Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
B

Bonjour, pour comparer l'autonomie du sl et du fuel exe, il faudrait paramétrer assistance et puissance identiques. Pour la puissance maxi il faut prendre en compte la différence 240/300w.
120 w c'est 50% sur le sl et 40% sur le trek
Pour l'assistance, les 2 moteurs apportent x200. Mais l'application Specialized va de 0 à 100% et Trek de 0 à 200%.
Je pense qu'une assistance de 40 % sur le trek correspond à 20 % sur le sl.
Êtes-vous d'accord avec ça ?
Sorry, I don’t speak french.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It was just asked as a comparison! I love the Trek haha. I think its helpful for people to know how it compares range wise - but the power deliver of the TQ is next level. It feels so natural, and that is what the EXe does so well; giving a natural feel but just give you that extra bit uphill.

Curious to see when the range extenders will come in. My local Trek shop did not have an ETA.
end of march for the range extenders according to trek - but it wouldnt surprise me if they are late again.

Sly07

May 8, 2022
France
Please keep it in English.
Google translate 😏:
Hello, to compare the autonomy of the sl and the fuel exe, it would be necessary to configure identical assistance and power. For the maximum power it is necessary to take into account the difference 240/300w.
120 w is 50% on the sl and 40% on the trek
For assistance, the 2 motors provide x200. But the Specialized app goes from 0-100% and Trek from 0-200%.
I think 40% assist on the trek is 20% on the sl.
Are you okay with that ?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
It was just asked as a comparison! I love the Trek haha. I think its helpful for people to know how it compares range wise - but the power deliver of the TQ is next level. It feels so natural, and that is what the EXe does so well; giving a natural feel but just give you that extra bit uphill.

Curious to see when the range extenders will come in. My local Trek shop did not have an ETA.
I do think the range comparisons are completely inaccurate and misleading though.

Actual range is completely dependent on rider weight, trail surface and assistance level. Saturday (below) I killed my EXe battery in 2900', but that was climbing in snow with full-power eBikes. They all finished with >50% battery. On other rides I've gotten 3800'+ and finished with battery left. That's on a mullet with DD casing minions and 185lb rider.

BikeRumor:
The reduction ratio of the TQ-HPR50 motor is 17.5, much lower than the reduction ratio used by other commercially available eMTB motors.
Different motors will be more/less efficient at different assist levels. The low reduction ratio of the TQ is probably what gives it such a natural feel, and could give it much better durability. It would figure this also means the TQ motor is most efficient in Eco/Trail. People put the TQ in trail/boost to keep up with higher-torque motors and it comes at the cost of efficiency.

@Salespunk That blue looks so good!

snow.jpg

Last edited:

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I do think the range comparisons are completely inaccurate and misleading though.

Actual range is completely dependent on rider weight, trail surface and assistance level. Saturday (below) I killed my EXe battery in 2900', but that was climbing in snow with full-power eBikes. They all finished with >50% battery. On other rides I've gotten 3800'+ and finished with battery left. That's on a mullet with DD casing minions and 185lb rider.

Different motors will be more/less efficient at different assist levels. The low reduction ratio of the TQ is probably what gives it such a natural feel, and could give it much better durability. It would figure this also means the TQ motor is most efficient in Eco/Trail. People put the TQ in trail/boost to keep up with higher-torque motors and it comes at the cost of efficiency.

@Salespunk That blue looks so good!

View attachment 105055
Yep, I can roast the battery in 2000-2200ft vertical (8 miles) in boost on steep, damp trails (rider weight 205lbs, bike weight 44 lbs) or milk out 3000-3500ft in ECO/trail on less steep trails. Similar range as my Rail w/625, so not complaining here. Still planning to get range extender as I have 2 batteries for Rail for bigger ride days

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
There has to be a Rise thread somewhere in this forum.
Yup, you would be right. What a good thing that we can share information from multiple threads and rider feedback so that people in the market for a new bike can make an educated purchase. Bikes are not cheap. Sharing information just helps people make the best decision with their hard earned money.

playboater15

Jan 11, 2023
Crickhowell
Hey, a friend told me that an update is coming for the app/bike to run 27.5" rear wheel without messing up the speed sensor. I don't know if there would be any other issues with the app, power output, etc if I do run a 27.5" rear before this... Does anyone know if this update is coming, and what issues I might encounter running a smaller wheel now? Thanks.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Hey, a friend told me that an update is coming for the app/bike to run 27.5" rear wheel without messing up the speed sensor. I don't know if there would be any other issues with the app, power output, etc if I do run a 27.5" rear before this... Does anyone know if this update is coming, and what issues I might encounter running a smaller wheel now? Thanks.

The motor will cut out at a slightly lower speed (like 0.5mph lower) if you put a smaller wheel in now.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
You have non-carbon cranks.
How can you tell? EDIT: I see it now too. Thanks for pointing it out! Its a 300$ difference, so yeah, they'll need to fix that.

Bit annoying as I specifically asked this question when I picked it up as I read about it happening. Just called the store and they are going to order the correct cranks but there may be a bit of a wait to get them.

Last edited:

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
How can you tell? EDIT: I see it now too. Thanks for pointing it out! Its a 300$ difference, so yeah, they'll need to fix that.

Bit annoying as I specifically asked this question when I picked it up as I read about it happening. Just called the store and they are going to order the correct cranks but there may be a bit of a wait to get them.
I can answer that, the alloy ones have the two indentations on each crank. The E13 carbon ones are completely flat

If you check the Trek website under Fuel EXE and look at the 9.8XT you'll see the difference in cranks. A LOT of people who purchased 9.8's got alloy cranks and store credit when they asked as E13 ran out of stock of Carbon

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
I can answer that, the alloy ones have the two indentations on each crank. The E13 carbon ones are completely flat

If you check the Trek website under Fuel EXE and look at the 9.8XT you'll see the difference in cranks. A LOT of people who purchased 9.8's got alloy cranks and store credit when they asked as E13 ran out of stock of Carbon
Yeah my store was actually able to order the carbon ones so they’ll be replacing them! Its kind of lame though, that they do not point it out. I don’t mind a variation on similar parts, but with these bigger difference they should clearly communicate it. Makes me wonder if I need to check all the parts on my 9.8xt.

Jan 26, 2023
Australia
I purchased an exe 9.7 in Nov 22. It was good for a week or two and then started creaking from the BB when under stress - sprinting, out of the saddle tech climbs etc. I have had it back to the shop 3 times. Lock ring has been set to 50nm, all pivots / linkages cleaned and lubed, motor bolts removed, greased and replaced. Each time, it rides fine for around 20mins, and then the creaking starts. Is there anything else that I could try to solve this issue? I love the bike, have 3 other Treks, but the creaking is chronic, really distracting, loud and there seems to be few answers. Runs a 160mm fox factory fork, and AXS Eagle. Any help appreciated.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
I purchased an exe 9.7 in Nov 22. It was good for a week or two and then started creaking from the BB when under stress - sprinting, out of the saddle tech climbs etc. I have had it back to the shop 3 times. Lock ring has been set to 50nm, all pivots / linkages cleaned and lubed, motor bolts removed, greased and replaced. Each time, it rides fine for around 20mins, and then the creaking starts. Is there anything else that I could try to solve this issue? I love the bike, have 3 other Treks, but the creaking is chronic, really distracting, loud and there seems to be few answers. Runs a 160mm fox factory fork, and AXS Eagle. Any help appreciated.
Maybe it’s coming from the bearings of the hub or wheel?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Could you swap the wheelset out with another 12spd boost bike? Have you checked the cassette, greased the hub splines?

Mine was creaky when new, but has been silent the last ~25 rides. The quietest bike I’ve owned in years.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Different bike I know but the same annoying noise. On my Rail I could have sworn it was the Bosch motor and/or BB creaking, had it into the shop 3 times.

Turned out it was the bearing within the seat stay on the drive side. Removed and re-seated the bearings in square and that killed the noise.

Creaks on carbon frames can often carry sound from other areas of the bike. Good Luck!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Can anyone please tell me what the magnet that screws to the rear hub is called, and is it a generic spare or something specific for the bike? Thanks!
Speed sensor magnet, it's semi generic. You can buy a specific trek/tq magnet but others will also work. Ridiculously priced spares below

Or you can just glue any strong magnet in place.

Jan 26, 2023
Australia
Different bike I know but the same annoying noise. On my Rail I could have sworn it was the Bosch motor and/or BB creaking, had it into the shop 3 times.

Turned out it was the bearing within the seat stay on the drive side. Removed and re-seated the bearings in square and that killed the noise.

Creaks on carbon frames can often carry sound from other areas of the bike. Good Luck!
Thank you, much appreciated, I'll try the bearings.

thaiduong649

Aug 20, 2022
New Zealand
I have my bike in the shop to get this same problem looked at along with a 2nd broken remote, will let you know if they resolved it (Torpedo7 in NZ)

2nd time it's been in the shop, it has had the computer replaced, broken remote and the motor rumble when soft pedalling.

Nice bike but definitely version 1.0 issues, also doesn't help that replacement parts seem to be held in Australia.

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
Hey Jack, I know precisely what you mean.
My 9.8 started doing the same and I had it back and forth between me and the Trek store trying to solve it.

They'd "fix" it, torque to spec and it'd be ok at the shop but as soon as I got on the trail it started again. Sounded like a farm gate.
The store I bought it from recommended I take it to another local store as a technician there has some experience with this.

So have your store talk to Lachlan at Trek Springvale in VIC.
They solved it on mine and it's completely silent. They can advise your store on what to do perhaps.

Let us know how you get on.

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
Can you share here what they did so we can all benefit from it.
I don't know the specifics but they explained that they;
removed the motor, cranks and chainring, cleaned and regreased everything and super tightened everything back up.

The rear axle was also tight as when I got it back.

There may be more details I'm sure but that's what they told me.

The torque spec they might be using is higher than the stated bulletin updates.

All I know is, it no longer creaks thankfully.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Can you share here what they did so we can all benefit from it.
The torque specs in the manual appear to be just suggestions when you watch the guys at the dealer sling wrenches.
:oops:

I've said it before, but I completely tore my bike apart hunting down creak. Because it's an eBike and thanks to forums, I assumed it was the TQ motor or lockring. It was neither.

It wasn't rocket science- no lube on the seatpost, headset, cables were too long, some bolts were loose and many were over-tightened. Motor mount bolts loosed up after a few rides. Aftermarket Chris King hub had a known issue. Grease, anti-sieze/friction paste in all the appropriate spots, torque wrench. It really is amazingly quiet now. TQ motor with liquid grease in the king hub is super stealthy.

I didn't buy mine locally, so I don't want to throw the trek store under the bus. But it's worth considering, if your bike wasn't assembled correctly in the first place, will the same mechanic know how to identify & fix their own mistakes?

ZillaG

Nov 15, 2022
Cary, NC USA
I took the plunge and got a 9.7 Pennyflake, and changed the shifter+derailleur to a SRAM GX AXS, keeping the rest of the drivetrain original. It works really well. The eBike is a game changer. It lets me ride after a few days off the bike without killing myself. It saves the energy on climbs so you can go fast on the descents. On the hills (not mountains) around me, I just leave it on minimum assist 100% of the time, and it just feels like a light bike. I use 35% of the battery on a 8.5mi/400' elevation.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles