Fuel EXe Official Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

MLJumpman

Aug 25, 2022
The OC, California
You are correct as I live in OC and have been riding my Rise for just over a year now without a concern. During week days the ratio that I see is about 60% Ebikes and a little less on the weekends, so it’s really a non issue.

There’s a few trails around OC where Class 1 are legal, like San Clemente, Luge, O’niell Park, but the majority of trails I ride they are still prohibited.
Thanks for the insight! I'd imagine it's not a strict rule or the parks have people around looking to ticket e-bikes.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Thanks for the insight! I'd imagine it's not a strict rule or the parks have people around looking to ticket e-bikes.
No, there not actively looking to ticket you. They enforce riding/poaching illegal trails more then they do Ebikes. I may see a ranger out on the trails 2-3 times for every 50 rides or so.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
These bikes are starting to show up at dealers. I just took a medium 9.8 XT and a large 9.5 for a test ride. These bikes are everything I have been reading about…..BAD A$$. The motor is in fact near silent. It has a very natural pedal feel. There is ever so slight motor drag with no assist. As far as power output, it feels very consistent with the Orbea Rise I just sold. My 9.5 will be at my LBS in 2 days and will take about 1 week for the shop to strip it and build it to my specs.

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
Managed a couple of rides on mine this weekend.
I did get a strange couple of error codes thrown up. Both to do with the battery it seems. Power cut out and no other info was showing on the display.
Channeling my inner IT support power, I cycled it off and on again and it was fine. No other issues.

I've noticed a slight rattle on mine too, could be cables and I'll try to nail it down.

There is also a very strange click noise from the drivetrain area under load.

These minor items aside, I'm still astounded by this bike. And I'm not alone.

On my local morning ride I see another Fuel Ex-e, we get talking. He loves his (coming from a full power Ebike). Then another rider turns up and he's on one, like me coming from a normal trail bike. All having the same fun experience.

What I'm noticing is how on certain climbs, where I use no support, I'd expect to be gassed but it doesn't happen. One feels the weight compared to a normal bike but it still get up the hills and you're not caned tired either...

When the support comes in though it's just excellent.

I may have to ride my normal bike soon otherwise I'll be ruined forever!
20220828_092054.jpg

Dale_Calgary

Jan 22, 2022
Calgary
Took one out for a rip today at the LBS and it's pretty sweet! Defiantly not as powerful as my full fatty but very stealthy and quiet. Weight does matter for some with lifting the bike on the rack etc, great option.

BenQ77

Aug 27, 2022
Germany
Just for reference , this is from the gopro video today . Pretty noisy and distracting for my wife haha

Hello,
are there any news regarding the rattling noises and the electrical failure of the engine?

Greetings
Ben

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
Hello,
are there any news regarding the rattling noises and the electrical failure of the engine?

Greetings
Ben
Hi Ben,

Unfortunately the third motor crapped out during the uphill and started jerking in addition to the grinding noise. There was also a clicking noise when it was jerking. It is now at the LBS so not sure what is happening to it. My wife really wants to keep the bike so fingers crossed everything will be sorted soon. It has spent the last three weeks at the bike store as after every second ride, the motor starts playing up so we drop it back off again.

Otherwise its a cool bike, just not sure if its worth it with all the issues she's facing with it.

unnamed.jpeg

BenQ77

Aug 27, 2022
Germany
Hi Ben,

Unfortunately the third motor crapped out during the uphill and started jerking in addition to the grinding noise. There was also a clicking noise when it was jerking. It is now at the LBS so not sure what is happening to it. My wife really wants to keep the bike so fingers crossed everything will be sorted soon. It has spent the last three weeks at the bike store as after every second ride, the motor starts playing up so we drop it back off again.

Otherwise its a cool bike, just not sure if its worth it with all the issues she's facing with it.

View attachment 96022

Hello, thanks for the information.

Hope your wife gets a working bike soon.

I'm from Germany and I would like to buy a Light EMTB and the Trek is the first that comes closest to my ideas.
So, if there is something new, it would be great if you could inform us here in the forum.

Thanks.

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
Hello, thanks for the information.

Hope your wife gets a working bike soon.

I'm from Germany and I would like to buy a Light EMTB and the Trek is the first that comes closest to my ideas.
So, if there is something new, it would be great if you could inform us here in the forum.

Thanks.
Hi Ben

Thanks for that. On a positive note, the LBS has just emailed my wife saying she will receive a new 9.8 tomorrow so she is really excited and over the moon. Hoping her bike was just a lemon! Will update with her new bike.

She really loves her exe and other than the issues, it rides like a normal bike and is agile.

Jujujuice

Jul 14, 2022
NZ
not good news! Slightly OT but how are you finding the Rail 9.8?
Yes but on a positive note, evo cycles have been great and just emailed her saying she will receive a new 9.8 tomorrow.

The rail 9.8 rides superbly well. The suspension is top notch with the zeb select and the rear shock has great small bump sensitivity. It also seems quieter than my old rail. The smart system is very responsive to my riding style as well and the kiox screen offers greater rider information. No complaints at all, I just needed to put on a wider handlebar as I am pretty tall.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Hi Ben

Thanks for that. On a positive note, the LBS has just emailed my wife saying she will receive a new 9.8 tomorrow so she is really excited and over the moon. Hoping her bike was just a lemon! Will update with her new bike.

She really loves her exe and other than the issues, it rides like a normal bike and is agile.
Hopefully these issues are isolated to the batch in NZ. I haven’t heard of problems in other parts of the world.

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Thanks for sharing! Would you recommend Fuel Exe over your full fat and why or why not?
If I can jump in here. My first ebike weighed 25kg and had very progressive geometry and plenty of power from the Bosch motor. It was very fast uphill but lacked the agility I like. Then a friend lent me a Specialized Levo SL to try and I then bought one. Obviously, it requires more input from the rider but is certainly powerful enough and fast enough for me. It’s just more fun to ride.

Range is good with a range extender.

The Levo SL was the first light weight ebike but now two years later there is more choice, most larger makes are working on bringing out ebikes that are lighter and there will be a new Levo SL in the next six months.

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
These bikes are starting to show up at dealers. I just took a medium 9.8 XT and a large 9.5 for a test ride. These bikes are everything I have been reading about…..BAD A$$. The motor is in fact near silent. It has a very natural pedal feel. There is ever so slight motor drag with no assist. As far as power output, it feels very consistent with the Orbea Rise I just sold. My 9.5 will be at my LBS in 2 days and will take about 1 week for the shop to strip it and build it to my specs.

...what is your build going to consist of?

Ace

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
...what is your build going to consist of?

Ace

Build Kit:

- X01 AXS derailleur and shifter
- SRAM GX Eagle cassette (wanted the extra strength over the XX1 Eagle)
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Nox Farlow; 27.5 rear wheel / 29 front wheel (gonna run it mullet)
- DT Swiss Competition Spokes
- Deity Bladerunner pedals
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- Deity Skywire 35 mm handlebars
- E13 E-spec carbon 160 mm cranks
- Shimano XTR 9120 brakes
- Bike Yoke Revive dropper post, 160 mm
- Fox Float X2 shock
- Fox 36 Performance Elite 160 mm fork
- Specialized Power Arc Pro seat
- SRAM HS2 disc brake rotors - 200 mm
- Bridgestone Kryptotal RE 27.5 (rear tire); Kryptotal FR 29 (front tire)
- Huck Norris tire inserts (rear only)
- Lizard Skin Peatty lock-on grips
- Jagwire braided cables
- PNW Components dropper post lever
- MTX Gold Label ceramic pads
- Trek Range Extender

All parts will be silver, chrome. Spokes as well. The bike is in Dnister Black. This is not a cheap build, but it will still be a little less than the 9.9 XTR factory bike (including the range extender). In my opinion, it will be a much better build. I went “all in” on this one. The bike shop credited me about $1,500 for all of the take-off parts.

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Mainly just for curiosity, but has anyone got a weight for the range extender?

surprised they don't offer specs on their website. Trek is usually good about that. The 360 watt down tube battery is 2.2 kg, so I would think the 160 watt extender couldn’t be much more than 1/2 the weight of the 360 watt battery. That would be hardly more than a full 24 oz water bottle. Not bad.

• Helpful
Reactions: Zed

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
Build Kit:

- X01 AXS derailleur and shifter
- XX1 Eagle cassette
- XX1 Eagle Chain
- I9 Hydra Hubs
- Nox Farlow; 27.5 rear wheel / 29 front wheel (gonna run it mullet)
- DT Swiss Competition Spokes
- Deity Bladerunner pedals
- Deity Apex 35 stem
- Deity Skywire 35 mm handlebars
- E13 E-spec carbon 160 mm cranks
- Shimano XT 8120 brakes
- Bike Yoke Revive dropper post, 160 mm
- Fox Float X2 shock
- Fox 36 Performance Elite 160 mm fork
- Specialized Power Arc Pro seat
- SRAM HS2 disc brake rotors - 200 mm
- Bridgestone Kryptotal RE 27.5 (rear tire); Kryptotal FR 29 (front tire)
- Huck Norris tire inserts (rear only)
- Lizard Skin Peatty lock-on grips
- Jagwire braided cables
- PNW Components dropper post lever
- MTX Gold Label ceramic pads
- Trek Range Extender

all parts will be silver, chrome. Spokes as well. The bike is in Dnister Black. This is not a cheap build, but it will still be a little less than the 9.9 AXS factory bike (including the range extender). In my opinion, it will be a much better build. I went “all in” on this one.

...DAMN nice build!!!

yase

Jul 30, 2022
Perth
9.8 buyers beware! Some of these bikes, mine included, have been fitted with the much lower spec and price alloy cranks in lieu of the carbon cranks listed in the spec sheet. The store was unaware of this and said Trek headquarters stated that there was a long lead time associated with the carbon cranks and they did not want to delay release of the bikes. I can totally understand the reasoning behind this and am pleased my bike was not delayed, however it is pretty piss poor that they did not notify customers of this and proceeded to charge them full price.

I suggest that everyone who has received or is expecting a 9.8 or 9.9 check for this as I have seen pics of other 9.8 bikes with the alloy cranks.

Aside from this I am absolutely loving the bike, perfect in every way and have no regrets switching from my Ibis Ripmo V2.

Cranks.png

Last edited:

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
9.8 buyers beware! Some of these bikes, mine included, have been fitted with the much lower spec and price alloy cranks in lieu of the carbon cranks listed in the spec sheet. The store was unaware of this and said Trek headquarters stated that there was a long lead time associated with the carbon cranks and they did not want to delay release of the bikes. I can totally understand the reasoning behind this and am pleased my bike was not delayed, however it is pretty piss poor that they did not notify customers of this and proceeded to charge them full price.

I suggest that everyone who has received or is expecting a 9.8 or 9.9 check for this as I have seen pics of other 9.8 bikes with the alloy cranks.

Aside from this I am absolutely loving the bike, perfect in every way and have no regrets switching from my Ibis Ripmo V2.

View attachment 96299
i would press the LBS to make good on it

yase

Jul 30, 2022
Perth
3 options

1 - request a refund of the price difference and ride the alloy's
2 - wait 6-12 months for stock (lead time unknown)
3 - purchase from a retailer with stock (not many), wait till they arrive, have LBS swap cranks, request full refund for cost of carbon cranks. Probably best to have the LBS agree to this prior to proceeding.

I went with option 3

four_seven

Sep 1, 2022
Wellington, New Zealand

View attachment 96299
Just checked, my 9.8 XT is the same. I’ll get in touch with the LBS and see what they can offer, thanks for posting!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles