Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
It's probably the motor compensation screws are not set correctly for your frame.

The tq motor has adjustable screws alter the width of the motor mounting points that allow it to be bolted to frames with slightly different widths, you need to use some Vernier calipers to measure the width of the frame mounting points and then set the motor compensation screws on the motor to the same width. Mine creaked like an old bed until I adjusted the screws correctly.

Here's an excerpt from the tq installation manual.

View attachment 111741
Can you provide a link to the manual or upload it here... Can't seem to find on TQ's site... Thanks

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Had a very similar sounding issue on a different bike. Ended up being the UDH not torqued correctly. Easy to check
Yep mine was loose too and to opposite side too. you need a cassette tool to tighten that, and it was much better. Basically, you need to check the entire frame every 500km or so, maybe even less. Stuff just comes loose after a while.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Basically, you need to check the entire frame every 500km or so, maybe even less. Stuff just comes loose after a while.
YES! Thank you for saying this. I think it needs to be a big fat sticky.

The way I see it.... eBikes allow us to double/triple ride lengths and ride 2-3x as often. So we go through disposable parts and need maintenance 2-3x as often. Bikes loosen up and break in, like any high-performance thing. Cars to lawn mowers, they often say use gently the first maintenance cycle *and then* change your fluids and check your fasteners.

It is not complicated. Beer, threadlock, grease, a torque wrench & a few rags. I just spend an hour every few rides, or as soon as I hear a creak or notice any performance issues.

Nugget

Mar 8, 2023
Perth, Australia
Here you go. I can input your weight if you want more specific tuning info.

View attachment 111814
Thankyou. I was actually chasing just the info on the first page. It should look something like this:

6BDDFE93-367C-43DD-A4B6-5E364BADC59B.png

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Would anyone happen to know how much the 9.5 wheel set weighs? I want to buy a Spinergy wheel set. I’m trying to decide if I should get their ebike wheel set or the regular MTB wheelset. I don’t want a wheel set that’s heavier than the OEM wheels.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Would anyone happen to know how much the 9.5 wheel set weighs? I want to buy a Spinergy wheel set. I’m trying to decide if I should get their ebike wheel set or the regular MTB wheelset. I don’t want a wheel set that’s heavier than the OEM wheels.

Front 2584g
Rear 3551g
Both with tubes and with 203mm 2,3 mm rotors from TRP

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Guys I’m looking for the wheel set weight for the OEM 9.7 wheels only. I mean, just the wheels, without tubes, tires or brake discs. Thanks! The wheels I’m considering are 1,995 grams for the set. I don’t want to go any heavier if I can help it.

Swingset

Sep 9, 2022
Southern Cal
I took off the Line Comps on my 9.7 and replaced them with a set of I9 305's. Lot of money for not a bunch of performance improvement. They look cool and the Hydra sings but the stocks wheels are pretty good in my opinion.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I took off the Line Comps on my 9.7 and replaced them with a set of I9 305's. Lot of money for not a bunch of performance improvement. They look cool and the Hydra sings but the stocks wheels are pretty good in my opinion.
It depends heavily on version. The 9.5 stock wheels absolutely suck ass.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
It depends heavily on version. The 9.5 stock wheels absolutely suck ass.
I heard the 9.7 Bontrager Line Comp are excellent value for the money but that the 9.5 Alex MD wheels (which are also 35 mm versus the 30 mm on the Line Comp) are heavy. :(

My Bontrager Line Comp also came with 108 points of engagement. The on-line specs say it’s 54 with the 9.7 model but I think I heard that all new Line Comp are coming with 108 from the factory? Anyways, never had a high engagement wheel before and they sound sweet!

njatherton

Dec 1, 2022
PA USA
What tyre/tire pressures you using?

I ran 16F/18R on my old 'analog' bike but with the Exe being heavier I'm finding I get a lot of rim dings on the rear when I hit rocks hard. I tried upping the pressure on the rear to compensate but I don't like the loss of grip. Tire is a Maxxis Dissector.

So I'm thinking of using a tyre/tire insert. Anyone running one of these? Any recommendations? I'm thinking of a Rimpact Pro.

wizard604

Jul 30, 2022
Vancouver
I heard the 9.7 Bontrager Line Comp are excellent value for the money but that the 9.5 Alex MD wheels (which are also 35 mm versus the 30 mm on the Line Comp) are heavy. :(

My Bontrager Line Comp also came with 108 points of engagement. The on-line specs say it’s 54 with the 9.7 model but I think I heard that all new Line Comp are coming with 108 from the factory? Anyways, never had a high engagement wheel before and they sound sweet!
I have the 9.7 with Line Comp and was about to buy the parts to upgrade it to 108. But maybe mine is already 108. It does sound like more than 54t when free wheeling. I'm just too lazy to take it apart right now to look. You may have just saved me some $$... Mind you the extra pawls are pretty cheap 😁

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
I have the 9.7 with Line Comp and was about to buy the parts to upgrade it to 108. But maybe mine is already 108. It does sound like more than 54t when free wheeling. I'm just too lazy to take it apart right now to look. You may have just saved me some $$... Mind you the extra pawls are pretty cheap 😁

It’s written right on the side of the hub that it’s 108, so you don’t have to take anything apart. So instead of 54 like in the pic, it says 108

Edited to add: the owner of the wheel in the pic/ video upgraded his 54 to 108

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
I'm over 6 months into ownership of this bike, 9.8XT and I must admit it's a wonderful thing but not without its flaws.

The one thing I struggle with is the lack of ISCG05 mounts for a bashguard.

I've killed two chainrings now on not particularly chunky trails.
Might just be luck, lack of skill or finesse but it seems I'd benefit from one.

Time to set it in high, running a 32t chainring and 160mm forks. Hopefully that makes the difference.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
If anyone is wanting the run centerlock brake disc wheels, but is stuck with how to get the speed sensor magnet mounted, I can confirm that this magnet works fine

Thanks for that!

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I was unable to find a North American source for the Giant centerlock magnet, but I did order a couple of the SP-SS20 centerlock magnets from TRP and can confirm that they are also fully compatible with the Shimano RT-MT800 and RT-MT900 rotors to secure the magnet in the same radial position as the hard-to-find (and more expensive) EM810 and EM910 ebike rotors.

Last edited:

tony.c

Nov 17, 2022
Italia
Ciao, do you know if the official battery extender is available somewhere? here in Italy I cannot even place an order...

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Thanks for that!
Something to keep in mind about the CL magnets- the style that have a ring which fits concentric, underneath the CL lockring will require a wrench that can clear the magnet itself. A standard flat BB spanner (which wants to sit flush with the rotor) will not work- you’ll need a socket-style. This is why I went with the Cateye magnet.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Something to keep in mind about the CL magnets- the style that have a ring which fits concentric, underneath the CL lockring will require a wrench that can clear the magnet itself. A standard flat BB spanner (which wants to sit flush with the rotor) will not work- you’ll need a socket-style. This is why I went with the Cateye magnet.
my standard flat BB spanner worked fine with the giant magnet linked above.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Not holding my breath- anyone one who posts and actual pic of one on their personal bike gets more than a few likes from me.
presume you're referring to the range extender? Theres a bloke on the facebook fuel exe forum in the uk who has one, he's been posting various updates about how it works, etc, he got it a few weeks ago.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles