Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I have been seeing some pics here of some storage solutions for the two bosses under the top tube. Anybody want to chime in on what they are using/carrying? My five minute Google search did not lead me very far.
I've got a dakine hot laps gripper bag, it's doesn't use the mounting bolts, but uses a velcro strap. Can't say I put much thought into it as I had the bag from another bike,so would be interested to see what others have done.

It stores a tube, 2 X co2 cylinders, 2 tyre levers , a small multitool, and some tyre anchovies plus pickle fork

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I have been seeing some pics here of some storage solutions for the two bosses under the top tube. Anybody want to chime in on what they are using/carrying? My five minute Google search did not lead me very far.

I really like the One Up pump with EDC tool kit, mounted on the Jank Components inline mount. That keeps most things I need on the bike. I have this set up on all of my bikes. I have a derailleur hanger zip tied under the seat on each bike. The only other thing I carry is a spare tube. I keep that in my waist hydration pack.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Worth a look, plus support Eric Olson!

LBS (Fanatik) confirms I killed my 4-month old GX AXS derailleur. So currently pondering replacing vs going to cable-actuated GX.

Wait a few months for the Shimano Linkglide. EMTB specific and supposed to be Bad A$$! It is already out on some new bikes, but don't think it is available as a drivetrain only purchase yet. They are going to make it with an 11 and 12 speed version. I think 11 speed would be perfect on an EMTB. I have had good luck with my AXS derailleurs, but I run X01.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I really like the One Up pump with EDC tool kit, mounted on the Jank Components inline mount. That keeps most things I need on the bike. I have this set up on all of my bikes. I have a derailleur hanger zip tied under the seat on each bike. The only other thing I carry is a spare tube. I keep that in my waist hydration pack.
I like this idea but I am not able to fit a full size water bottle and the oneup pump on my size L frame. Can you post a photo of your setup?
Edit: Ok i found some of your photos. Seems you just don't ride with a water bottle.
Wait a few months for the Shimano Linkglide. EMTB specific and supposed to be Bad A$$! It is already out on some new bikes, but don't think it is available as a drivetrain only purchase yet. They are going to make it with an 11 and 12 speed version. I think 11 speed would be perfect on an EMTB. I have had good luck with my AXS derailleurs, but I run X01.
So far it seems like the cassette is something like 800 grams as far as I can see. Sounds like a but much, especially considering the sram EX cassette is 350g or less. I like the idea, but damn that weight.
I'd also like if they made the link glide in a micro spline version so I don't have to go out and purchase new bodies for all my wheels.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It weighs a ton, not for me.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I‘ve had a run of sub-optimal shimano experiences. Although this wasn’t a great Sram experience either. I hear there’s an AXS direct-mount coming. I just went back to GX cable for now.
what happened? I have been quite happy with 12sp shimano drivetrains. They do start shifting quite bad when they get dirty, so if you are often riding in real bad mud it's not great. The thing I like about the shimano stuff is that I can just swap the 3 smallest cogs 3 times per cassette real cheap and the cassette will last for a long time so I can use XT or even XTR cassettes without being upset when the smallest cogs wear out. Went 3k km on my Orbea Rise on the same cassette by just swapping the smallest cogs.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I‘ve had a run of sub-optimal shimano experiences. Although this wasn’t a great Sram experience either. I hear there’s an AXS direct-mount coming. I just went back to GX cable for now.

I love the SRAM drivetrains and is all I ride. I was told last week by my LBS that SRM has some really cool stuff coming out, but could not share what yet.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Smaller oneup pump with Jank components inline sideload holder. Had to shave holder and shim one end with a washer to also use a full-size water bottle.

Tried salsa bag but didn’t like.

Guy on eBay or Etsy selling and adapter to let you run dynaplugs in the pump. Have a number of extras in the pump.

Pricey, but very happy with setup and use the pump on another bike.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
what happened?
Just hack riding & ham-fisted wrenching :)

The best drive train I’ve ever had is on my chromag. 11-spd GX shifter & R Der, with an XT 11-42 HG freehub and Sram chain. I bought it all used and it’s got 4 seasons of winter riding since. The cassette is missing teeth and the chain is definitely stretched out. Somehow it shifts awesome.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
I am so happy with my 9.7. My ride today was 19.63 miles and 1,143 feet of elevation gain. With the last mile being an 800 foot climb. So, most of the ride was pretty flat. But, I was riding with my friend with an analog bike. So, I never turned my EXe on. I swear my EXe coasted and pedaled better than his 25 pound analog bike. He had to walk up the last hill. I stood and grinded to the top with three gears left. And, my legs or lungs never burned. I am super happy with this bike. It’s fun when it’s on. But, I can still ride anything with it off. And, now I know I can go for really long rides and not have to worry about the battery. If I go for a really long ride, I’ll just start with it shut off, turn it on when I have to and use more power as I get more tired, towards the end of the ride.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Well after all that, I got ERR 049E DRV SENS after I washed it and about an hour after I dried it. I didn’t use any high pressure water stream. Got any ideas what’s wrong? I looked it up and found:

Torquesensor error. Restart the system and avoid unintended use. Contact your TQ dealer if the error still occurs.

I’m not really sure what’s meant by restart the system.

Any ideas?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Well after all that, I got ERR 049E DRV SENS after I washed it and about an hour after I dried it. I didn’t use any high pressure water stream. Got any ideas what’s wrong? I looked it up and found:

Any ideas?
My Fuel has only thrown one error code, mid ride, and I think it may have been the same one. I removed the rear wheel and wiped off the sensor & magnet, restarted, problem solved. I think I just had a bunch of mud/loam/water interrupting the connection between the wheel magnet & sensor.

My last ebike had frequent moisture-related error codes. Cleaning & drying all the electrical connections (battery, Motor & display) with contact cleaner and applying dialectric grease helped. It was a PIA and just cost of ownership with that bike. I’ve been riding in wet conditions and hosing my Fuel off a lot this winter, no issues. I do apply dialectric grease to the battery connection. Could also be that your code is unrelated to the hosing.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Stoked- I got 3307’ up&down today and still had 30% left at the end. I used the settings below and did the first 1500’ in tuned-down Eco, then the rest of the ride in trail mode. Threw it in boost for the last traverse, why not. I think warmer temps and drier trails are improving range.

61339C8E-A56A-41CB-A8FF-0C7461493328.png 798CEA43-1FD3-4B46-8EA5-0F8FE3C1EE44.png

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023

Torquesensor error. Restart the system and avoid unintended use. Contact your TQ dealer if the error still occurs.

I’m not really sure what’s meant by restart the system.

Any ideas?
Good news. I was able to do a reset and get rid of the error. I was doing the reset wrong. I was holding down the screen and down button on the remote, at the same time. Then I tried first holding down the screen button, then holding down the down button on the remote and keeping them both pressed for 10 seconds. And, now I have the screen back. I had to change it from KPH to MPH and redo my motor settings. And, while I was at it I disabled the walk mode and enabled a screen change with a long up button push on the remote. It’s raining out again, so I’ll have to wait a couple days before I ride. So for now, no visit to the bike shop.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
NSMB Article featuring Fuel EXe
Interesting that it worked well with the stock TQ/E13 chainring.

Not sad about my brand new cable-actuated GX drivetrain. I’d like to see the direct-mount/float top chain & cassette technology trickle down to GX, and cable actuated too. I guess I’m a little sore about that bent AXS on my workbench. When it hits $500 Im in!

thomasbran

Feb 15, 2023
Italy
NSMB Article featuring Fuel EXe
Interesting that it worked well with the stock TQ/E13 chainring.

Not sad about my brand new cable-actuated GX drivetrain. I’d like to see the direct-mount/float top chain & cassette technology trickle down to GX, and cable actuated too. I guess I’m a little sore about that bent AXS on my workbench. When it hits $500 Im in!
$500 will take some time...last time it took years before they came out with a GX AXS...

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
New bike with the tq motor

Interesting about a new controller and it talks about some kind of 30 second power boost, it doesn't seem to go into much detail about what this power boost is,how much extra power etc.

I wonder if it's just a way of restricting access to the Max mode,or whether it gives more power than the max mode.

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Do our bikes have a UDH or universal derailleur hanger. I’m wondering if the newly introduced SRAM transmission will fit on our bikes?
Yes, but with the pivot placement you'll be clamping the bearing at 35 Nm. No idea if that's fine or has the potential, at the very least, to shorten the life of the bearing. Could also restrict the movement of the pivot? Not saying either of those will be an issue, but it's at least worth pondering. Great point that was made in the NSMB review.

And on a side note, the UDH that came on the bike is a chinesium POS. NSB makes a nice one, but make sure to get the Trek specific one.

Smr238

Oct 5, 2022
Georgia
Yes, but with the pivot placement you'll be clamping the bearing at 35 Nm. No idea if that's fine or has the potential, at the very least, to shorten the life of the bearing. Could also restrict the movement of the pivot? Not saying either of those will be an issue, but it's at least worth pondering. Great point that was made in the NSMB review.

And on a side note, the UDH that came on the bike is a chinesium POS. NSB makes a nice one, but make sure to get the Trek specific one.
where do i find this NSB hanger

volts

May 15, 2018
DK

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I'm assuming the bearing is captured in such a way that it's not subject to that 35nm preload. Might be the bushing frame insert (e) holds the width of the bearing? Or maybe, only the bearings inner race is pre-loaded?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
LBS (Fanatik) confirms I killed my 4-month old GX AXS derailleur. So currently pondering replacing vs going to cable-actuated GX.
Some interesting follow-ups....Since my GX AXS appeared straight enough(although missing a large chunk of plastic) I did some experimenting to see if it could be salvaged.
  • Cages are not interchangeable between cable-actuated and AXS GX derailleurs. I had a spare/donor cable-actuated GX, so I figured I'd try- but no dice.
  • Since the GX AXS appeared straight, I tried it on another bike. First thing I noticed was that, on my Propain Tyee, it required nowhere near as much B-tension screw as it did on my Fuel. And behold, it works acceptably well- with a shimano cassette & chain even. I definitely could not get it to work on my Fuel. I don't really understand why it works on one bike, but not another- Fanatik checked & straightened my hanger so I don't think that's it. Maybe a kink in the old chain....Just happy it's not in the garbage.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles