Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So I have an EXE on order. I've read through this Megathread.

At this point, what is the takeaway regarding this bike? Is it a dumpster fire piece of trash lemon; or is it good? My summary of issues I've read, and wondering if these things are widespread:
  • Engine noise from the clutch when there's not enough torque to engage the engine.
  • Water: water can seep into the battery compartment or damage the display.
  • Downgrades of components and Trek not being upfront about it.
  • TQ not being quick enough on a fix and lack of communication regarding the engine noise.
I'm actually surprised how reliable the tq hpr50 is, I don't think I've heard of a single genuine failure of the motor itself, yes a couple of displays have failed and were quickly replaced under warranty.

The noise is not indicative of a problem ,it's just a characteristic of the motor in very limited circumstances, and tq have said they will try to fix with sotware,. I can make my motor make the noise at will,but it never makes the noise during normal use.

Water has not been an issue for me yet,and I ride in the UK in all weather's,and trust me ,it's been v wet recently. The battery and motor are IP67 rated, which I think is a higher waterproof rating than most other motors, the display is "only" IP66 rated.

Trek changing spec of bits, well yes that has happened to people but I think trek have promised to put right .

TQ not fixing the noise, like I say it's not really a fault,just a characteristic, try one and see if you ride in a way to create the noise and if you do,see if it bothers you.

The issue for me (which isn't on your list) is the lack of availability of the range extender battery, it was supposed to be available in November,but has been pushed back to march,but now I'm hearing rumours of April. That's nearly 12 months after the bike was released!

Last edited:

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I'm actually surprised how reliable the tq hpr50 is, I don't think I've heard of a single genuine failure of the motor itself, yes a couple of displays have failed.

The noise is not indicative of a problem ,it's just a characteristic of the motor in very limited circumstances, and tq have said they will try to fix with sotware,. I can make my motor make the noise at will,but it never makes the noise during normal use.

Water has not been an issue for me yet,and I ride in the UK in all weather's,and trust me ,it's been v wet recently.

Trek changing spec of bits, well yes that has happened to people but I think trek have promised to put right.

TQ not fixing the noise, like I say it's not really a fault,just a characteristic, try one and see if you ride in a way to create the noise and if you do,see if it bothers you.

The issue for me (which isn't on your list) is the lack of availability of the range extender battery, it was supposed to be available in November,but has been pushed back to march,but now I'm hearing rumours of April. That's nearly 12 months after the bike was released!
As a UK based EXe rider, I agree with this 100%. The only disappointment for me is the lack of the Range Extender, which I have paid for and can't use, because it apparently doesn't exist. Maybe Trek need to think about how to compensate those of us in this situation, whilst they're sat there with our money in their bank accounts...

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

At this point, what is the takeaway regarding this bike? Is it a dumpster fire piece of trash lemon; or is it good? My summary of issues I've read, and wondering if these things are widespread:
  • Engine noise from the clutch when there's not enough torque to engage the engine.
  • TQ not being quick enough on a fix and lack of communication regarding the engine noise.

I would definitely recommend the bIke. Everything is as advertised by Trek; unfortunately, they didn’t advertise the range. This is my ONLY complaint. The bike is otherwise incredible in every way. I have had zero issues and the motor is silent and natural feeling.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

I experienced a few issues you mentioned and also had a faulty dropper post. I also had the opportunity to return the bike to Trek even after the 30 day period but I kept it because it is just a great bike all around and is exactly what I wanted from an eBike. The clutch issue seems to be not serious. I was worried that in the beginning as it was unclear if it could be a motor fault that may impact durability but it sound like that is not the case. Get the bike and ride it. Trek will make things right. I was very impressed with the interaction with my Trek shop. This is my first Trek bike.

playboater15

Jan 11, 2023
Crickhowell
Hey everyone, I've really enjoyed my first couple of rides. I have a question for someone techy. Trek website FAQs says you can connect ANT+ HR monitor to the bike, and the the app on my phone says only bluetooth. As I'm using Garmin Fenix 6, i can now generate 2 distinct tracklogs of the ride for strava, but one with HR and one with power.. Has anyone been able to get both sets of data in the same file? Thanks!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hey everyone, I've really enjoyed my first couple of rides. I have a question for someone techy. Trek website FAQs says you can connect ANT+ HR monitor to the bike, and the the app on my phone says only bluetooth. As I'm using Garmin Fenix 6, i can now generate 2 distinct tracklogs of the ride for strava, but one with HR and one with power.. Has anyone been able to get both sets of data in the same file? Thanks!
Yes, you just pair the fenix 6 up with the bikes power meter (and battery monitor, cadence sensor,speed sensor,and power assist mode indicator), then whenever you record a ride using the fenix all this data and your heart rate data from the watches wrist HR sensor get stored and transferred to Garmin connect when you upload the ride.

See below for a screenshot from Garmin connect showing power data overlayed with heart rate, this was recorded on a fenix paired with the bike

Screenshot_20230115-173321.png

Last edited:

playboater15

Jan 11, 2023
Crickhowell
Yes, you just pair the fenix 6 up with the bikes power meter (and battery monitor, cadence sensor,speed sensor,and power assist mode indicator), then whenever you record a ride using the fenix all this data and your heart rate data from the watches wrist HR sensor get stored and transferred to Garmin connect when you upload the ride.

See below for a screenshot from Garmin connect showing power data overlayed with heart rate, this was recorded on a fenix paired with the bike

View attachment 104632
Ahh fantastic, so I'll try doing it that way round, rather than pairing HR to the bike! Thank you.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I'm looking at the EXE, along with several other bikes. I sold my Giant Stance E+ this month and have a Norco Bigfoot VLT for winter, muddy and casual rides.

The thing that kind of has me annoyed with the EXE is the fact I haven't been able to test one yet. I get not taking it for an entire ride, but my local dealership will not even let me test it in their parking lot. Rail no issue, Rocky Mountain no issue (even offered each as a 24-hour test), but the EXE is you buy it, then try it. Makes me concerned about it. They have 3 on their floor, and they can't sell them. They said they will not let people test them because they are too scared of them getting damaged. I don't understand because the rail they offered was more money. I wonder if they think they are more brittle.

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
I'm looking at the EXE, along with several other bikes. I sold my Giant Stance E+ this month and have a Norco Bigfoot VLT for winter, muddy and casual rides.

The thing that kind of has me annoyed with the EXE is the fact I haven't been able to test one yet. I get not taking it for an entire ride, but my local dealership will not even let me test it in their parking lot. Rail no issue, Rocky Mountain no issue (even offered each as a 24-hour test), but the EXE is you buy it, then try it. Makes me concerned about it. They have 3 on their floor, and they can't sell them. They said they will not let people test them because they are too scared of them getting damaged. I don't understand because the rail they offered was more money. I wonder if they think they are more brittle.
Well, that's your experience of course. The world is a big place, and, in my case anyway, I have had the opposite experience. I've test ridden the EXE at 3 different bike shops over the past week. Where are you located?

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I'm in Eastern Canada
Try other Trek dealers?

I was able to take a Trek EXe out in the lower mainland. Was able to take it for 4 hours, wherever. I was concerned about the range, but I did my regular loop and it was similar to my Orbea Rise. It is definitely a bit more work, the Rise at times feels like someone is pushing my bike up. The Trek made me feel like I was in better shape than I truly am, the trek was more natural to me.

It is not a perfect bike, yet. But it will probably do until there is a more aggressive lightweight ebike (think Kenevo SL with more power).

Ddub

May 24, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
Does anyone know why when my wife tries to use the trek app to record a ride it thinks we start from home even though we only connect to the bike and start the ride at the forest where we ride?
BBA846DE-891E-43D9-A277-103F9E073D3D.jpeg
BBA846DE-891E-43D9-A277-103F9E073D3D.jpeg

Oct 16, 2022
Georgia
Need some help please folks. I need the chainring spider, which comes on the SRAM drivetrain-equipped bikes, but can not find it for love nor money. I thought it was the FSA W0108, but the interface looks completely different to that which came off my bike.

Please help!!!
Have had one on order for at least a few months through LBS where I bought my EXe. Don't know part number, but even if I did don't think it would help you get one quickly.

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

The only thing brittle is the paint. I have the 9.8XT and it is solid as a rock but the paint is pretty bad and chips easily.

Piccirilli

Jan 17, 2023
Asheville, NC
I am getting ready to order/purchase a Fuel EXe and need some help here regarding the 9.8 version. Does the rear Rockshox Super Delux Select have similar internal spacers that can be removed like on the Fox Performance Float X, to extend the travel to 62.5mm? And can the Rockshox Lyric Select + Fork be upgraded to 160mm Travel like on the Fox Rythm 36? This is a definite deal breaker for me.
Also, I'm wondering if the Rockshox suspension on the 9.8 is any real improvement over the Fox spec'd suspension on the 9.7. Can anyone comment on this?

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU
At this point, what is the takeaway regarding this bike? Is it a dumpster fire piece of trash lemon; or is it good?
Rode it twice. First time an hour and second time on a rainy day for over 30km and approx 800m elevation through dirt and mud.

I had zero issues. Never heard a grinding noise and not a single error.

Did the same trail once in similar rainy conditions with a Levo SL and had several power issues. Support stopped working and I had to restart the whole bike to get it working properly again. So the Levo seemed to really have problems with the water leaking into the system somewhere I guess.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Thanks for your reply.
The offset (which I presume will affect the Q-factor) is 22.5mm on both cranks.
I am just going to test them and see how they work. If all is good I’ll fit my Hope cranks.
Just fyi for anyone that may be interested, I recently purchased some e13 Alloy crank arms in 160mm length (on Sale 😀) and they are stamped as having a 19.5mm Offset. So a 3mm offset difference compared to the 165mm e13 Alloy.

MamboN5

Dec 6, 2022
España
The other option is that you have not finished the previous route, with the bike turned off it cannot be finished, so the next day when the bike is detected, it continues with the previous route and makes a straight line from where the bike was disconnected to the location that has when connected.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I am getting ready to order/purchase a Fuel EXe and need some help here regarding the 9.8 version. Does the rear Rockshox Super Delux Select have similar internal spacers that can be removed like on the Fox Performance Float X, to extend the travel to 62.5mm? And can the Rockshox Lyric Select + Fork be upgraded to 160mm Travel like on the Fox Rythm 36? This is a definite deal breaker for me.
Also, I'm wondering if the Rockshox suspension on the 9.8 is any real improvement over the Fox spec'd suspension on the 9.7. Can anyone comment on this?
When I bought my 9.8 (October '22) I learned the 2023 rockshox forks require entire new air spring assemblies to change travel, and they were not yet available. I heard February- so worth checking, but may not be available immediately.

Pretty sure the super deluxe also has travel spacers which can be easily removed, but I found the lack of compression adjustment unfortunate. Stock tune was too soft.

There's nothing left of my original 9.8 build, other than the headset & cranks. If I was to do it again, I'd get a 9.5 or 9.7 and upgrade. The frame & motor have been great however!

bike2mars

Nov 8, 2021
new zealand
When I bought my 9.8 (October '22) I learned the 2023 rockshox forks require entire new air spring assemblies to change travel, and they were not yet available. I heard February- so worth checking, but may not be available immediately.

Pretty sure the super deluxe also has travel spacers which can be easily removed, but I found the lack of compression adjustment unfortunate. Stock tune was too soft.

There's nothing left of my original 9.8 build, other than the headset & cranks. If I was to do it again, I'd get a 9.5 or 9.7 and upgrade. The frame & motor have been great however!
Hi ,I bought the 9.5 for that very reason .Change out most parts ,
38 fox fork
x2 float shock
xtr brakes
axs shifting
carbon ,bars & wheels set
deity stem
hope brake rotors
Oh and had motor replaced as the other one was making a clicking noise when peddling with motor off , it would come and go, had motor replace noise stop for awhile then came back ,guess these motors dont like been used turn off . Had my wheel set replace by trek as the 9.5 came with cup & cone bearings not seal in back wheel .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles