Part # 1: Orbea Rise - Upper Linkage Axle and Bearing Service

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Thank you to those who have contributed their experiences thus far to make this article better.

I service the linkage, i.e. remove the linkage, axles, inspect, clean and lubricate the bearings about every six months on my Rise. The pivot bearings have held up nicely. Very wet or powdery dirt conditions, or frequent bike washings will dry out the Orbea factory grease lubricating the axles. I remove and lubricate the upper and lower pivot axles every two months.

Here is a great YouTube video on removal and replacement of frame pivot bearings should it become necessary during your inspection.

Let's Begin:
You may notice your Rise has started to make an irritating creaking noise while riding. The creaking noise will sound very similar to a creaking seat post or saddle. The sound will start out small, but become progressively worse. You may also notice the smooth and plush suspension feeling the bike had when new is gone.

In most circumstances, there is nothing wrong with your rear shock, or the seat post or saddle rail clamps. The creaking noise you hear is caused by a pivot axle needing grease or the upper linkage arms have loosened and moved on the upper axle splines. The stiff suspension may possibly be attributed to dirty pivot linkage and bearings requiring a cleaning and service. I cover servicing the lower pivot axle assembly in a separate tech article.

Before you begin taking you bike linkage apart, consider buying a pivot bearing kit from Orbea. If during the inspection process you do encounter a bad bearing, you won't be caught short handed trying to source a new bearing.

Screenshot 2022-01-21 06.54.06.jpg

The upper pivot axle is made out of aluminum and rides upon two steel bearings mounted in the frame. The fit between the bearings and the axel is a close tolerance fit. The axle does not have a seal to keep dirt or water from working between the bearing race and axle. Dry powdery conditions or exposure to water will wash lubrication from the axle area. If the axle runs dry of lubrication, creaking and wear on the axle's aluminum shoulders will occur. This leads to sloppy rear linkage and replacement of the splined axle if wear is excessive.

Screenshot 2022-01-21 06.55.08.jpg

Each linkage arm is held in place with a single pinch bolt. Many Rise owners have experienced a problem with linkage arm slippage on the splined axle. When this occurs, the linkage arms open up and play develops. The side to side axle play will cause a creaking noise as it shifts on the bearings. If you feel the rear end sway or flex sideways during cornering, a loose linkage arm may be the culprit. If you experience this issue, check the upper axle. There should be no axle visible between the frame and inside of the linkage arm. There should also be no side to side lateral play in the axle assembly. If you are experiencing an issue with the linkage arms slipping on the axle, I highly suggest buying Loctite 638 cylindrical retaining compound. Loctite 638 works similar to Loctite thread locker. It will keep the splined axle mated securely to the linkage arms and create a firm attachment.

Bearings:
Bearings used on the Rise are manufactured by Enduro. They have a black oxide finish which inhibits corrosion. The Enduro bearings on the Rise are a "LLU" and "Max" design.

IMG_0785a (1).jpg

"LLU" indicates a bearing that has a full contact, dual lip seal, which rides in a groove on the inner race. This type of seal is good at keeping contaminants out of the bearing.

"Max" is a term used by Enduro. It refers to the absence of an inner bearing retainer. By removing the bearing retainer, Enduro is able to pack the Maximum amount of ball bearings into the bearing.

Cross section of a typical bearing with inner nylon bearing retainer
Screenshot 2022-01-21 17.08.50.jpg

Cross section of Enduro LLU Max bearing. Note the absence of the nylon retainer
Screenshot 2022-01-21 17.12.49.jpg

The Cleaning Process:

Because the pivot bearings are mounted in the frame and linkage arm, you will only have access to one side of the bearing. I like to use a spray cleaner to forcibly clean and dissolve the old grease from the bearing. I've found Maxima chain cleaner works well to dissolve old bearing grease. It's safe to use on rubber, metal and carbon fiber components. If you don't have access to a spray detergent cleaner, WD40 also works well at dissolving grease.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 06.26.52 (1).jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-22 06.35.05.jpg

Seal Removal:

After you have cleaned the exterior of the bearing, linkage arm and frame. You will need to remove the bearing's outer rubber seal. I use a hobby knife like what's pictured below. Any razor or thin blade will work. You want to be careful and not cut or bend the seal during the removal process. To remove the seal, insert the tip of the razor slightly between the outer bearing race and the edge of the seal. Gently pry up. You may have to free up the seal in several places to get it to pop up.

Screenshot 2022-01-21 15.48.37 (1).jpg

The rubber seal on cartridge bearings has an inner and outer side. The inner side of the seal which faces the ball bearings, will have an exposed metal grove to accommodate the bearings. The picture below depicts the inner side of a bearing seal with the groove.

Screenshot 2022-01-21 17.12.49 (2) (1).jpg

Bearing Inspection:
Pivot bearings typically only rotates a few degrees. Because of this, only a few of the ball bearings consistently take the brunt of impact force. Those few ball bearings will eventually develop flat spots which hinders smooth rotating suspension.

After you have fully cleaned the bearing, rotate it with your fingers. Feel for a bumpy rough feeling. If the bearing is hard to rotate or exhibits a rough feeling, the bearing will need replacement.

Note: You may get a rough or bumpy feeling if the grease is dry or grit has gotten into the bearing and contaminated the grease. Therefore, it's important to fully clean the bearing before checking for bearing flat spots or ease of movement. A good bearing will rotate smoothly and easily.

Bearing Grease:
The type of grease you use, will depend on your riding environment. Enduro recommends three types of lubricants for the Enduro bearings on your Rise. They are:

1. Mobil XHP 222
2. Almagard 3752
3. CRC Marine (Stalube Product #SL3120)

When greasing the bearing pivot points and hardware, try not to over grease. Excess grease will accumulate in the pivot points, attract dirt and cause linkage stiction which we don't want.

To grease a bearing, take a dab of grease with your finger and begin pushing the grease into the bearing. Work your way around the circumference of the bearing. Do not completely pack the bearing solid with grease. You want lubrication, but you also want easy bearing movement after the seal has been re-installed.

Install the rubber seal on the bearing, smooth rubber side out, groove side of seal inwards. Lightly push the seal into place with the pad of your thumb. It should install easily. If you push hard or use your fingernails to push the seal into place. You will bend and deform the seal. After seal installation, wipe off excess grease from the bearing surfaces to prevent dirt accumulation.

Here is an excellent YouTube video on greasing bearings:

Orbea Rise diagram showing the upper axle pivot linkage, areas requiring grease, and hardware torque settings
Screenshot 2022-01-17 14.47.48 (1).jpg

Tools:
The Rise linkage screws can easily be deformed or scratched. Because of this, I like to use hex sockets to remove and install the linkage. I find they tend to cause less damage than a "T" handle hex wrench.

If you don't own a torque wrench, consider buying one. Without a torque wrench, it's very easy to over or under tighten a bolt, or possibly damage a carbon fiber frame by over tightening a bolt.

When shopping for a torque wrench, buy a torque wrench which reads in Newton Meters. Bike specs are typically listed in Newton Meters. Lastly, buy a torque wrench that has a low torque range i.e. 1 to 20 N.m. A torque wrench which reads 1 to 200 N.m. won't be as accurate at the lower torque settings used on bicycles, i.e. 4 or 6 N.m.

Pro Bike Tool on Amazon has a nice 1-20 Nm, 1/4" drive torque wrench that comes with hex and Torx sockets for $75.
Screenshot 2022-06-10 13.48.49.jpg

Upper Axle and Linkage Removal & Installation:
When I do a full service cleaning and lubrication, I like to do the upper pivot linkage separately from the lower main pivot axle. You can remove the upper and lower pivot assembly all at once, however you'll have to contend with a loose chain stay flopping about. Lastly, if I am just greasing the upper axle, I do a shortcut disassembly by leaving the shock in place and I just remove the upper linkage arms and axle for greasing. I am providing a full blown and in depth disassembly of the linkage. I leave it up to you to decide which method or shortcut in the procedure you wish to do.

1) Place your Rise in a bike stand. Remove the rear axle and wheel to unweight the rear triangle.

2) Wrap a rag around the front portion of the rear shock. Using a hex wrench/driver, remove the front shock mounting bolt. The rag will prevent the shock from dropping down and damaging the paint on the downtube.

With the front of the rear shock removed, move the rear triangle up and down to see if you can feel or hear binding, grinding etc. This will give you an idea of what condition your pivot linkage is in.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 08.19.50.jpg

3) Remove the right/left seat stay hex bolts where they attach to the linkage arms.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 08.29.41 (2).jpg

4) Remove the right/left rear shock extender hex bolts where they attach to the linkage arms.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 08.29.41a (1).jpg

5) Remove the right and left pinch (Clench) bolts located on the bottom side of the linkage arms.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 08.39.55.jpg

6) Six spacer washers are used in the upper suspension linkage. Two large spacer washers are used for the shock extender. They mount on the inner side of the linkage arm. Four smaller spacer washers are used for the seat stay. They mount on the inner and outer sides of the linkage arms. They may fall out, don't lose them.

7) After both pinch bolts have been removed, pull the seat stay arms away from the linkage and remove each linkage arm from the upper axle. The arms easily come off. Sometimes rocking the arms or a gentle tapping with a soft rubber mallet helps.

8) With the linkage arms removed, the upper axle will be exposed in the frame. Rotate the axle to see if it is binding or hard to remove. This will give you a general idea of what condition your upper pivot frame bearings are in.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 08.56.20 (1).jpg

9) The upper axle is threaded on one side to accept an Orbea pre-load tool. Your bike may come with the axle threads facing to the left side. The Rise Blue Paper requests the threaded axle side be located on the right, drive side.

10) With a rubber mallet, gently tap the upper axle out of the frame bearing assembly. The axle has a tight fit and will not easily slide out of the bearings. A soft rubber mallet and a soft wood dowel may be required to fully release the axle. Be very careful not to deform or mar the aluminum axle.

11) After the upper linkage assembly has been removed, begin the cleaning process. I like to place the dirty items on a towel. As I clean, I transfer the cleaned hardware to an adjacent clean towel.
  1. Clean the mounting hardware and washers.
  2. Clean the axle and each linkage arm. The axle splines and splined linkage arm interface must be free of oil for Loctite 638 to work.
  3. Clean the two bearings in each linkage arm. Check the bearings for smooth action.
  4. Check the two pivot bearings mounted in the frame. Check the bearings for smooth action.
Note: If the linkage arm or frame pivot bearings spin smoothly, I do not take them apart. Instead, I just clean the bearing surfaces. If the bearings do not spin easily/smoothly, I remove the outer rubber seal and clean the bearing. If the bearings still do not spin freely after cleaning, I replace them. After a successful inspection, I repack the bearing with fresh grease and reseal the bearing.

Reinstallation:

Note:
Because the axles are not sealed, water can wash out the grease lubricating the axle. If you wash your bike frequently or ride in wet and muddy conditions you should use a waterproof grease. I like Schaeffer's 219 SynForce Green which is a synthetic waterproof grease. It holds up extremely well in wet conditions or frequent bike washings. I also like that it's a "Green" grease with low aquatic toxicity and won't contaminate waterways during stream crossings.

1) With the upper linkage hardware and bearings cleaned and lubricated, you can begin the upper re-assembly.

2) Apply a liberal amount of grease around the inside race of the two axle bearings mounted in the frame. Apply Loctite 638 or similar to the splines on the left non-threaded side of the axle and also inside the splined interface on the left linkage arm. I use my finger to spread the retaining compound around to insure full coverage.

NOTE: The Orbea Rise Blue Paper requests that a cylindrical retaining compound be used on the axle splines. The blue paper does not specify which retainer compound to use. The Orbea Rallon shares a similar linkage design. The Orbea Rallon Blue Paper recommends Loctite 638 as the "cylindrical retaining compound" to be placed upon the upper pivot axle splines.

Image1 (1).jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-09 08.52.38 (1).jpg

3) Hold the left (Non-drive side) linkage arm in your hand and insert the axle into the left linkage arm. Apply blue thread locker onto a linkage arm pinch bolt and thread it into the arm. Insure the axle is fully seated into the linkage arm interface and torque the pinch bolt to 10 N.m. Wipe off any excess Loctite 638 that may drip out.

4) Apply a film of grease to the shoulders of the axel. While holding onto the left linkage arm, insert the axle into the two frame mounted pivot bearings. The axle will slide in easily through the first bearing. You will meet resistance when the axle meets the bearing on the opposite side. Move the axle about to align it squarely with the bearing race on the opposite side. Using a soft rubber mallet, lightly tap the linkage arm and axle into place. No pounding or forcing. Check that the left linkage arm is fully seated against the pivot bearing.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 10.30.41 (1).jpg

5) Your Rise should have come with a purple colored Orbea pre-load tool. The tool is used to set upper linkage arm pre-load and also to measure rear shock sag. Insure that the rubber pre-load spacer is threaded onto the pre-load tool.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 09.45.00.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-24 00.16.48 (1).jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-24 00.15.44 (1).jpg

7) Apply Loctite 638 to the axle splines on the right side of the axle. Do not apply any thread locker or retaining compound to the axle threads. Insure the threads are clean. Install the right side linkage arm onto the axel. Insure that the linkage arm is fully seated on the splined axle.

8) Thread the purple pre-load tool into the axle. As you thread, insure the rubber spacer is seated correctly and not cocked to where it can become pinched. If it is not centered correctly, it will become damaged during the tightening of the pre-load tool and a false pre-load will occur. Turn the pre-load tool until it stops. Do not overly tighten the purple pre-load tool as it will damage the rubber preload spacer. Check that no axle is visible between the inside of the linkage arm and the frame. Insure that the axle assembly rotates freely. If everything checks okay, apply a small dab of blue thread lock to a linkage arm pinch bolt. Insert it into the arm and torque the pinch bolt to 10 N.m. Remove the purple pre-load tool.

9) Apply a film of grease onto the seat stay mounting bolt shoulders. Avoid getting grease on the threads. Take two of the small seat stay washers and apply a dab of grease to them. Place the washers on the inner and outer sides of the linkage arm, centered over the seat stay bearings. The grease will keep the washers in place. Line up the seat stay with the bearing opening. Insert the seat stay bolt and torque to 10 N.m. Orbea does not specify thread locker for the seat stay bolt however I place a dab of blue thread locker on the threads.

Screenshot 2022-01-24 00.21.59 (1).jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-22 08.29.41 (1) (1).jpg

10) Apply a film of grease to the shock extender mounting bolt shoulders. Avoid getting grease on the threaded portion of the bolt. Apply a small dab of blue thread locker to the threaded portion of each bolt. Take the two large shock extension washers and apply a small dab of grease to each one. This will hold them in place as you work. Position the washers on the inner side of each linkage arm and centered over the shock extender bearings.

Take the shock and slide the extension fork into position between the two linkage arms. Make sure the shock extension washers are sandwiched between the extension fork and the linkage arms. Maneuver the shock extension, washers and linkage arm into alignment so that the mounting bolts can be inserted and threaded into place. Torque both bolts to 15 N.m.

Screenshot 2022-01-22 08.29.41a (2).jpg

11) Apply a film of grease to the front shock mounting bolt. Apply a film of grease to the inside of the shock bushing and bushing face. Slide the shock up into position and thread the shock bolt into place. Orbea does not specify thread lock on the bolt. Torque the bolt to 6 N.m.

Cheers...you have completed the upper pivot assembly.

Last edited:

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Great tutorial Rod. One thing to point out is that the bluepaper recommends a retaining compound on the axle splines. The Occam bluepaper recommended 638, but there was no suggestion for which one on the Rise. I used grease on the last reassemble, my LBS guy said he has used grease successfully. I have got 641 to try next time, it is mid strength so should make it a bit easier to remove at service time.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on using the compound.

Thanks,
Rich

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Rich,

You make a good point and great suggestion. For others reading this post, I've attached the Rise Blue Paper segment which Rich is referencing in regards to cylindrical bearing retainer.

I see absolutely no harm in using a retention compound such as Loctite 641, especially if play has started to develop in the axel spline and linkage arm interface. I've used Loctite 641 compound in the past when a bike has been brought to me with a creaking press fit BB92 bottom bracket bearing cup. The compound fills gaps nicely and works.

My thought is Orbea specifies the "Cylindrical Retainer Compound" on the upper axle splines as a secondary retention measure. The only thing holding the linkage arm onto the axle splines is friction caused by the pinch bolt clamping the linkage arm onto the axle. It's a very secure fit. However, tolerances between the axle spline and linkage arm will increase with wear. It's possible the arm could loosen up and slack develop in the linkage.

I live in Southern California where the trails are extremely dry and like talcum powder. The powdery grit dries out the axle grease i'm using quickly. I've resorted to removing my linkage arm and greasing the axle about every two months, otherwise the suspension gets too stiff and the creaking develops. Orbea really messed up when they didn't seal the axle/bearing interface. Because I frequently take the linkage arms off, I chose to use grease on the splines to prevent axle spline/linkage arm wear. I have yet to have a linkage arm loosen on me. .

I think another issue I'm having is the grease I'm using. I use Mobil Special XHP 222. It's what I used on my Yeti SB130 for the Switch Infinity. I think the grease is too light duty and dries out too quickly. I'm thinking of trying Almagard 3752. Check out this YouTube video on Almagard 3752 grease:

Screenshot 2022-01-24 13.19.42.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-24 13.23.14.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-24 13.19.42.jpg

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Great tutorial Rod. One thing to point out is that the bluepaper recommends a retaining compound on the axle splines. The Occam bluepaper recommended 638, but there was no suggestion for which one on the Rise. I used grease on the last reassemble, my LBS guy said he has used grease successfully. I have got 641 to try next time, it is mid strength so should make it a bit easier to remove at service time.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on using the compound.

Thanks,
Rich
Rich, I edited the article to show the use of a retaining compound on the splines. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
excellent tutorial.............a shame that with decent engineering none of that maintenance should be required though. Orbea should issue an upgrade for that arrangement.

Gismo6303

Sep 4, 2021
France
I've done 900km on my rise since septembre, mostly in mud, I wash it many time per week and don't has this issue. I experiment issue with dropper wich dont retract sometime, fork wich feel stiff if I don't pull oil on stanchion at every ride. But rear linkage is smooth, I just need to put oil on shock after all ride for have it smooth. I've a M10 with factory shock and orbea dropper.

But thx for the tutorial.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
excellent tutorial.............a shame that with decent engineering none of that maintenance should be required though. Orbea should issue an upgrade for that arrangement.
I totallthought was wh

Gismo and Mike, the Rise is such a great bike. I've managed to put about 1,100 miles on it since September. I really beat the piss out of my bike and have had no issues with the bike. The suspension linkage is quite good, however it does require maintenance, much like the rear shock, front fork, wheel hub, headset and chain require maintenance. I wrote the article to help everybody out when it comes time for you to service the linkage.

How often you need to service the linkage depends on where you ride and the trail conditions. Every bike requires the occasional bit of love to keep the bike going strong.

Gismo, your front fork will have 40cc of oil in the dampener side and 10cc in the air side. The purpose of the oil is to keep the foam wiper ring, located underneath the wipe seal at the top of the fork, saturated with oil. This lubricates the fork stanchions and gives the front fork a plush feel. You will need to turn the bike over (upside down) every few rides and let it sit for about 30 minutes. This allows the oil to travel to the foam ring and re-saturate it with oil. Eventually however, the foam ring will became clogged with dirt and will no longer lubricate the stanchion and your fork will become sticky. If you continue riding it like this, the stanchion will become scored by the dirt. A new wiper seal service will prevent this from occurring and restore your fork to like new plushness. This also goes for your rear shock. What type of dropper post do you have?

I thought I'd include pictures of me in order to put a face to the posts I've made on this forum. I would so love to ride Great Britain, Italy and the Swiss Alps. I hope someday to ride or meet with you all on the trail.

Be safe,
Rod

Encountered a bit of mud on the Thunder Mountain Trail, Bryce Canyon Utah
IMG_5369.JPG

Packer's Saddle, Downieville California,
IMG_3665.JPG

Kokopelli Trail, Fruita Colorado
IMG_5856.JPG

Captain Ahab and Hymasa Trails, Moab Utah
Screenshot 2022-01-26 07.34.16.jpg

Screenshot 2022-01-26 07.11.35.jpg

Church Rocks, St. George Utah
IMG_1848 (2).JPG

My screen profile pic...Hurricane, Utah......
Gooseberry Mesa.JPG

McKenzie River Trail, Blue River Oregon, The most beautiful trail I've ever seen. Incredible...
IMG_E1049.JPG

mckenzierivertrail.jpg

60 years old...I find that post ride lubrication with a cold beer helps. Park City, Utah
IMG_3482.JPG

After my accident in 2019, my foot was almost amputated and I could not walk for 18 months. I had corrective surgery in November 2020, which allowed me to begin walking again in January 2021. I had difficulty pedaling my bike. Thus....I began my eBike journey.
IMG_8705-a.jpg

This was my first epic ride into the backcountry on my Rise (I'm wearing the blue flannel). It was sooo good to get back to what I love with my buddies. San Juan Trail, Orange County California
San Juan.jpg

Who doesn't want to see a trail stretching out on the canyon wall for as far as the eye can see.....Perfection......Flow Job, Las Vegas Nevada
IMG_0509a.jpg

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Dan, I had the same issue with my Rise and I only have 1,800 kilometers on my bike. The bearings were very tight in the frame and it took some force to remove the bearings.

I have several different tools which I use to remove bearings. My main go to is a metric & standard, OTC #4410, Master Bushing Driver punch Set, which I purchased off of Amazon for $72.00. It doubles as a bearing driver set on bicycles.

Screenshot 2022-01-30 06.46.20.jpg

I also like to use brass drift punches to remove bearings. I use brass because it tends to grip the bearing better and won't shatter the hardened steel race on the bearing.

Screenshot 2022-01-30 06.32.37.jpg

Pro Bearing Tools seals "Blind Hole" type bearing removal kits which are bike specific, i.e. the Rise. The "Blind Hole" removal tool works really well on bearings where the inner and outer bearing race is completely covered. You place the tool into the bore of the bearing and expand the tool out tightly. You then use a punch to drive the tool out of the frame/hub/linkage arm/chain stay/seat stay, while it is latched onto the bearing.

Bearing Puller Kit for Orbea Bikes
Screenshot 2022-01-30 07.59.09.jpg

I really hate to hammer on my frame. I try to avoid it whenever I can. There are several companies which make "Non-Hammering" pivot bearing removal and installation tool kits. They are pricey but work well. You will usually find that a bike manufacturer will sell specialized pivot bearing tools for their bikes. Orbea doesn't offer any.

Here is an example of a "Non-Hammering" pivot bearing removal and installation kit made by Session USA and sells for $250.00. I have not used this kit, so I cannot recommend it and only offer it as an example. There are other types sold on the market.

PIVOT AND LINKAGE BEARING EXTRACTION/INSTALLATION TOOL KIT

Screenshot 2022-01-30 08.04.13.jpg

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Thanks Rod, I left it in penetrating oil for an hour and they then came out quite easily. I do have a bearing puller kit, but they don’t grab very well on the smaller bearings (sub 20mm (13/16th)) I may have to invest in something better.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
6CEF09E1-412F-43AA-940C-27FFB0E73CE9.jpeg

The rise and I have been some pretty spectacular places, living next to Dartmoor is pretty special and allows me to ride some amazing stuff, however my local bike park is 10mins away riding and I hit it up at every opportunity and still can’t believe how fast the rise is there, I’ve set all my PBs without switching it on!!!

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
View attachment 81058
The rise and I have been some pretty spectacular places, living next to Dartmoor is pretty special and allows me to ride some amazing stuff, however my local bike park is 10mins away riding and I hit it up at every opportunity and still can’t believe how fast the rise is there, I’ve set all my PBs without switching it on!!!
I would so love to ride Dartmoor someday. Beautiful country.

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
I always like to tear a new bike down and check everything is greased, loctited and torqued as per spec. I didn’t get chance on my Rise, had too many rides booked. I got chance to do it all today.

I’ll start off by saying I’m not a jet wash user, just a hosepipe and soft brush.
I’m about 8 rides in, UK winter rides, Sandy bike parks and then 3 days in Wales riding Mount Snowdon, Penmanchno, Coed Y Brenin and part of Dyfi Forrest. Anyone that’s ridden Penmanchno will know what a soak fest it is, practically riding along rivers have the trail.
Anyway, my 2 main pivot bearings were seized and the other bearings weren’t great. Took all the seals off and gave a good clean and Mobil XP222 grease, but the main 2 are going to need replacement pretty soon- grating quite a bit.
So, if you’re a Uk rider, best learn how to do this service otherwise it’s going to be a costly ownership😂.
I’m just off to buy an Orange single pivot😂

Last edited:

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
I always like to tear a new bike down and check everything is greased, loctited and torqued as per spec. I didn’t get chance on my Rise, had too many rides booked. I got chance to do it all today.

I’ll start off by saying I’m not a jet wash user, just a hosepipe and soft brush.
I’m about 8 rides in, UK winter rides, Sandy bike parks and then 3 days in Wales riding Mount Snowdon, Penmanchno, Coed Y Brenin and part of Dyfi Forrest. Anyone that’s ridden Penmanchno will know what a soak fest it is, practically riding along rivers have the trail.
Anyway, my 2 main pivot bearings were seized and the other bearings weren’t great. Took all the seals off and gave a good clean and Mobil XP222 grease, but the main 2 are going to need replacement pretty soon- grating quite a bit.
So, if you’re a Uk rider, best learn how to do this service otherwise it’s going to be a costly ownership😂.
I’m just off to buy and Orange single pivot😂
Fully rigid hardtail 😂

EMTB Dude

Nov 16, 2021
West Yorkshire
I totally agree with GTBusso, I live on the edge of the Peak District and the UK riding conditions are absolutely brutal to pivot bearings. I didn’t check or replace my Scott linkage bearings soon enough and now need a new Chainstay and Seatstay plus a full set of bearings and it’s gonna be very expensive! as I expect to have to replace them every six months as I ride about 2500 miles a year, which is about 5x the annual mileage of a lot of people. I’ll have to get the hard tail ebike out more, lol.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Where I ride, it's dry as hell and the dirt is like fine talcum powder. It works it's way into the linkage and dries the grease out fast. I also wash my bike frequently, so there's that too. I know somebody is going to say they wash their bike once a year whether it needs it or not. That's awesome. Paul McCartney saw my bike on Penny Lane and said it was a clean machine.........They wrote a song about it.

I'm discovering that the type of grease you use on the Rise's linkage is critical. This is especially so in a wet environment, i.e. bogs, mud pits, sheets of rain, fog, and other Type A stuff you Brits call fun.

I'm presently trying a grease produced by Schaeffers, called 219 SynForce Green, Waterproof Grease. The grease is especially formulated to withstand high shock loads, extreme pressure, sheer stability and is water resistant. It's been a month and so far it seems to be working good. I'm not giving it a thumbs up yet, it's only been a month. I'll keep you posted on the long term results.

I found this YouTube video where a guy places various samples of grease between two metal pads which are slammed together. It's amazing the results that occur. Some greases can handle the high shock load and pressure, while others splatter. The guy also does a comparison on water resistance. It's an interesting video and the main takeaway is that greases are not all the same. The video should give you an idea of what is occurring with the grease in your pivot bearings and axles as you go pounding down the trail in the wet.

Last edited:

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Hi Rod,
Am I right in thinking it’s the Chemsearch lube that they reckon is the best stuff in the YouTube link?
It doesn’t seem readily available in the US never mind the UK, so I reckon I’ll give the Synforce a go. I’ll have to get this delivered to a hotel when I come to the States in a couple of weeks, any particular reatailer you’d recommend?

Any reason that being aluminium based it could cause any issues? Might be good in bottom brackets for our winters too.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Hi Rod,
Am I right in thinking it’s the Chemsearch lube that they reckon is the best stuff in the YouTube link?
It doesn’t seem readily available in the US never mind the UK, so I reckon I’ll give the Synforce a go. I’ll have to get this delivered to a hotel when I come to the States in a couple of weeks, any particular reatailer you’d recommend?

Any reason that being aluminium based it could cause any issues? Might be good in bottom brackets for our winters too.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
I looked into buying several different brands of grease including Chemsearch and Almagard. Trying to buy the product was difficult as you had to buy directly from the company by submitting a purchase order.

Schaeffers grease was more easily obtained and can be bought via Amazon or eBay. In both instances you can buy a single tube and not be forced to buy a whole case.

While looking for a grease to use that actually works, I learned that the term “Complex” refers to the thickeners used by the manufacturer to make the grease thick or sticky, and allow it to perform within an application such as food processing machinery, wet environment, cold weather, high speed racing, high impact, etc.

There are many grease complex thickeners, such as Lithium, Aluminum, Sodium, Polyurea. Additives are also added by the manufacturer to give the grease further specific properties.

Aluminum complex grease gives the grease a better ability to stick to an object and withstand water washout than Lithium complex based grease. Both are equally good greases, Aluminum has the edge in water resistance.

In regards to grease compatibility, the charts almost all agree that Aluminum and Lithium are compatible. Some charts indicate mixing complex greases can cause a grease to lose some of it’s properties, i.e. water resistance. If you are in doubt, clean out the bearings and axle contact points. Load them up with the same grease.

I chose the Schaeffers Green 219 because of it’s ability to withstand water washout. I also like that as a green synthetic, it’s more environmentally friendly than Lithium complex grease, which can leach into a stream during a water crossing and deposit heavy
metals.

Here’s the technical data sheet on the Schaeffers Green 219. It explains the grease’s properties better than I can.

Note: I’m still evaluating the grease. So far it’s working well but who knows, it may end up not working. It’s still too soon. I’m not comfortable with saying you should buy it. I need a few more trail miles.

GTBusso

Dec 26, 2021
Hitchin
Thanks for that insight Rod. What amazed me in the YouTube link, was how he could dilute the lithium grease so easily in his palm.
I haven’t tried that with the Mobil XP222 I use, but will this week.
It’s a real shame that Orbea didn’t employ bearing shields a la Santa Cruz. They’re certainly not impenetrable, but do help as you can smear a little grease between the back of the shield and the bearing.
Very regular cleaning and greasing of the bearings will be the order for me in winter.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Thanks for that insight Rod. What amazed me in the YouTube link, was how he could dilute the lithium grease so easily in his palm.
I haven’t tried that with the Mobil XP222 I use, but will this week.
It’s a real shame that Orbea didn’t employ bearing shields a la Santa Cruz. They’re certainly not impenetrable, but do help as you can smear a little grease between the back of the shield and the bearing.
Very regular cleaning and greasing of the bearings will be the order for me in winter.

I was also surprised by how easy the grease diluted. You would think all greases would be waterproof. I also found it interesting that some greases remained intact when hit and other greases were destroyed by the blow. The take away is that greases are not all the same.

At your suggestion, I tested the Mobil XHP222 for water dilution in the same manner as the guy did in the video. The Mobil XHP222 partially held up to the water, but it seemed to thin out and become partially diluted when I worked the grease under a stream of faucet water. I also tested the Scheaffers, Green 219. The water had absolutely not effect on the grease. The stuff was like superglue on my palm when I hit it with water. No thinning out or dilution.

It's interesting you mention the Santa Cruz seals. I thought the same. The Rise is such a good bike, however, I do wonder why no effort was made to seal the pivot axles.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
Anyone find it very difficult to get the seat stay hex bolts to align and begin threading when reinstalling? Really hoping someone has some tips to make this easier. I think I may have damaged the start of the threads enough from spinning the bolt up while misaligned enough that it won’t catch now.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
My solution: loosened up the rear axle, shock extender bolts on both sides, and front shock bolt. This gave me enough play in the rear triangle and linkages that applying significant force on the seat stay hex while rotating caused it to align the bolt threads with the threads in the end of the seatstay. What a PITA.

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
My solution: loosened up the rear axle, shock extender bolts on both sides, and front shock bolt. This gave me enough play in the rear triangle and linkages that applying significant force on the seat stay hex while rotating caused it to align the bolt threads with the threads in the end of the seatstay. What a PITA.
I also had that issue on one side. Can't remember, but I'm pretty sure I had the wheel out. But you're not on your own and it makes me question the tolerances a bit.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I was in and out of a stand but may try in a stand without a wheel next time. Would definitely make certain aspects easier. I’m just used to my Transition where I can work through one side of the bike at a time without all the rear triangle flex/alignment issues as well as their better approach to hardware.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Glad to hear I’m not the only one. I was in and out of a stand but may try in a stand without a wheel next time. Would definitely make certain aspects easier. I’m just used to my Transition where I can work through one side of the bike at a time without all the rear triangle flex/alignment issues as well as their better approach to hardware.

In my two tech articles for the upper and lower linkage, I provided a full blown, take everything apart and and do a methodical inspection version. However, you can also do an abbreviated "Down & Dirty" quick upper linkage clean and lube version. To do this method, you do not remove the shock and you only take off one upper linkage arm off at a time to inspect, clean and lube the pivot linkage. This leaves the other linkage side fully attached and in alignment. Everything threads back together fairly easily doing this method. Keep in mind you still have to remove the upper pivot axle and lube it which requires removing one linkage arm and and loosing the pinch bolt on the other linkage arm in order to slide the pivot axle out of the two bearings and lube it. I hope this helps.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
In my two tech articles for the upper and lower linkage, I provided a full blown, take everything apart and and do a methodical inspection version. However, you can also do an abbreviated "Down & Dirty" quick upper linkage clean and lube version. To do this method, you do not remove the shock and you only take off one upper linkage arm off at a time to inspect, clean and lube the pivot linkage. This leaves the other linkage side fully attached and in alignment. Everything threads back together fairly easily doing this method. Keep in mind you still have to remove the upper pivot axle and lube it which requires removing one linkage arm and and loosing the pinch bolt on the other linkage arm in order to slide the pivot axle out of the two bearings and lube it. I hope this helps.
The approach you described is what I initially employed and struggled with. I could physically get the bolt through the washers but it wouldn’t catch threads until I loosened up many of the other bolts.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
It's definitely a little bit fiddly between holding the chain stay up, aligning the seat stay, keeping the spacers aligned and threading the bolt in. I've considered taking up juggling as a result. You'll be happy to hear it gets easier and quicker the more you do it. Curious, did you notice a difference in your suspension after the cleaning and lubrication?

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
It's definitely a little bit fiddly between holding the chain stay up, aligning the seat stay, keeping the spacers aligned and threading the bolt in. I've considered taking up juggling as a result. You'll be happy to hear it gets easier and quicker the more you do it. Curious, did you notice a difference in your suspension after the cleaning and lubrication?
I didn’t notice a difference, it had felt good but I was hearing a creak that I thought was coming from one of the pivots. After greasing everything but the main pivot, I think the noise is actually coming from the derailleur cable housing (between the front and rear triangle) rubbing on the frame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles