Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe 9.5 Build

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'm using the TQ 104bcd spider and the Wolf Tooth T-type chain ring (had to order it from the US as there was no stock in the UK). I had to buy the bottom bracket tool, but was super easy to swap over.

Interesting note, the SRAM chain ring had no indication of crank arm position, so once the cranks were off, I had no reference as to where to put the new cranks on. So I've put them on and will let the motor sort itself out on the first ride.
The marker for the crank arm position is on the motor axle not the chain ring, it's quite hard to see, but there is a small notch cut out of one of the isis splines on the motor axle.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I was throwing all the bits in the bin today from the 9.5. I was going to keep the rims, so I unlaced one, it’s 600g !!! Lol. It went in the bin with everything else 😂

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I was throwing all the bits in the bin today from the 9.5. I was going to keep the rims, so I unlaced one, it’s 600g !!! Lol. It went in the bin with everything else 😂
Thanks for confirming weight. I’m assuming that’s quite a lot for aluminum wheels?

I saw that Mteam had indicated the wheels were the first things we should upgrade, so I bought some Nukeproof Horizon Pro’s on sale for the Hubby’s 9.5. Took a chance on CRC. Fortunately they arrived in Canada quickly and in great shape soon after purchase.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Yeah, 600g is heavy just for an alloy rim. The rear wheel also has a sun race cassette which is also very heavy.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks for confirming weight. I’m assuming that’s quite a lot for aluminum wheels?

I saw that Mteam had indicated the wheels were the first things we should upgrade, so I bought some Nukeproof Horizon Pro’s on sale for the Hubby’s 9.5. Took a chance on CRC. Fortunately they arrived in Canada quickly and in great shape soon after purchase.
yep, the rims are heavy and weak ( a bad combination, I dont mind heavy and strong)- the rear hub is just awful - feels like it has 3 point of engagement.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Wheel weights from the 9.5, with tyres tubes etc.

IMG_4863.jpeg
IMG_4862.jpeg

Keith3007

Jan 7, 2023
Glasgow
9.5 Build update

Motor failed at the weekend, sounds like nuts and bolts in a washing machine when I select any power mode or get off bike and push it backwards, dropped at local dealer, waiting to hear back. I'm starting to have doubts.

During the summer I noticed the power slowly being decreased from 300w to 100w during a climb in Alp D'Huez due to overheating, fair enough it was a relatively steep climb with 25 degrees air temp. Since then (and probably without noticing as I did not ride with power data screen showing previously) it has been regular, on gradual fire road climbs with air temp of 5 degrees in Glentress Scotland and local trails around my home.

My concern is the bike not being able to assist me when I really need it, I like to put in a fair bit of physical effort starting off in low power mode then gradually ramping assistance as the legs start to weaken. I weigh around 88 kilos, anyone else had this issue?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
9.5 Build update

Motor failed at the weekend, sounds like nuts and bolts in a washing machine when I select any power mode or get off bike and push it backwards, dropped at local dealer, waiting to hear back. I'm starting to have doubts.

During the summer I noticed the power slowly being decreased from 300w to 100w during a climb in Alp D'Huez due to overheating, fair enough it was a relatively steep climb with 25 degrees air temp. Since then (and probably without noticing as I did not ride with power data screen showing previously) it has been regular, on gradual fire road climbs with air temp of 5 degrees in Glentress Scotland and local trails around my home.

My concern is the bike not being able to assist me when I really need it, I like to put in a fair bit of physical effort starting off in low power mode then gradually ramping assistance as the legs start to weaken. I weigh around 88 kilos, anyone else had this issue?

Glad to see you were climbing Alpe D’Huez. I live about 5-10 minutes from there. There is a good Trek dealer about 2 minutes from there by car If you are out here again and have an issue. I purchased my custom 9.5 from them. I hope you enjoyed our trails.

Rorschach84

Jun 9, 2023
Western Australia
Glad to see you were climbing Alpe D’Huez. I live about 5-10 minutes from there. There is a good Trek dealer about 2 minutes from there by car If you are out here again and have an issue. I purchased my custom 9.5 from them. I hope you enjoyed our trails.
I think he means the Alpe d'Huez in France, not the knock-off american one.

Keith3007

Jan 7, 2023
Glasgow
Did not realise the French one would be confused with another, maybe one day!

dcxs

Jan 22, 2024
swe
Hello! New 9.5 owner here, planning on upgrading to XT breaks and discs. Do you reuse the existing hoses and if not how hard is to install new ones? (First time doing anything with breaks)

Colakaka

Oct 3, 2023
Germany
Hello! New 9.5 owner here, planning on upgrading to XT breaks and discs. Do you reuse the existing hoses and if not how hard is to install new ones? (First time doing anything with breaks)
Hey,
I did the same. Very easy. I would replace the old hoses just too be sure.
The frame seems to have internal cable housings.
Start at the end. Them nou just need to take the TQ panel out of the top tube to make the exit.
There is a sectional in the service manual one the fuel-exe Webpage.

JCU Delt Ox

Apr 22, 2022
Ohio, USA
Has anyone submitted a "Spec Change Claim" with trek on the 9.5? I've read some reviews, particularly in Europe about the Sunrace cassette but was hopeful I'd still get a Deore. Nope, mine came with the Sunrace. I reached out to Trek and said that usually when a company swaps parts, it's something of equal or greater value. This is the exact opposite. The Sunrace is heavy, has a lesser range, doesn't shift as well and requires an HG driver that prevents the use of a 10T cog.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles