivetrain is different though, but shocks forks and brakes are just a sales bullshit gimmick.
A normal bike with 110kg rider is NOT going to be doing 25kph up hill through a rock garden. E-bike tunes have nothing to do with weight, they're about differing use cases.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich

Yes I did it already (and make only 27km from new), I lower sag to 25% to manage it.
I tried only on local trail - nothing really extreme. Never had tis issue in acoustic EX9,7 on same trail

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
A normal bike with 110kg rider is NOT going to be doing 25kph up hill through a rock garden. E-bike tunes have nothing to do with weight, they're about differing use cases.
Maybe a 110kg man will not go full ham in a rock garden, but he still exerts more force on the equipment than a 50kg that does.
But here are still a lot more than 6kg difference between 60 kg and 90kg which definitely falls square in to what the bike is made for and you will find riders of all skill levels in that bracket.

Anyway, if it's not the weight that makes the tune different in a shock/fork from analogue to ebike, then what is it?
I look forward to hear this.

Last edited:

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
Maybe a 110kg man will not go full ham in a rock garden, but he still exerts more force on the equipment than a 50kg that does.
But here are still a lot more than 6kg difference between 60 kg and 90kg which definitely falls square in to what the bike is made for and you will find riders of all skill levels in that bracket.

Anyway, if it's not the weight that makes the tune different in a shock/fork from analogue to ebike, then what is it?
I look forward to hear this.
There you go again, focusing on weight. I thought I spelt it out but apparently not. Here's what Fox have to say

"FOX’s e-MTB Tuned forks feature the same chassis as our standard forks except with a custom damper and air spring tune for the slightly different ways in which e-MTBs are ridden as compared to standard MTBs. For example, e-MTBs allow riders to conquer technical rolling terrain with greater ease than is possible on a standard MTB. In order to utilize the assistance provided by the bike in this type of riding the rider must keep pedaling. It’s difficult to maintain traction while pedaling over rough terrain. Therefore, our e-MTB Tuned forks feature a custom compression tune that helps keep the wheels glued to the ground at all times, maintaining traction and forward momentum, and a more progressive air spring tune to make sure that even though the initial stroke is softer the end stroke ramps up to provide the right amount of support for those bigger hits. These may seem like subtle differences but optimizing to even the smallest degree is a trait we’ve learned the importance of over our many years of winning races – sometimes by the smallest of margins."

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Yes I did it already (and make only 27km from new), I lower sag to 25% to manage it.
I tried only on local trail - nothing really extreme. Never had tis issue in acoustic EX9,7 on same trail
Yeah I get full stroke, a bit too often actually, might look for something different in time.
Thanks both - thats interesting, I cant get anywhere near full travel on mine. I'm not especially light weight either (82kg).

I guess I just need to try harder

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
There you go again, focusing on weight. I thought I spelt it out but apparently not. Here's what Fox have to say

"FOX’s e-MTB Tuned forks feature the same chassis as our standard forks except with a custom damper and air spring tune for the slightly different ways in which e-MTBs are ridden as compared to standard MTBs. For example, e-MTBs allow riders to conquer technical rolling terrain with greater ease than is possible on a standard MTB. In order to utilize the assistance provided by the bike in this type of riding the rider must keep pedaling. It’s difficult to maintain traction while pedaling over rough terrain. Therefore, our e-MTB Tuned forks feature a custom compression tune that helps keep the wheels glued to the ground at all times, maintaining traction and forward momentum, and a more progressive air spring tune to make sure that even though the initial stroke is softer the end stroke ramps up to provide the right amount of support for those bigger hits. These may seem like subtle differences but optimizing to even the smallest degree is a trait we’ve learned the importance of over our many years of winning races – sometimes by the smallest of margins."

You can't fault Fox for wanting to sell "special" forks to suckers and call them special and tuned for that purpose.
If you believe that salesbullshit I have a bridge to sell you.
Once you look at what "tune" they actually have, it's just a slightly different shim stack for slightly different damping. Exactly like you would do for a heavier rider. There is nothing special about it. "Ramping up" is called tokens and have been a tuning parameter in forks and shocks since forever. Pretty much also focused on weight (and riding style, but a rider on an EMTB does not have a vastly different riding style compared to him on a normal mtb).
Emtbs ride the same trails at mostly the same speeds as normal mtb. If you want to believe there is something special about them, ok sure - if it makes you feel good.

I'm willing to change my mind if you can come with a way to tune a fork especially for emtb that does not mainly just take weight into consideration. What parameters would you change and why?

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Stupid question but you have it unlocked of course? In which case, try some bigger features! :)
not a silly question, but yep it is unlocked.

Its odd because on my 2 other bikes that have 160 and 170mm travel and quite progressive leverage curves I usually get within a couple of mm of bottoming out, but on this trek which is supposed to be quite a linear leverage curve and only 140mm travel, I cant get anywhere near full travel riding the same trails, and as a result the rear end feels a bit spiky

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Well, clearly you know more about it than anyone else. Can't wait for your suspension designs to hit the the market.
You don't need to have a suspension factory to know these basics.

I'm willing to change my mind if you can come with a way to tune a fork especially for emtb that does not mainly just take weight into consideration. What parameters would you change and why?

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
You don't need to have a suspension factory to know these basics.

OMG, did you even read it?? You can ride up some seriously steep shit on an e-bike that you wouldn't even attempt on a normal bike but to do that you need traction. A lighter damping tune results in increased traction from maintaining better contact irrespective of weight.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
OMG, did you even read it?? You can ride up some seriously steep shit on an e-bike that you wouldn't even attempt on a normal bike but to do that you need traction. A lighter damping tune results in increased traction from maintaining better contact irrespective of weight.
So you think they put a lighter damper tune in the ebike forks and shocks? lol.
I mean...just think about this for more than ½ a second please. What would this do to descending capabilities of the bike do you think?

Last edited:

MikeP

Oct 31, 2022
West Berkshire
That is odd. I'm 80Kg and don't need to do anything extreme to get full travel. I've never felt it bottom out, but I can see I use full travel on every ride. Start from a tad less than 30% sag.
Thanks both - thats interesting, I cant get anywhere near full travel on mine. I'm not especially light weight either (82kg).

I guess I just need to try harder

volts

May 15, 2018
DK

I can get full travel without any bigger problems.
I have had 3 different shocks mounted.
RS stock shock (full travel)
Fox float x @ 65mm stroke (only almost full use, didn't dare push at since 65mm stroke got the bridge rather close to seat tube)
RS SD ult with HBO @ 62.5mm stroke (full travel)

If you aren't doing big drops etc. and you feel the shock is working well and aren't being too harsh, I don't think need to to worry about not using full travel. Full travel is for when you push it as hard as you can, then it's ok to go full travel a few times (no more) on longer descends.
Otherwise, go by feel. Does it feel good? Don't stress it.
Does it feel like shit? Try the dials and different pressures methodically on a known descend. When you run out of options you can either buy a new shock or send it to a tuner for a better tune (for you and your riding) but you need to be very honest with the tuner about your trails, your goals and your capabilities on the bike for the tune to be any good.
I don't believe the rs shocks are the most tuneable but there is always something to be done.
If you want a very tuneable shock you get get a Manitou Mara Pro. I'm just not sure the king can can fit this bike so be aware that you might need another can. These are very tuneable shocks if you know someone who knows how to swap shim stacks.

Good luck!

clivem25

Mar 5, 2023
Perth Western Australia
So you think they put a lighter damper tune in the ebike forks and shocks? lol.
So Fox are lying about the differences?
What would this do to descending capabilities of the bike do you think?
Not a whole lot if you have an appropriate amount of ramp which could be just tokens as you have already noted.
You can't fault Fox for wanting to sell "special" forks to suckers and call them special and tuned for that purpose.
You know they're the same price right?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
So Fox are lying about the differences?

Not a whole lot if you have an appropriate amount of ramp which could be just tokens as you have already noted.

You know they're the same price right?
Fox did not write it was al lighter damper tune in the text you provided. But yeah, you seem very naive and kind of sweet if you believe all marketing claims you are being told.
Replacing damping with volume reducers is stupid, and is not what they do.

Yes they are the same price but they have tricked you in to thinking you need a new fork rather than moving the fork from your old bike to the new, and you can't sell your old fork now because all the people gobble up the marketing. Anyway, believe what you want. There is no way I can convince you with logic I guess. You already backed yourself into a corner where you now think ebikes get lighter damper tunes.

Btw RS Zeb ebike and non ebike is the same fork with an extra sticker on the ebike version. At least RS have a bit of efficiency in this matter. They play the suckers but are very honest internally that this is just a marketing gimmick sticker meant to make ebikers feel special or whatever the purpose is.
If there was an ebike specific version that gave more traction, generally anyone with that fork would be interested in getting that tune for their normal bike too, since it's just a better tune then.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles