Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

rockymountaindude

May 6, 2022
Canada
Rode it twice. First time an hour and second time on a rainy day for over 30km and approx 800m elevation through dirt and mud.

I had zero issues. Never heard a grinding noise and not a single error.

Did the same trail once in similar rainy conditions with a Levo SL and had several power issues. Support stopped working and I had to restart the whole bike to get it working properly again. So the Levo seemed to really have problems with the water leaking into the system somewhere I guess.
Thanks Boss.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
On the Exe what are the power outputs of the various modes?

My current Norco I've been playing around with lowering my settings to be like an EXE (knowing my bike is heavier, different motor and its not apples to apples (i get it)) to see how I'd like the less output. I normally run my Norco around 50Nm so I think an EX-E would be a good fit.

Boost is easy I'm sure it's 50Nm with full assists but I'm wondering what the middle mode is set at?

Thanks!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
On the Exe what are the power outputs of the various modes?

My current Norco I've been playing around with lowering my settings to be like an EXE (knowing my bike is heavier, different motor and its not apples to apples (i get it)) to see how I'd like the less output. I normally run my Norco around 50Nm so I think an EX-E would be a good fit.

Boost is easy I'm sure it's 50Nm with full assists but I'm wondering what the middle mode is set at?

Thanks!

defaults are something like the following (cant remember exactly)

eco something like 90% assist , 100w max
mid something like 115% assist, 180w max
max something like 150% assist, 300w max

Ive set mine up as follows

eco 40% assist, 180w max
mid 135% assist, 180w max
max 170% assist, 300w max

most of the time is spent in eco.

Geniusbiker

Jan 13, 2021
Germany
I´m happy to be able to join this thread, as I have ordered a 2023 Trek Fuel EXe 9.8 XT. I´ve searched it in the P1 color satin baja yellow and size large. I found only 2 dealers in Germany who´ve had it available in the requested size and color. Both 9.8 XTs, no GX AXS modell available. Delivery time is at the moment 365 days if you ask your dealer to order one. Can pick it up at the end of next month.:)

BBFII

Nov 4, 2020
Madison Wisconsin

eco 40% assist, 180w max

close to the tune I love to run on my EXe!
For sure makes MODE-1 more ridable, more progressive power (40% assist) helps increase range when soft pedaling
Higher MAX is rewarding when you pedal harder!
The other tune I enjoy is a "ride with non-e bikes" basically a super-eco detuned version. I still keep a MAX assist available in MODE-3 so you can brahpbrahp when they aren't looking ;)

Sly07

May 8, 2022
France

eco 40% assist, 180w max

bonjour,
avec tes réglages du mode éco, tu penses faire combien au maximum en distance et dénivelé ? Mon objectif serait de faire au maximum 2000/ 2500m de d+ et 60km sur des circuits typés montagne. J'ai actuellement un levo sl avec lequel je peux le faire sans extendeur.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
bonjour,
avec tes réglages du mode éco, tu penses faire combien au maximum en distance et dénivelé ? Mon objectif serait de faire au maximum 2000/ 2500m de d+ et 60km sur des circuits typés montagne. J'ai actuellement un levo sl avec lequel je peux le faire sans extendeur.
Bonjour, I have to type this reply in English as my french is terrible.

It's hard to estimate because I have never really done an entire ride in eco , but I think if I stayed purely in eco mode and went at similar speeds to a normal pedal bike, I could probably get 4500feet of climbing, maybe a little more,maybe 5000 feet. For reference I weigh 82kg. The biggest ride I have done was 3300 feet over 20 miles ,and I had 30% battery remaining at the end, but that ride was done using a small amount of max and mid settings

Sly07

May 8, 2022
France
Bonjour, I have to type this reply in English as my french is terrible.

It's hard to estimate because I have never really done an entire ride in eco , but I think if I stayed purely in eco mode and went at similar speeds to a normal pedal bike, I could probably get 4500feet of climbing, maybe a little more,maybe 5000 feet. For reference I weigh 82kg.
ok thanks

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Is anyone else getting creak/pop noises from the motor area under hard pedaling efforts? I think it’s the motor mounts shifting slightly in the frame. On the ground, if I put a pedal at 6 o’clock and push the pedal toward the bike with my foot (I’m off the bike doing this) I can recreate the noise. But only once or twice then it stops like it has settled. If I go to the other side and do the same with the other pedal, same thing. Back to the other side and same thing again. So kind of like a pedaling effort.

I’ve checked the motor bolts previously and they were ok. I just upped the torque and can still recreate the noise in the garage. We’ll see if it’s any better tomorrow on the trail.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Bought an EXe today and the shop will hopefully have it built tomorrow. Looking forward to trying out a lightweight eBike since I have had several Levos and a Kenevo as well. A little concerned with the range if the extenders are not available, but will see how it goes. Biggest complaint with the full power eBikes is that I lose my top end power if I ride them too much. Hoping it is a little different with the lower power bike. I already have all my 5Dev stuff waiting to be installed as well.

Psythepie

Nov 28, 2022
UK
Is anyone else getting creak/pop noises from the motor area under hard pedaling efforts? I think it’s the motor mounts shifting slightly in the frame. On the ground, if I put a pedal at 6 o’clock and push the pedal toward the bike with my foot (I’m off the bike doing this) I can recreate the noise. But only once or twice then it stops like it has settled. If I go to the other side and do the same with the other pedal, same thing. Back to the other side and same thing again. So kind of like a pedaling effort.

I’ve checked the motor bolts previously and they were ok. I just upped the torque and can still recreate the noise in the garage. We’ll see if it’s any better tomorrow on the trail.
I am. It started a couple of rides ago but other than performing a bolt check like you did I haven't got around to investigating it further yet. What are your riding conditions like at the moment? My last few rides have been very wet & muddy & I was wondering if there was a link although I suspect not.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I am. It started a couple of rides ago but other than performing a bolt check like you did I haven't got around to investigating it further yet. What are your riding conditions like at the moment? My last few rides have been very wet & muddy & I was wondering if there was a link although I suspect not.
I had a clicking noise, one of the motor mounting bolts was not quite tight enough, tightened this up and it went away

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC

I posted this exact same thing in earlier threads. For me it turns out to be the two motor bolts. I took them out and re-lubed (grease) the bolt (NOT the threads), re-applied blue thread locker on the threads, and reinstalled, torqued to 20 Nm as per Trek's Service Manual. The clicking went away.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA

I only ride when the trails are dry or at least not muddy.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I've been reading up on other brands since I'm in the market for a bike, and something I've noticed with the Ex-e is that the motor and electronics are way more reliable. Basing this just on the lack of posts about issues.

My Norco Bigfoot has an EP8, and far I've gotten to the trail twice, and it does not turn on. Plug it into the charger, and it works. I was going to buy another Norco but this seams to be a common issue.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
C4862F7C-AE3A-4D52-961C-DCADA5A17FD2.jpeg

Joined the EXe club! Came of an Orbea Rise small size, got this one in a medium… pretty excited to get out on it!
Got the 9.8XT, and ridewrapped it with the matte ridewrap. Cashmoney Raceface pedals as an accent!

Last edited:

LuvnmyEXE

Nov 11, 2022
Annapolis, MD
That's not right, shock hardware should definitely be an interference fit into the bushing.

On FB, I believe it was the Aus EXe board, a few people had their Fox shocks warrantied through Trek dealers. Eyelets being out of tolerance was reported, but who knows. I think you would want to go through Trek who will expedite the warranty from Fox (if needed).

In case it helps: When I bought the Ohlins TTX1, it came with a white Igus bushing, which I assume was the Fox standard. The hardware off my Trek was a very sloppy fit, so I removed the igus bushing and pressed in a standard bronze DU bushing (these seem to be the Rockshox standard)- perfect fit. I think 99% of the time, the shock & frame are within tolerances, and any issues are really the result of a mismatch between bushings and shock hardware. I'd certainly try a new DU bushing and $10 hardware kit before a warranty that could take weeks.
I'm going to be installing a TTX1 also on my 9.8 Haven't been able to figure exactly what parts to order in terms of hardware (bushing and ??) from your description above. Could you provide additional details?

Tks in advance!

PS - have you had the out bike at Larrabee yet? Double down seemed to me one of the rowdiest natural style trails up in your area, although I'm sure there's plenty more you locals have that're not on trailforks etc...

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
View attachment 104989

Joined the EXe club! Came of an Orbea Rise small size, got this one in a medium… pretty excited to get out on it!
Got the 9.8XT, and ridewrapped it with the matte ridewrap. Cashmoney Raceface pedals as an accent!

let us know your thoughts with the EXe v. the Rise. I also came off the Rise. My only complaint is the range. Your bike is really nice.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
I posted this exact same thing in earlier threads. For me it turns out to be the two motor bolts. I took them out and re-lubed (grease) the bolt (NOT the threads), re-applied blue thread locker on the threads, and reinstalled, torqued to 20 Nm as per Trek's Service Manual. The clicking went away.

I took out the motor bolts and lubed them today. While putting back on the skid plate, I noticed my chainring has gotten loose again. I went for a ride anyways and still have the noise.

I’ve order the tools to tighten the chainring myself. While I’m retightening the chainring, I’m going to drop the motor out and lube up the faces that touch the frame and see if that helps.

…and my left crank has come loose again for the third time. Grr! I cleaned the bolt and threads really good today and put on a different Loctite. Hopefully I’m not chasing this constantly.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
let us know your thoughts with the EXe v. the Rise. I also came off the Rise. My only complaint is the range. Your bike is really nice.
Same! I like everything about this bike better than the rise, except I feel that with the Rise I would easily get double the range. Today was my first ride and I rode a mix of eco and trail, only couple boost minutes here and there for steep corners.

Rode for 2.5hrs, 600m of elevation on very very technical climbs, no fireroads or road, for 12km - much more of a workout than the rise, but I liked it! Ended up using 50% of the battery. Was hoping the range would be a bit better than this, but I can manage! Will get the extender once its out for extra long rides.

On my rise, this same lap would be maaybe 30% and I’d be able to use a lot of boost.

My friend is on kenevo sl and she only used 30% and she was in trail the whole ride (vs me using eco quite a bit too).

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
I'm going to be installing a TTX1 also on my 9.8 Haven't been able to figure exactly what parts to order in terms of hardware (bushing and ??) from your description above. Could you provide additional details?

Tks in advance!

PS - have you had the out bike at Larrabee yet? Double down seemed to me one of the rowdiest natural style trails up in your area, although I'm sure there's plenty more you locals have that're not on trailforks etc...
Sure thing. If memory serves me, the Ohlins came with Igus bushings (white nylon like Fox uses). I fit the shock up and noticed some play. I pried the igus bushings out and pressed in some standard bronze DU bushings, and those fit perfectly with the stock Rockshox shock hardware. If you were replacing a stock Fox shock with the Ohlins, then maybe the igus bushings will be fine (assuming you didn’t have the known hardware issues before).

Larabee/chuckanut, Yes! I ride there quote a bit, rode double-black/double-down friday in fact. We had a fantastic weekend of riding including lots of snow and mud. If you make it out here, let me know and we’ll do a tour!

Last edited:

Sly07

May 8, 2022
France
B
Même! J'aime tout ce qui concerne ce vélo mieux que la montée, sauf que je pense qu'avec la montée, j'obtiendrais facilement le double de la gamme. Aujourd'hui, c'était ma première sortie et j'ai parcouru un mélange d'éco et de trail, seulement quelques minutes de boost ici et là pour les virages escarpés.

J'ai roulé pendant 2h30, 600m de dénivelé sur des montées très très techniques, pas de feux de circulation ni de route, pendant 12km - beaucoup plus d'entraînement que la montée, mais j'ai bien aimé ! Fini par utiliser 50% de la batterie. J'espérais que la gamme serait un peu meilleure que cela, mais je peux gérer! Obtiendra le prolongateur une fois sorti pour de très longs trajets.

A mon ascension, ce même tour serait peut-être de 30% et je pourrais utiliser beaucoup de boost.

Mon amie est sur kenevo sl et elle n'en a utilisé que 30% et elle était en sentier tout le trajet (vs moi en utilisant pas mal d'éco aussi).
Bonjour, pour comparer l'autonomie du sl et du fuel exe, il faudrait paramétrer assistance et puissance identiques. Pour la puissance maxi il faut prendre en compte la différence 240/300w.
120 w c'est 50% sur le sl et 40% sur le trek
Pour l'assistance, les 2 moteurs apportent x200. Mais l'application Specialized va de 0 à 100% et Trek de 0 à 200%.
Je pense qu'une assistance de 40 % sur le trek correspond à 20 % sur le sl.
Êtes-vous d'accord avec ça ?

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Same! I like everything about this bike better than the rise, except I feel that with the Rise I would easily get double the range. Today was my first ride and I rode a mix of eco and trail, only couple boost minutes here and there for steep corners.

Rode for 2.5hrs, 600m of elevation on very very technical climbs, no fireroads or road, for 12km - much more of a workout than the rise, but I liked it! Ended up using 50% of the battery. Was hoping the range would be a bit better than this, but I can manage! Will get the extender once its out for extra long rides.

On my rise, this same lap would be maaybe 30% and I’d be able to use a lot of boost.

My friend is on kenevo sl and she only used 30% and she was in trail the whole ride (vs me using eco quite a bit too).
My experience is very similar. Yesterday I did 25.63 miles with 2,687‘ elevation. I finished with 4% battery left. With my Rise I did more feet and elevation, but never had to use eco, only trail and boost.

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
That’s why I decided to order the rise M team model 2023, only problem there is at this moment no delivery indication … maybe because of the new XT DI2 . Also the meaning to apply the Eplus tuning to 35km/h , what also will have an influence on the range, that’s why I will go for the 500+ battery, maybe even with the range extender to have possibly for (rarely)100km rides… most of the rides will be from 50-75km and around 750hm.This moment still on non emtb👍

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
IMG_1894.jpeg

Made a few setup changes and got my first ride in yesterday. Installed 160 5Dev cranks, 5Dev Ti stem, WA1 Union wheels (had these in my garage from another build) and headed out.

First off my bike came with the new Charger 3 damper in the fork instead of the Charger 2.1 that shows on the spec sheet so that was a nice surprise. Didn't have time to really play with suspension setup, but out of the box the new RockShox stuff is really good. My only complaint is that the Bontrager dropper is absolutely horrendous. Lever is really stiff and the action on the post itself is painfully slow. Easy fix to install a PNW or something similar though.

I was using the bike to pre ride some courses for my Enduro race yesterday and it worked perfectly. Rode mainly Eco with some Trail and a few kicks to Boost on steep fire roads. Only used about 30% battery and still got a nice warm up in. Need to change my stem to the 32 mm instead of the 48 mm, but other than that everything feels great. I am planning on installing a 160 air shaft in the Lyrik, but other than that just ready to put some miles on it.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
There has to be a Rise thread somewhere in this forum.
It was just asked as a comparison! I love the Trek haha. I think its helpful for people to know how it compares range wise - but the power deliver of the TQ is next level. It feels so natural, and that is what the EXe does so well; giving a natural feel but just give you that extra bit uphill.

Curious to see when the range extenders will come in. My local Trek shop did not have an ETA.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles