Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe range extender

Thegodwit

Nov 1, 2022
Nelson, New Zealand
After more than a year (yes!) the range extender I ordered has finally arrived. I've managed without it so far and I'm wondering if I really need it. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, to share about this? Does it perform as expected? Incidentally, I think it's pretty galling to have to pay for the cable separately.

cshumphries

Jan 25, 2020
New Zealand
I got my Range Extender last week and went for a big ride Saturday - 53km with 1260m if climbing. Wouldn't have managed that without it. Seem to be getting 50% more range. Was riding in my modified ECO mode with a bit a mid assist.

JayGoodrich

Aug 11, 2023
Alpine, Wyoming
Just a thought for anyone waiting for the range extender like me… I have one on order. It’s been so long, and Treks forecast is now saying November for delivery, that I went with a second battery. On long rides it’s a simple swap by removing 2 bolts and disconnecting the cord. Literally takes me a minute and I have double the riding capacity. It’s lighter than carrying 2 extenders which I would need on some of our rides here. Battery fits in my Patagonia 20L pack no problem as well.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Just a thought for anyone waiting for the range extender like me… I have one on order. It’s been so long, and Treks forecast is now saying November for delivery, that I went with a second battery. On long rides it’s a simple swap by removing 2 bolts and disconnecting the cord. Literally takes me a minute and I have double the riding capacity. It’s lighter than carrying 2 extenders which I would need on some of our rides here. Battery fits in my Patagonia 20L pack no problem as well.

I got the same intel from my LBS yesterday. I might go the same route as you with the second battery. $/Wh it makes for sense.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I did the same thing. Very happy that I cancelled my range extender order and purchased the full spare battery.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Still waiting on mine and hopefully it's not November. Part of the appeal when I bought it was the range extender as I ride with some full size ebike friends. To not have it available by Trek is akin to a bit of bait and switch IMO

thorny

Aug 30, 2023
SoCal
I've been waiting for the EXE range extender for a full year. I am in SoCal USA. Yesterday official Trek dealer said "late November", but it has been pushed 2-3 months at a time for the entire year, so not much confidence in anything they say. Honestly, I believe it is illegal to advertise something that is not possible to purchase, in developed countries that is. I love the bike, but knowing this borehand would have weigh heavily in my purchase decison for light weight emtb. I need about 50% more capacity to meet my riding needs..

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I've been waiting for the EXE range extender for a full year. I am in SoCal USA. Yesterday official Trek dealer said "late November", but it has been pushed 2-3 months at a time for the entire year, so not much confidence in anything they say. Honestly, I believe it is illegal to advertise something that is not possible to purchase, in developed countries that is. I love the bike, but knowing this borehand would have weigh heavily in my purchase decison for light weight emtb. I need about 50% more capacity to meet my riding needs..
Feel the exact same way about my purchase. In all honesty I probably would NOT have purchased the bike if I had known that it wasn't available. Already had to bail out on a few rides early because battery was going to die

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I had the same situation and was sick of them pushing it out. I cancelled my order and went with a full size battery and backpack setup. I am really glad I did this. I can do 40+ miles now using only mid and high assist. It is only $150 more than the RE, but more than double the WH. The bike also retains the stealth looks, which is a major reason I purchased the bike. To me, it is a no brained.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
Its a joke. What is really odd is that they appear to be trickling out which is not a good sign. Its a TQ product. if anyone can save me the time and advise if the other TQ brands are getting some before I go down that rabbit hole?

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
I had the same situation and was sick of them pushing it out. I cancelled my order and went with a full size battery and backpack setup. I am really glad I did this. I can do 40+ miles now using only mid and high assist. It is only $150 more than the RE, but more than double the WH. The bike also retains the stealth looks, which is a major reason I purchased the bike. To me, it is a no brained.
That would be a great option, but I gave up packs long ago

Thegodwit

Nov 1, 2022
Nelson, New Zealand
I'm in Nelson NZ and finally have mine. When I went out with it the first time, I got an error message on the screen so couldn't use it. It seems the bike with the range extender in place needs a software update before it works.

BuzzCanada

Nov 23, 2022
Canada
Ordered range extender in June , initially told end of August for delivery, now told November, ordered 2nd full size battery. Arrives on Wednesday. Looking forward to some mega rides !! The problem with range extender batteries are parts availability for the battery , TQ has prioritized main batteries due to this reason.

QuackFU

Apr 25, 2023
USA
Ordered range extender in June , initially told end of August for delivery, now told November, ordered 2nd full size battery. Arrives on Wednesday. Looking forward to some mega rides !! The problem with range extender batteries are parts availability for the battery , TQ has prioritized main batteries due to this reason.
What's your source for this info?

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
I bought my Fuel EX-e in mid July and ordered the Range Extender at the same time. Just got an email that it has arrived and is ready for pickup!

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
I know two people who paid for them almost a year ago and nothing.
That's crazy, I was prepared to wait a very long time after reading all the posts about these things. I just picked mine up and the shop said it's only the second order that has arrived.

Roverbike

Apr 14, 2023
Florida
The primary reason I picked the fuel exe was to be able to travel with the bike and bring the 160w battery with me in my carry on (highest whattage allowed). So far I've missed 4 different opportunities to travel with the bike. Once I shipped the whole bike to a longer trip, but that get's expensive.

Has anyone successfully (and legally) shipped the battery separately?

I pre-paid the battery in April 2023, same as most here, LBS keeps on pushing the date of arrival....

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The primary reason I picked the fuel exe was to be able to travel with the bike and bring the 160w battery with me in my carry on (highest whattage allowed). So far I've missed 4 different opportunities to travel with the bike. Once I shipped the whole bike to a longer trip, but that get's expensive.

Has anyone successfully (and legally) shipped the battery separately?

I pre-paid the battery in April 2023, same as most here, LBS keeps on pushing the date of arrival....
I would check with UPS and FedEx. I shipped a 252 wh battery across country. No issues. I just had to disclose it was a battery so they could tag the box. If you know your destination, you could probably have it shipped in advance and pick it up at your destination. You would have a full size battery instead of 160 wh.

Scarboroguy

Sep 16, 2023
Trenton Ontario
Dumb question but are there any software issues with the battery swap that riders report with the extender?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles