Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe 4414 Error

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I'm borrowing a friend's new ExE and have gotten a few battery error codes now three different times when riding. I've looked online and in the Trek doc but can't find any reference to TQ errors. Anyone have similar experience? Error 4414 and something ending in 045D. Both times JRA, then I turned the bike off and on again and it powered up fine.

View attachment TQ HPR50_Display_Remote.pdf
Error codes start on page 20 of the attached TQ manual.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I'm borrowing a friend's new ExE and have gotten a few battery error codes now three different times when riding. I've looked online and in the Trek doc but can't find any reference to TQ errors. Anyone have similar experience? Error 4414 and something ending in 045D. Both times JRA, then I turned the bike off and on again and it powered up fine.
Does anyone here know what the 4414 error code is? My bike has shut down twice because of that code and that code isn't listed in the manual. The full code is: ERR 4414 BATT HW. The first time it happened I had just switched from power level I to power level II near the beginning of a ride. The second time it happened just after I started charging the battery. Both times I rebooted and it worked fine afterward.

The first time it happened was before the firmware update last week. The second time it happened was after the firmware update. I plan to ask Trek about this but they are closed through the weekend. In the meantime, I'm curious.

Last edited:

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Does anyone here know what the 4414 error code is? My bike has shut down twice because of that code and that code isn't listed in the manual. The full code is: ERR 4414 BATT HW. The first time it happened I had just switched from power level I to power level II near the beginning of a ride. The second time it happened just after I started charging the battery. Both times I rebooted and it worked fine afterward.

The first time it happened was before the firmware update last week. The second time it happened was after the firmware update. I plan to ask Trek about this but they are closed through the weekend. In the meantime, I'm curious.
I don’t know what 4414 is. I got that code a couple of weeks back and it didn’t store in memory when the dealer checked for it.

Yesterday I got it 3 times: once while coasting, once while pedaling, and once when plugging in to charge. I’m taking it to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked again.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Thanks for sharing your experience with that code. Tomorrow I'm going to call Trek USA and ask them about that error code.
So I just drove over to my local trailhead to squeeze in a quick ride before sunset. Turned on the bike and it shows 5% battery. WTF?! No ride for me. A downside to eMTB ownership I guess.

So I drove home and plugged the bike in. It acted like it was charging but then set the 4414 code again after a bit and I assume it stopped charging. Must’ve been what happened last night. Next I unplugged the charger, cycled the bike on/off and replugged it in. Same thing. So I unplugged the charger, unplugged the battery and plugged it back in. Reconnected charger and it seems to be charging ok now. Battery is up to 28%, so I think it’s back to normal now.

But now I feel I can’t trust it’s fully charged without turning it on/off to verify 100%. I guess I should’ve checked the charger light this morning to verify it was solid green. I’ll have to pay attention to that from now on.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
The Trek Support person that I spoke with today wasn't familiar with the 4414 HW error code but he said he would investigate and get back to me.

He didn't know why my bike doesn't beep when I press the assist button but he will look into that too. I would like that beep feedback because then I would know if I pressed the button hard enough. It takes a couple of seconds for the assist level to change to immediate feedback would help, especially when going up a scary steep hill.

He said he wasn't aware of anyone having a problem getting the cap onto the charging connector. I told him that I smeared a tiny bit of silicone grease on the interface parts of the cap and now it slides on and off almost too easy. Grease will collect dust so if you use some, use very little.
Here is an update of my 4414 problem. MY LBS hooked my bike up to their diagnostic tool. The only thing it noticed was an out of spec speed sensor problem. The LBS fixed that problem and hopefully the 4414 error code problem is solved too. If not, Trek will want to do more homework.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I just checked and my beep tone is worthless too. I’d assumed it was off. Nope. I checked and it’s on. I can’t even hear it.

I dropped my bike off tonight to have the 4414 investigated. I’m also having the LBS check why the lower shock connection to the frame is moving and making a knock noise. The lower shock bolt is tight but I didn’t check it for proper torque.

My LBS has a ticket open with TQ regarding the 4414 code. It doesn’t store in memory when it occurs. Luckily I had a video of the code flashing across the screen that my LBS sent to TQ.

I took the bike back from my LBS so I could continue riding it while they work with TQ. Hopefully the issue doesn’t lead to a dead motor or battery on the trail. So far turning it off-on or or unplugging-replugging in the battery has reset things back to normal.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
Trek thinks my 4414 error code was caused by a faulty handlebar assist level switch so they are sending a new one to my LBS. I hope that solves the problem but I'm a little skeptical because I think I got the error code while charging and not using the assist level switch. I haven't seen any error code in over a week so I'm not worried about it.

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
4414 error code update. Trek found a software error that they think is causing this problem. They should have this resolved in a couple of weeks. I've only heard of three bikes with this problem so apparently it isn't common.

kazowie

Sep 4, 2022
Australia
4414 error code update. Trek found a software error that they think is causing this problem
. They should have this resolved in a couple of weeks. I've only heard of three bikes with this problem so apparently it isn't common.
Thank you for the updates. I’ve seen this on my bike once on the trail but I got it re-started. Interested in how you go getting yours resolved

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Hi all,

Got an error code whilst riding today after a short climb: error 4414 batt hw
Looked it up on the TQ error code document (well what do you know, it isn't there :LOL: )
it can be found here for reference: TQ ERROR CODES
anybody else experienced this error code? I turned the bike off and on again, rode, crashed and it never came back.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I just had my second event where after a battery charge cycle I turned on the bike only to discover the charger had turned off before completion, i.e. <100%. I’m thinking it may have to do with the 4414 error I’ve been getting. Hopefully the new firmware update will fix this charging issue too.

Moral of the story: After charging, turn on the bike to make sure it’s fully charged to 100%.

On a positive note, the charger does a great job of charging from 20-80% quickly. Makes a mid day top off reasonable so you can go for another ride. (Going from 80-100% takes an additional hour.)

Last edited:

DugT

Sep 4, 2022
Truckee, CA
I just had my second event where after a battery charge cycle I turned on the bike only to discover the charger had turned off before completion, i.e. <100%. I’m thinking it may have to do with the 4414 error I’ve been getting. Hopefully the new firmware update will fix this charging issue too.

Moral of the story: After charging, turn on the bike to make sure it’s fully charged to 100%.

On a positive note, the charger does a great job of charging from 20-80% quickly. Makes a mid day top off reasonable so you can go for another ride. (Going from 80-100% takes an additional hour.)
That has happened to me three times. Twice it happened while it was charging at night and when I woke up it was half charged and showing the 4414 error. I explained that to Trek USA Support when I told them about the 4414 error so I think it will be part of the firmware fix that I think is due this week.

Last edited:

jeromep71

Jun 13, 2022
Givry - France
Hello,
The first error 4414, occurred, the first day, when bringing the new bike home (1 km). Since then, I have it on every outing... 2 times yesterday for a 5 km ride. Trek suspects a battery issue. They must change it... for the moment no news.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Hi everyone,
there is a battery software update available at your LBS since november 1st. The update to V1.99.05 tackles ERR 4414 BATT HW.
Looking forward to get feedback from you!
Hi Roman,
I did email TQ Support a few days ago but didn't hear back... is there any way an Owner can check the firmware or software versions that are installed on their bikes?
Thanks.

Roman

Official TQ
Subscriber
Jun 13, 2022
Germany
Hi Roman,
I did email TQ Support a few days ago but didn't hear back... is there any way an Owner can check the firmware or software versions that are installed on their bikes?
Thanks.
Hi!
If you are from the SF bay area, then i think you got a reply yesterday. If not - please send again here: [email protected]
Right now as a rider you are not able to check your software versions. We are aware of that and checking options right now. The best option in my opinion would be via TQ App or Trek Central App. What do you think?

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hi!
If you are from the SF bay area, then i think you got a reply yesterday. If not - please send again here: [email protected]
Right now as a rider you are not able to check your software versions. We are aware of that and checking options right now. The best option in my opinion would be via TQ App or Trek Central App. What do you think?
being able to see versions in the app would be fine.

It would be even better if we could update firmware at home rather than having to take the bike into a dealer for the update.

I Appreciate you guys (TQ & roman in particular) taking part in the forums by the way.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Hi!
Hi Roman,
Thanks for the reply.
I am in Australia. I will resend the email to TQ Support.

I think seeing the versions via the Trek Central App (or TQ app) is perfectly fine 👍.

My bike had a TQ update done on the morning of November 1 (Sydney time) which overlaps October 31 in some parts of the US and Europe. So hence I am not sure if I am on the latest "November 1" TQ version.

Thanks again.

Franrene

Nov 8, 2022
Spain
Hi everyone,
there is a battery software update available at your LBS since november 1st. The update to V1.99.05 tackles ERR 4414 BATT HW.
Looking forward to get feedback from you!
Although my bike is a Trek Domane+,it has the same TQ motor and I have the same error 4414,can you tell me if the update is already available for my bike?
Thank you very much

Roman

Official TQ
Subscriber
Jun 13, 2022
Germany
Hi Roman,
Thanks for the reply.
I am in Australia. I will resend the email to TQ Support.

I think seeing the versions via the Trek Central App (or TQ app) is perfectly fine 👍.

My bike had a TQ update done on the morning of November 1 (Sydney time) which overlaps October 31 in some parts of the US and Europe. So hence I am not sure if I am on the latest "November 1" TQ version.

Thanks again.
The distribution began October 31st, from 3:30 – 4:15 pm Middle European time, so beeing close, but I am pretty sure you have got the latest version.

Roman

Official TQ
Subscriber
Jun 13, 2022
Germany
Although my bike is a Trek Domane+,it has the same TQ motor and I have the same error 4414,can you tell me if the update is already available for my bike?
Thank you very much
Sorry to hear that! But yes, same e-system, same software!

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States
The distribution began October 31st, from 3:30 – 4:15 pm Middle European time, so beeing close, but I am pretty sure you have got the latest version.
Roman, I have my bike in the shop right now and asked them to update the firmware. I read on this forum (TQ HPR50 Grinding Noise) that there is an update that fixes the inconsistent motor assist in the ‘high’ mode. Can you tell me what software version contains that fix?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles