Fuel EXe Trek Fuel Exe Ride wrap down tube piece application.

chalky007

Dec 4, 2023
Australia
Hi all, newbie here and have a question about Ride Wrap and Fuel Exe application. Specifically i recently acquired a Trek Fuel Exe 9.5 Carbon plus also got myself a Ride Wrap tailored protection kit. Watched all the youtube and install clips and started applying and so far pretty happy with result.

Coming up to applying the downtube piece (piece 18 on the kit) but I cannot figure out how to apply when it comes to the protective plastic covers already on the downtube which come stock from Trek. These seem to be glued on and cannot be removed. The piece does not have a cutout for the covers, just a hole for where the battery retaining bolt goes through the covers and downtube.

Does anybody have any advice on how to apply. Do I just apply the film over the covers and try to press the film under the lip of covers or do I apply over tge covers, then trim around the cover and try to finish up against the lip of the cover. Or is there a way to actually remove the covers to start with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

keeganxt

Oct 12, 2023
Atlanta
They are glued: Trek 2023-2024 Fuel EXe Lower Downtube Armor - Trek Bikes

Personally, I would leave them installed as opposed to removing and reapplying new ones. That may be obvious. I would instead cut down Piece 18, that you mentioned, into smaller pieces. It may only be one that covers between the top of the factory rubber pad and the bottom of the steerer. I assume the sides of the downtube are different pieces?

Side note on trimming down the vinyl. I opted to do 3M heli tape vs a full kit like you did. I've had good luck but a tip is to use a corner cutter like the link below so you don't end up with sharp 90 degree corners that can peel up easier.

chalky007

Dec 4, 2023
Australia
They are glued: Trek 2023-2024 Fuel EXe Lower Downtube Armor - Trek Bikes

Personally, I would leave them installed as opposed to removing and reapplying new ones. That may be obvious. I would instead cut down Piece 18, that you mentioned, into smaller pieces. It may only be one that covers between the top of the factory rubber pad and the bottom of the steerer. I assume the sides of the downtube are different pieces?

Side note on trimming down the vinyl. I opted to do 3M heli tape vs a full kit like you did. I've had good luck but a tip is to use a corner cutter like the link below so you don't end up with sharp 90 degree corners that can peel up easier.

Unfortunately it is one piece that wraps around the dowtube joining on the top of the downtube so essentially the covers are in the middle of the piece. Basically to apply you position the middle of the piece onto the underside of the down tube where the covers sit and wrap up and around finishing on top of the down tube. This piece us actually the largest piece in the kit.

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

BuzzinHornets

Jul 10, 2022
CA
I went through this myself a few months ago. RideWrap was zero help so I solved it myself. I cut that piece down the center and worked from the top of the down tube to the protection. When I got to the protection I used a razor to trim the film to shape. Worked awesome and it looks factory.

chalky007

Dec 4, 2023
Australia
I went through this myself a few months ago. RideWrap was zero help so I solved it myself. I cut that piece down the center and worked from the top of the down tube to the protection. When I got to the protection I used a razor to trim the film to shape. Worked awesome and it looks factory.
Good idea there, had not thought of that approach. Was thinking to do the reverse , that is, apply in full then cut the section out around the cover but figured this would be difficult to apply properly with the covers underneath the wrap and such a large piece but I think your approach could be better especially as there is a known result. Plus should make application a lot easier being smaller pieces.
So far ride wrap has just asked for photos to explain. I figured that they must have been asked this particular question a few times by now but I guess at least twice now. Yours and mine.🙂
Thanks for the advice.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles