Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Power Application

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
A couple of weeks ago I borrowed a friend's Fuel EXe to test. I liked the way it handled but was disappointed in the way the power was applied. Sometimes I'd pedal and I'd feel the power being applied, but other times I'd pedal and feel like there was no power there. It was bad enough that I'd hesitate to recommend the bike to fiends looking for a mid-power ebike. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this or maybe I was hallucinating.

I've been riding a 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo with the Brose motor for the last 4 years or so and also have a Specialized Vado SL with the Mahle motor for the road, so those are my points of reference.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
What settings - Assist levels, Peak Powers, Acceleration- were you using in the Trek test? The TQ motor has roughly similar power to the Mahle motor in your Vado SL (I have both) though much less than the Brose motor in your Levo.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
What settings - Assist levels, Peak Powers, Acceleration- were you using in the Trek test? The TQ motor has roughly similar power to the Mahle motor in your Vado SL (I have both) though much less than the Brose motor in your Levo.
I tried using the default assist levels and then changed the highest level to 100 assist/100peak. I started with acceleration at whatever the default level was and then tried setting it to 0 which is what I have on the Levo. It wasn't so much the power level. I expected the power to be considerably less than the Levo. It was more the inconsistency of how the power was applied.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
A couple of weeks ago I borrowed a friend's Fuel EXe to test. I liked the way it handled but was disappointed in the way the power was applied. Sometimes I'd pedal and I'd feel the power being applied, but other times I'd pedal and feel like there was no power there. It was bad enough that I'd hesitate to recommend the bike to fiends looking for a mid-power ebike. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this or maybe I was hallucinating.

I've been riding a 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo with the Brose motor for the last 4 years or so and also have a Specialized Vado SL with the Mahle motor for the road, so those are my points of reference.

sounds a bit odd, the assist is always present on mine unless I'm riding over the assist cut out speed. I have experienced what you talk about though when going over the cut out speed but not realising I am over the cut out speed, because the motor is so quiet its easy to be riding on the flat and you go over the cut out speed without realising it.

There is a known "quirk" of the motor where the power assist is very inconsistent if the crank arms have recently been removed and then refitted but at different positions on the motor axle, in this case it takes a few hundred meters (maybe 300m) of pedalling before the motor works out the new crank arm positions and then starts assisting properly again. But this quirk only occurs for a few hundred meters after refitting the crank arms, once the motor has worked out where the crank arms are everything goes back to normal unless you remove the crank arms again.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
sounds a bit odd, the assist is always present on mine unless I'm riding over the assist cut out speed. I have experienced what you talk about though when going over the cut out speed but not realising I am over the cut out speed, because the motor is so quiet its easy to be riding on the flat and you go over the cut out speed without realising it.

There is a known "quirk" of the motor where the power assist is very inconsistent if the crank arms have recently been removed and then refitted but at different positions on the motor axle, in this case it takes a few hundred meters (maybe 300m) of pedalling before the motor works out the new crank arm positions and then starts assisting properly again. But this quirk only occurs for a few hundred meters after refitting the crank arms, once the motor has worked out where the crank arms are everything goes back to normal unless you remove the crank arms again.
I was on somewhat technical terrain, so I wasn't over the 20 mph cut out speed and the crank arms hadn't been removed. Since I haven't read about anyone else experiencing inconsistent power application, maybe it was just misperception on my part.

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia
See this thread here:
I was on somewhat technical terrain, so I wasn't over the 20 mph cut out speed and the crank arms hadn't been removed. Since I haven't read about anyone else experiencing inconsistent power application, maybe it was just misperception on my part.
Hi, see this thread here from this post on : Fuel EXe - Trek Fuel EXE Tuning

and also try searching a few pages back in the Megathread... inconsistent power delivery at certain power inputs is a known problem with this motor and TQ are aware of it.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
See this thread here:

Hi, see this thread here from this post on : Fuel EXe - Trek Fuel EXE Tuning

and also try searching a few pages back in the Megathread... inconsistent power delivery at certain power inputs is a known problem with this motor and TQ are aware of it.
Thank you for the link to that thread. The description sounds very much like what I experienced. Also, I remember now that at times I thought I heard a soft growling/grinding motor noise that didn't sound quite right. The Trek shop diagnostics didn't find anything wrong with the motor.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
It does seem to provide more power at a higher cadence. I think this is by design for battery management. Maybe that’s what you are experiencing. Mine so far has been flawless. I couldn’t be happier with my 9.7.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
I tried using the default assist levels and then changed the highest level to 100 assist/100peak. I started with acceleration at whatever the default level was and then tried setting it to 0 which is what I have on the Levo. It wasn't so much the power level. I expected the power to be considerably less than the Levo. It was more the inconsistency of how the power was applied.
I have had this experience on my Fuel EXe as well. A recent software update seemed to improve it quite a bit. Now I get power assistance much more consistently when climbing at a consistent speed. Before I would get the assistance when accelerating but then it would cut back when moving at a constant speed. It still seems to not provide enough power though. When I pedal at a consistent rider input of 150 watts I get between 60 and 150 watts, but not 250-300 as I would expect in high mode everything maxed out. I would recommend taking the bike to the shop and updating to the latest software. Good luck!

ATLI

Aug 24, 2021
France
To my knowledge, the latest firmware, which I have been using since April 07, 2023 for the motor, is: "1.4.132", For my Domane+ SLR bike, and... disappointing,
I am still waiting for a new motor, and an new firmware?...

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
I have had this experience on my Fuel EXe as well. A recent software update seemed to improve it quite a bit. Now I get power assistance much more consistently when climbing at a consistent speed. Before I would get the assistance when accelerating but then it would cut back when moving at a constant speed. It still seems to not provide enough power though. When I pedal at a consistent rider input of 150 watts I get between 60 and 150 watts, but not 250-300 as I would expect in high mode everything maxed out. I would recommend taking the bike to the shop and updating to the latest software. Good luck!
I'll have to check what the firmware on the bike is and see if there's a newer one.

konamac

Apr 6, 2023
Namibia
Thank you for the link to that thread. The description sounds very much like what I experienced. Also, I remember now that at times I thought I heard a soft growling/grinding motor noise that didn't sound quite right. The Trek shop diagnostics didn't find anything wrong with the motor.
The "soft growling" is definitely a part of the symptoms, and although current Diagnostics won't flag this error, TQ are aware of it and working on their diagnostics and faulty motors to train it to detect the issue.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
The "soft growling" is definitely a part of the symptoms, and although current Diagnostics won't flag this error, TQ are aware of it and working on their diagnostics and faulty motors to train it to detect the issue.
If you hear that TQ has updated their diagnostics and can catch this motor issue, please post to this thread.

msruby64

Mar 25, 2020
US
This whole thread is based of a guy who does not own one and did a single test ride? The low power clutch flutter is not a defect. Sounds like trolling to me.
No, I'm not trolling and not trying to bad mouth the Fuel EXe. I borrowed the bike from a friend of mine for about a week while she was away and did about 5 rides. She's not particularly technical and has no experience with ebikes. I've had 4 different ebikes over the last 5 years, so I have a fair amount of experience. I wanted to help her get the bike set up, update the firmware, set up the app on her phone, and make sure it was working properly. During my test rides, I noticed what seemed to be somewhat uneven power application as compared to the ebikes I've ridden. Also, the Trek Fuel EXe is on a short list of bikes that I would recommend to friends wanting a mid-power and/or a lighter weight ebike, so I'm interested in understanding how well it works.

superk163

May 14, 2019
central ny state
I purchased an EXE 9.8 and went for my first legit ride yesterday. I observed the same characteristics of inconsistent power delivery. I played with power settings and have had some limited success . It still seems inconsistent on power delivery at 200-300 watts. The motor also makes a lot of noise under load. I'm not sure is it is related to the non drive side e13 carbon crank coming loose every hour. I torqued it several times to 40NM and it definitely has issues. Until I get that left crank replaced, I won't be able to determine if this is related to the noise. It is a ratcheting sound and quite loud and consistent. I'm struggling to believe it is the crank making this noise, I'm going to take it to the Local Trek Dealer and see what they can do for me. For the record I purchased this bike off of Pink Bike . It has 140 miles on it and appears to be essentially new. I called the dealer that originally sold it and they said the warranty on the motor and bike is good to the second owner with proof of original purchase. Il post back my experience as it plays out. The original dealer is west coast and I live in Central NY.
Im coming off of a 20 Levo Comp with Brose motor . I have set my power levels to 55% and 25% on the Levo prior to getting the EXE just to see if the level of power was to my satisfaction. It definitely is but I find the Brose to be a much better feel than the TQ at this point. Hopefully there is a remedy to this inconsistent power delivery and concerning ratcheting noise !

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
just a thought on this inconsistent power issue. When you experience it is your pedalling cadence quite low,as in say <50rpm?

I wonder if a low cadence causes the motor difficulty?

superk163

May 14, 2019
central ny state
just a thought on this inconsistent power issue. When you experience it is your pedalling cadence quite low,as in say <50rpm?

I wonder if a low cadence causes the motor difficulty?
I Have observed the inconsistent power at varying cadence levels. I rarely ride in low cadence. Mostly over 80 all the time.
I only have rode this bike for about 10 miles. There definitely seems to have a motor issue . It makes tons of noise. Left crank keeps coming loose. Inconsistent power. I brought the bike to the Local Trek dealer with original receipt. I showed a short video of the motor sound to the service department and they were cringing listening to it. They said they were going to file a warranty claim for motor and Crank arm. Pretty much no questions asked about the warranty so so far so good. Il post my progress as I work through this. Fortunately The LEVO is running rock solid so Im in business. For the record. The new motor I have in my 20 Levo is way quitter than the HPR50 at equivalant power output. (Replaced at No Cost to me with 2500 miles by Spec) I did a breif demo ride on an EXE back in Janruary and the motor was very quiet. Slightly quieter than the S-mag at equivalant power output. So My Current HPR-50 motor I believe has some significant malfunction !

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I Have observed the inconsistent power at varying cadence levels. I rarely ride in low cadence. Mostly over 80 all the time.
I only have rode this bike for about 10 miles. There definitely seems to have a motor issue . It makes tons of noise. Left crank keeps coming loose. Inconsistent power. I brought the bike to the Local Trek dealer with original receipt. I showed a short video of the motor sound to the service department and they were cringing listening to it. They said they were going to file a warranty claim for motor and Crank arm. Pretty much no questions asked about the warranty so so far so good. Il post my progress as I work through this. Fortunately The LEVO is running rock solid so Im in business. For the record. The new motor I have in my 20 Levo is way quitter than the HPR50 at equivalant power output. (Replaced at No Cost to me with 2500 miles by Spec) I did a breif demo ride on an EXE back in Janruary and the motor was very quiet. Slightly quieter than the S-mag at equivalant power output. So My Current HPR-50 motor I believe has some significant malfunction !
yeah sounds like your hpr50 is knackered.

I'm on my second hpr 50 motor, the first was replaced without question very quickly. I had a different fault to what you are seeing though, on mine you could turn the pedals but the chainring didnt rotate, it was like the mechanical connection between pedals and chain ring had failed.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
The TQ motor doesn’t like a slow cadence. Mine really seems to like 100 RPM or more, the more power you put in, the more power TQ puts in. To a point, of course.
Hmm this is a little concerning to me. Just looked through my last 30 or so full fat rides and my cadence is always between 70-80 rpm (avg power 185-200watts)

I hardly ever pedal at over 100rpm

alphapuppy

May 30, 2023
California, USA
Hello girls! 🤣 What aftermarket seat post clamp are you guys using that fits? I want a red anodized one. Thanks!
I've been looking for one too but I don't think anybody makes a 39.7mm seatpost diameter clamp that will fit Trek bikes using 34.9mm seatposts. I asked Wolftooth if they planned to make one and got a categorically NO NEVER pissed of reply bitching about bike non-standard "standards"... Apparently a sore point for them... So looks like we are out to luck and have to live with the boring OEM one.

steveL

Nov 11, 2022
Southeast BC
Hmm this is a little concerning to me. Just looked through my last 30 or so full fat rides and my cadence is always between 70-80 rpm (avg power 185-200watts)

I hardly ever pedal at over 100rpm
The motor doesn't like a slow cadence, below 70 and it doesn't provide much reward. I look at it as a "bike riders" bike, if you like to ride at 50 rpm it probably isn't for you. I find it hard to believe that most or any of us ride consistently over 100 rpm, pro cyclist - probably, amateur - low probability.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles